The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Best PvE class for endgame but mostly solo content.

Valykc
Valykc
✭✭✭✭✭
Edit: I finally beat VMA. Thanks everyone!

I’ve put off VMA and other Arenas for far too long and I’m looking at making one of my toons a PvE hero. I have all classes leveled and I’m CP810+. I know the mechanics of maelstrom but I need to still get better a bit. Furthermore, I just get too angry and rage quit and lose my progress before I can finish it lol. I heard that StamSorc and MagBlade are the best for VMA but I’m not sure if anything changed. I don’t want to play MagSorc, one bar or whatever. I know I can do it if I can muster up enough patience lol. I want to use this character for trials and PvE gear farming runs after completing VMA. I am also a master crafter so if you want to suggest gear then that would also be appreciated. So leave your vote for the toons I have or comment other.

Thanks everyone.
Edited by Valykc on January 1, 2020 12:20AM

Best PvE class for endgame but mostly solo content. 51 votes

StamSorc
23%
BlazedonthondelinkKeriokoCloudlessCerboltWaffelDragonborn1973colossalvoidsrabidmyersKilcosuWyrd88TheWayOfZay 12 votes
MagBlade
13%
cubampub17_ESOCielster_WoodmauleseWrathOfInnosStarlight_KnightUntilValhalla13TaemiruRainfallz 7 votes
StamCro
9%
C0L0SSUSFakeFoxFugativeMizoreReyesSteveowatt 5 votes
MagDK
5%
AsardeshighndsBradyfjord 3 votes
MagDen
19%
Sirieliavalidifyedneb18_ESOSomewhereRunefangEl_BorrachoSidraWillowskyhackdrag0nxWarbrainImSoProthadjarvis 10 votes
Other
27%
kojouShaloknirXvorgGERMANO-THE-IMPERIALBananamocapccfeelingAnotherone773IskiabVinterskaldMellowMagicCupid_Stuntsproatttwhat_the 14 votes
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both magblade and stam sorc r relatively easy, gear i always recommend first timers to use iceheart
    For mag pfg is really nice,
    For stam VO is great.
    Edited by zvavi on December 30, 2019 5:17PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Magplar I think is the easiest. Magblade hasn’t been best for vMA for a while.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Kilcosu
    Kilcosu
    ✭✭✭
    StamSorc
    werewolf for easy mode too.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    MagDen
    I can't comment on Magblade as I have not done it on one. It's known to be easy for vMA but that assumes one is good at magblade generally.

Stamsorc is super strong with surge/hurri. Was my 1st stam clear back when I had <20k parse face tanking with Brawler. Note though for stam it feels that you have to be quicker generally to get to and burn ranged mobs.

Magden (my vote and my main so bias included): besides bosses/mechanics, ranged enemies tend to cause the most trouble. So, we usually burn them first. Magden turns that upside down: using their shield on some stages you can opt to ignore ranged letting them kill themselves. Living vines is strong too as it is both a HoT and burst heal in one skill slot.

Gear: if you have VO and not FG, any Stam will be easier than any Mag and vice versa imo.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    MagDen
    Note that Sorc, NB, and Templar tend to be used the most on leadboard. Terrible runs of the other classes will usually still get you a weekly. If you're going to farm it, you may want to use multiple toons to get multiple weekly rewards.
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t have a full five piece of VO as the trials have never been kind to me with giving me the things I actually want. I think I’ll try it on my StamSorc since I do have briarheart, that should help a decent amount with extra healing. Thanks everyone
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MagDen
    Magden is a great class to use. The bear takes a decent amount of aggro and shields negate the dangerous ranged adds.

They have good self heals and excellent resource management.

Gear wise I suggest false gods, ice heart and mothers sorrow. Ice heart is too good to not use as a beginner in there.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagBlade
    Kinda tough to recommend one build for the large variety of PVE content. Stam Sorc is great for vMA, but not really used much in trials. Magblade is also really good in vMA, and Magicka groups usually bring a couple of them for trials, but I’d say Stamina groups are more common. Stamcro is going to be your best bet for group PVE endgame, but it’s not ideal for vMA. MagDK is slightly better than Magblade for group content with a mag group, but I’d also one of the harder classes for vMA. And Magden, as much as I love playing it, it’s not the best for vMA and you’ll have a tough time finding a trials group that wants one.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 2, 2020 12:05AM
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MagBlade
    Vma was always easier on magblade to me. I was never a fan of having pets carry me in content.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    If you have false god (No perfect is required ) , Magplar is easy mode in VMA , what you do is
    Puncturing Sweep , Puncturing Sweep , Puncturing Sweep , loot the drops from final boss :D
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I went in with the StamSorc, I’m at level 8 and I’m ready to throw my keyboard through the window..
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    MagSorc
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Magplar is pretty gravy IMO.
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MagDen
    I tried at first on magbade and gave up because the lack of burst heal in the NB toolkit was killing me.

Magden is by far the strongest PvE solo class in my opinion. You can adjust your setup as needed to be tankier and more focused on healing by slotting some of the green balance and winter's embrace skills and still deal respectable DPS, or you can go full DPS and hit really, really hard.

You get easy access to minor berserk (BoP), major expedition (also BoP), minor vuln (fetcher), major breach (fissure), major sorcery (netch), increased frost damage, and an insane toolkit of passives across the three skill lines. I guess I've never played magsorc so IDK how that compares, but magden out-does all of the other mag and stam DD specs if we're talking solo PvE endgame stuff, and it can keep up nicely in vet trials.

