The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Are there any deep/well written npcs?

• Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Often mentioned but yeah seeing Sotha Sil is Always nice, really love him, helps that he reminds me of a favourite character from a book series I really love.
    Wilderking quest line is really nice.
    Among my favourite quest lines are also the Imperial City quests with the drake of blades and personally I was a fan of the black Dragon in dark brotherhood too (kinda wouldve liked the Option to side with her and the order).
    I also like doing the pact academy in deshaan but thats probably just me.
    One I also liked was the one in Summerset in the Direnni Acropolis but might just be me again.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of Abnur Tharn, I really love him, I don't know his english voice acting, but the german one is beautifully sarcastic and arrogant and it works so well with him.
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    The Drake of Blades in Imperial City. It’s a shame that IC is pvp

I love the Drake of Blades. Not just because of the voice acting and story, but because she's autistic. Being on the spectrum myself it was such a great feeling to find a character that I could identify with. <3
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all mentioned in this thread. Jakarn is another one worth getting to know. You meet him in Stros Makai.

Bumnog is another reoccurring character just out to prove himself.

And, lets not forget that adorable Wood Elf you work with on Wrothgar. I forget her name, but she is part of the zone quest there.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I agree with all mentioned in this thread. Jakarn is another one worth getting to know. You meet him in Stros Makai.

Bumnog is another reoccurring character just out to prove himself.

And, lets not forget that adorable Wood Elf you work with on Wrothgar. I forget her name, but she is part of the zone quest there.

Eveli Sharp-Arrow. Her idealism and sense of adventure was a great foil for my older and rather past-her-glory-days Vestige.
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved that character so much. Her fate is ... appropriate, I guess, is the word I'd use.
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    Ofc he is voiced by the legendary John Cleese which probably helps.
    I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but his voice work in Elsweyr compared to his original appearance was making painfully clear that he is, let's say, aging.

Maybe, maybe not. We do not know how the directing and script effects things. Though I though Cadwell was fabulous in Elsweyr.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like that lil forgetful Daedric midget Fa Nauit in Maelstrom. He’s hilarious. Every time he uses his whole arm to wipe his mouth off after taking a drink has me in stiches. EVERYBODY in ESO does it; but none better than Fa. Lol
    Edited by JumpmanLane on December 9, 2019 12:44AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wilderking quest in (I think) Greenshade has some incredible depth and voice acting in the female high elf character named Aranias, who is central to that quest-line. I love that character.
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Valabrog Just a fyi, Rigurt has a Questline in Deshaan that kinda establishes his role and the general structure of his recurring bit role in the other zones.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    I am a big fan of Abnur Tharn, I really love him, I don't know his english voice acting, but the german one is beautifully sarcastic and arrogant and it works so well with him.
    The english one is great, works perfectly.
    And yes, he has some really nifty dialouge written for him, a armor of sarcasm and arrogance hiding that he actually cares...
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was one character in Vvardenfell I enjoyed kicking down a well!
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of my favorites:
    • Razum-dar, for the usual reasons.
    • Darien Gauthier, ditto.
    • Jakarn, based both on one's interactions with him and on how the (many) women in his life see him. (The whole Spearhead group was well-drawn, but he's the most fun.)
    • Velsa. (The whole Thieves Guild crew was equally well-drawn, but she's the most fun.)
    • Valsierien, I guess, although none of that crew was all that much fun. :)
    • Not Rigurt, only because I happen not to like that kind of buffoon.
    • Gabrielle, only because I have a fondness for very smart women, and then also only because I'm willing to overlook a couple of notes from her in Stonefalls.
    • Naryu, but I haven't done her non-Pact quests.
    • Kireth Vanos, who is more emotionally aware and substantive than her brother Raynor.
    • Count Verandis, both based on one's interactions with him and on how his team sees him.
    • Melina Cassell, even though she exists only in hireling emails.
    • Gwendis, based largely on a note she left near the spider WB and on Melina's view of her.
    • King Emeric, who thinks more about how to be a good leader for his people than anybody else in the game.
    • Abnur Tharn, who's one of the runners-up to Emeric by that criterion.
    • Queen Ayrenn, who gets a big boost from that song about her.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on February 16, 2020 6:22AM
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd say the Thieves Guild and Orsinium have some of the best written characters in this game. I also like Green-Venom-Tongue from Dark Brotherhood. I also have a soft spot for the Vanos twins. They always crack me up. Abnur Tharn, maybe. Oh, and Cadwell. Jon Cleese is still the man. =)

PS. And Sotha Sil of course. I even got his quote in my decription.
    Edited by Michae on December 9, 2019 11:38AM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Zephard
    Zephard
    ✭✭✭
    Walks-Softly from Theives DLC is a good depth for the short time you deal with him, decent development.
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could tell you...
    But in all honesty...
    I stopped reading all the PvE quest stories years ago...
  • Amanuensis
    Amanuensis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stuga. One line. One interaction. Instant legend and meme-extraordinaire. More memorable than NPCs with better development and bigger roles.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s only one

Nice day for fishing ain’t it?
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Raz and Cadwell
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Drake of Blades is fantastically well written. I think Abnur Tharn is one of the most underrated characters in ESO. His arch from the base story to Elsweyr was very well done.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every NPC in Clockwork City main story and Astronomer quest, Alchemy in Summerset, to name a few. (For me they are better than anything new that SWTOR or Bioware has written in the last years)
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Sotha Sil is simply awesome. The voiceover is great.

Provost Varuni Arvel in Clockwork City is a very well written, very deep character. And her voice is lovely.

Her character development is amazing and gives Sotha Sil a sense of purpose, both Intertwine marvelously (you need to speak with her at the end, because is not mandatory)
    Edited by Loves_guars on December 10, 2019 6:08AM
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Razum Dar, Khamira , Shazah and Khali and for minor character Captain Jimila und Zur (I like most Khajiit chracters, I feel them to be the race you can have most fun with)

Nauru, Kireth Vanos

Sir Cadwell

I don't really like Darian and Rigurt - they are too one dimensional for me

• Arjuna1696
    Arjuna1696
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't get a ton of development per se, but Heem-Jas from Ruins of Mazzatun just *** kills me. "My blood is filled with sap. And fury." :D
    Edited by Arjuna1696 on December 12, 2019 3:37PM
    Arjúna | Wood Elf Stamina Warden | of the Undying Song | Flawless Conquerer
    Tangles-Up-In-Blue | Argonian Magicka Warden | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
    Marcełine | Dark Elf Magicka Nightblade | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
    Nausîcaä | Breton Magicka Templar | Spirit Slayer | Flawless Conquerer
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OK seriously ZOS, if you want to cater... forget this Skyrim nonsense that caters to nostalgia. If you want to make the big bucks you'll want MOAR SOTHA SIL.

Me, if you give us more Tribunal:

tenor.gif

EDIT: OH MY GOD how is Tenor the WORST for GIF embeds? IT IS LITERALLY A SITE FOR GIFS.
    Edited by SidraWillowsky on December 10, 2019 2:32PM
  • Inaya
    Inaya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see Seleyne the drunk mage kitty come back. Her story was written without and ending and I think her character could really be fleshed out well.

It would be very simple to have an extensive quest line with her while leaning her whole story.
  • static_recharge
    static_recharge
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheFM wrote: »
    Naryu is an easy Pact favorite.... from Deshaan to the quick meeting in eastmarch to the more involved interaction in Vvardenfell to the quick encounter in the gold coast... she is fun. Also the implied interaction between her and Razum-dar is neat to read between the lines...
    Rigurt on the other hand... is a rumbling belly-laugh wherever you meet him! Rude, crude, and not very bright... but so good natured you just cannot fault him for it.
    I also always enjoy meeting a certain dunmer brother and sister explorer pair specializing in dwemer ruins and clockwork discoveries...

Razum-dar makes up for Ayrenns somewhat bland demeanor all across the AD questline. So much that in the end, you are quite happy he escaped his "noble sacrifice" and you get to meet him again in summerset and elsweyr... most other AD people kinda pale in his shadow. I mean, who even wants to remember Telenger and his "oh, look, I am so great an artificer" arrogance?

On the DC side, Darien seems bland at first, gets more interesting... once you know.
    Stibbons on the other hand... what a man! Daedra want him, ghosts want to be him... :p;)
    Gabrielle Benele and Lady Laurent on the other hand... eh. I just find them grating sometimes... though the latter comes as a double act with Stibbons, and the former... might get some screen time someday trying to resolve the issue of recovering her designated boyfriend... (you know who... no, no, not THAT you-know-who, that's an entirely different universe! ;p )

Abner Tharn is also an interesting one, throughout the mainstory and for elsweyr... I suspect we haven't seen the last of him, despite his uncertain fate after Dragonhold...
    Sai Sahan got his encore, and its entirely likely that Lyris might as well come a "Western Skyrim" expansion (which would make sense for the skyrim anniversary, yes?)

Eveli Sharp-Arrow also deserves a mention here, and many would love to see her again as well sometime (maybe with western skyrim since its near where we last saw her?)

Velsa from the thieves guild has been mentioned, and yes, she is very interesting and I almost would like to see more, if I didn't wish her happyness with her finally reunited girlfriend... there also is a certain somewhat flamboyant argonian in that guild if we want to talk about interesting NPCs...

And there are a few others that are interesting to listen to. Sothra Sil has been said, and I agree. Barbas the hound, also more interesting then one might think at first glance. Uncle Sheo, duh, he got all the butterflies! And several more NPCs as well, from a khajiiti princess to two argonians from different tribes in murkmire, from orc mercenaries getting around to a pirate crew in dragonhold, from a psijic elf to a argonian rising through wizardly ranks no matter the cost...

Stibbons and lady laurant are in both dc and ad starting areas.

