Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Newish player migrating from PC to PS4, choosing a class for teamplay?

Cupid_Stunt
Cupid_Stunt
Soul Shriven
Hey there everyone, I recently purchased a PS4 and I haven't played console in a few years, last consoles I had were the 360/PS3. I've played ESO a little in the past off and on but never reached max levels. I usually just spent hours creating a character and then doing some leveling and making a new character.

I bought the game on PS4 because it was on sale and now I actually have a decent amount of friends that play on PS4 (none of my friends played PC). I've played a lot of MMO's in the past and was curious what would be a good class for group play? I would prefer dps, but would like to have some support capabilities if possible. I generally tend to gravitate towards fast/mobile classes with some versatility. I played Engineer/Elementalist on GW2 and Shaman/Rogue on WoW. I was hoping to find something similar that could perhaps have a lot of build variety/options? I tend to get a little ADD in making new characters and would prefer to have one I can just twiddle with and tweak based on preference (like different CC options to keep gameplay fresh). If it's any help I mostly do pvp/dungeon crawling.

Also, since I've switched from PC to console I've noticed quite a few differences that I wasn't expecting. The UI is entirely different and a lot of my options to set my damage numbers/timers on abilities are changed. When I use a headset I can hear players based on proximity, which is actually really cool when I enter towns to kind of jump into conversations with strangers. It makes the game feel much more alive and MMO then it did on PC. I've found it much more difficult to weave my light attacks into my rotation too with the controller, I'm not sure if I'm lagging or the GCD timers on abilities is different for console?

Any suggestions/guides/advice offered is appreciated, thanks for your time and Merry Christmas!
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    Hey there everyone, I recently purchased a PS4 and I haven't played console in a few years, last consoles I had were the 360/PS3. I've played ESO a little in the past off and on but never reached max levels. I usually just spent hours creating a character and then doing some leveling and making a new character.

I bought the game on PS4 because it was on sale and now I actually have a decent amount of friends that play on PS4 (none of my friends played PC). I've played a lot of MMO's in the past and was curious what would be a good class for group play? I would prefer dps, but would like to have some support capabilities if possible. I generally tend to gravitate towards fast/mobile classes with some versatility. I played Engineer/Elementalist on GW2 and Shaman/Rogue on WoW. I was hoping to find something similar that could perhaps have a lot of build variety/options? I tend to get a little ADD in making new characters and would prefer to have one I can just twiddle with and tweak based on preference (like different CC options to keep gameplay fresh). If it's any help I mostly do pvp/dungeon crawling.

Also, since I've switched from PC to console I've noticed quite a few differences that I wasn't expecting. The UI is entirely different and a lot of my options to set my damage numbers/timers on abilities are changed. When I use a headset I can hear players based on proximity, which is actually really cool when I enter towns to kind of jump into conversations with strangers. It makes the game feel much more alive and MMO then it did on PC. I've found it much more difficult to weave my light attacks into my rotation too with the controller, I'm not sure if I'm lagging or the GCD timers on abilities is different for console?

Any suggestions/guides/advice offered is appreciated, thanks for your time and Merry Christmas!

I would suggest making a stamina sorcerer or warden. Also choose stamina as a main resource. Both are super-fast. Sorcerer has a lightning theme and warden has ice + some cool nature skills. And above all else have fun and go rule the Cyrodiil!
  • Cupid_Stunt
    Cupid_Stunt
    Soul Shriven
    Shaloknir wrote: »
    I would suggest making a stamina sorcerer or warden. Also choose stamina as a main resource. Both are super-fast. Sorcerer has a lightning theme and warden has ice + some cool nature skills. And above all else have fun and go rule the Cyrodiil!

Thanks for the advice! I'm really looking forward to the RvR campaign! I checked out some gameplay of both classes and had a couple of questions. For the Stamina Sorcerer do I need to always use that lightning spell (had to look it up, it's called Hurricane)? I'm not huge on abilities that are that... intrusive? Seems like it could get annoying having that thing going off all the time.
    As for the Warden class, is it possible to play a build on it that wouldn't require pets? Personally, not a big fan of pets/animal theme.

Should I be focused on narrowing down Stamina classes I prefer as opposed to their Magicka variant? Wasn't sure how much what would effect gameplay at endgame or playstyle of the class in general.
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice! I'm really looking forward to the RvR campaign! I checked out some gameplay of both classes and had a couple of questions. For the Stamina Sorcerer do I need to always use that lightning spell (had to look it up, it's called Hurricane)? I'm not huge on abilities that are that... intrusive? Seems like it could get annoying having that thing going off all the time.
    As for the Warden class, is it possible to play a build on it that wouldn't require pets? Personally, not a big fan of pets/animal theme.

Should I be focused on narrowing down Stamina classes I prefer as opposed to their Magicka variant? Wasn't sure how much what would effect gameplay at endgame or playstyle of the class in general.

Sorry for the delay in my answer, here are few pointers:
    • First: Yes, hurricane is a pretty important skill for the stamina sorcerers. I don't like it either. It blocks my good looks :) Now, can you live without it? Again it's a yes. You can play stamina sorcerer without hurricane. I play pve without hurricane. Actually I'm only using streak in my front bar. In competitive environment though you're going to need it. With critical surge - hurricane damages enemies and at the same time heals you.
    • Second: Yes, warden doesn't really need pets (AKA the bear). Bull netch is pretty important though in competitive environment. It's a huge missed opportunity to not slot it for sustain.
    • Third: Stamina has the speed gameplay you were after. Magicka classes play the class identity better. I always find using swords and bow more rewarding than using staff. Staff is the weapon choice for magicka classes. I hope they make other viable choices for us.
    I hope this helps. I'm not an expert. And I'd say the most important thing is: have fun, slot skills you feel comfortable with.
    Edited by Shaloknir on December 27, 2019 10:29AM
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Cupid_Stunt,
    I may suggest that for all general information about builds, the site by AlcastHQ is one of the more useful. If you go to the section about guides here in the forum, you'll find the address in one of the more recent threads.

I agree with what has been suggested above about stam Sorcerer. Currently (things change...) is a very solid and fast build, and can be played w/o pets (in the beginning volatile familiar is of real help, though). I'd add to the list the Templar build, magicka or stamina, it's versatile, high DPS and (magicka especially) self healing, does not use pets and is definitely simple as a damage dealer.

For a completely different sort of fun, a nightblade assassin/thief oriented is to be considered. Mainly a solo char (but NBs are commonly encountered in BG, and are lethal), does things not possible to other build, thanks to cloak. Very apt for a casual style of play, as secondary character.

Enjoy, and best wishes
  • Cupid_Stunt
    Cupid_Stunt
    Soul Shriven

Sorry for the delay in my answer, here are few pointers:
    • First: Yes, hurricane is a pretty important skill for the stamina sorcerers. I don't like it either. It blocks my good looks :) Now, can you live without it? Again it's a yes. You can play stamina sorcerer without hurricane. I play pve without hurricane. Actually I'm only using streak in my front bar. In competitive environment though you're going to need it. With critical surge - hurricane damages enemies and at the same time heals you.
    • Second: Yes, warden doesn't really need pets (AKA the bear). Bull netch is pretty important though in competitive environment. It's a huge missed opportunity to not slot it for sustain.
    • Third: Stamina has the speed gameplay you were after. Magicka classes play the class identity better. I always find using swords and bow more rewarding than using staff. Staff is the weapon choice for magicka classes. I hope they make other viable choices for us.
    I hope this helps. I'm not an expert. And I'd say the most important thing is: have fun, slot skills you feel comfortable with.

Thanks for the input! Yeah I'm not a big fan of abilities that distort my character's appearance (I mained a Boomkin raiding in WoW, but couldn't stand it. I ended up quitting my raiding guild over having to play something I wasn't having fun with). Warden thematically doesn't appeal to me, but I honestly haven't given it much of a chance. I watched gameplay and it seems like a lot of 'upkeep' with various buffs and spells to maintain. Not huge on the juggling play style.

So far I've made a Nightblade and a Templar. I really enjoy the teleporting/cloaking aspects of the Nightblade. On the Templar I enjoy all the healing, but I feel like I just use Puncturing Sweep over and over. Gets a little stale.

I think I'll end up rolling a bit of each, testing them all out. I think I may be asking too much (dps/ranged/mobile/support) and need to focus on a single aspect I enjoy and just stick with that, thanks for the responses though!
  • Cupid_Stunt
    Cupid_Stunt
    Soul Shriven
    fiender66 wrote: »
    Hi @Cupid_Stunt,
    I may suggest that for all general information about builds, the site by AlcastHQ is one of the more useful. If you go to the section about guides here in the forum, you'll find the address in one of the more recent threads.

I agree with what has been suggested above about stam Sorcerer. Currently (things change...) is a very solid and fast build, and can be played w/o pets (in the beginning volatile familiar is of real help, though). I'd add to the list the Templar build, magicka or stamina, it's versatile, high DPS and (magicka especially) self healing, does not use pets and is definitely simple as a damage dealer.

For a completely different sort of fun, a nightblade assassin/thief oriented is to be considered. Mainly a solo char (but NBs are commonly encountered in BG, and are lethal), does things not possible to other build, thanks to cloak. Very apt for a casual style of play, as secondary character.

Enjoy, and best wishes

Thanks for the information! I've made a Templar and Nightblade so far and enjoy different aspects of either, although neither one has a "THIS is my class!" type of feel to it. I enjoy aspects of each. Templar feels a little too repetitive because I just pretty much spam Puncturing Sweep over and over. And I wish Nightblade had some support aspects to it. But so far I really enjoy the teleporting/cloaking abilities it offers. It feels much more fast paced than Templar.

Do you have any experience with Magicka Nightblade? I looked up builds on Alcast and there was a "bomber" Magicka Nightblade build that I looked up on youtube to find the gameplay style. It looks like a lot of fun but it looks like it's only PvP viable? I like the idea of a Nightblade that has access to resto staff so I could also heal allies as a support for dungeons.