The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fixing Crafting Build

Unseelie
Unseelie
✭✭✭✭
So...I made a rather huge mistake in concept when I decided to make a character just for crafting. I figured I would have one all around crafter to take care of it all, and to make it easy to move recipes and plans to one character and the future was bright.
Until now I quickly an starting to understand the error in putting no points or skills into any combat functions and instead putting them into all crafting skills.
How do you do it?
Should I just move most points into combat skills and get a bunch of levels under my belt and then respec to crafting? Or just put a few points here and there into class skills and level as needed?
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to run all zones main quests every quest that gives you a skill point then you need to collect every skyshard from zones delves and public dungeons and as many group dungeons as you can, then run all dlc zone stories and sky shards collection if you still need skill points then all of Cyrodiil skyshards

My main crafter haves every crafting lines and class two weapon lines filled in with all passives and vampire skill line still have plenty spare skill points
    Edited by macsmooth on January 12, 2020 7:18PM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that hard to get enough skill points for all your class skill lines and all the crafts. But you can probably get away with just a spammable and one AoE DoT for overland questing. Just get the passives.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »
    It's not that hard to get enough skill points for all your class skill lines and all the crafts. But you can probably get away with just a spammable and one AoE DoT for overland questing. Just get the passives.

I'd throw in some type of self heal as well.
  • ziggr
    ziggr
    ✭✭✭
    Maxxed out crafting consumes ~100 skill points. There are at least three times that many skill points available in the game.

If you plan on collecting crafting Survey Reports on your crafter, then your crafter needs at least combat survivability because some survey reports are behind trash mobs.

For alt-crafters, I usually level an alt up to 110 skill points or so, then respec into crafting and never take that alt out of town again (because they would die to mudcrabs). For my main crafters, I keep leveling until around 200 skill points, and never bother respeccing.

200 skill points are pretty easy to acquire, just do as the previous posters recommended. If you're on PC, Urich's Skill Point Finder can help you find where uncollected skill points await your visit.
    Edited by ziggr on January 13, 2020 12:55AM
  • Unseelie
    Unseelie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very much appreciated everyone
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made my main crafter a tank, to survive in the wild, and she became a decent tank for dungeons. Level up to CP, so the decent armour is available, and you can build a character that's almost able to ignore everyone else. They won't do a lot of damage, though, and it can be annoying if you're stuck in combat, and can't harvest until you dispose of the attacker.

After that, I've had all my characters invest in crafting skills after they complete their combat ones, and now they all are at Level 50, max crafting rank, and have researched 8 traits in all equipment, plus 4 in jewels. The rest is too expensive. At least have your combat characters able to make their own food and potions when they run out in the field. It's usually faster to run to a crafting station than swap characters.
    Edited by ghastley on January 13, 2020 4:23PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can level crafting with barely any skill points. Maybe a dozen for Research Passives. It takes almost 140 Skill to fully invest in crafting. So, load up combat skills while leveling crafting. Once you get up around 220 or so Skill Points, you can make a deadly master crafter. And, you can have the Gear skills leveled before you get the points invested.

Also, Alchemy, Provisioning and even to an extent Enchanting can be leveled in minutes. So, temporarily pass that burden off to an alt or two. Reality, your going to make a batch of potions and use them over time. You only need 2 or 3 provisioning recipes to support your CP160 characters, so those 3 crafts don't need all that much attention.

For sure, pick one character to learn all the recipes on, even if you are not ready to spend the skill points to make the stuff.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In crafting, skip the passives for spotting resources. At least for me, I didn’t find it that helpful, just took getting used to what to look for. I would also skip the hireling, although I’ve heard many say it was useful, but even on my character with maxed crafting skill (all 10 skill points) I just got mats that I already have in abundance (but I am always looting and gathering).

Skill points is why I think most make a character they’re completing story quests / exploration / etc. their main crafter as you’ll have an abundance of skill points on them anyway. Only when I was first staring out did I feel like I was compromising between crafting and combat. Now I’m leveling up ledgerdomain and thieves guild with them. :)

Main point, your main crafter should be a character you play a lot (and so you’ll have the skill points anyway) unless you don’t mind grinding skill points or buying skyshards for them.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's lots of skill points available. I don't have that issue. I went the other way though and found that I had to duplicate styles in order to have them on all my crafters. So I was farming three of each page of the same style. I deeply regretted that because I wound up buying them from guild stores because I couldn't farm them fast enough. Yeah, it got really expensive so then I went to one master crafter with 5 supportive crafters (all crafts maxed out, all traits researched but just the basic styles learned). Works much better this way imo.

Piece of advice for getting skill points: go to Cyrodiil and do the basic training quest. All it is is learning how to use the seige weappns and repair them. You will get 3 skill points for this for about 3-5 mins of dialogue and no fighting (pvp or pve).
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on January 13, 2020 11:53PM
    Give 'er eh!
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In crafting, skip the passives for spotting resources. At least for me, I didn’t find it that helpful, just took getting used to what to look for. I would also skip the hireling, although I’ve heard many say it was useful, but even on my character with maxed crafting skill (all 10 skill points) I just got mats that I already have in abundance (but I am always looting and gathering).

Skill points is why I think most make a character they’re completing story quests / exploration / etc. their main crafter as you’ll have an abundance of skill points on them anyway. Only when I was first staring out did I feel like I was compromising between crafting and combat. Now I’m leveling up ledgerdomain and thieves guild with them. :)

Main point, your main crafter should be a character you play a lot (and so you’ll have the skill points anyway) unless you don’t mind grinding skill points or buying skyshards for them.

Another way you can get skill points back is by respeccing your points for research. Once your done researching all your traits you don't need them anymore.
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on January 13, 2020 11:50PM
    Give 'er eh!
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main character is a fighter and a crafter. But I didn't put the points into the crafting skills first. It takes a while to level up your crafting and do research to where you can make everything. Move your points to other skills until your crafting levels are fully finished. Then you'll have a well-rounded character who can fight and craft and still has skill points left over.
  • Unseelie
    Unseelie
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main character is a fighter and a crafter. But I didn't put the points into the crafting skills first. It takes a while to level up your crafting and do research to where you can make everything. Move your points to other skills until your crafting levels are fully finished. Then you'll have a well-rounded character who can fight and craft and still has skill points left over.

I think that sounds like the best path
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unseelie wrote: »

I think that sounds like the best path

If you've been playing for a while you may have a respec scroll sitting in your bank or inventory. I think we got one from daily rewards a month or so ago. If so you don't have to spend the gold to move your skill points around. I have one that I would give you if they weren't bound (if we we're on the same platform).

Also, it's a good idea to try to keep your crafting skills filled with enough points to keep up with the level you're at. I'm not looking at the game right now but I'll try to make a decent hypothetical example. Like, if your clothing skill level is at 15, if you have enough skill points invested you can make things out of ebonthread (this is wrong but I'm just trying to make an example). But if you have no skill pints invested you can only make things out of jute, and they aren't as strong as ebonthread. See where I'm going with this? Keep your crafting up with your levels so you can make things at the proper level for your character. You don't want your level 45 guy wearing armor made of steel instead of Rubedite because you didn't invest the skill points as you went along. And always always always have research going. I was able to finish all my research in almost exactly a year because I was as proactive as I could possibly be with it.

Good luck!
    Edited by LadySinflower on January 14, 2020 7:44PM