The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the memory leak this bad on PC, or is it something on my end?

React
React
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been crashing every 45 mins - 1 hour or so when playing in cyrodiil on PC. While the performance is certainly better than console(constantly running 100 FPS, no lag/delay), the crashes seem to be consistent and unavoidable. They happen without any indication such as an fps drop or a lag spike. As laggy as it gets, even when dropping to 5-10 FPS on console, I never experience crashes like this.

Is this something on my end? The only addon I am currently using is the skyshard addon, and I'm playing on very low graphical settings across the board. 32GB ram, gtx 1080, wired 200mb/s connection with ESO installed on a 1tb SDD.

Edit: I should add that I have yet to crash even once outside of cyrodiil. Only seems to happen there.
Edited by React on December 13, 2019 7:01PM
@ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
Content
Twitch.tv/reactfaster
Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience with crashing in Cyrodiil is completely random and some days are worse than others. Thankfully I haven't experienced a crash in several days now. But, there have been days where I could barely play 30 minutes without a crash.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have been lucky with no crashes here.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The memory leak is real, but ending the process tree via Task Manager (Details tab) and restarting every 60-90 minutes seems to keep it under control a little. That doesn't sound like your problem.

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    The memory leak is real, but ending the process tree via Task Manager (Details tab) and restarting every 60-90 minutes seems to keep it under control a little. That doesn't sound like your problem.

This is my experience as well. My fps starts out well enough when I first get into Cyro (up to 80 or so when nothing is going on, reaching 50-60 in combat, and I have a bit of a potato). But by the end of that time frame it won’t go above 9-12 if there’s anyone else so much as standing nearby until I restart the exe. Restarting immediately bumps fps back up again to its original levels, which tells me it isn’t my PC or connection. That’s annoying enough when there’s no queue, but when there is one it feels like being doubly punished for trying to play the game.

If it happens outside of Cyro, it isn’t nearly as noticeable to me.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As all the old bugs which resurface at some point, the memory leak is indeed back after the latest patch.
  • KageNin
    KageNin
    ✭✭✭
    It's only Cyro and trials environment and yeah restart every 60-90 minutes is a must , open task manager and monitor your memory usage on ESO
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to struggle with this to but now on my end I run Cyro for 4-5 hours without breaks, no crashes, no FPS drops. I've noticed major loading screen time increase (from usual few seconds to almost a minute) after changing SET MIP_LOAD_SKIP_LEVELS to -3 in usersettings.ini (accordingly to some guide here on forums), so I changed it back to 0 and it's awesome.

I also use addonselector which allows me to fast switch between PvP setup (only crucial add-ons) and my usual overland setup.

In general memory leaks are caused mostly by bad optimalisation and badly coded add-ons. That's why sacrifice one evening to playing with your settings observing FPS, memory usage, CPU load etc. I've managed this way to make ESO running pretty smooth overland 100+ FPS, large cities 60-80 FPS, Cyrodiil large scale battles 30+ FPS.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge