Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Event Start and End Times

JamuThatsWho
JamuThatsWho
✭✭✭✭✭
This is something that's been bugging me for a while now, but why do events always end on a Monday at 15:00 GMT for EU?

I'm pretty sure most of us are at school or work at that time, meaning we always miss out on the last day of an event. I don't get home from work until 17:00, for example. And even then, I play with my kids until their bedtime at 19:00.

Would it be possible to start events a day earlier so they end on a Sunday, or else let them run till, say, 22:00 GMT something?
@JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to guess, events start at 10 AM eastern, or mid-morning for the ZOS staff on the US east coast. Its probably a matter of what's convenient for the devs.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    End of ZOS' first coffee break of the week

Makes total sense :smiley:

Edited by Gythral on December 9, 2019 7:26AM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They end at 3:00 AM CST for me.

Not exactly prime time for anything.

• Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »

Yeah, but you can still do them after the daily reset that happens at 2 am EST, so at 7 PM CST. ;) In CET it's at 8 am, when most people are at work or going to work. But yeah, I find it strange that the first and last day of the event is really 2/3 and 1/3 of a day. I'd prefer if the events matched the daily reset.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michae wrote: »
    I'd prefer if the events matched the daily reset.
    Oh yes. If all reset times were the same (where applicable of course), now that would simplify planning a good bit.

PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos seems to manage all servers based on their time zone. That includes even start and end times for evens. As long as the start and end times are about the same time of day it still give every one the same access. Granted, I do not really pay attention to start and end times.
  • notvenousdrake
    notvenousdrake
    ✭✭✭
    I agree

(Btw rip juice wrld)
  • Bhaji
    Bhaji
    ✭✭✭
    Why does the patch always remove at least 6 hours from the last day of an event thereby preventing the collection of the last 2 event tickets? Unless, of course when the servers reactivate at 1300 utc the tickets can still be collected until 1500 hours utc? I know it's not world ending but it just compounds the intense irritation of losing the possiblility of morning play whenever patches or updates are applied to the EU server. No one has ever offered an acceptable excuse for not patching the EU servers during the EU 4am to 8 am time slot.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well op, Monday is usually maintenance day so the last day of an event is usually lost anyway
  • Bhaji
    Bhaji
    ✭✭✭
    Not beyond the wit of man to delay until the day after an event closes
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have to remember that ZOS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Bethesda, which started in beautiful downtown Bethesda, Maryland which is a sleepy suburb of beautiful downtown Washington, DC -- itself long known as the home of Southern efficiency married to Northern charm.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • morrowjen
    morrowjen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to remember that ZOS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Bethesda, which started in beautiful downtown Bethesda, Maryland which is a sleepy suburb of beautiful downtown Washington, DC -- itself long known as the home of Southern efficiency married to Northern charm.

"Southern efficiency." I'm from the South and I love this phrase so much I'm stealing it along with "Northern Charm." :D
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because ZoS isnt as concerned with the EU playerbase, even tho we have more potential players.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, servers are back up as it seems. Maintenance is complete.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it would be better if they could pick 1 reset time for everything instead of having different times for different things, and if the people who schedule events could talk to the people who schedule maintenance and work something out so they don't conflict with each other. No it wouldn't enable everyone to play on a Monday, but it would make it easier to work out what your options are.
    Anyway, servers are back up as it seems. Maintenance is complete.

I don't get the message that the servers are offline, but when I start the launcher it doesn't update and when I try to log in it tells me I'm using an out-dated client and should update. So I'm not quite sure what's happening right now.

That's a joke right? From what I know of Americans and their stereotypes about themselves it seems like it should be the other way around.
    Edited by Danikat on December 9, 2019 11:59AM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be so difficult to adjust the times for the EU server so they're a little more sane? Why do they HAVE to sync up with US time?
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, events always end at 10 AM EST and the reset is at 2 AM EST, so the time zone ZOS works at doesn't have super convenient times either to complete the event.

Although I do agree it is ridiculous there is always maintenance right before the event ends.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not go by calendar day based on where you selected when you first set up your account?

There is zero purpose behind the partial days and everyone could participate equally, so long as you achieved on a given day.

20 hours timers are asinine. 24 hour timers based on anything other than calendar day are equally asinine.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Event starts, end times for the server ...
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not go by calendar day based on where you selected when you first set up your account?

There is zero purpose behind the partial days and everyone could participate equally, so long as you achieved on a given day.

20 hours timers are asinine. 24 hour timers based on anything other than calendar day are equally asinine.

