The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Deep Fissure & Deep Disappointment

Solariken
Solariken
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Deep Fissure should be frost damage, and the animation should be ice wraiths and ice spikes.

You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

Think about it: it fits the class theme just as much or even more appropriately, and makes more logical sense that it would cause Major Breach when a barrage up ice spikes shoots up your bum than a few ugly bugs.

The base morph and the stamina version can remain as-is, which means all the hard VFX work was not for naught. You already have VFX in came for ice wraiths and ice spikes. Some VFX intern could get this done before lunch on a Monday.

This is the one thing holding us back from being able to play a proper Frost DD RP build. So many players want the option to play a FROST MAGE, but no class can fill the necessary gaps to make it possible. Warden was your one shot to give us what we crave and you dropped the ball. It's time. Please make this happen.

• Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Warden is also our chance to play Druid which I like. Sure I wish some of the animals chance were different but it’s better than nothing.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont. Warden should have never had any Ice skills to begin with, it didnt make sense then and it doesnt now :P
  • Muskrap
    Muskrap
    ✭✭✭
    The only change to Deep fissure should be that it should stun off balance targets to synergize with cliff racer. On top of it making sense, something coming up from underground while you lost your footing? should knock you over
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »
    I dont. Warden should have never had any Ice skills to begin with, it didnt make sense then and it doesnt now :P

Well you make a decent point... Most class skill lines suffer from a "one of these things is not like the other" disorder and you could definitely make the case that Animal Companions and green Balance fit together while Winter's Embrace is out of left field.

But still, Warden is the closest thing to a frost mage we have. :(
    Edited by Solariken on December 14, 2019 4:30AM
  • D3N7157
    D3N7157
    ✭✭✭✭
    bruh i believe not a person playing warden cares how subt/fissure looks like
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Deep Fissure should be frost damage, and the animation should be ice wraiths and ice spikes.

You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

Think about it: it fits the class theme just as much or even more appropriately, and makes more logical sense that it would cause Major Breach when a barrage up ice spikes shoots up your bum than a few ugly bugs.

The base morph and the stamina version can remain as-is, which means all the hard VFX work was not for naught. You already have VFX in came for ice wraiths and ice spikes. Some VFX intern could get this done before lunch on a Monday.

This is the one thing holding us back from being able to play a proper Frost DD RP build. So many players want the option to play a FROST MAGE, but no class can fill the necessary gaps to make it possible. Warden was your one shot to give us what we crave and you dropped the ball. It's time. Please make this happen.

Absolutely, it has always annoyed me that for some strange reason, on a frost/ice focused class, there is a random fire damage skill, which just so happens to be very important for a lot of builds. It just feels totally out of place.

Even if it were Frosty bugs in some fashion, therefore meeting the animal and frost aspects of the class.

As a side, I made a pretty successful themed "elemental" build, the idea being that the mage wields frost, fire and shock damage. But the bugs from deep fissure just never felt right and that is one reason it was dropped from the build. The idea is elemental damage, not bugs!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/487733/elemental-my-dear-fellow-fantasy-build
    Edited by Grianasteri on December 17, 2019 4:56PM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah I'd say wait for the next chapter, I have a feeling more lore friendly damage specs will be made available with whatever they come up with. Spell Crafting looks pretty promising after that trailer, the explosion... in Skyrim... seems like an event that would cause the introduction of an unatural balance of magic across Tamriel.

Psijic Order was implemented using the base game as a way to explore the entire map to close time rifts, but it was a part of a new chapter.

Based on the original announcments of Spell Crafting, they wanted players to explore and find parts to the spells they wanted to make. They could do this easily in the new chapter just like the Psijic Order, but tie whatever you need to find in dolems/group dungeons instead of overworld.

Every single class has 3 skill lines focussed on different types of magic specializations. Who's to say Frost doesn't fit for Wardens? I think it fits like any other class does. Really the only 2 classes with magic that feels samey all through out is Templar and Nightblade and funny enough, they both DON'T have specialized damage types in the game. There is no Light or Dark magic, but they were clearly designed as counter parts from conception of Eso.

The 5th class was always, always suppose to be the Frost class from early designs and makes perfect sense following ZOS doubling down on Frost == tanking magic, introduced some time shortly before Morrowind. Now do you agree with that? I do for the most part, I think it makes sense, but I want Warden's to be the 1 class that can excel with Frost Magic despite it being a tank/cc damage type. Maybe ZOS feels this way too recently since they just buffed the crap out of the passive now providing +10% magic/frost damage and Winters Revenge.

The other 2 damage type focussed classes, DK and Sorc, both have skill lines that don't fully match their element with the classes being able to use every skill line to their advantage. I think that makes them more interesting and it's why I think it's fine for Wardens to use Nature/Creature magic along with Frost.

DK: Earth, Flame(Poison) and Dragon.

Sorc: Dark Magic, Daedric Summoning and Shock.

So what does a Shock mage need Dark Magic for or Daedric Summoning? Dragons in Elder Scrolls use different elements, so it's not like Dragon == Flame Damage, it can be Frost, Shock, etc. In this case, Dragonknight uses Poison and Earth magic too.

I think what ZOS has recently been doing by moving away from their skill lines equaling a strict DPS, Tank, and Healing focus is the right approach that we see with the Original class designs today.

To me, classes in ESO are similar to the Oblivion approach. Yes you can do everything, but their were templates in the beginning of the game that helped you tune yourself to a specialized type of character, eg Spellsword, Druid, etc. Those choices gave you possitives in specifc skill lines.

So Warden's to ZOS use these 3 magic types. That's it. Spell Crafting could be a way for us to make more specialized characters, like a full on Frost mage or Shock mage, etc.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on December 18, 2019 2:42AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    I 100% agree with OP. I've always thought that deep fissure was the laziest animated skill in the game. It's a good skill thats fun to use but it just looks sooooo boring.

More ice damage skills would be cool and the stam version could project rock spikes from the earth.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warden should have either been a Druid or a Frost based character, the class has no identity.

One skill tree with forest and jungle abilities, one skill tree with a bunch of animals from volcanic regions, and a third skill tree with frost damage.
  • Soundinfinite
    Soundinfinite
    ✭✭✭
    I thought when the Dev team spoke of class identity earlier this year, this was one of the things they would be doing. Creating lines in the sand on classes to make them unique. Instead we only got 3 Stam morphs, 1 to the warden hahaha a class that already had a huge abundance of Stam morphs already.....

There are a few things that have bugged me since I started playing this game 3 years ago. I was watching my husband level his 1st character in game...which happened to be a mag sorc...and I thought it looked quite cool as he soloed a doleman and was throwing down bolts of lightning, currents of lightning from a stave, etc...the gameplay was fast and it seemed neat...which is what got me to try the video game out...something I hadn't done in years...seriously years.

In the end I was quite disappointed when I created my own account and picked a sorc as well, then half-way through leveling found that half it's damage was generic magic damage and not lightning and that they were at their strongest NOT being what I thought a sorcerer was (wizard, mage) and hurling elemental arcane at enemies but instead summoning pets/familiars and standing behind them.....

and to this day the game has never created such a class for me to play. Animal familiars, summoning daedric creatures, and reanimated corpses are key components to 1/2 the Magicka classes. The 3 left are a rogue shadow caster, a palladin Templar, and a knight that is better as a stamina spec unless I'm hybridizing the build and being a tank.

Shrug....

I validate your complaint about the warden...I feel honeslty, that the class should be completely respecced as ice damage on ALL damage skills on the Magicka side...and the class passives should synergize with ice damage to the point that an ice stave should be their weapon of choice over the annoyingly ubiquitous fire stave which, for almost 2 years, has been BIS on all Magicka builds no matter what the class in both pvp and pve.

The bear is already an ice theme as bears are disiduous or artic in nature...though a polar bear would complete the theme nicely. All animals thus changed to frost damage but still animals...possibly changed to cold weather type species but really fine as is but with just graphic updates making them white and frozen in look.

As such the stamina morphs should all be changed to bleed damage which befits animal Carnage and designed to look natural and real...

Thus a true theme and identity is given to the class from damage type used, look, synergizing weapons in use, and overall unique playstyle.

However, given my post is already long, I feel I want to add that the warden isn't the worst offender of class identity.

To this day the Sorc is honeslty the class with the worst identity and feel...given that it is also the only class with 2 builds dividing it's skills down the center and making half it's passives usable or not. PET or Non-PET...Combine this with the innability to use any themed damage sets...Netch or War Maiden (I know neither is BIS but honeslty 1 should be) and are they a conjurer, a summoner, or a ya know sorcerer (mage/wizard). Add to that the Stam version of the class was nothing it all....relying purely on weapon skills with no identity at all (whether strong or not in DPS) until they added the new skill this year...which let's face it is a bit awkward but strong but a single skill an identity it does not make.

Lastly damage should be divided and assigned to classes with an Magicka and stamina equal counterpart.

Magic damage=physical damage (Tplar, Sorc, NB)
    Ice damage=bleed damage (warden)
    Fire damage=poison damage (dk)
    Lightning damage=disease damage (necro)

Thus on each class all their damage would be themed into a specific type. Sets, weapons, and added world skillines that buff that damage type would benifit each class in their own way.... and let's say it all together create BUILD DIVERSITY!!!!

Note the necro took the lightning damage from the Sorc in my breakdown cuase lightning buffs aoe damage and the necro has passives that also buff dot damage which helps most aoe damage and it makes sense that the energy from lightning reanimated corpses which makes it equal disease damage which makes sense for rotting corpses damage on the stamina side...

The Sorc would then be designed to focus on it's pets and change all damage to Magicka damage and become a solid summoner theme...which would differ notibly from the theme of a NB or Templar even though they all use physical and magic damage.

It then also leaves the door open for maybe a mage/wizard/battlemage whatever u want to call it in the future as a class that equally blends all the damage types and uses nothing but raw arcane on the Magicka side and can be a spellsword on the stamina side....and still maintiane an individual identity....
    Edited by Soundinfinite on December 18, 2019 5:57PM