The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

need help, stamsorc or stamplar?

rabidmyers
rabidmyers
✭✭✭✭✭
heya friends, i really like both stamsorc and stamplar and i am having quite a hard time tryna decide which class to use

i like doing everything in this game such as pve, pvp, trials etc etc etc i do it all oh and i like to solo alot

i would love some opinions on/recommendations on this matter

thank u :)
at a place nobody knows
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamsorc.
    Stamplar is too good right now, most probably will be nerfed in nearest time.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamsorc.

Woah Stamplar is too good? Maybe it’s time to come back. How hard did they have to nerf everything else for Stamplar to become too good.
  • Masshypnosis
    Play stamplar or maybe magplar... both are really strong right now. I have a blast playing templar at the moment.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar, 100%. Stamsorc is just an undesired consequence of magsorc and stamina classes existing in the game at the same time. No class identity whatsoever, no flavor and being underdog since at least 3 years makes stamsorc one of the most poopy classes to play imo.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have fun with both my Stamplers and Stamsorcs...
    Stamplers are currently up, but the next nerfings will come sooner or later anyhow, so who knows?

I personally would suggest playing what YOU find fun, and don't worry about what is more effective right now, because that will change in due time anyhow.

So, ask yourself what kind of character you want to make?
    Holy Warrior, Crusader Knight, With-Hunter or Inquisitor Guard? Go with Stampler.
    Dark Knight, Evil Cultist, Storm Priest or Demon Warrior? Go with Stamsorc.
    Pick your flavor, then play the heck out of it! ;)
  • r34lian
    r34lian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rabid64 wrote: »
    heya friends, i really like both stamsorc and stamplar and i am having quite a hard time tryna decide which class to use

i like doing everything in this game such as pve, pvp, trials etc etc etc i do it all oh and i like to solo alot

i would love some opinions on/recommendations on this matter

thank u :)

Why not both
    Stamsorc will be stronger than stamplar in all aspects although not sure about pvp
    2000 CP • 18 Maxed Characters • 6 Altmers • 7 Redguards • Necromancer Orc • Warden Dunmer • DK Nord • DK Imperial • Templar Breton
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never create characters based on what's "FOTM". Long time ago I decided to create and train two characters from each class, one for stamina, the other for magicka and I've been sticking to that schedule for more than 2 years. Training means speccing & gearing for 2 PvE roles, multiple builds and also at least 1 PvP build, getting all skills maxed out, 370+ skill points in total, so I probably have those "alts" better trained than most people train their "mains". Introduction of Necromancer added ~6 months to it but it's nothing special. The order is detailed in my signature, just finished training Magicka Warden (#10), starting with Stamina Necromancer (#11) now.

I played both Stamina Sorcerer (#7) and Stamina Templar (#9) and I can't say I prefer one. They're in a pretty good spot both for PvE and PvP ATM. Both have easy, mostly static rotations in PvE. Stamina Sorcerer has better mobility, Templar has better burst in PvP due to the recent changes to PotL - I played her before that change and it still liked it very much. My view tends to be a bit biased towards the latter, since I'm not really into trials, and I enjoy BGs more than dungeons.
    Edited by Asardes on December 5, 2019 9:37AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    Stamsorc.

Woah Stamplar is too good? Maybe it’s time to come back. How hard did they have to nerf everything else for Stamplar to become too good.

Ha! I thought a little and it seems you are right... there were no any notable buffs to stamplar in last patch, other then change of unreliable in no-CP boom baby (PotL). It's more about nerfs of everybody else, first of all stamNBs and stamDKs who were more effective stam specs before.
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank so much friends, i think im leaning towards stamplar rn, the jabs are just too good and its my fav spammable in the game, i have fun using it

i do love the hurricane ability on stamsorc tho and the crit surge healing
    at a place nobody knows
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS have a far greater concept for magicka characters than they do for stam ones.

The result is that many stam builds all share the same few non-class skills.

That said, I like using my main, a stamsorc, but right now I really love my stamplar. Really, really fun to play.

Oh and hate the way hurricane makes my stamsorc practically invisible. That’s really rubbish.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamsorc.

AGREE! AT LAST some1 who thinks just like me ! Templars are FINE now! ZOS needs to BUFF other classes unlike nerfing templars!
    Think HOW TO BUFF ur class not how to nerf other classes! Lets revert all these stupid nerf race into buff race!

Each new dlc we get harder to pass content! and each dlc our DD/surv gettign lowered ! WAKE UP PPL!
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamsorc.

AGREE! AT LAST some1 who thinks just like me ! Templars are FINE now! ZOS needs to BUFF other classes unlike nerfing templars!
    Think HOW TO BUFF ur class not how to nerf other classes! Lets revert all these stupid nerf race into buff race!

Each new dlc we get harder to pass content! and each dlc our DD/surv gettign lowered ! WAKE UP PPL!

Hello mr wake up people, I'd like to point out to you how a simple replacement of the word "templars" with "stamnb" and "magsorcs" would make you reply EXACLTY the same as every other comment sorcs and nbs have made in the past with regard to their classes. Thus, I ask you: what were you campaigning for in the past against other classes (if you were at all, but considering your comment here I assume you were)?
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I never create characters based on what's "FOTM". Long time ago I decided to create and train two characters from each class, one for stamina, the other for magicka and I've been sticking to that schedule for more than 2 years. Training means speccing & gearing for 2 PvE roles, multiple builds and also at least 1 PvP build, getting all skills maxed out, 370+ skill points in total, so I probably have those "alts" better trained than most people train their "mains". Introduction of Necromancer added ~6 months to it but it's nothing special. The order is detailed in my signature, just finished training Magicka Warden (#10), starting with Stamina Necromancer (#11) now.

I played both Stamina Sorcerer (#7) and Stamina Templar (#9) and I can't say I prefer one. They're in a pretty good spot both for PvE and PvP ATM. Both have easy, mostly static rotations in PvE. Stamina Sorcerer has better mobility, Templar has better burst in PvP due to the recent changes to PotL - I played her before that change and it still liked it very much. My view tends to be a bit biased towards the latter, since I'm not really into trials, and I enjoy BGs more than dungeons.

Ive got 18.

3 of each class. Fully geared (non perfected trial sets though) . Multiple pve roles and all pvp. 3 of each class means i have stam dps, mage dps/healer, and Tank. Except templar who has stamdps/tank, healer, mage dps.

I max out all skills and morphs but dont go for 370 skill points cause its unecessary for even multiple roles. I left the completionism and achievements to my main Magedk.

You become very efficient and building new characters. And having the variety of choice is excellent for keeping things fresh.

Reference OP...Ive always liked stam sorc and stamplar equally. So i get your indecisiveness. I think stamsorc is just a beast solo (farm vma like nothing else) but yeah stamplar is strong in pvp and i like templar tanking more. Both are fine pve dps with a bit more class identity with the stamplar in general.

Good luck!
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not a magsorc ? A nightblade ? dragonknight ? You see in the end it´s all about? your skills, rotation, how you aproach the content in game - nothing else.
  • Exalted_Goose
    Exalted_Goose
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar main here, and I fully recommend the class. Talking from a solo-PvP perspective, we're definitely strong - in my experience, we're probably the top/2nd best Stamina class presently, (next to Stamden). Even if you build into tankiness, PotL and some very strong passives give us excellent burst potential; our class abilities synergise well with Ultimates such as Onslaught, and we're one of very few Stamina specs with any semblance of class identity remaining, (i.e., we don't have to rely quasi-exclusively on weapon abilities for our offence). Our defensive toolkit is also strong, with access to the best Purge in the game, and Rune Focus giving us incredibly cheap Major Resolve/Ward, (as well as extra Stamina, allowing us to sustain through block, and extra resistances if you can set up your "House" in an advantageous position).

Currently, our major drawback is a lack of reliable healing/burst-healing, but if you're running Medium that can be mitigated by slotting Rally. Even in Heavy, if you manage your resources properly and capitalise on Ritual's Minor Mending, Vigor --> Block/Potion can compensate for this adequately. Sustain can be difficult, but Rune gives us considerable breathing space and Repentance - while situational - can be used to burst-sustain back to full resources. Regarding armour choice: Stamplar works very well in both, and can be extremely versatile concerning weapon loadouts. I would recommend Heavy 2H/S&B if you're new to the class as it's by far the most forgiving playstyle, but 2H/DW or Medium 2H/Bow offer some remarkable damage potential and mobility that the class otherwise lacks somewhat. Skills like Repentance actively reward aggressive, high-damage play, and while full-damage Stamplar can be very difficult to master, (as opposed to Stamblade, which can fall back on Shadow Image/Cloak for defence), it's nevertheless incredibly fun, edge-of-your-seat gameplay.

Last I played Stamplar PvE was Elsweyr, and back then we were fairly underwhelming. That said, Jabs gave us some very potent AoE in addition to near-100% uptime of Major Savagery, and sustain against trashmobs is a non-issue with Repentance. Due to the lack of reliable healing, we're quite difficult to solo-PvE with, and getting Flawless was quite a challenge. Even so, Stamplar can definitely hold its own in the vast majority of PvE content, and offers great group utility, (e.g., PotL applying Minor Fracture/Breach, enabling higher group DpS).

I've not played Stamsorc in years, so I really can't offer much in the way of informed opinions on the class. The fun of Stamsorc's mobility remains with me, but other than that, I don't consider myself sufficiently clued-up to offer any sound judgement. Regardless, Stamplar is a solid choice - particularly considering how strong it is this patch, if FOTM is your thing - and I absolutely recommend sticking with it.
    "One fine day in the middle of the night. Two dead Kings got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their bows... and stabbed themselves...".
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamplar main here, and I fully recommend the class. Talking from a solo-PvP perspective, we're definitely strong - in my experience, we're probably the top/2nd best Stamina class presently, (next to Stamden). Even if you build into tankiness, PotL and some very strong passives give us excellent burst potential; our class abilities synergise well with Ultimates such as Onslaught, and we're one of very few Stamina specs with any semblance of class identity remaining, (i.e., we don't have to rely quasi-exclusively on weapon abilities for our offence). Our defensive toolkit is also strong, with access to the best Purge in the game, and Rune Focus giving us incredibly cheap Major Resolve/Ward, (as well as extra Stamina, allowing us to sustain through block, and extra resistances if you can set up your "House" in an advantageous position).

Currently, our major drawback is a lack of reliable healing/burst-healing, but if you're running Medium that can be mitigated by slotting Rally. Even in Heavy, if you manage your resources properly and capitalise on Ritual's Minor Mending, Vigor --> Block/Potion can compensate for this adequately. Sustain can be difficult, but Rune gives us considerable breathing space and Repentance - while situational - can be used to burst-sustain back to full resources. Regarding armour choice: Stamplar works very well in both, and can be extremely versatile concerning weapon loadouts. I would recommend Heavy 2H/S&B if you're new to the class as it's by far the most forgiving playstyle, but 2H/DW or Medium 2H/Bow offer some remarkable damage potential and mobility that the class otherwise lacks somewhat. Skills like Repentance actively reward aggressive, high-damage play, and while full-damage Stamplar can be very difficult to master, (as opposed to Stamblade, which can fall back on Shadow Image/Cloak for defence), it's nevertheless incredibly fun, edge-of-your-seat gameplay.

Last I played Stamplar PvE was Elsweyr, and back then we were fairly underwhelming. That said, Jabs gave us some very potent AoE in addition to near-100% uptime of Major Savagery, and sustain against trashmobs is a non-issue with Repentance. Due to the lack of reliable healing, we're quite difficult to solo-PvE with, and getting Flawless was quite a challenge. Even so, Stamplar can definitely hold its own in the vast majority of PvE content, and offers great group utility, (e.g., PotL applying Minor Fracture/Breach, enabling higher group DpS).

I've not played Stamsorc in years, so I really can't offer much in the way of informed opinions on the class. The fun of Stamsorc's mobility remains with me, but other than that, I don't consider myself sufficiently clued-up to offer any sound judgement. Regardless, Stamplar is a solid choice - particularly considering how strong it is this patch, if FOTM is your thing - and I absolutely recommend sticking with it.

wow thanks, this was very informative

yeah i like to play 5-1-1 medium and with 2h/bow
    at a place nobody knows
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

oh and what do u mean our class abilities synergize well with ultimates such as onsalught, could u expand on that more pls?
    at a place nobody knows
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just say no to the FotM

So stamsorc.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stamsorc.

TTK does not need to go down. All you would accomplish by buffing everything up is dps races in PvE, and one shot builds in pvp that are impossible to avoid because of latency.

No thnx.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nerftheforums
    Stamsorc.

Hello mr wake up people, I'd like to point out to you how a simple replacement of the word "templars" with "stamnb" and "magsorcs" would make you reply EXACLTY the same as every other comment sorcs and nbs have made in the past with regard to their classes. Thus, I ask you: what were you campaigning for in the past against other classes (if you were at all, but considering your comment here I assume you were)?

I was neutral all the time and keep believe that devs do everything to make game better... now i changed my mind!
    I TELL u why... its rollercoaster of nerfs that lowers overall potential increasing difficulty not changing LORE - they just increase difficulty by lowering our potential... if u re down with it and u re ok with it.. ur problem ! i am not ! not anymore ! 1st time i met devs that give something FUN ! and takes it back lowering DMG by 40% !!! WTF (soultrap) and i have 12 heroes = all classes in both stam/mag... classes re totally *** up and unbalanced... but right now... templars (both) have good potential to be unique for solo adventurer (cleanse/self buffs)
    TheFM wrote: »
    Stamsorc.

TTK does not need to go down. All you would accomplish by buffing everything up is dps races in PvE, and one shot builds in pvp that are impossible to avoid because of latency.

No thnx.

Have you seen "battle spirit" buff =)? just tune dmg by it or even make CLASS "battle spirit" - that could tune each class separatly.
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam Templar may have a little more class identity, but Stam Sorc is on top right now.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kahnak wrote: »
    Stam Templar may have a little more class identity, but Stam Sorc is on top right now.

Not in PvP
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mobility vs Power

The choice is yours really.
    PC EU
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play stamplar or maybe magplar... both are really strong right now. I have a blast playing templar at the moment.

I always enjoyed my magplar even when it was inferior.

Maybe it is because I play as a healer with one loadout for dungeon crawls and than my other loadout is AoE / buffs as a damage dealer.

I have played around a bit with the other classes but I keep going back to my magplar as it is just an all around fun character to play.
    Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on December 5, 2019 1:47PM
  • Exalted_Goose
    Exalted_Goose
    ✭✭✭✭
    wow thanks, this was very informative. oh and what do u mean our class abilities synergize well with ultimates such as onsalught, could u expand on that more pls?

No worries at all. And what I meant by that statement was that Onslaught benefits Stamplar's offensive toolkit as a potent utility, as well as a pure-damage Ultimate. Due to the massive penetration buff that Onslaught can grant, inevitably your spammable, (Jabs, or otherwise), will do substantially more damage if you aren't overpenetrating too badly. The final tick of PotL is totally dependant on how much damage you're able to dish out, therefore PotL --> Onslaught --> Spammable/Onslaught --> PotL --> Spammable, (for maximum spammable damage, where no potential damage is lost due to the Onslaught GCD), is lethal.

In short, Onslaught is a massive utility buff for ramping up your PotL damage even more. I'm still trying to iron out the "best" way of implementing Onslaught into an offensive combo that works for me, so the aforementioned might not be ideal to follow, but it'll hopefully give you an idea of what I mean. Moreover, the damage from the Ultimate itself, added to the additional damage to Jabs, can also be capitalised on for some nasty pressure to your target.
    Edited by Exalted_Goose on December 5, 2019 1:49PM
    "One fine day in the middle of the night. Two dead Kings got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their bows... and stabbed themselves...".
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow thanks, this was very informative. oh and what do u mean our class abilities synergize well with ultimates such as onsalught, could u expand on that more pls?

No worries at all. And what I meant by that statement was that Onslaught benefits Stamplar's offensive toolkit as a potent utility, as well as a pure-damage Ultimate. Due to the massive penetration buff that Onslaught can grant, inevitably your spammable, (Jabs, or otherwise), will do substantially more damage if you aren't overpenetrating too badly. The final tick of PotL is totally dependant on how much damage you're able to dish out, therefore PotL --> Onslaught --> Spammable/Onslaught --> PotL --> Spammable, (for maximum spammable damage, where no potential damage is lost due to the Onslaught GCD), is lethal.

In short, Onslaught is a massive utility buff for ramping up your PotL damage even more. I'm still trying to iron out the "best" way of implementing Onslaught into an offensive combo that works for me, so the aforementioned might not be ideal to follow, but it'll hopefully give you an idea of what I mean. Moreover, the damage from the Ultimate itself, added to the additional damage to Jabs, can also be capitalised on for some nasty pressure to your target.

do u still use a maul even when using onsalught?
    at a place nobody knows
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's what I run in PvP on my Templar: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=160575 It still works since you can cast PotL multiple times to fully buff Ravager. For PvE I don't bother to link the gear because it's the same regardless of class though I would recommend a particular set that works well on the class: War Machine from HoF, easy to proc because you have Empowering Sweep (72 ULT) which you can cast every 2nd rotation or thereabouts.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |