Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

So, next chapter will be in Skyrim. Will we see anything about Snow Elves?

Seth_Lokfar
Seth_Lokfar
✭✭✭
After the trailer from the Game Awards, we now know that the next chapter is called "Dark Hearth of Skyrim". Some say it could be about vampires, about Blackreach... but I TRULY wish there is something about Snow Elves, and I'm not talking about the falmer, the "Betrayed". Do you think will we see something related to them?

I know that to the date the game transpires, thay already have been almost wiped out from Skyrim, but that doesn't mean MAYBE a few individuals still remain hiding somewhere.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all dead by this point. You might run into one or two like in Skyrim, but I doubt it since I don't think they want to recycle storylines from the mainline games (there was no Dwemer quest in Morrowind either).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 13, 2019 12:49PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its pretty much what you said.

There might be a few non-Falmer individuals left who:
    A. Were isolated enough that they didn't either get wiped out by the Nords or take the Dwemer deal
    B. Didn't subsequently get overrun by the Betrayed

As for whether or not ESO goes in that direction, you'll have to wait for the trickle-down marketing hype to find out.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all dead by this point.

Paladin Gelebor at the Chantry of Auri-El says hello. Arch-Curate Vyrthur would too, but he's rather undead.
    Edited by VaranisArano on December 13, 2019 12:50PM
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re ‘almost’ wiped out by the time Dawnguard rolled around, they’re ‘almost’ wiped out but the time Dawnguard is finished. By the lore that we have so far (being optimistic that there might be more) there are only 2 left and one is a vampire.
    We might see their magic? But ‘dark heart’ to me says the pretty light magic of the Snow Elves will be a no show.

Hope I’m wrong!
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    My Hearth isn’t all that dark...

My Heart on the other hand... ;)
    Edited by xxthir13enxx on December 13, 2019 1:24PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we go skyrim, its entirely possible we might see the snow elves... in about the same way we see the chimer and nedes in Stonefalls, or the ayleids in the fighters guild questlines, or something like that...

It -might- even be possible to meet a "leftover" NPC hiding from the nords somewhere, much like the two mentioned from the dawnguard story... who knows, right?

It could be quite interesting if the specilations about blackreach were true, and we might someday see a flashback quest around the fate of the snow elves and how they became the falmer we know from TES-V:Skyrim...

Of course, "dark heart" can mean anything, from light-shy vampires to underground blackreach, from dark reachmen magicks to well trained draugr...
    1oyMZxx.jpg
    :p;)
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would like falmer to appear at the very least
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If we do, I hope they don't look like urine-soaked fish-eyed freaks again like they did in Skyrim.
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snow Elf race change token, only 1000 gems, limited offer
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hope is that even if there aren't living Snow Elves that we encounter, that at least we would see ruins and remnants of their culture that are more intact at this earlier point in history.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're all dead by this point. You might run into one or two like in Skyrim, but I doubt it since I don't think they want to recycle storylines from the mainline games (there was no Dwemer quest in Morrowind either).

Indeed. The dwemer and snowelfs basicly wiped each other out. And thats without taking Ysgrammor and his band of merry men into account against the snowelfs.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    snow elves, fire elves, jungle elves, wood elves, plain elves, they all taste like chicken.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually think that the Snow Elves may very well be the central focus of Dark Heart.

Unlike the Dwemer, they're not gone. They've been living underground for a long, long time.

And well... I do believe that someone from ZOS said we could expect to meet a "familiar character" next year?

I've seen lots of people jumping on Serana here. (Dirty joke: Who wouldn't want to jump on Serana?)

But I think myself... That actually, the character we will meet is going to be Knight-Paladin Gelebor. He was one of the handful of Snow Elves who were able to escape the Dwemer's blinding of their race.

By retaining his sight, he continued to live as a fully functional member of the Snow Elf race. And as he told the Dovahkiin in Dawnguard. He was guarding the Chantry for millennia. He is certainly one of the oldest mortals on all Tamriel.

I have a good feeling he will be appearing next year. Possibly his brother? I'm not too clear on when his brother was infectwed with vampirism.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man - venturing into Shimmermist Cave on my low level character in Skyrim was HARD! I had to try and fight every Falmer and Chaurus individually. Grr-iiiind! Haha. I’d love to see Snow Elves in ESO... and those could definitely help with the overland difficulty-boost that people have been asking for!

S.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    Indeed. The dwemer and snowelfs basicly wiped each other out. And thats without taking Ysgrammor and his band of merry men into account against the snowelfs.
    Weeellllll... no.
    Not exactly.
    The dwemer and snow-elf falmer were neighbors. With occasional conflict, I am sure, but... neither really all that much interested in the others real estate, and thus living in vauge non-agression.
    d7f2b3b02719cecd775f8b3338a8ebfe.jpg

The Snow elves had -way- more trouble with the invading Atmorans, fighting bloody battles over the snowy lands of Skyrim... until.... Ysgrammor.
    orjan-ruttenborg-svendsen-deadelves-final-jpg.jpg
    The steady atmoran reinforcments and especially the final push of Ysgrammor and his merry men wiped the snow elves from the face of skyrim, and as they were routed by the invaders, they knocked on the dwemer doors seeking sanctuary.

And the dwemer allowed it... provided they drank a muchroom extract that left them blind, all the better to enslave them.
    f6e627f2d6138a1a42c8f809e4c88190.jpg
    Of course, as such things usually go, slavery isn't fun, and slaves revolt, Even blind slaves. So eventually the dwemer found themselves fighting two wars - one on the surface against the chimer in vvardenfell, and an bigger one beneath the surface against the mutated descendants of their former snow elf slaves.

Until... Red Mountain, where all the dwemer went "poof" by their own hand, and the rest... is lore.
    0d24253a504d9f07fdfa8757fa3473ee.jpg
    I actually think that the Snow Elves may very well be the central focus of Dark Heart.

Unlike the Dwemer, they're not gone. They've been living underground for a long, long time.
    Could well be!
    They have been living down there for at least three thousand years, still fighting against dwemer automatons, it might be that they only now managed to get close enough to the surface to become a threat...
    Of course, it could also be a ton of other things. Leftover snow elf or dwemer artifaces thawing out (or rather, being activated by the dragon explosion at the end of elsweyr), dragon priests woken up from slumber, reachmen thinking their time has come (again), whatever. Time will tell, yes? ;)

Edited by TheShadowScout on May 1, 2020 6:35PM
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A snow elf or two popping up is definitely a possibility.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    Weeellllll... no.
    Not exactly.
    The dwemer and snow-elf falmer were neighbors. With occasional conflict, I am sure, but... neither really all that much interested in the others real estate, and thus living in vauge non-agression.

The Snow elves had -way- more trouble with the invading Atmorans, fighting bloody battles over the snowy lands of Skyrom... until.... Ysgrammor. The steady atmoran reinforcments and especially the final push of Ysgrammor and his merry men wiped the snow elves from the face of skyrim, and as they were routed by the invaders, they knocked on the dwemer doors seeking sanctuary.

And the dwemer allowed it... provided they drank a muchroom extract that left them blind, all the better to enslave them. Of course, as such things usualyl go, slavery isn't fun, and slaves revolt, Even blind slaves. So eventually the dwemer found themselves fighting two wars - one on the surface against the chimer in vvardenfell, and an bigger one beneath the surface against the mutated descendants of their former snow elf slaves.

Until... Red Mountain, where all the dwemer went "poof" by their own hand, and the rest... is lore.

Could well be!
    They have been living down there for at least three thousand years, still fighting against dwemer automatons, it might be that they only now managed to get close enough to the surface to become a threat...
    Of course, it could also be a ton of other things. Leftover snow elf or dwemer artifaces thawing out (or rather, being activated by the dragon explosion at the end of elsweyr), dragon priests woken up from slumber, reachmen thinking their time has come (again), whatever. Time will tell, yes? ;)

There are many possibilities.

Suffice to say after dragons and Daedra, I think ZOS may be wanting to do something a bit more original.

An ancient race resurfacing, literally, is simply not a scenario that ESO has explored yet.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just find it inadequate that the cinematic trailer shows "rune" magic without equipped weapons, yet ZOS still has yet to put this in-game...*sigh
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An ancient race resurfacing, literally, is simply not a scenario that ESO has explored yet.
    Uhm... you do realize dragons are an "ancient race thought extinct", right? ;)
    And there are just so many things they can dredge up despite them never ever being mentioned in the lore afterwards... it worked with the year of the dragon, but I doubt it could become a recurring theme.

