The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Regarding Names - GM Please answer for confirmation?

ThisOnePosts
ThisOnePosts
✭✭✭✭✭
If you have a character name let's say Goodday -- is it possible to also create another character "Good Day" or does one count for owning the other?

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Sorry to anyone who actually uses those names, I am just using it as an example lol.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be clear ---- I am wondering if one space in between counts as an entirely new character name (I believe it does, but am not certain and would like to know before trying lol).
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't create a character with the same name, but you can create one with a close name, like using accented characters, hyphens, spaces etc.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you can't create a character with the same name, that wasn't the specific question lol. Thank you for the reply though.

Some MMOs, will count 1 space in between a name as "taken" whether the space is there or not, it will belong to the same person/character.

I just wanted absolute confirmation as to whether this holds true right now for ESO or not as many changes have taken place since I last played a lot.
    Edited by ThisOnePosts on December 12, 2019 5:33PM
  • Skorro
    Skorro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not try on a dump character?
    Thisisatest
    Thisis attest

:#
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Variants of upper case and lower case are counted toward the same name, so Deadpool, deadpool, DEADPOOL, and dEaDpOol are one name on the server, not four.

But you could have Deadpool, Dead Pool, and Dead-Pool, as well as those names with a preceding article (A Dead Pool, The Deadpool, etc) You just can't start with a space to bypass getting a name already in use.
    signing off
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes i have my characters the same name but with a space or dash or whatever between them, it is a separate name with space
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience I go through about 6 attempts at creating a name I actually want...
    Than I give up and put gibberish
    Gibberish always works...
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 18 characters with my wife's nickname. Some are 1 word and some are up to 3 words. I use no special characters, so I can keep going if I want to.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skorro wrote: »
    Thisisatest
    Thisis attest

Thisisatriumph
    Thisis atriumph
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know how many iterations of “Legolas” I’ve seen, so I’d agree with the above, close is different enough
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my experience I go through about 6 attempts at creating a name I actually want...
    Than I give up and put gibberish
    Gibberish always works...

Darnit I wanted Gibberish as my name.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skorro wrote: »
    Thisisatest
    Thisis attest

Thisisatriumph
    Thisis atriumph

This-was-a-triumph
    This was a triumph
    I'm making a note here "Huge success"
    The Moot Councillor
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only limitation is that you can't have exactly the same name.

I once tried to make a character called Dawn-Star. That was taken, but I was able to get Dawns-Star, only 1 letter different.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When in doubt, use the accented letters, like: á í ñ, etc.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I basically only play one elf. But she manifests as multiple class/specs that all look identical. She approaches the decision of which class to play as for any particular session with no more concern than her outfit or hairstyle. Her name is Buffy and has been so continuously since 2007 through several Elder Scrolls games. Some of the name variations she uses in ESO include: Bùffy Búffy ßuffy Büffy Buffý Bûffy Bµffy Bufƒy Buffÿ Buƒƒy

Sorry I cannot answer the OPs question with total certainty but am monitoring this thread in hopes of a definitive answer.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo