Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

"This Account Is Already Logged In" intermittent message

nordmeyerx
nordmeyerx
✭✭
From time to time, when trying to log into ESO, I will get a message: "This Account Is Already Logged In". Restarting the client, or trying again does not work. If I restart the PC, however I can get in.

I am 99.9% sure that my account is not hacked or in use because a) A restart always corrects the issue and b) none of my characters/inventory is missing, stolen, deleted or maligned in any way.

When I logout of ESO, I use the "Quit" option. The ESO client icon is not in the systray at the time this happens, and in Task manager I see nothing ESO related.

I changed my password on the offchance this was a security issue and it still occurs.

Is there some file/token/process/etc that is remaining on my system after I quit the game that prevents future login attempts?

System Info:

Windows 10 Pro
21 GB RAM
i7 CPU 2.80 GHZ
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does it happen when you first log on after not playing for a while? I sometimes get the error when I get kicked or the game crashes and I try loading in too soon, like the game hasn't fully unloaded my account.
    Options
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    It happens when I first try and login after starting up my PC for the day. I play the game every day.

I should also note, when I shut down the PC for the evening I use the "Shut Down" option, which, on Windows 10 does not actually restart the PC but puts it into a hibernation type phase to reboot faster. (i.e. uptime in the task manager does not reflect the O/S was restarted).

If I do a Restart (which resets the PC uptime) then I can get in.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmeyerx wrote: »
    From time to time, when trying to log into ESO, I will get a message: "This Account Is Already Logged In". Restarting the client, or trying again does not work. If I restart the PC, however I can get in.

This is a game error that happens when you are trying to log in. I get this about once per day.

You don't need to do anything more than wait for about 30 seconds, then try again.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just been getting it myself, slightly alarming to see come up.

Is this a confirmed issue at the moment?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only see this if I was booted from the game or i forced quit for some reason.

@nordmeyerx

Are you using the Start Menu, Power method, or hitting the power button on the PC or Keyboard? You can change the behaviour from Sleep to an actual Power Off in the Settings.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • nordmeyerx
    nordmeyerx
    ✭✭
    I am using Windows Icon --> Power Icon --> Shut Down.

One thing I am going to try which I didn't think of until now is to Log Out of ESO and then Quit the game instead of just using the Quit option. I'll see if that alleviates the problem.

Options
  • Prrasha
    Prrasha
    ✭✭✭
    I just got it on a fresh login.

Same as the original poster: Windows10 "shutdown", did a quit but not a "logout, then quit" from the game yesterday, etc. Waited for the "quit" timer to count down and the ESO program to end on its own.

Waiting a minute "fixed" it.
    Options
  • WetYoda
    WetYoda
    ✭✭
    I'm also intermittently seeing the "This Account Is Already Logged In" error.

A priority fix should be released as this is a security concern. It doesn't make sense to tell players to ignore such an error.
    PC NA - GM of Atrocious Love Letter and proud owner of an imgakin monkey
    Options
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I am getting that error right now, I came here to see if anyone else was getting it.
    Definately gives you a fright.

Yep waiting a minute solves the issue.
    Options
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Dragonhold patch notes:
    Added a 30 second wait time between logins from the same account to fix a variety of data corruption issues that could affect characters. If you try to log into the same account within the 30 second window, you will receive an error message stating the account is already in use.
    Note: This will not have any impact on swapping characters
    Options