But hey, who knows... there are sooo many possibilities. Even without "resurfacing snow elves", which would be more like "surfacing falmer degenerate descendants of snow elves" anyhow... which totally could be a thing of course! But then I'd really want some play with dark caverns where a hero goes to kill those dastardly creatures while clinging their torch for light while the falmer set traps and double back to ambush them... or maybe am I just having "Goblin Slayer" flashbacks again? ;)

Another interesting premise might be the explosion of dragonpower and magic in elsweyr at the end of that battle waking something up that should have kept sleeping. Or, well, being dead.
    And while the snow elvers -are- dead... well... there is always ways their corpses could rise as undead ice armies (although that would be a tad "Song of Fire and Ice", yes?)
    Of course, it could also be artifacts. Even tho we had that in murkmire already...

Then there is also the Reachmen option, since those would be entirely different from dragon cults or undead as we had in elsweyr (which would also rule out dragon priests, since they are ... basically more of the same and the cult of the new moon?), or the dwemer stuff we still remember from CWC. Which would come with a serving of briarheart magics, so there is that. But the ever flaring up conflict between the nords and the reachmen... would do well for western skyrim and a vestige to set some troubles right, yes? And it would be nice to have a expansion where the main baddies are just people being... people, instead of some supernatural force behind everything, be it deadra or dragon, yes?

And there could be so many optins there, like... being involved with the Bards College in Solitude or helping the College of Winterhold, both of which exist in this time...
    Oh, well. Guess we shall see how it goes, right? ;)
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uhm... you do realize dragons are an "ancient race thought extinct", right? ;)
    And there are just so many things they can dredge up despite them never ever being mentioned in the lore afterwards... it worked with the year of the dragon, but I doubt it could become a recurring theme.

But hey, who knows... there are sooo many possibilities. Even without "resurfacing snow elves", which would be more like "surfacing falmer degenerate descendants of snow elves" anyhow... which totally could be a thing of course! But then I'd really want some play with dark caverns where a hero goes to kill those dastardly creatures while clinging their torch for light while the falmer set traps and double back to ambush them... or maybe am I just having "Goblin Slayer" flashbacks again? ;)

Another interesting premise might be the explosion of dragonpower and magic in elsweyr at the end of that battle waking something up that should have kept sleeping. Or, well, being dead.
    And while the snow elvers -are- dead... well... there is always ways their corpses could rise as undead ice armies (although that would be a tad "Song of Fire and Ice", yes?)
    Of course, it could also be artifacts. Even tho we had that in murkmire already...

Then there is also the Reachmen option, since those would be entirely different from dragon cults or undead as we had in elsweyr (which would also rule out dragon priests, since they are ... basically more of the same and the cult of the new moon?), or the dwemer stuff we still remember from CWC. Which would come with a serving of briarheart magics, so there is that. But the ever flaring up conflict between the nords and the reachmen... would do well for western skyrim and a vestige to set some troubles right, yes? And it would be nice to have a expansion where the main baddies are just people being... people, instead of some supernatural force behind everything, be it deadra or dragon, yes?

And there could be so many optins there, like... being involved with the Bards College in Solitude or helping the College of Winterhold, both of which exist in this time...
    Oh, well. Guess we shall see how it goes, right? ;)

True.

With that said... The relationship between mortals and dragons was always different between mortals and well, other mortals.

Many dragons had delusions of godhood. The Snow Elves/Falmer? Not really. In fact their devotion, respect and loyalty to the divines was some of the strongest of any race.

Regardless of how accurate my "never explored yet" comment actually is, I'm still rather quite convinced that the Snow Elves/Falmer will play a big part in the next story.

And it would absolutely be very different to a dragon outbreak. Like I say, they are still mortal. Very long-lived mortals apparently, but still mortal no less.

• OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would love nothing more than this but I see it as highly unlikely. We might get some old ruins maybe or some lore dropped here and there via books or load screens but that's it. Snow Elves are unheard of right now, I'd even be surprised if we run into Falmer (betrayed) in Dwemer ruins. Although a snow elf skin made available in crown store for RPers would be cool.

