Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP balance suggestion: Approach the Battle Spirit.

Pr0Skygon
Pr0Skygon
✭✭✭✭✭
The Battle Spirit status is suppose to be the way to separate PvP and PvE by curving the dps and tankiness of everyone, but for years, ZOS have seem to forget that this status even exist.

IMO, ZOS should utilize this status as a PvP balance tool, instead of, you know, tweaking the meta every single patch like this year. There are 2 major upside with using this:

1. It does not affect PvE whatsoever.
2. It curves the power of every single classes, weapons, armors and playstyle at once. This would make the Battle Spirit the ultimate tool to shape the meta. For example, if the current meta is the tank meta, then maybe eliminate the 50% damage penalty. If the damage is way too high and become meta, then maybe add 5k extra health to everyone.
3. It's much easier to keep track, instead of tweaking every single digit of every single skills, gear sets, CPs, etc.

The only downside that I can potential see is the technical side. I'm not working for ZOS, and especially not in tech apartment, so I have no idea how complicate it is to tweak the Battle Spirit, or is it even possible to tweak in the first place.

But if the Battle Spirit tweak is possible, then I believe it is a much better way to approach PvP balance than what ZOS are currently doing (no offense though).
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah but, this makes sense, ZoS isn't a fan of suggestions that make sense.

Good idea, though, they'd be stupid to not do it.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could if they wanted, could have for a long time.. i`ve also suggested it on many occasions, but since they never use it as an option anymore - it is clear they want to keep it like this.

Why you ask?

So people will reroll more characters, play and grind more, buy more Crown store stuff. Race change tokens. Guild Lines to new characters when something gets buffed above others if they want it the fast way.

People then grinding stuff and new characters make the world alive for the new players to see it is a healthy game, then they spend more money and stay playing also.

It is sort of "content" for the competitive people and the money they make then keeps the wheels rolling, keeps budget up to run the company and to put out actual content too. It is sort of meta-content.

It allows the Director to spend money on the creative parts of the game, Voice Actors, Artists and so on, that content always takes time to put out, so.. the nerf-buff threadmill is there to keep the game going. Nothing wrong with that. Personally i support ZOS gladly with my real life money too since i enjoy this game and play it a lot.

It is a delicate system though and can end up badly if not executed smoothly enough to have atleast a good illusion of close enough-balance and has to also do changes that are fun so people take the salty changes and extra work better when you give their favourite playstyles also some new toys. Too big ups and downs are not liked.

• UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, but it could be even as simple as changing one armor trait, like impenetrable or invigorating, to only affect PvP... attach that to battle spirit and BAM! Balancing PvP just became a lot easier with no PvE ramifications whatsoever... then only allow that armor to be found in Cyrodil and/or crafted. This doesn’t mean that you can’t run any set in PvP, just that you won’t be as effective... seems simple enough...
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on December 12, 2019 2:23PM
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    I agree, but it could be even as simple as changing one armor trait, like impenetrable or invigorating, to only affect PvP... attach that to battle spirit and BAM! Balancing PvP just became a lot easier with no PvE ramifications whatsoever... then only allow that armor to be found in Cyrodil and/or crafted. This doesn’t mean that you can’t run any set in PvP, just that you won’t be as effective... seems simple enough...

Wat? Impenetrable already only works in PvP...
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always a little amused by the recurring suggestions that ZOS should just use Battle Spirit.

Do you guys think they forgot about it or something?

If they wanted to just use Battle Spirit, they would. Instead, they use it extremely sparingly, because most of the time they are perfectly happy to balance PVP and PVE together regardless of what players want.
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theres no such thing as "current tank meta", just a lot of dds cant play their role right.
    However using battle spirit to balance things out without messing up pve is a great idea, always was.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gravord wrote: »
    Theres no such thing as "current tank meta", just a lot of dds cant play their role right.
    However using battle spirit to balance things out without messing up pve is a great idea, always was.

Is that why 90% of duels in Cyro end in stalemate?
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pr0Skygon wrote: »
    The Battle Spirit status is suppose to be the way to separate PvP and PvE by curving the dps and tankiness of everyone, but for years, ZOS have seem to forget that this status even exist.

IMO, ZOS should utilize this status as a PvP balance tool, instead of, you know, tweaking the meta every single patch like this year. There are 2 major upside with using this:

1. It does not affect PvE whatsoever.
    2. It curves the power of every single classes, weapons, armors and playstyle at once. This would make the Battle Spirit the ultimate tool to shape the meta. For example, if the current meta is the tank meta, then maybe eliminate the 50% damage penalty. If the damage is way too high and become meta, then maybe add 5k extra health to everyone.
    3. It's much easier to keep track, instead of tweaking every single digit of every single skills, gear sets, CPs, etc.

The only downside that I can potential see is the technical side. I'm not working for ZOS, and especially not in tech apartment, so I have no idea how complicate it is to tweak the Battle Spirit, or is it even possible to tweak in the first place.

But if the Battle Spirit tweak is possible, then I believe it is a much better way to approach PvP balance than what ZOS are currently doing (no offense though).

Literally suggested the same thing in a different thread twice today and once yesterday. Funny how forums work :D:D

I'm happy someone posted it in a separate thread. I gave up already lol.
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Gravord wrote: »

Is that why 90% of duels in Cyro end in stalemate?

Precisely yes. Both dds overbuild defensives while having crappy dmg output and non can make a kill.
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    IF PvP wasn't dying, and was more populated, you wouldn't have to fight the same people all the time--and there would be a lot of new players and casual who need battle spirit. But when you are only fighting against really good players and the same ones all the time, battle spirit seems OP to some.

I fear that touching battle spirit, would bring even fewer new and casula players to pvp. PvP desperately needs new people, I am so tired of knowing everyone in my time slot--as often we don't even fight.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~