The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Breton or Highelf or Argonian

• Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar spells are very expensive, so sustain is quite hard

Wut ? Templar is the easiest healer to sustain with the warden..
    If you've trouble with Templar sustain the race isn't the problem.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    Templar spells are very expensive, so sustain is quite hard

Wut ? Templar is the easiest healer to sustain with the warden..
    If you've trouble with Templar sustain the race isn't the problem.

You should also mind the context, not just extract 3 words from that text. It's pretty clear I was referring to the DD rotation, not healing. Healing is easier to sustain in general, after they changed Orbs. Before that orb spam was the main magicka drain. Warden is better than Templar at support because it has more group buffs, although templar has better raw healing - hardly needed in PvE where you can easily hit a cap on effective healing.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Breton by a long shot.

Even when Breton only had 3% spell cost reduction magicka sustain was pretty evenly matched with Argonian potion passive. Now it's 7% so there's really no contest. Templar spells are very expensive, so sustain is quite hard on Dark Elf or High Elf. You would be forced to either do heavy attacks or use Spell Symmetry every 2nd rotation to be able to sustain in PvE. Which will eat into your damage quite a lot since you lose a GCD, most likely outweighing that extra 335 spell damage you get from racial bonuses (with Major & Minor Sorcery).

Also going vampire will be more dangerous on High Elf because you have less resistance than either Dark Elf (fire resistance) or Breton (spell resistance) - a large chunk of incoming damage in trials and dungeons is flame, and they also changed how the multipliers stack up so high stage vampires take much more damage than they used to.

As for PvP specifically stamina sustain is not hard, if you build for it. For example I paired Amberplasm & Shacklebreaker on mine so I have >1K stamina recovery (1.2K with tri-pots) and still decent magicka pool and spell damage: 31K and 3.3K respectively on no-CP. I can reach 26.5K spell resistance and 20K physical resistance in light armor; on CP that increases to 30K/24.5K respectively (as high as heavy armor) and 37K maximum magicka (not far from a typical PvE DD build). Basically what you gain in sustain you can invest in damage and you are tankier to boot.

Yea, this is true, but you’re still giving up something running those sets even though it’s a good combination.

For example as an Altmer I New Moon and Bright throat with 10k stamina, back bar potatoes resto. As a Breton you’d get thumped hard running those sets because of stamina sustain.

You can build around stamina sustain as a Breton and do well, but races like Altmer let you not worry about stamina so can invest more in your primary stats.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've played as a Breton and High Elf Templar healer (On Xbox and PC) and personally, I prefer High Elf, but I think that's more for the sake of appearance. Both, in my opinion, make very good healers, I can't comment on Argonians as I'm not personally a fan of them.

Honestly, if it's your first healer and you're worried about sustain issues, I'd go Breton, if you think you can manage without a Breton's passives, I'd go for either of the two.
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Main character: Healer, CP 1300+,
    Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neivos wrote: »
    Which would make a better Templar healer and Why?

It really depends on what you mean by "better".

Easiest to play? Breton. New healers tend to be bad a resource management, over casting abilities and for getting to heavy attack at the appropriate time. The spell resist passive helps in most of the more difficult trails too. Their HPS is sufficient for every thing.

Highest potential HPS? Altmer. More raw stats means more healing, simple enough. In the current meta there is typically lots of opportunity to heavy attack for magicka, which also gives you major mending for a little bit, increasing your HPS further. You can also run a magicka regen jewelry enchant and still have higher raw healing stats than a Breton or Argonian.

Most forgiving for mechanical errors? Argonian. Higher health and the potion passive just give you more survivability while still leaving you with sustain and HPS potential somewhere between the other two.

In all honesty, most people over value both HPS and sustain for healing in ESO. Your HPS only needs to be "good enough" that people aren't dying to damage that could be prevented by healing and your sustain only needs to be "good enough" that you can keep healing people through the entire fight (which is quite easy with periodic heavy attacking).

My main templar healer is an Argonian and I've had no issues with sustain or HPS in anything I've healed (including a couple successful Gryphon Heart runs). My only real complaint about it is that the sudden burst of stamina make Martial Knowledge annoying to keep up.

If I had to make a new templar healer today, I would pick an Altmer as I believe it gives the best balance between stamina return for PotL while avoiding the sudden inflow of stamina Argonians receive that makes Martial Knowledge difficult to manage. I think this is currently far more important than the actual healing potential of any of the races but it's also pretty irrelevant until you try to optimize healing for endgame PvE content.

So pick which ever you like and know it's a good choice.
  • ayu_fever
    ayu_fever
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lizards and cats are slave races.
    literally anything is better than either of those.

dunmer master race!!!!!!!

BUT breton is the “best” for healers and its what my templar is and she is my main.
    dark elf on my warden and on necro healers is strong and i like it a lot.
    my NB healer is high elf and hasnt let me down
    PS4 NA

all characters are members of the ebonheart pact master race
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT

main character:
    Rebekah Straight-Fire, breton templar healer: THE FATEBRINGER (dungeons, trials, pvp)
    —MERIDIA’S LUSTRANT— 1100+CP; alliance rank 21 (major grade 1); Rebekah is the most devoted and loyal follower of the lady of infinite energies and the highest ascendant of meridia’s purified legion and was forged from meridia’s brilliant radiance of purity.

other meta toons-
    Alexa Straight-Fire, breton warden healer: THE ALCHEMIST (dungeons, trials)
    Sasha Straight-Fire, nord dragonknight tank: THE UNBREAKABLE (dungeons, trials)
    Freyja Straight-Fire, nord warden tank: THE ICEBERG (dungeons, trials)
    Ororo Straight-Fire, dark elf magsorc: THE SHOCKWAVE (dungeons, trials)
    Michonne Straight-Fire, redguard stamDK: THE EVISCERATOR (dungeons, trials)

just for fun toons-
    Rhea Straight-Fire, wood elf warden stam healer: THE RANGER
    Shiva Straight-Fire, high elf warden ice mage: THE CRYOMANCER
    Morgana Straight-Fire, dark elf necromancer solo play: THE DEATHSINGER
    Lucille Straight-Fire, dark elf nightblade solo play: THE VOIDWALKER
    Diana Straight-Fire, nord templar tank: THE CLERIC
    Falsetto Straight-Fire, orc stamsorc werewolf: THE THUNDERHOWL