The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

confused

stvwhitewalker
stvwhitewalker
✭✭✭
can someone at zos explain why when i reached the end of frostvault and was in the middle of the boss fight my screen and character froze i was unable to do anything yet the music continued to play unaffected i expect this sort of thing when a game first comes out but after 5 years or so it is totally unacceptable. i have now had to go back to the dashboard and restart the game
xbox eu

Best Answer

• Guyle
    Guyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last boss in Frostvault is notorious for hard crashing ppl. A clear without someone crashing is definitely the exception to the norm in my experience. They are and have been aware for months of this issue.
    Answer ✓
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just works
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine being so frustrated over one single game freeze...
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it a little more troubling how everyone sort of accepts it, and you'll hear things like "I'm only crashing once an hour...it's not so bad"

I have only crashed a handful of times across many, many games, including other MMO's. And yes, on console. Never had a crash in Neverwinter, BDO, Tera, or FFXIV. ONLY IN ESO, and only with such frequency since Dragonhold. Even ESO, while by far giving me the most blue screens (the PS4 version, not the PC version...there's a massive difference) it has never been this bad.

I'm worried how beaten down we are with performance issues that you'll hear how it's not so bad to crash once an hour. It's insane.

Edit: See the comment above mine, proving my point. Imagine how the community accepts this...
    Edited by Kel on December 9, 2019 12:41PM
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »

"one single game freeze"

You must be new here.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SlrnLu8.png
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »

"one single game freeze"

You must be new here.

Exactly because I'm not new, I'm amused by people reacting on one freeze (as described in OP) as opposed to many people who experience constant problems with the game

Edit to add: I cannot remember single app or service that didn't act up or glitch at least once
    Edited by Nairinhe on December 9, 2019 1:31PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's called Frostvault for a reason ...
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not from ZOS so I can't answer for them.

As for me, my game crashes and freezes I tend to think is more likely caused by our game machines than by ZOS coding.

I've been in this game for a long, long time with over 14,000 hours game time (last time I looked in January of 2019). I have had maybe one crash every month of game play and I don't mean like what you experienced but instead the game just goes "Oh, you are not actively playing so I'm going to kick you out" type thing. Which means I have to log back in and get to it again.

A few years back I had a few crashes on game startup which turned out to be my Addon's. That took a little bit to figure out.

The worst game crashing that took me a while to figure out was due to one of my RAM cards being slightly out of socket.

One other game crashing problem I had was due to a bad Nvidia driver install. My screen would turn off but the sound continued.

The only other issue in game I have had recently is game disconnecting but that is due to me hot spotting through my cell phone till I can get a land line installed in my house.
  • Ode2Order
    Ode2Order
    ✭✭✭
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    I'm not from ZOS so I can't answer for them.

As for me, my game crashes and freezes I tend to think is more likely caused by our game machines than by ZOS coding.

I've been in this game for a long, long time with over 14,000 hours game time (last time I looked in January of 2019). I have had maybe one crash every month of game play and I don't mean like what you experienced but instead the game just goes "Oh, you are not actively playing so I'm going to kick you out" type thing. Which means I have to log back in and get to it again.

A few years back I had a few crashes on game startup which turned out to be my Addon's. That took a little bit to figure out.

The worst game crashing that took me a while to figure out was due to one of my RAM cards being slightly out of socket.

One other game crashing problem I had was due to a bad Nvidia driver install. My screen would turn off but the sound continued.

The only other issue in game I have had recently is game disconnecting but that is due to me hot spotting through my cell phone till I can get a land line installed in my house.

I second this tbh, I had lots of freezes/lag on my old gaming laptop, mainly bc it was old and overheating most of the time. Now that I have a different machine I rarely have a crash. Other than when the servers poop themselves of course. :P
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me at a stop light the other day. The light turned green and the car in front of me had lag. After I honked my horn it cleared up.
    Edited by Veinblood1965 on December 9, 2019 3:38PM
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like how people are defending zos here, it really freaks me out. Freezes and crashes are a daily aspect of the game after all this time, the finder never works for finder events after all this time so bad they cancelled the event. You cant do vMA w/o half a dozen 4-5 second freezes possibly ruining a no death run or even getting kicked for no reason, just walking along, and then being told you are still logged in as you are trying to log in. Yes many (not most) games have problems, usually early on, but MOST games do NOT just crash as part of the daily experience. I don't know where some people get this stuff.

• stvwhitewalker
    stvwhitewalker
    ✭✭✭
    whilst ignoring some of the idiotic replies from those who have nothing better to do than try to be comical, i get that the game can crash and i loose connection what i failed to understand is that just my character froze the game continued on in the background so i actually did not loose connection and as pointed out this is not something new so perhaps a better question to zos is why are you still sitting on your arses and not fixing something that you are aware of, even perhaps a response we know there is a problem but we have no idea how to correct it is better than complete silence
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kel

Not calling BS but you can do a quick search of any of those games you mentioned, and you’ll find people frustrated just like you that they are crashing. Where you are in the minority of people not crashing in those games, there is a reverse-Kel who is crashing in those games. But I do definitely agree it should not become of the norm, to expect to crash — I don’t know the last time I crashed, I’m on a second gen console.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    @Kel

Not calling BS but you can do a quick search of any of those games you mentioned, and you’ll find people frustrated just like you that they are crashing. Where you are in the minority of people not crashing in those games, there is a reverse-Kel who is crashing in those games. But I do definitely agree it should not become of the norm, to expect to crash — I don’t know the last time I crashed, I’m on a second gen console.

I'm not saying or claiming everyone had the exact same experience. I'm saying I've never personally crashed in any other game. (In the MMO genre.)

I feel bad for reverse Kel...I honestly do. But I can't speak for him or his experience. Only my own.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whilst ignoring some of the idiotic replies from those who have nothing better to do than try to be comical, i get that the game can crash and i loose connection what i failed to understand is that just my character froze the game continued on in the background so i actually did not loose connection and as pointed out this is not something new so perhaps a better question to zos is why are you still sitting on your arses and not fixing something that you are aware of, even perhaps a response we know there is a problem but we have no idea how to correct it is better than complete silence

I've encountered a really weird bug in Frostvault too, today, at the first boss, the Icestalker Troll. He hit me with his stomp, which ends up in an animation that has you lying on the ground, stunned, for a short while. This happened just when he was dying, and for whatever reason, the lying animation just wouldn't stop. I could move my toon (which looked absolutely ridiculous), but not do or activate anything.
    Luckily I had a great PUG that waited when I asked them to, and, even more luckily, the bug somehow resolved itself after a minute or so, but there was nothing I could actively do about it. And there are lots of weird bugs like this in dungeons, like the "feared into a wall" thing that can happen in Wayres Sewers I, had that happen too a few days ago, needed to use "get me unstuck" to continue. It's certainly not the worst that can happen in ESO, but it's still annoying, especially since some of these bugs and glitches have been known for a long time.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!