The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Theory Craft Challenge: Build for Carpal Tunnel DPS

Kesstryl
Kesstryl
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I have shied away from my DPS characters because I cannot keep up with the fast pace of button mashing and animation cancelling due to Carpal tunnel syndrome. I've pretty much been playing my tanks and healers in groups only, and my DPS toons are crafting alts. I'm not asking for meta advice to run vet HM or score runs, those things never interested me, but with all the sets and skills out there, and those who like theorycrafting in general, could someone give my stam and mag dps some viable options that might help people like me to get decent enough damage to do normal dungeons and trials and maybe vet base game stuff also? There has to be something someone hasn't thought of before that relies less on animation cancelling and fast button mashing, and more on combos and gear procs.
HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get the bets dps weaving LA is needed which is a very precise action. You seem aware you’ll need to drop that. AC in PvE is mostly just bar swaps when needed for which you might be a little slow.

Beyond that it’s any build you like at a pace you can handle. If a little slow I’d suggest removing a filler attack so you are replacing any DoTs as they end.
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the syndrome, hope it's not too bad for you.

Have you tried a heavy attack pet sorcerer? It's a pretty easy and relaxed way to deal decent DPS, and some people take it to the extent to just use one bar with skills.

There's probably a lot of good guides if you Google it, but in a nutshell the build is using lightning staff and heavy attack a lot, while some DOTs and your pets do some passive damage. Maybe it can work out for you?
    Edited by Vildebill on November 30, 2019 5:46PM
    EU PC
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also have Carpal's. The first thing for me was to switch to a controller. I use the xbox 360 controller. My main is a magplar. She wears 5 pc. Julianos, 5 pc. War Maidens, and 2 pc. Valkyn Skoria's monster set. Her skill setup is:

Front bar - Blazing Spears, Blockade, Puncturing Sweeps, Breathe of Life, and Jesus Beam

Back bar - Blazing Spears, Dark Flare, Purge, Breathe of Life, and Jesus Beam

Both bars are lightning staff. For overland mobs, delves, public dungeons (the easier stuff) I use front bar only. For world bosses, normal and vet dungeons, and other harder stuff I weapon swap as needed.

I can solo most basegame normal dungeons and many world bosses.

Aside from the Carpal's, I am old and my reflexes aren't the greatest. Therefore, I don't animation cancel and do limited bar swapping.

A lot of people will probably laugh at my setup but it works for me with my limitations.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any heavy attack pet sorc build will probably be the best solution. You just need to hold down heavy attack button and queue up skills by pressing a button every second or so to be effective with it. This can also be done on stam DK but it will be less efficent.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that a dual pet heavy attack magsorc might be worth considering. A somewhat similar question provides some answers that talk a bit more about petsorcs in this thread - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/503658/which-class-can-do-the-most-solo-with-the-least-number-of-active-skills-impaired-gamer#latest
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/TltS1PUapZM

The original creator of the one bar pet sorc....
    Edited by Kel on November 30, 2019 7:35PM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I'd strongly recommend using a heavy attack petsorc build.

Use the Undaunted Unweaver (body pieces) and Undaunted Infiltrator (jewelry + weapon) sets, they are easy to farm and you will get MASSIVE heavy attack damage with both buffs active.

For monster set, use whatever offensive set you like and/or have on hand.
    When soloing most content I use Infernal Guardian, it lets me still keep dealing some damage even when I have to play defensively. Also it helps in dealing with the adds in certain fights.

The Undaunted Infiltrator lightning staff can require a lot of farming because of its low drop rate; if needed then substitute another UI weapon(s) so you get the 5pc bonus on backbar. (I got a lot of UI resto staves, but no lightning staff yet...)

On frontbar, use a vMA lightning staff if you have it (for even more heavy attack damage boost), if you don't have it then you can use a crafted Assassin's lightning staff for the extra spell crit bonus.

For pets use the scamp + Tormentor.
    Use Dark Exchange Dark Conversion for a strong burst heal when needed, and to proc the Undaunted Unweaver 5pc bonus.

Remember to keep up Unstable Wall (recast right after it explodes) for maximum Off Balance procs - that gives you a huge damage boost to your heavy attacks, even if not using the vMA staff.
    Edited by Major_Lag on December 1, 2019 7:04AM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One hand carpal or two? You don't have to use mouse buttons to weave; you can do it with keyboard binds.