That would require about 10 different reset times per server, so bad idea.
    barney2525 wrote: »

How can that be if they end at 10am EST? They should be ending at 9AM for you.

Danikat wrote: »
    I agree it would be better if they could pick 1 reset time for everything instead of having different times for different things, and if the people who schedule events could talk to the people who schedule maintenance and work something out so they don't conflict with each other. No it wouldn't enable everyone to play on a Monday, but it would make it easier to work out what your options are.

Well, everything resets at 1 (or 2)AM EST, except the daily login, which resets at midnight UTC. The thing with events is that they probably require some manual intervention to turn on and off (and then some monitoring to make sure things went as planned), so doing that during the work day makes more sense.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

Not at all.

Reset time could remain the same. Simply add a server side check, comparing your previously specified time zone to see if it's "your tomorrow." If it is, you get the drop. If it's not, you get to wait.

There are no day specific events. If you need a pledge, for instance, it doesn't matter if it's today's or tomorrow's. Just needs to be a pledge/world boss/orphan delivered loaf of bread/whatever.

It's not rocket science. It would just require them to extend events a day longer to cover the GMT +1's to the +23's, still giving everyone equal chance without inconvenience.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not at all.

Reset time could remain the same. Simply add a server side check, comparing your previously specified time zone to see if it's "your tomorrow." If it is, you get the drop. If it's not, you get to wait.

There are no day specific events. If you need a pledge, for instance, it doesn't matter if it's today's or tomorrow's. Just needs to be a pledge/world boss/orphan delivered loaf of bread/whatever.

It's not rocket science. It would just require them to extend events a day longer to cover the GMT +1's to the +23's, still giving everyone equal chance without inconvenience.

Pledges aren't sharable... so you'd be splitting the already small queues among people who are on different "days"
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Not at all.

Pledges aren't sharable... so you'd be splitting the already small queues among people who are on different "days"

Agreed, that would be terrible! I regularly play with people from different time zones, including running pledges, and this would be just ridiculous. We’re all in Tamriel — who cares what our local time is? We should all be on the same day with access to the same pledges and other dailies as it is now.

I do agree that it would be better for the event days to align with the daily reset. It seems far more logical and would give everyone an equal chance for tickets.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest I don’t have a problem with this.

In UK - events usually start about 3pm so have evening of first day to join in. Then have morning/early afternoon of last day to grab tickets if necessary before ends at 3pm.

If did start/stop at daily reset, which time would this be? And would it change as it does in summertime? And what if it bugged out like the lux vendor is currently?

And the idea that there should be multiple start & stop times depending on your time zone just feels like a recipe for disaster.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    (NA East Coast here) Never made sense to me either. I usually have to wake up super early or stay up super late to grab the last tickets of an event before/after work because of the weird times for that last day. They always do 'maintenance' for several hours on that Monday morning as well, which can prevent me from grabbing event tickets... Actually it makes perfect sense now that they are selling event tickets... hmm.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    End of ZOS' first coffee break of the week

Makes total sense :smiley:
    Yes, update 07:00 CET is perfect, kill two dragons and go to work, knowing you killed two dragons before going to work :)

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish they wouldn't keep ending them on maintenance days. They don't need a maintenance to turn them off or on, so doing this just costs people who can't get on until later their last day of the event. (And, because they can't get on until later, they're probably missing out on the first day of the event as well, since they probably aren't getting to play between 10AM EST and dailies reset.)

Seems a smidge inconsiderate and unfair to people outside the normal time zones or those inside the normal time zones who keep unusual hours.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on December 9, 2019 7:47PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way.. when ZoS "computes" the number of tickets that you can get. They do not include the tickets that you can get on the "turn-over" day, which is when the maintenance is done. Those are bonus tickets you can get, if you want them. :smile:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

That's a joke right? From what I know of Americans and their stereotypes about themselves it seems like it should be the other way around.

Northerners are stereotyped as being always in a rush and too busy to engage in pleasantries. Southerners are known for the opposite. So, yes, it is a reversal of the usual stereotype.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Yes, update 07:00 CET is perfect, kill two dragons and go to work, knowing you killed two dragons before going to work :)

Well, there would be no need for that when events starts and ends with daily reset. You'd have a whole day to do the final event-day's dailies, no point doing it in the morning unless you really had no time the day before.

Right now, those who find time to play in the 15 hours between event start and daily reset and in the 9 hours between daily reset and event end get an extra daily out of the event. Why take that away? It would make sense to reset events at 6pm UTC to make it 12h:12h (although, personally, the way it currently is fits my 6 to 2 CET work schedule pretty well.)