Vet maelstrom on a magden is.... as easy as vMA could possibly be. While it's never easy, I didn't realize how strong magden was until I tried vMA on my stamblade. You have on-demand access to the shield sigil with the Crystallized Slab skill. As someone above mentioned, you can cast that consistently and let ranged adds kill themselves by damaging you. This is especially helpful in stage 5, where you're being utterly pounded by adds and can let the ranged ones die just by keeping Slab up while you deal with the melee ones.

Iceheart + False Gods + Necropotence + Crystallized Slab + Enchanted Growth = you are damn near invincible in vMA
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Valykc wrote: »
    Well I went in with the StamSorc, I’m at level 8 and I’m ready to throw my keyboard through the window..

Many Bothans keyboards died to bring us this information VMA weapon.
    Edited by Dojohoda on December 31, 2019 4:59PM
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc.

You dont need to follow one bar build.

I got my flawless with mother sorrow, willpower, chudan (less time casting boundless and more tsnk),master lightning (clench: strong and cheap aoe) and maelstorm lightning staff.
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MagDen
    I mean, magsorc is the best for survivability and DPS. I agree with @gepe87. I went with necro + MS + Skoria with plenty of shields and the matriarch. But magden is a pretty decent alternative
    Edited by El_Borracho on December 31, 2019 7:53PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I tried at first on magbade and gave up because the lack of burst heal in the NB toolkit was killing me.

Magden is by far the strongest PvE solo class in my opinion. You can adjust your setup as needed to be tankier and more focused on healing by slotting some of the green balance and winter's embrace skills and still deal respectable DPS, or you can go full DPS and hit really, really hard.

You get easy access to minor berserk (BoP), major expedition (also BoP), minor vuln (fetcher), major breach (fissure), major sorcery (netch), increased frost damage, and an insane toolkit of passives across the three skill lines. I guess I've never played magsorc so IDK how that compares, but magden out-does all of the other mag and stam DD specs if we're talking solo PvE endgame stuff, and it can keep up nicely in vet trials.

Vet maelstrom on a magden is.... as easy as vMA could possibly be. While it's never easy, I didn't realize how strong magden was until I tried vMA on my stamblade. You have on-demand access to the shield sigil with the Crystallized Slab skill. As someone above mentioned, you can cast that consistently and let ranged adds kill themselves by damaging you. This is especially helpful in stage 5, where you're being utterly pounded by adds and can let the ranged ones die just by keeping Slab up while you deal with the melee ones.

Iceheart + False Gods + Necropotence + Crystallized Slab + Enchanted Growth = you are damn near invincible in vMA

Nice, I’ll have to try it on a magden. I was doing skyreach leveling my magden and could peak at 70k AoE dps using northern storm, the aoe damage heal (forgot the name), the ground effect ice ability, bugs, and blockade with max CPs and bad gear. I remember thinking magden has got to be the highest aoe dps class.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it, finally cleared on a StamSorc with terrible recovery lol. Got a powered Maelstrom Resto which was actually something I wanted!
    Edited by Valykc on January 1, 2020 12:17AM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagBlade
    I did it, finally cleared on a StamSorc with terrible recovery lol. Got a powered Maelstrom Resto which was actually something I wanted!

Congrats @Valykc ! The gate to end game is now open.
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WrathOfInnos thank you! Now to chase the Destro staff haha. I need to fine tune the build a bit more but now I feel like I’ve learned some tricks from dying so much! xD
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WrathOfInnos thank you! Now to chase the Destro staff haha. I need to fine tune the build a bit more but now I feel like I’ve learned some tricks from dying so much! xD

Ye the second time is so much faster than the first!
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

Ye the second time is so much faster than the first!

Yeah I actually went in again and went so much faster and I didn’t die as much, and then I got to the final boss and for some reason I can’t beat him. I think it is simply because my head was so annoyed by the damn vault of umbrage stage. Maybe I’ll clear it today.

Edit: just beat it again, sharpened ice staff drop
    Edited by Valykc on January 1, 2020 6:28PM
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    MagDen
    @El_Borracho If trying Magden, I was using my own setups but asked a magden score runner what I should use for no death (and got it right away). Would be solid for farming/first clear.

Iceheart, False God, Mother Sorrow (precise fire front / infused absorb mag back), Shadow

Fissure, Fetcher, Living Vines, Crushing (Racer for round 7), flex
    Unstable, Winters Rev, Dampen Mag, Trap/Chnnl Accel, Netch

Flex = Frost Cloak normally, Slab when desired (rounds 5 and 7 for me), BoP if you dont feel resists are needed
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    MagDen
    Nice job @Valykc once you get 2/3rd run under belt it'll probably be consistent sub 1 hour runs.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Magplar I think is the easiest. Magblade hasn’t been best for vMA for a while.

My easiest runs have been on Magicka Templar as well.
    Playing since beta...
  • Valykc
    Valykc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thadjarvis wrote: »
    Nice job @Valykc once you get 2/3rd run under belt it'll probably be consistent sub 1 hour runs.

Thanks, I’m actually going to do it on my MagDen next i think and see how that goes. I was grinding for a mother’s sorrow inferno all last night haha. Thanks for the build advice @thadjarvis