If you go with heavy attack sorc builds, consider adding a foot pedal for your right mouse click. Step on pedal, look ma, no hands.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    These are all really cool, I really appreciate the community not looking down on me for asking, and it seems like Sorc is best for what I need. Unfortunately one of my sorcs is a tank, LOL, had to make a Thor inspired toon, and the other is a 2H Stamsorc from before the year of nerfs. Can something like this be done with a Stamwarden, Magplar, or Stamblade, or should I consider investing in opening another charslot?
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    Can something like this be done with a Stamwarden, Magplar, or Stamblade, or should I consider investing in opening another charslot?
    The basic premise of a lightning staff heavy attack build works reasonably well on any class.
    However, Sorc is best suited to that - because of the 2 class pets, which represent a "free" source of "AFK" damage; and also because of the Sorc class passives which increase shock damage output.

Magplar can do quite well while only using 1 ability (sweeps), but you will probably have trouble in harder/solo content without some HoTs ticking on you, and even with only sweeps spam there's still a bunch of button mashing involved.

You would probably be best off by reusing one of your existing Sorcs - just do a full respec. Even if you don't have any magicka abilities levelled on your stamsorc, you will only be actively using, what, 1 or 2 of them?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Major_Lag in recommending you consider respec'ing one or your sorcs to magsorc. Much easier than starting a new character. I converted a stamsorc to a magsorc quite some time ago and it went pretty smoothly.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why isn't anyone recommending Heavy atk DK? They can get + 50% heavy attack damage via Molten Armaments.

Heavy attack Sorc is probably the most popular option because the pets can do some passive damage for you, but DK's could be nice if you're looking for a melee option. They have 2 14 second dots, 1 15s dot via Flames of Oblivion giving Major Prophecy for Crit , Molten Armaments lasts 36s and gives Major Sorcery for Spell DMG. Between those 2 abilities you won't need to spam pots every 45s unless you needed sustain, but it's a heavy attack build so you won't. You could also spec in to Ele Blockade over Unstable Wall of Elements for 14s aoe dot over 10s. Lastly, Eruption lasts 18s which lines up with Barbed Trap for 18s.

Fill out the remaining spaces with Inner Light for a boost to passive damage or Molten Whip, add some universal dots. Since your a heavy attack build your sustain will be amazing, go with Dunmer or High Elf and max hp/max mag food. All damage enchantments. Dunmer might be best so you can switch between Mag or Stam, Stam DK won't have Wall of Elements or Eruption, but you can replace them for Endless Hail 14s and Anti Calvary Caltrops 15s if you want addtional aoe dmg on a similar timer, huge radius. Heavy attacking will be a lot more snappy with DW. 2H will be quicker than Fire Destro Staff with a small buff every time you heavy attack via the 2H passives.

Rotation will be easy, heavy attacking is easy, literally hold the button down and press your skills every 1.5s or so. The heavy attack will wind up until the "instant" damage portion of the animation than automatically switch to whatever skill you queued. Refresh any dots, you could cast 5 of the suggested skills in an easy 15s rotation. Molten Armaments every other rotation, remaining dots are usually 10s.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on December 2, 2019 2:58AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »

Use the Undaunted Unweaver (body pieces) and Undaunted Infiltrator (jewelry + weapon) sets, they are easy to farm and you will get MASSIVE heavy attack damage with both buffs active.

When soloing most content I use Infernal Guardian, it lets me still keep dealing some damage even when I have to play defensively. Also it helps in dealing with the adds in certain fights.

The Undaunted Infiltrator lightning staff can require a lot of farming because of its low drop rate; if needed then substitute another UI weapon(s) so you get the 5pc bonus on backbar. (I got a lot of UI resto staves, but no lightning staff yet...)

On frontbar, use a vMA lightning staff if you have it (for even more heavy attack damage boost), if you don't have it then you can use a crafted Assassin's lightning staff for the extra spell crit bonus.

Use Dark Exchange Dark Conversion for a strong burst heal when needed, and to proc the Undaunted Unweaver 5pc bonus.

Remember to keep up Unstable Wall (recast right after it explodes) for maximum Off Balance procs - that gives you a huge damage boost to your heavy attacks, even if not using the vMA staff.

Why recommend those 2 sets, he could just use any meta set and have a much easier time farming or buying them. They also provide much more relevant stats.

I recommend watching Asian's breakdown:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgWdQA1MDTM&t=1265s

TLDR: They provide flat bonuses and stats that you don't need. You get more potential damage out of sets like Mothers Sorrow and False God that scale much better and are easier to farm, sustain is better and you don't need to rely on Heavy Attacks for all your damage, they buf all abilities.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why isn't anyone recommending Heavy atk DK? They can get + 50% heavy attack damage via Molten Armaments.
    IIRC the bonus is bugged, and only applies to the last tick of the HA channel.
    No idea if it's been fixed yet; it's been about 3 months since I last tested it.

Besides, on a DK you don't get any class pets, so nothing to keep enemy aggro off of you and/or provide any extra AFK damage.
    Why recommend those 2 sets, he could just use any meta set and have a much easier time farming or buying them. They also provide much more relevant totally irrelevant stats.
    There, fixed that for you.

If the OP intends on heavy attacking as much as possible - which I presume to be the case, given their condition - then there are only 3 5-piece sets worth considering at all:
    • Undaunted Infiltrator
    • Undaunted Unweaver
    • Infallible Aether (aka Infallible Mage)
    The 3rd one is technically slightly superior, but less accessible since it's a trials set. The first 2 are dungeon sets, from easy basegame dungeons.

I would not be recommending the dungeon sets if there were any viable crafted or overland alternatives.
    Alas, there are none, not for a pure HA build at least.
    If you don't believe me - go on the PTS, and see if you can get comparable HA damage output by using any combination of craftable and/or overland sets. I won't be holding my breath.

In the absence of the abovementioned 3 sets, staff heavy attack damage scales very poorly with spell damage, and only weakly with max magicka.
    These flat set buffs FAR outmatch any scaling possible, even with highest stat stacking builds.

Inb4 "but Queen's Elegance": it's been tested extensively, and it's utter crap compared to the sets I listed - at least in terms of overall HA damage.

Of course there are other alternative builds that work well without using any of those 3 sets - but those builds get most of their damage output from casting abilities while relying on HAs primarily for sustain.

This is the same reason why I recommended against using magplar in the other thread: sure, on magplar you can easily push 15k DPS by just spamming sweeps... but someone with carpal tunnel can NOT put up with spamming 1 button every GCD, it's just not happening.

The rotation with the build I suggested is braindead easy and requires an absolute minimum of button clicks:
    Hurricane, Unstable Wall, heavy attack x4 (hold down button for 8s), repeat
    In more demanding content (bosses, large trashmob packs) throw in Crit Surge at the start as well, for the selfheal. You can also activate the scamp to AoE and stun the trashmobs when needed.

BTW, @MarshmalloMan: if you want to know why it's optimal for shock staff HA builds to use 2 of the 3 sets I listed, you should research Xynode's "Easy Sorc" build - how and why it works, and why it uses a combination of UI and IA sets despite the resulting "bad" stats on paper.
    Edited by Major_Lag on December 2, 2019 4:48AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why recommend those 2 sets, he could just use any meta set and have a much easier time farming or buying them. They also provide much more relevant stats.

I recommend watching Asian's breakdown:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sgWdQA1MDTM&t=1265s

TLDR: They provide flat bonuses and stats that you don't need. You get more potential damage out of sets like Mothers Sorrow and False God that scale much better and are easier to farm, sustain is better and you don't need to rely on Heavy Attacks for all your damage, they buf all abilities.

Actually, if you are going to use 3 heavy attacks in rotation or more, UI might bring more than ms. As much as i hate the set, on lightning staff where it procs 4 times every heavy attack (totally a bug) if your rotation is mainly lightning heavy attacks, it buffs you quite a bit.
    IIRC the bonus is bugged, and only applies to the last tick of the HA channel.
    No idea if it's been fixed yet; it's been about 3 months since I last tested it.

Besides, on a DK you don't get any class pets, so nothing to keep enemy aggro off of you and/or provide any extra AFK damage.
    Why recommend those 2 sets, he could just use any meta set and have a much easier time farming or buying them. They also provide much more relevant totally irrelevant stats.