To me, if we don't run into Falmer in Dwemer ruins then I'd be mad cause it's not like the race just "poof" appeared. They were in hiding. You could always, to "preserve" lore just put some goblins in dwemer ruins and make them look like Falmer. I always thought that the snow elf lore in Skyrim was lacking, ZOS has done a little bit of a better job at dropping some minor additions to Snow elf lore, even making it look like Fort Greenwall was built over a Snow Elf city. That was cool, we might get small things like that.

Here is to hoping that I get to explore a delve (or two) that is a snow elf ruin, that'd be cool. Snow elf is probably my favorite race in Elder Scrolls lore with Atmorans behind them.
    Edited by OtarTheMad on December 13, 2019 9:24PM
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After the trailer from the Game Awards, we now know that the next chapter is called "Dark Hearth of Skyrim". Some say it could be about vampires, about Blackreach... but I TRULY wish there is something about Snow Elves, and I'm not talking about the falmer, the "Betrayed". Do you think will we see something related to them?

I know that to the date the game transpires, thay already have been almost wiped out from Skyrim, but that doesn't mean MAYBE a few individuals still remain hiding somewhere.

NO.MORE.ELVES.
  • Jolipinator
    Jolipinator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nord #1: "I saw one heading for that Elf cave."

Nord #2: "That Snow Elf cave."
    PS5 EU.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of how accurate my "never explored yet" comment actually is, I'm still rather quite convinced that the Snow Elves/Falmer will play a big part in the next story.
    Well, if its skyrim... it would only make sense to have them tied up in the story, whatever the story might be, right?

I mean, a chance to showcase more TES lore by putting a spotlight on the falmer history, just like we got glimpses of the ayleids, direnni, nedes, chimer or others?
    Bring it on!!!
    And while snow elves themselves might be a tad iffy... they definitely could give us loads of "uncover the lore" questings!
  • Inerar
    Inerar
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they'll appear, then let them playable race but make it limited as one char per player. How sound?
    Whenever i search for an alternative game, i realize that how beautiful ESO is...
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Technically, Gelebor and Vyrthur are somewhere in Tamriel, so there could be other survivors but it's unlikely there are enough of them to make a major comeback. Majority of the Snow Elves were hunted to near-extinction by the Nords and the rest were forcefully mutated by the Dwemer into Falmer when they requested asylum and were betrayed. Lorewise, it is feasible they could appear in smaller numbers than the rest of Tamriel's races, but a major appearance would undoubtedly cause major ripples throughout the world.
    Edited by Finedaible on December 16, 2019 11:37PM
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And there was no Dragons at this time period.... Dragons would just be else where in the lore... or so we thought we meant it that way.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe dark heart involoves Azura's dark soul gem

NO.MORE.ELVES.

You do realize that a good portion of the races in TES are descendants of the original elves? So the likelihood of no more elves is very low.

Human=Nord, Imperial, Redguard

Mer=Altmer, Dunmer, Bosmer, Dwemer, Orc, Snow Elves, Moramer

Beast Folk= Khajiit, Argonian

Halfings=Breton
    Edited by dcam86b14_ESO on December 16, 2019 11:58PM
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimm13 wrote: »

And there was no Dragons at this time period.... Dragons would just be else where in the lore... or so we thought we meant it that way.

I wouldn't rule them out since ZOS spent lots of $$ on marketing and designing them in Els and ppl want that nostalgia again.

Maybe we'll see Mannimarco again, isn't he hiding out in some cave becoming the lich?
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the likelihood of no more elves is very low.
    And the other thing is, well... elves were involved a LOT in tamriels history, so any region that goes into histroy showcase mode... may want to show some elves.
    Just look at Murkmire, and who they showed as the ones responsible for all the mess that led to there even being a dangerous artifact in the first place!

Of course, in Skyrim... the history we might uncover in questings is a bit different in regard to elves. But I mentioned that before...
    And like has been mentioned, there is a lot of other history as well, from Dragon Priests to Reachmen, from Giants to the Old Gods, from Dwemer secrets lomg buried to intrigue brewing between those parts that joined the pact, and those that didn't...