The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Joined in Dec 2019 - need to buy Summerset Isles expansion to craft Jewelry?

kelthehero
Hey gang, I've been looking for this info everywhere and cannot find it. I joined ESO in Nov/Dec 2019. Can I craft jewelry or do I need the Summerset expansion? Either way, do I just walk up to a station and try crafting or is there a trainer as there is for the other crafts? TIA!
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You definitely need to have Summerset in order to be certified for doing jewelry writs, because there's only 1 NPC who does the certification and he's only found in Summerset-- in Alinor, to be exact, just outside of the crafting area. He should be easy to find because there will be a quest marker over him.

If you have Summerset but have never been there yet, you should be able to take a wayshrine to the Shimmerene wayshrine. However, I would recommend going by boat instead, because Shimmerene is on the east coast and Alinor is on the west coast, and if you travel to Summerset by boat you should land at the docks just north of Alinor.

Now, if you don't have Summerset, I believe you can still use jewelry crafting stations; you just can't do jewelry writs.

EDIT: By the way, this is also true of the other types of crafting stations-- you can just walk up to them and start using them, which will add that crafting line to your Skills page. But to do writs for that crafting line you must be certified in it.

The only difference is that the 2 NPCs for the other crafting lines are part of the base game and can be found in several different zones.

Also, if you've already used the stations and are experienced at refining raw materials, creating items, and deconstructing items, you won't need to go through the full certification process; when you talk to the NPC who certifies for a given crafting line, they should give you the option to skip the tutorial quest and be certified right away.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on January 7, 2020 12:17AM
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can be a member of ESO+ and not need Summerset, @kelthehero, to access jewelry crafting ... since ESO+ gives access to DLC content.

After you’ve decided on one of those, yes, just walk up to a crafting table and/or do the certification quest in Alinor (must be level 6 to start the quest).

Edited by Taleof2Cities on January 7, 2020 12:11AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't own Summerset, you will be unable to interact with the Jewelry Crafting stations.

You can still pick up the nodes in overland, but you won't be able to refine the materials, but you can sell them in guild stores.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    If you don't own Summerset, you will be unable to interact with the Jewelry Crafting stations.

You can still pick up the nodes in overland, but you won't be able to refine the materials, but you can sell them in guild stores.

I wasn't sure about that (interacting with the jewelry crafting stations), because I bought Summerset during the pre-release.

If you do have access to Summerset, either through purchase or ESO+, it's definitely worth making the trip to Alinor on your new characters to get certified.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Addendum: If you are accessing Summerset through ESO+ without outright purchasing the expansion, you will lose the ability to interact with jewelry stations if your subscription lapses. This will occur even if you get your jewelry certification. Unlike other skill lines, jewelry is totally dependent on having access to the island.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Addendum: If you are accessing Summerset through ESO+ without outright purchasing the expansion, you will lose the ability to interact with jewelry stations if your subscription lapses. This will occur even if you get your jewelry certification. Unlike other skill lines, jewelry is totally dependent on having access to the island.

Ah...that's interesting! Yes, with, say the TG skill line, even if you lose access to the DLC, you still have the skill line and can progress/use the skills. But, Jewelry Crafting is entirely dependent on having access to the DLC.

I recommend getting certified in JC as soon as possible, as the daily writs will help you level up the craft. You'll want to keep up with it, though, investing skillpoints to improve your crafting rank so you can do higher level writs for higher level inspiration and gear to decon. If you have multiple characters, I recommend getting them all certified to do JC writs. This way, you can gain JC inspiration on all characters doing writs, but then feed the intricate/ornate pieces to just one crafter to level them up faster. I've gotten all 11 of my characters to level 50 in JC with this method, in combination with breaking down absolutely every piece of jewelry I wasn't planning on using, on one character at a time.
  • kelthehero
    Thanks all, I can get to Summerset Isles, so I'll try the advice about finding the "certifier". And I have a vague memory that I did try to use a JC bench and wasn't able to do so. Though as Taleof2Cities mentions, that may have been because my character was still too new?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The certification NPC is near the crafting area in Alinor, @kelthehero ... it’s a pretty short quest.
  • kelthehero
    Just an update. I tried to use a JC bench (not in Summerset, rather in Shadowfen, as I recall) and got this message in the upper right corner "You must have access to Summerset in order to use a Jewelry Crafting station". So the last thing I will do before shelling out money is to go to Summerset, both try the JC stations there and seek out the certifier, and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your insight, very much appreciated.