The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

1st Time PvPer

Tycleton
Tycleton
✭✭✭
I am wanting to dip my toe into the PvP aspects of the game for the first time. I have been playing for well over a year. Am I better to start my PvP experience using one of my L50 characters or come in at L10 to learn the ropes?

Thanks for your guidance and time!
Tyc
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bring a fully leveled character so you have your passives and the most skill options for your class.

P.S. Wear impen.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wear all Impenetrable trait armour and double the amount of regen you would normally have in PvE just while you are learning.

What class do you wish to play? People on here can then recommend you some good sets.
    PC EU
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the type of PVP.

If Battlegrounds, it's tricky. Below 50 BGs are a great way to get your feet wet and learn the rules and general strategies for the different game modes. However, you'll also be gaining in MMR for match making, so when you transition to Level 50+ BGs, you'll be playing with higher ranked players at first. My method for BGs was to learn the modes on a new character, then jump into 50+ BGs on a different level 50 character so I got to start with low MMR.

If Cyrodiil, I'd say the speed of your mount is probably more important than the level of your character. Cyrodiil is a big zone and you'll want a faster/higher stamina mount in order to run to the spread out fights. Even at low level, you can make a difference in sieges by bringing siege weapons like ballista to break down walls/doors or oil pots to pour down on attackers.

General tips:
    1. We are NOT kidding about the Impenetrable trait armor. PVE enemies can't critically hit you. PVP players can. Wear Impen.
    2. Rule of thumb is to wear one defensive set and one offensive/resource-boosting set. Resources are a lot more important in No CP PVP. Personally, I found that building very tanky helped me when I was new just because it helped me survive long enough to figure out what was killing me. :)

Welcome to PVP!
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (snip) And something for stress management during loading screens.

(edited for inappropriate content)
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on December 14, 2019 2:29PM
  • Kamchuk
    Kamchuk
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to PVP.

First - don't be afraid or embarrassed to die because you are going to be killed a lot. Everybody does, especially in the beginning. Just jump in and have fun. Second - everybody's post so far is spot on. Take their advice. Finally, go to the ESO Build Editor (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor) and experiment with different gear, CPs, to determine the best setup for your Class in PVP.

Enjoy - this is about the best MMO there is.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the type of PVP.

If Battlegrounds, it's tricky. Below 50 BGs are a great way to get your feet wet and learn the rules and general strategies for the different game modes. However, you'll also be gaining in MMR for match making, so when you transition to Level 50+ BGs, you'll be playing with higher ranked players at first. My method for BGs was to learn the modes on a new character, then jump into 50+ BGs on a different level 50 character so I got to start with low MMR.

If Cyrodiil, I'd say the speed of your mount is probably more important than the level of your character. Cyrodiil is a big zone and you'll want a faster/higher stamina mount in order to run to the spread out fights. Even at low level, you can make a difference in sieges by bringing siege weapons like ballista to break down walls/doors or oil pots to pour down on attackers.

General tips:
    1. We are NOT kidding about the Impenetrable trait armor. PVE enemies can't critically hit you. PVP players can. Wear Impen.
    2. Rule of thumb is to wear one defensive set and one offensive/resource-boosting set. Resources are a lot more important in No CP PVP. Personally, I found that building very tanky helped me when I was new just because it helped me survive long enough to figure out what was killing me. :)

Welcome to PVP!

This is excellent advice! Couldn’t have said it better myself.

As a side note, don’t pvp when you first hit 50. Those skill lines like undaunted make a big difference, it’s rough.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Tycleton
    Tycleton
    ✭✭✭
    You guys are the best. Thank you so much for the feedback.

I have 3 characters at L50: a Stamplar (DPS), a Magplar (Healer), and a Stamcro(Tank). I am guessing the Stamplar (DPS) would be the best place to start? My CP is only at 300, so I am thinking BG?

I am hearing Imp armor loud and clear. Will ramp up the regen. Would love to hear set recommendations.

I am not yet maxed on Undaunted line. Should that be my first priority? Any other such lines I should assure myself of first?

Will definitely check out the build editor. Thanks for that!

I think I will also jump into a few low level BG battles just to get a lay of the land and wet my appetite.

Thanks again, guys! This is very much appreciated.

Tyc
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    the easiest class to play is hands down templar.
    the offence is mostly just the spams of a button with potl on target.

stay away from nightblade and sorc if your just starting out because they are by far the hardest to play, but are extremely strong if played well.

start with bgs. easier to get into fights, you fight enemies of similar skill due to mmr. and less lag and zergery.
    make sure you dont panic. if you panic you will never win. and if you die (which you will) look at how you died.
    did you run out of stats? or did you just get bursted. maybe you went into a situation that had no chance of success.
    learn from mistakes. see what skills killed you and learn how theyre used and how to counter them. with time you will get better and better.

Edited by ThePhantomThorn on December 14, 2019 7:09PM
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started full cp PvP at level 10 with one bar and three pieces of twin sister jewelry.

Start as soon as you can...start NOW!
  • Gatdangmayne
    Gatdangmayne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ez stam build, any combo of these- shacklebreaker, hundings, bone pirate, hulking draugr. There are others ofc, but these are staples unlikely to ever be needed.

Ez mag build- spinner, shackle, julianios, Alfiq. Same reasoning as stam sets, these have always been and will likely always be strong.

Monster set- bloodspawn. Make this your #1 priority, heavy bloodspawn helm. I probably use it on 90% of my pvp builds.