Actually they are just in DC starting areas. They appear in Summerset, but that's not an AD starting area, it's a chapter.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuga.
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheFM wrote: »
    Naryu is an easy Pact favorite.... from Deshaan to the quick meeting in eastmarch to the more involved interaction in Vvardenfell to the quick encounter in the gold coast... she is fun. Also the implied interaction between her and Razum-dar is neat to read between the lines...
    Rigurt on the other hand... is a rumbling belly-laugh wherever you meet him! Rude, crude, and not very bright... but so good natured you just cannot fault him for it.
    I also always enjoy meeting a certain dunmer brother and sister explorer pair specializing in dwemer ruins and clockwork discoveries...

Razum-dar makes up for Ayrenns somewhat bland demeanor all across the AD questline. So much that in the end, you are quite happy he escaped his "noble sacrifice" and you get to meet him again in summerset and elsweyr... most other AD people kinda pale in his shadow. I mean, who even wants to remember Telenger and his "oh, look, I am so great an artificer" arrogance?

On the DC side, Darien seems bland at first, gets more interesting... once you know.
    Stibbons on the other hand... what a man! Daedra want him, ghosts want to be him... :p;)
    Gabrielle Benele and Lady Laurent on the other hand... eh. I just find them grating sometimes... though the latter comes as a double act with Stibbons, and the former... might get some screen time someday trying to resolve the issue of recovering her designated boyfriend... (you know who... no, no, not THAT you-know-who, that's an entirely different universe! ;p )

Abner Tharn is also an interesting one, throughout the mainstory and for elsweyr... I suspect we haven't seen the last of him, despite his uncertain fate after Dragonhold...
    Sai Sahan got his encore, and its entirely likely that Lyris might as well come a "Western Skyrim" expansion (which would make sense for the skyrim anniversary, yes?)

Eveli Sharp-Arrow also deserves a mention here, and many would love to see her again as well sometime (maybe with western skyrim since its near where we last saw her?)

Velsa from the thieves guild has been mentioned, and yes, she is very interesting and I almost would like to see more, if I didn't wish her happyness with her finally reunited girlfriend... there also is a certain somewhat flamboyant argonian in that guild if we want to talk about interesting NPCs...

And there are a few others that are interesting to listen to. Sothra Sil has been said, and I agree. Barbas the hound, also more interesting then one might think at first glance. Uncle Sheo, duh, he got all the butterflies! And several more NPCs as well, from a khajiiti princess to two argonians from different tribes in murkmire, from orc mercenaries getting around to a pirate crew in dragonhold, from a psijic elf to a argonian rising through wizardly ranks no matter the cost...

Stibbons and lady laurant are in both dc and ad starting areas.

Actually they are just in DC starting areas. They appear in Summerset, but that's not an AD starting area, it's a chapter.

According to UESP, they appear as follows (in Spoilers as some others may not have played those yet):

Lady Clarisse Laurent:
    The Jeweled Crown of Anton - Glenumbra (DC - base game)
    The Emerald Chalice - Rivenspire (DC - base game)
    Thwarting the Aldmeri Dominion - Alik'r Desert (DC - base game)
    Tongues of Stone - Bangkorai (DC - base game)
    Sorrow's Kiss - Wrothgar (DC - DLC Orsinium)
    A Web of Troubles - Vvardenfell (EP - Morrowind DLC)
    Something About Stibbons - Murkmire (EP - DLC Murkmire)
    The Weight of Three Crowns - Stirk (Main Quest - base game) - I am not sure, and I will have to verify it next time I get to it, but doesn't Lady Laurent appear in the camp too?
    The Library of Dusk (Coldharbour - Main Quest - base game)

Stibbons:
    The Jeweled Crown of Anton - Glenumbra (DC - base game)
    The Emerald Chalice - Rivenspire (DC - base game)
    Saving Stibbons - (Coldharbour - Main Quest - base game)
    Lady Laurent's Favor - Alik'r Desert (DC - base game)
    Tongues of Stone - Bangkorai (DC - base game)
    What the Heart Wants - (Coldharbour - Main Quest - base game)
    Sorrow's Kiss - Wrothgar (DC - DLC Orsinium)
    A Web of Troubles - Vvardenfell (EP - Morrowind DLC)
    Something About Stibbons - Murkmire (EP - DLC Murkmire)

Are you sure they are on Summerset? I must have missed them somehow, or I don't remember.
    Edited by Watchdog on December 11, 2019 1:44PM
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    Maiq not deep enough for you?

M'aiq is just... priceless!
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definietly Naryu and Raz are the best NPCs in this game.
    I think Darien Gautier is pretty good character too and he makes a comeback at summerset.
    Jakarn was also one of my favourites when I started the game but sadly he is not joining you in any quests after tutorial zones. You can still find him in Alik'r and Bankorai(? I think. He does a few come backs in DC zones) but doesn't join you anymore (and he also broke Majoll's heart </3 ) Jakarn has a small comeback quest in Elsweyr but his character didn't really feel the same to me....