The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Can You Get Fragged in Guilds or Alliance War -- Also Player Etiquette for Solo

Acolostus
Acolostus
Soul Shriven
Hi everyone,

Having a blast with ESO but am late to the party so quick question about ‘Alliance War.’ (Search revealed skill sets, strategies, how to play, etc., but nothing about a concern of mine.)

1.) Can members of your own side can kill you? Coming from Arma-3 (tactics & teamwork game) ‘immature’ types ruined it by fragging members on their own team.

2.) In solo play (PvE) notice some players will help one another & even team up. Others dart in & out ASAP. Different play styles I guess.

Your thoughts on player etiquette? Best to help others, or solo means just that -- mind my own business? : 0 !

Thanks for reading & enjoy holidays!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) No, players from your own side cannot hurt you. No friendly fire in ESO.

2.) Solo PvE. You'll get as many attitudes and answers regarding cooperation/helping strangers as there are players. With experience, you'll gradually develop an improved ability to read situations. For example, if you see a player who appears to be intentionally gathering large groups of foes, then handily killing them all at once in an outdoor area, that player generally does not welcome any help, as they are likely practicing their ability to pull and kill large groups. On the other hand, if you see a player struggling, that player will generally welcome your help. Generally, no one minds help in the form of being healed. When you encounter a player successfully soloing a world boss, it is impossible to tell if they want help or would resent it - so do what you like as the boss does not belong to him. One etiquette point that is widely agreed upon is that if you see a player fighting near a treasure chest or resource node, don't 'steal' that loot while they are fighting; if you help them, then wait and see if they want to take the chest or node.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on December 24, 2019 10:45PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. There is no friendly fire. Members of your own team/alliance cannot kill you.

2. While ESO's PVP is largely designed for team play, many players enjoy playing solo or in very small groups. It often comes down to how you like to play. In Battlegrounds, I generally recommend sticking to your teammates and helping them out. Likewise, in Cyrodiil, unless you are effective at solo play, your best bet is finding a group to play with or alongside.

There's no real set etiquette to jumping into fights in Cyrodiil. There are some who will insist that you should leave duelers be. There's also people who will jump into the fight. Cyrodiil is open world PVP with no limit on how many players can join in a fight, so really you can do what you feel like.

The only real exception is farming bosses in the Imperial City for Tel Var. There, if you jump into the fight when someone is already soloing it, you'll get half the Tel Var stones as a reward thus diminishing their share. So if they aren't happy to be helped, that's why.

2b. Solo PVE - I tend to go about my business. If I'm questing, I'll do what I need to for the quest.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 24, 2019 10:47PM
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's answered the first question so I won't rehash that, but as to pvE I've never cared if someone jumps in. Often if I'm soloing a world boss or such you'll get quite a few "helpers". They may just be trying to clear their zone screen/farming and can't solo it.

Unless there's a TON(12? 15? Can't remember) people and you do so little dmg it doesn't register, there's no kill stealing. You'll all get exp/loot and they get a clear on their zone/achievement. Someone may be trying to record their solo, but that's a risk in an mmo, and rare. So speaking as someone who almost exclusively solos for years jump in, take a swing. No skin off my nose. But as mentioned grabbing a node/chest if someone was there first is considered rude.
  • Acolostus
    Acolostus
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for replies,

Good to know fragging not possible w/ESO.

Also good to know about nodes-- have had that happen w/treasure chests & even wood while exploring.

Speaking of treasure chests... Am sure lock picking is an acquired skill that will come with practice. In the meantime, if I like Buoyant Armiger look, the only way to get it is still from plans that are probably in ‘master’ level locked chests? The topics I’ve found about are from a few years ago.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acolostus wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Having a blast with ESO but am late to the party so quick question about ‘Alliance War.’ (Search revealed skill sets, strategies, how to play, etc., but nothing about a concern of mine.)

1.) Can members of your own side can kill you? Coming from Arma-3 (tactics & teamwork game) ‘immature’ types ruined it by fragging members on their own team.

2.) In solo play (PvE) notice some players will help one another & even team up. Others dart in & out ASAP. Different play styles I guess.

Your thoughts on player etiquette? Best to help others, or solo means just that -- mind my own business? : 0 !

Thanks for reading & enjoy holidays!

First question is easy, no, in PVP content you cannot harm your own side. It would be utter carnage if this were the case!

2nd question, I assume you are referring to overland and questing content. Really this is up to you and how you feel, but no one is under any obligation to help anyone else in solo content.

Many a time I will help out someone fighting a world boss, or a bunch of adds, or by happenchance I will end up running through a delv of public delv with others. I am happy to help and be helped, though I rarely seek this out but if the opportunity arises I usually welcome it.

In fact, personally one of the greatest areas of ESO satisfaction I gain, is from helping others out. Over the weekend I entered Arx Corinium dungeon on veteran, and found myself in a very low level group. Im CP810, but the highest other player was CP124 I think from memory, and 2 of them were actually under level 50. As a general rule folk really should not be trying to run vet content before CP160 ish but whatever. I happened to be on my Orc Necro tank, which is built to both tank and deliver reasonable dps, essentially for solo gaming hard vet content. Its just as well as I had to resurrect the group multiple times, particularly vs the final boss, and I spent large portions of the dungeon soloing it (not a problem for me or that character). But afterwards, after hauling the group through content they clearly were not ready for, they were all commenting in the chat how grateful they were and how good my tanking was. Its times like that I really value and gain satisfaction from. I remember struggling to complete Vet Arx Corinium when I was a low CP player, I am more than happy to help others in similar circumstances to get content completed and get the monster helm they want.
    Edited by Grianasteri on January 7, 2020 12:56PM