If the OP intends on heavy attacking as much as possible - which I presume to be the case, given their condition - then there are only 3 5-piece sets worth considering at all:
    • Undaunted Infiltrator
    • Undaunted Unweaver
    The 3rd one is technically slightly superior, but less accessible since it's a trials set. The first 2 are dungeon sets, from easy basegame dungeons.

I would not be recommending the dungeon sets if there were any viable crafted or overland alternatives.
    Alas, there are none, not for a pure HA build at least.
    If you don't believe me - go on the PTS, and see if you can get comparable HA damage output by using any combination of craftable and/or overland sets. I won't be holding my breath.

In the absence of the abovementioned 3 sets, staff heavy attack damage scales very poorly with spell damage, and only weakly with max magicka.
    These flat set buffs FAR outmatch any scaling possible, even with highest stat stacking builds.

Inb4 "but Queen's Elegance": it's been tested extensively, and it's utter crap compared to the sets I listed - at least in terms of overall HA damage.

Of course there are other alternative builds that work well without using any of those 3 sets - but those builds get most of their damage output from casting abilities while relying on HAs primarily for sustain.

This is the same reason why I recommended against using magplar in the other thread: sure, on magplar you can easily push 15k DPS by just spamming sweeps... but someone with carpal tunnel can NOT put up with spamming 1 button every GCD, it's just not happening.

The rotation with the build I suggested is braindead easy and requires an absolute minimum of button clicks:
    Hurricane, Unstable Wall, heavy attack x4 (hold down button for 8s), repeat
    In more demanding content (bosses, large trashmob packs) throw in Crit Surge at the start as well, for the selfheal. You can also activate the scamp to AoE and stun the trashmobs when needed.

BTW, @MarshmalloMan: if you want to know why it's optimal for shock staff HA builds to use 2 of the 3 sets I listed, you should research Xynode's "Easy Sorc" build - how and why it works, and why it uses a combination of UI and IA sets despite the resulting "bad" stats on paper.

1. Dk heavy attack build can be easily done with a fire staff, and then it gets the whole bonus. Lightning staff heavy attacks outperform fire heavy only when you have vMA staff or sets like the ones you listed. (I do admit though that lightning staff just feels more satisfying).
    2. Pets agro no more (in dungeons+trials)
    3. Heavy attack x4 will not take 8 seconds with lightning attack, but more towards the 10/11
    4. I would recommend slotting 4 dots and weave your heavy attacks (skill after every heavy) something like
    Boundless storm -> wall of elemenals -> bar swap -> heavy attack into hunting curse -> heavy attack into degeneration -> heavy attack into fire rune --> heavy attack into scump -> bar swap -> repeat
    Ending in something like : 1 2 swap longpress with slow 1 2 3 4 (every 2.5 sec~ cast when heavy is about to end) bar swap repeat

Edited by zvavi on December 2, 2019 5:21AM
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, let's address some of the misinformation here.

• Undaunted Infiltrator
    • Undaunted Unweaver

Totally incorrect. The mathematics and test parses lie on the side of using sets like Mother's Sorrow than UI. Even if the largest contributor to your DPS are Heavy Attacks, the majority of your damage will be coming from other abilities. At most, Heavy Attacks will do between 10 to 20 percent of your total DPS. That leaves the other 80 to 90 percent of your damage being unaffected by the 5-piece bonuses of those sets. Even on a Heavy Attack Sorcerer, you'll likely be activating a few skills, such as Volatile Familiar, Haunting Curse, and Unstable Wall. UI and IA's 5-piece do not boost those other sources of damage.

Even on a 1-bar petsorc, you'll have another 5 to 7 other abilities that are dealing damage outside of your Heavy Attacks. Your Heavy Attacks are a single source of damage, which cannot possibly make up a majority or even a plurality of your total DPS contribution.

This is a very common mistake I see with newer players. They hyper-focus on improving one ability instead of focusing on improving all abilities. Especially in a meta that favors high crit modifiers, increasing crit chance and crit damage will give you the best "bang for your buck" across the board, since crit modifier affects almost all sources of damage.

Again, this is supported by parses done by end-game players as well as by the theoretical math performed by those same players.

Incorrect. Heavy and Light Attacks scale almost identically to SD and Max Magicka as any other ability. That is, they obey the (almost) universal ratio of 10.5 Max Magicka to 1 Effective Spell Damage.

Heavy Attack coefficients:
    $1 = 0.0239616 Magicka + 0.25186 SD - 0.541552
    $2 = 0.0400001 Magicka + 0.419522 SD - 0.321061

Light Attack coefficients:
    $1 = 0.0450534 Magicka + 0.471911 SD - 0.674277

Force Pulse coefficients:
    $1 = 0.0309701 Magicka + 0.324904 SD - 0.451448

Unstable Wall of Elements coefficients:
    $1 = 0.0139743 Magicka + 0.14746 SD + 0.569696
    $2 = 0.0798816 Magicka + 0.840011 SD + 0.470027

PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @T3hasiangod the rotation he has gave the @op consists of 2 skills and 4 heavy attacks, and will probably be used in non trial setups (no war horn) so stacking crit might not be the best option for him. While i usually agree with UI being trash, i am 90% sure that a 4 heavy attack rotation will benefit less from ms. you might be right, but please remember that when you tested it you had 2 heavy attacks in rotation, and still only 2k dps difference (which can be also blamed for different skill setup). So while i wouldnt ever run UI myself, for people with slower fingers and a 4 heavy attack rotation ui+ia might be better. While major lags was right to some extent, heavy attacks DO scale poorly from SD and magicka, after all, they are built to be sustain tools.
    Edited by zvavi on December 2, 2019 7:30AM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @T3hasiangod:
    I've actually tested this myself on the PTS. a couple weeks ago.
    A detailed breakdown of my test results can be found here.

The effective scaling of HA damage with magicka/SD becomes very weak (as noted by me earlier) when HA buffs come into play, because they are flat bonuses not affected by scaling.
    Even if the largest contributor to your DPS are Heavy Attacks, the majority of your damage will be coming from other abilities.
    [snip]

The whole idea is to minimize the amount of button presses, this automatically precludes the usual DPS button spam rotations, never mind LA weaving.
    Whether we're talking about repeatedly pressing a few buttons in sequence (ie. a DoT rotation), or 1 button (magplar sweeps spam) is irrelevant.

You will not be getting the "majority of your damage from other abilities" if you are not using other abilities in the first place. [snip].

The build idea I've provided is capable of about 10-12k sustained DPS with only 3 button presses per 10 seconds. Also it only uses 1 bar. If you think you can do better than that, be my guest.

Is this kind of DPS suitable for vet content? No.
    Is that relevant? No, because the OP specifically stated that they do not care about that type of content.
    Even on a 1-bar petsorc, you'll have another 5 to 7 other abilities that are dealing damage outside of your Heavy Attacks.
    Haha, no.
    Reread what the OP is asking about.
    What you are saying is technically correct, but completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Edit:
    zvavi wrote: »
    1. Dk heavy attack build can be easily done with a fire staff, and then it gets the whole bonus. Lightning staff heavy attacks outperform fire heavy only when you have vMA staff or sets like the ones you listed. (I do admit though that lightning staff just feels more satisfying).
    2. Pets agro no more (in dungeons+trials)
    3. Heavy attack x4 will not take 8 seconds with lightning attack, but more towards the 10/11
    4. I would recommend slotting 4 dots and weave your heavy attacks (skill after every heavy) something like
    Boundless storm -> wall of elemenals -> bar swap -> heavy attack into hunting curse -> heavy attack into degeneration -> heavy attack into fire rune --> heavy attack into scump -> bar swap -> repeat
    Ending in something like : 1 2 swap longpress with slow 1 2 3 4 (every 2.5 sec~ cast when heavy is about to end) bar swap repeat
    ad. 1: Fire staff HA is hardly viable for most solo content, because killing the trash will take forever with only single target damage.

ad. 2: 2-3 months ago, the Clannfear used to still taunt some dungeon bosses when soloing dungs. However, it was very inconsistent, even within a single dungeon it would aggro some of the bosses and not the others.
    However, the pets still do hold at least partial trash aggro, which can be helpful when dealing with large trash packs on an underwhelming build.

ad. 3: Yeah, I didn't remember the exact duration for a fully charged shock staff HA, it's something around 2.2-2.4 seconds IIRC?
    Still, that's just nitpicking, it doesn't affect the performance of the build much - even if you do shorten that last heavy into a "medium attack".
    By the time you are doing the 4th HA, one of the 10s long HA buffs will run out partway through that last HA in any case, unless you are using Infallible Aether which provides a permanent buff.

[Minor edit for bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 2, 2019 9:25PM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ad 1. I am sorry, all heavy attack builds should be UI lightning sorcs :roll eyes: you were saying mean things to fire staff and dk, i just said they can work together.
    Ad 2. i mean, our friend wants a group dps character (dont diss t3eassiangod about reading comprehension plz~)
    Ad 3. You call it nitpicking, i call it the huge difference of 5 and 6 rotations per minute. I mean, i didnt even know the buff stays for 10 seconds (was sure it is 20, oops).
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ad 1. I am sorry, all heavy attack builds should be UI lightning sorcs :roll eyes: you were saying mean things to fire staff and dk, i just said they can work together.
    "Mean things"? Lolwut? :D
    I just stated the facts: that the DK HA bonus used to be bugged and not apply properly to shock/resto staff HAs, only affecting the last tick.
    Don't know whether that's still the case, haven't tested it since the last major update.

In any case, using the sets I mentioned is not practical for a DK HA build, because a fire staff does not benefit nearly as much from those buffs as a shock staff does.
    Ad 2. i mean, our friend wants a group dps character
    No matter what you do, you will be hard pressed to do significantly more than about 10k DPS without "button mashing". Even just not doing LA weaving is already a significant DPS loss.

OP referred to content up to "basegame vet stuff".
    Most (if not all?) basegame dungeons don't have any DPS checks - as long as you can successfully play the mechanics and not die of boredom, they can be cleared even with very low group DPS, it just takes a long time because of the enemies' HP.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kesstryl

Do you play on PC or Console? If PC, PM me as I have some ideas that may help you use the keyboard and mouse more comfortably.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabs + deadly strike set
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    @Kesstryl

Do you play on PC or Console? If PC, PM me as I have some ideas that may help you use the keyboard and mouse more comfortably.

I already have my keybindings set to be minimally invasive, lol. F to toggle for autorun, saves holding down buttons for getting places, and the most important stuff near WASD because I key with my right hand and mouse with the left hand.

I'm not trying to reduce my rotation to only 3 button presses, LOL, and I do bar swap because I already tank and heal vet content, I just can't do the fast paced mashing, ani cancelling, and light attack spamming without killing my hands. I was trying to see if there was hope for my dps toons outside of that meta. I'm definitely interested in off meta builds that could work like the DK and Sorc ones already mentioned in this thread. It just sucks that dps relies more on button mashing than skillful combos, but that's a me problem.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kesstryl

I already have my keybindings set to be minimally invasive, lol. F to toggle for autorun, saves holding down buttons for getting places, and the most important stuff near WASD because I key with my right hand and mouse with the left hand.

I'm not trying to reduce my rotation to only 3 button presses, LOL, and I do bar swap because I already tank and heal vet content, I just can't do the fast paced mashing, ani cancelling, and light attack spamming without killing my hands. I was trying to see if there was hope for my dps toons outside of that meta. I'm definitely interested in off meta builds that could work like the DK and Sorc ones already mentioned in this thread. It just sucks that dps relies more on button mashing than skillful combos, but that's a me problem.

Tbh everything you say sounds like "make me a dot build", which is what i tried to do, thing is man, i dont know your limit. I dont know how hard i can push you and your fingers. I dont know if you can keep up potions, use proc skills (crystal fragments is my favorite skill in the whole world). I tried to make it as simple as possible, modifying the previous person's suggestion without dumbing it down to 1 bar 3 buttons. Honestly it can work with all classes (more or less), just pick up as many painful DoTs as you can use, use any decent mag/stam sets, heavy attack x2 in rotation for resources (maybe even x3 if you feel like your resources are dying). Try making it a 12 sec rotation. If you want a more "active rotation" put the 12 seconds dots on back bar, and the 10 seconds dots on front bar, and try to change heavy attack location in rotation for when the boss is off balance (more dmg+resources). When you feel like you are getting tired for the day remove one DoT and slow down the pace. I dont know what class will be best for it (maybe necromancer with the DoT passive?) But i believe the one that can actually build the best for it, is you pal :D
    Happy hunting <3
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kesstryl

https://youtu.be/48_2E1nHdnA

Murder of Fire....

Sets do a lot of work for you, decent stats with different food options and stat point allocations, and still can do decent damage with a heavy attack rotation or whatever rotation you're capable of.

That it's also fun as hell to play doesn't hurt either!
    Edited by Kel on December 3, 2019 12:25PM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not a lot to add since a lot of advice has already been giving but could use the new moon acolyte set. Especially on a heavy attack build and you really don't have to worry about mag recovery.

Benefits is you can craft it around any other set you have.

New Moon Acolyte
    LEVEL 50 - CP 160

Type Craftable

Set bonus
    (2 items) Adds 833 Weapon Critical, Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (3 items) Adds 129 Weapon Damage, Adds 129 Spell Damage
    (4 items) Adds 1487 Physical Penetration, Adds 1487 Spell Penetration
    (5 items) Adds 481 Weapon Damage and Spell Damage. Increases the cost of your active abilities by 5%.

No idea how it does compared to Undaunted Infiltrator, Undaunted Unweaver or Infallible Aether (aka Infallible Mage).

edit spelling
    Edited by Hotdog_23 on December 3, 2019 3:28PM
  • happyhughes2001
    happyhughes2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xynode “Easy Sorc” build is really easy and fun to play. Very forgiving.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Werewolf builds can work, you mostly auto attack everything and the damage is good.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Kesstryl Any full heavy attack build will do the trick. Pet sorc or Full heavy DK. There's even a full heavy magblade build you could use (taking advantage of assa will + siph attacks + twisting path + shades). What's important to consider are the sets to be used. You will never go wrong with Mother's sorrow, since it increases the dmg of all your dmg sorces and your healing. Sets like elegance or Knightslayer seem to be good options BUT they only affect your heavy attacks and nothing else, so stay away from them (they also need a buff). Spinner is always an option to save some points on penetration and put them into the staff dmg star.

But don't feel asahmed of asking. =)
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have shied away from my DPS characters because I cannot keep up with the fast pace of button mashing and animation cancelling due to Carpal tunnel syndrome. I've pretty much been playing my tanks and healers in groups only, and my DPS toons are crafting alts. I'm not asking for meta advice to run vet HM or score runs, those things never interested me, but with all the sets and skills out there, and those who like theorycrafting in general, could someone give my stam and mag dps some viable options that might help people like me to get decent enough damage to do normal dungeons and trials and maybe vet base game stuff also? There has to be something someone hasn't thought of before that relies less on animation cancelling and fast button mashing, and more on combos and gear procs.

Hi, I also suffer from physically injury on my dominant side, with RSI in the wrist and elbow, and bursitis in the shoulder. In each and every game I play, I therefore seek to optimise with the minimum button/trigger use, where possible.

What I have found most comfortable is a heavy attack rotation. There are several heavy attack builds out there that have already been tried and tested. These tend to involve simply applying aoe/dots only once per rotation (sometimes every 2 rotations which is even better), with heavy attacks woven between a central "spammable" damage skill. So practically speaking this provides for minimal button mashing!

Note that some people, for some reason, find heavy attack builds to be controversial and a subject of scorn. For some reason some people think it is positive to slag off those builds and people who use them. Ignore these people.

This is a reasonably good build to get your creative juices flowing. I rarely ever copy a build completely, I adapt it to my play style and preference. I suggest you do the same.

https://xynodegaming.com/easysorc/

For this build, you may actually find some of the earlier iterations preferable, as these seemed to requires less button use, so its worth checking back on those builds, all the vids are on youtube.

There are other simple builds as well, for instance x2 pets on both bars, with minimal buff and skill use, focusing on heavy attacks.

I have tentatively theory crafted heavy attack builds of my own for stam, but these are not developed or tried/tested enough to offer any insight. I guess there are probably heavy attack stam builds/rotations available for inspiration, I am just not yet aware of them.

ps, I also have various meta builds that I use and play through the pain of more button mashing, because I enjoy ESO and it is my hobby. Clearly not good for my physical health but there you go.
    Edited by Grianasteri on December 5, 2019 11:58AM