The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So when it comes down to in PVP?

SocialAssassin
SocialAssassin
✭✭✭
I have never tried PVP in ESO before? What are the benefits? Do you earn High-Level Gear etc? So when it comes down to it. Is it Gear, Build or both.
Edited by SocialAssassin on December 31, 2019 6:10AM
“I’m The Best There Is At What I Do. But What I Do Isn't Very Nice…” - Wolverine/Logan/James Howlett

So when it comes down to in PVP? 28 votes

Gear
7%
skrvbb10rdiLeftyy 2 votes
Build
10%
validifyedneb18_ESOSpiderKnightTaunky 3 votes
Gear and Build
82%
akredon_ESOSolarikenGilvothDTStormfoxwild_kmacdb16_ESOdennissomb16_ESOxenowarrior92eb17_ESOWingtechnohicChefZeroCaffeinatedMayhemphermitgbmoleculeSomewhereAztriasKarmanorwayOlgierdIskiabmacsmoothGreystag 23 votes
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear is part of the build
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No fun option!? :(

However, you also get Cyrodiil specific gear sets, gold jewelry if you rank high enough & juicy transmute stones (way too many).

You can get Telvar & Prysmatic runes from Imperial City.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not any gear worth getting or grinding in PVP or in BG's.

All you need in pvp nowadays is a cancer magicka templar or a pet sorc. Tons of healing and better burst than a nightblade because **** balance.
    Edited by Kalante on December 31, 2019 8:31AM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    transmute stones and fun.

Most of the sets you get via PVP you can buy on guild traders.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You see, pve endgame is vet cloudrest hardmode. Once youve cleared that it all becomes predictable and easy.

In pvp, however, the dynamics are always different. You can never predict. And of course, it is a lot of fun.
    Edited by siddique on December 31, 2019 7:02AM
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't get the poll. Are you asking whether you earn valuable gear through PvP, or whether build or gear matters more? Your post says the former, while your poll says the latter, since it includes build.

If you meant the former, then it depends. Like any content in ESO, there are certain sets gated behind PvP, in one way or another, in an attempt to draw more people in on the basis of acquiring the gear they need to complete their build. Not every set is optimal for every build or every type of content, so it really depends on your build and which content you'll be running.

If you meant the latter, gear is one component of your build, so both, but actually build. The way I think of it, your gear only gives you the stats necessary to effectively use your skills, but at the same time you need to use the skills properly in order to effectively use the stats that your gear offers. They're both important, and directly connected in such a way that you can't really have one without the other.
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its more to do with skill tbh.
    Im an average player but I Cyro junkie, theres lots of cookie cutter builds with identical gear, some I kill, some I don't, its all about how good the player is.

And Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag :)

Be safe
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where is "because it is fun" option?
    Also it doesn't get repetitive with the new encounters, fights, human beings etc
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't get anything, you play it because it's fun. It's also pretty neat to have a couple of millions of AP in case the golden vendor gives some nice goldie jewelry
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean? Are you asking what makes you good in PvP?

Knowing what you're doing goes a long way. Being strategic and tactical and having good reaction times.
    The Moot Councillor
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't get anything through PVP that you can't get by other means. You might just get it faster through PVP, but that's it.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kalante wrote: »
    All you need in pvp nowadays is a cancer tank. Tons of resistance, still great burst damage and Vigor healing in abundance making each Stamina player a healer.
    Fixed that for you.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build
    vestahls wrote: »
    You don't get anything through PVP that you can't get by other means. You might just get it faster through PVP, but that's it.

Cyrodiil sets are basically the only gear you need PVP for, and Deadly strikes as a top DPS set is usually not quite as good as AY. Curse eater is good, but mostly just for more PVP as far as I am aware.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is just another part of the game to enjoy (or not). Just like raiders, they do not do it for the gear but for the enjoyment since they keep at it long after they farmed all the gear they need.

Why do it if you are not enjoying it?
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »

Cyrodiil sets are basically the only gear you need PVP for, and Deadly strikes as a top DPS set is usually not quite as good as AY. Curse eater is good, but mostly just for more PVP as far as I am aware.

It's not just the sets, although Phoenix, as an example, is good in general for survival. Pretty sure it was used for no-death trials before it got nerfed.

But there's also polymorphs from IC that are good, but you can also buy them in a Guild Store. Same thing for the Militant Ordinator motifs, which are available at the BG merchant, but can also be found in Guilds.
    Edited by vestahls on December 31, 2019 3:28PM
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • faeeichenlaub
    faeeichenlaub
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't currently run any sets you get from pvp. If your medium bow build. There are some useful pvp sets. Marksmans. Deadly strike. But like others said. Do it for the fun. The challenge of defeating something other than predictable AI. Working as a group.
    "Azura give me strength, Let my voice change the world as long as I am in it."
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fun factor.
  • lpw
    lpw
    ✭✭✭
    PVP is more about skill and experience but it's a lot of fun! A skilled player who has been playing PVP for years could destroy a fully geared noobie with almost any build.

There are some great PVP guides available online to help you get started, also there are some great PVPers who have Youtube and Twitch channels that could help you.
    ///// AD Master Race Since 2014 /////

Sindri al'Atreyu | Wood Elf Templar
    Eivii | Wood Elf Nightblade
    Saurmia | High Elf Magicka Templar

PC/EU - Beta Tester
  • H3IIi0N
    H3IIi0N
    ✭✭
    Gear & build make a huge difference. You can enter Cyrodil at 10 & experiment. I used to level up in there at the quest hubs before you could capture them.

It can be frustrating as a new person because you’ll get curb stomped most of the time. There’s people that literally never leave Cyrodil. They enjoy Pvdooring empty keeps. Gets boring fast unfortunately.
    Denubis Djinn Dunmer DK - XB1 NA EP
    Derpy Derpwnz Khajit NB - XB1 NA AD
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You earn transmutation stones, gold, AP, and certain gear set pieces.

"Mistakes were made."

I'm not sure what you wish to know with your last question, but to make a guess..

First, PVP comes down to that thoroughly understanding the mechanics of your class is very important, (damage mitigation, how you do damage, resource management, etc).

Second, create a build that compliments your class for PVP. What this means is learned the hard way, which is the best way. Be prepared to die a lot, but be sure to learn from it. Everyone that plays in Cyrodiil goes through this process.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gear and Build
    @SocialAssassin why there is no L2P choice? sure gear and build makes 25% of the kit...but if u just bad it doesnt matter.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gear and Build
    The choice should be CP or not. In Non-CP your gear is everything, with CP gear still matters, but you have more flexibility.
  • DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear and Build
    The choice should be CP or not. In Non-CP your gear is everything, with CP gear still matters, but you have more flexibility.

Completely agree. Gear has much more impact in no-cp.
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player

• ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    Gear and Build
    Gear and build. Gear is part of build. But a build will only take you so far. You can make your own or follow a streamers build. KristoferESO on YouTube has really cool builds for PVP. The thing that really matters is rotation and how efficient are you with it. That separates the good to godly pvpers from the bad to ok pvpers. Elite build + efficient with rotation = good pvp player. If one of those lacks then you won’t be good.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVP in Cyrodiil is stacking defense, stacking heals, and out-animation-canceling your opponent. Or, just join a group, then it becomes AOE trains vs AOE trains.
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't understand the poll at all. If it's asking what benefits you get from playing PVP content, there definitely need to be more options.

PVP will give you 2 new skill lines which are very useful in both PVP and PVE--in particular players use the Assault skill line for the warhorn and for Vigor, which is a stamina-based heal. PVP is also a great way to get transmute stones, AP, and Telvar stones for purchasing gear from the Gold Vendor or special runes in Imperial City.

For many, PVP is also fun (myself included).

Gear? Eh, most of the PVP gear is only good for PVP.

As far as what you NEED to play PVP, both gear and build are important since they affect each other.
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of those.

The only thing that matters is your connection. 50% of fights comes down to lag. The rest are determined by numbers and experience with tactics/strategies the enemy might use.

As long as you have impenetrable, a heal, a cc you should be good to go. You can crunch numbers to get the most out of pairing the right skill with the right armor (example using bleed skills with bleed enhancing armor) but no amount of calculation is going to prepare you for load screens.

-Play with a guild.

-Set a pre determined limit when you will stop and actually stop. it doesn’t feel like rage quitting if you always planned to leave at 7 or whatever.

-Prepare to die every 3 minutes.

That’s it.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalante wrote: »
    All you need in pvp nowadays is a cancer tank. Tons of resistance, still great burst damage and Vigor healing in abundance making each Stamina player a healer.
    Fixed that for you.

They just nerfed vigor...
    Edited by max_only on December 31, 2019 6:34PM
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom