The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MDK

MajBludd
MajBludd
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Made a Mdk recently, still a lowbie, lvl 18, but I'm struggling with how to heal as I generally play stam over mag.

Do I need to slot resto for heals or is there a way to get decent healing from DK skills?
I've used burning embers, but for me, it seems to not be very effective.

Any advice would be much appreciated, gear, skills, etc.

Than you.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Experienced mDKs get a lot of mileage out of burning embers, but I’d definitely recommend rapid regen if you go destro/resto.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    embers, cauterize, coagulating blood are your class based self heals. But what you truly lack as a mDK is a class based HoT, if you're double staff mDK definitely try rapid regen.
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At lvl 18 you won't have much self healing. No class except wardens and templar have that. But burning embers is your most important heal, cauterize is your second, flame lash your third and coagulating blood is your emergency heal.

I personally don't understand why magdks run resto, we have 4 strong heals at our disposal and don't need a resto staff. If its going to be for PvP I would recommend shield back bar or the very uncommon frost staff (which I use the most)
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Freakin_Hytte yeah I wanted to avoid running resto. Yes for pvp and I'm currently using s&b and destro.

I think the heals, how the work, aren't clicking with me as I'm so used to hots with stam builds.

Thank you for all of the replies.
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like they pretty much covered it. There are a couple things to consider at later levels that weren't mentioned. Draw Essence is a very good heal and dont forget Cinder Storm. Both are very good for congested areas. I personally run Destro/Resto as MagDK is pretty tanky.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say what to use at low levels. Mine power leveled in nMA over a day from 10 to 50 so I hardly remember what I used. Flame Lash is a good heal and you unlock it straight away but can only proc if the enemy is off-balanced and has a cooldown. Burning Embers is by far the best one. If you can't wait to heal you can refresh it early. Coagulating Blood unlocks later, and the heal mostly scales on HP, so it's not a good choice for a magicka build outside of PvP. Later you unlock Deep Breath and possibly Cauterize, though I prefer the other morph. Battle Roar passive under Earthen heart also heals you for up to 11.5K when you cast an ultimate, and Fragmented Shield skill amps all your healing (Major Mending). So DK has quite a few healing skills.
    Edited by Asardes on December 2, 2019 3:33PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MajBludd wrote: »
    @Freakin_Hytte yeah I wanted to avoid running resto. Yes for pvp and I'm currently using s&b and destro.

I think the heals, how the work, aren't clicking with me as I'm so used to hots with stam builds.

Thank you for all of the replies.

It's just a matter of getting used to them, once you get into them and learn how and when to use them you'll do just fine!
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Asardes not waiting is exactly what im doing with burning embers. I'm spamming it like its venomous and never getting the heal.

Thank you again for the replies.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Asardes not waiting is exactly what im doing with burning embers. I'm spamming it like its venomous and never getting the heal.

Thank you again for the replies.

Wait for a few seconds. The skill lasts for 14s, so you don't need to wait that much. You can refresh it after 7-8s and get half the heal if you need it. The issue is that they changed how DoTs work a few patches ago, meaning that they only deal damage one second after they start. If you literally spam it you get no heal out of it. https://eso-skillbook.com/skill/burning-embers On magicka characters you don't need healing that much since you have Harness Magicka, so for example you can cast that shield and refresh it once right after Burning Embers/
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stridig wrote: »
    Looks like they pretty much covered it. There are a couple things to consider at later levels that weren't mentioned. Draw Essence is a very good heal and dont forget Cinder Storm. Both are very good for congested areas. I personally run Destro/Resto as MagDK is pretty tanky.

I believe both morphs of inhale are amazing abilities for outnumbered combat, I'd kill for a stamina morph honestly.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn i was getting excited for a second...

jLDJqDV7_400x400.png

btw, its normal to feel the pressure at lv18.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At lvl 18 you won't have much self healing. No class except wardens and templar have that. But burning embers is your most important heal, cauterize is your second, flame lash your third and coagulating blood is your emergency heal.

I personally don't understand why magdks run resto, we have 4 strong heals at our disposal and don't need a resto staff. If its going to be for PvP I would recommend shield back bar or the very uncommon frost staff (which I use the most)

No HoT. Rapids is the best HoT on demand you can get
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

I agree for PvP, but for PvE you really don't need that much healing, since it isn't halved by Battle Spirit. I've soloed most WBs in the game on my Mag DK healing simply off Embers and Whip and shielding heavily.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for the info. @Stridig ive seen you a few times in cp vet as well as Kaman and a few other good people from back in the BWB days.
    Always good to see old faces about, regardless of faction. Thank you for the info, as well.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

I agree for PvP, but for PvE you really don't need that much healing, since it isn't halved by Battle Spirit. I've soloed most WBs in the game on my Mag DK healing simply off Embers and Whip and shielding heavily.

Oh, of course, on PvE you don't need a resto staff unless your magicka regen is toooooo low (or you are trying to play differently)

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh, of course, on PvE you don't need a resto staff unless your magicka regen is toooooo low (or you are trying to play differently)

For solo I play Lightning Staff front bar, Inferno back bar. I can sustain just fine even with base recovery ~700 because I weave heavy attacks with the front bar DoTs until Unstable Wall explodes. They are easy to weave, melt trash and do quite a bit of damage since I buff myself with Molten Armaments. I breezed trough vMA with this build, and beat almost every world boss. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=71272

Something like his can be done with crafted gear for lowbies instead of what sets I have here. Ex Julianos/Torug's/New Moon or any other set with magicka bonuses.
    Edited by Asardes on December 3, 2019 10:00PM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the info. @Stridig ive seen you a few times in cp vet as well as Kaman and a few other good people from back in the BWB days.
    Always good to see old faces about, regardless of faction. Thank you for the info, as well.

If you message me in game I'll share my sub 50 and CP builds with you. I mained MagDK for a few years before switching to Stamplar. That being said, I have been playing MagDK again and let me tell you.... Its like a wrecking ball.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For solo I play Lightning Staff front bar, Inferno back bar. I can sustain just fine even with base recovery ~700 because I weave heavy attacks with the front bar DoTs until Unstable Wall explodes. They are easy to weave, melt trash and do quite a bit of damage since I buff myself with Molten Armaments. I breezed trough vMA with this build, and beat almost every world boss. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=71272

Something like his can be done with crafted gear for lowbies instead of what sets I have here. Ex Julianos/Torug's/New Moon or any other set with magicka bonuses.

We should create a poor's man builds thread using:

1- Base overland sets
    2- crafted sets
    3- Monsters (optional)

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road