Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Toggle skill transparency so we can see the cosmetics we paid for.

KingShocker
KingShocker
✭✭✭
I love skills like a hurricane I just hate the transparency that comes with it. you have toggles for the mount riding sacks etc. and toggles for helmets but can we get one for these obnoxious skill transparencies so we can see the gear we bought? I know other skills completely replace your character models (i.e. WW and Bgoliath) but those are ultimates that are only active for a short period. If you're using hurricane you should keep a 100% uptime in combat or lose valuable armor. The only transparency effects that make any sense in this game are cloak and just briefly when you streak, the rest is super extra. A toggle would mean players who actually like those effects would be unaffected. And players like me who wonder why even spend crowns (I mean actual money) on my sorc when I can barely see him/her in combat, can just toggle that dumb *** off.

Note: the rest of the VFX would remain unchanged. the aoe and wind swirling around would still be there just no transparency.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt Zos would consider a toggle as people need to know what skills are being used when those skills will effect them negatively. You might get their attention with a solid suggestion for changing the animation but doubt this idea will float.
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I doubt Zos would consider a toggle as people need to know what skills are being used when those skills will effect them negatively. You might get their attention with a solid suggestion for changing the animation but doubt this idea will float.

read the whole post
    1. the rest of VFX would remain the same. there's enough going on there to see the skill effects. ONLY the transparency would be turned off, I even left a note specifically stating the rest of the visuals would remain. these skills have plenty of visual cues. the transparency is pointless and doesn't make sense.
    2. a toggle only effects what you see, not others. If others struggle to see the visuals they can keep the transparency toggled on, however, the transparency makes characters harder to see for those with poor vision so that argument defeats itself.
    3. reanimating skills would be way more work than a transparency toggle but ok.
  • kingsirdrmr
    kingsirdrmr
    ✭✭✭
    Seems more trouble than it's worth just to change transparency settings for a couple of abilities. With mounts and helmets, they change your appearance all the time, in or out of combat. If they did not ship the feature with the game, it probably won't be added because it would only affect your use of those effects in combat (where you are looking at the casts/enemy/positioning, etc rather than your cosmetics) because out of combat or danger spots, you rarely have a reason to use them.
    For the Queen! | PC/NA, Cyrodiil, IC, Quests, CP 2000+[*] Tyaminal-rabi | Khajiiti Sorceress [*] Vita-rabi | Khajiiti Warden werewolf[*] Dr Good-and-Sexy | Argonian Warden[*] the Southern Mare | Redguard Necromancer[*] Sally Two-Horns | Orsimer Nightblade
  • Pwoo
    Pwoo
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with OP, I also think many visual effects in combat become unnecessary once you turn on the buff display settings or get addons that show your active effects. While I don't really care to see my character during combat, I agree some fights can get very visually messy and I wouldn't mind turning some of those effects off (more than what the current settings allow).

What I find extremely annoying is random DKs spamming Molten Weapons in towns near outfit stations (which is why I bought my own station) and obviously flying sorcerer pets that always get in the way. I would reduce all player pets into purple orbs in a heartbeat if the game let me lol. I'm sure players who struggle with low FPS would welcome more visual declutter as well.
    PC EU - @Pwooo in game - chronic crafting writ doer
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    people seem to be getting hung up on the transparency versus the VFX. I'll state again, the VFX would remain the transparency would not. many of these skills have plenty of other vfx for players to see (swilling winds or electricity around you, etc.) the transparency (i.e. seeing through the player) is not needed. Again, I'm not saying the rest of the VFX would be removed, your character just wouldn't be see-through. I don't know why everyone is struggling with this concept.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because pvpers want visual clues to what abilities other players have active.

Personally I agree with you but given the PVP crowd had a meltdown because one cosmetic costume hid your stowed shield I don't think we will see a transparency toggle anytime soon.
    Edited by Thannazzar on December 8, 2019 11:38PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    It's because pvpers want visual clues to what abilities other players have active.

Personally I agree with you but given the PVP crowd had a meltdown because one cosmetic costume hid your stowed shield I don't think we will see a transparency toggle anytime soon.

To be entirely fair, its more like the PVP crowd had a meltdown because ZOS bugged the costume out so it turned the entire player invisible. So while PVP players could probably handle a self-only toggle (since we already have an ally effects toggle and we see all enemy effects), I'm less confident of ZOS' ability to code it well :lol:
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It would turn that player entirely invisible....you understand that right? Imagine a player permacloaked who is attacking you in PVP? While invisible?
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭

it would not change how they see you AND AGAIN FOR THE 100Th TIME, it would not effect the skills vfx, just the transparency.

It would turn that player entirely invisible....you understand that right? Imagine a player permacloaked who is attacking you in PVP? While invisible?

no one would be invisible, how did you get to that conclusion?
    Edited by KingShocker on December 18, 2019 4:32AM
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    double post, disregard.
    Edited by KingShocker on December 18, 2019 4:50AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said, I doubt Zos would consider a toggle as people need to know what skills are being used when those skills will effect them negatively. Given that after 3 weeks only six players seem have felt one way or another on the subject to even post in here it seems few are concerned about our cosmetics while in combat.

Yes, I read the entire OP and pretty much an with Varanis on this subject that I am not confident in Zos' ability to code it without messing it and other things up so I would rather them avoid things that have a low impact on combat.
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, I doubt Zos would consider a toggle as people need to know what skills are being used when those skills will effect them negatively. Given that after 3 weeks only six players seem have felt one way or another on the subject to even post in here it seems few are concerned about our cosmetics while in combat.

Yes, I read the entire OP and pretty much an with Varanis on this subject that I am not confident in Zos' ability to code it without messing it and other things up so I would rather them avoid things that have a low impact on combat.

and as i said, it would only affect what you see. other players who don't have the transparency toggled would not be affected. Could Zos pull it off without *** something up? well I would like to have faith in them but that is an excellent point.

well, it is a crown store forum post so I wasn't expecting much from others, especially since so many (inculding you, again) struggle to understand the concept behind a transparency toggle. I was mostly hoping some devs may read over it and give it some thought.

If you're just gonna keep tearing me down without adding anything constructive, then go harass other posts.
  • Craziux
    Craziux
    ✭✭✭
    This and the possibility to hide armor slots in the outfit station. (for example hide shoulders, belt etc in addition to helmet)
    [Outfits] Hide More Armor Slots?
    Cast your vote and make it happen!

,<* 1200+ CP EU/PC *>,
    ,<* Explorer of Tamriel since Beta *>,
    Hours spent in-game: 7500+ #NoLife
    AD:
    Valp - Sorc DD
    Valp Stud - DK Tank
    Bad Argonian - Temp Heal

DC:
    Shu-Chi - PvP Warden

EP:
    Craziux - PvP NB
  • DreamsUnderStars
    DreamsUnderStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then have the toggle turn off in BGs/duels. There is no open-world pvp or pvp-severs... so toggles aren't that big of an issue.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it would not change how they see you AND AGAIN FOR THE 100Th TIME, it would not effect the skills vfx, just the transparency.

no one would be invisible, how did you get to that conclusion?

But the transparency is part of the VFX of the skill.

In combat, it is far easier to pick out the player with the slight transparency than it is to see the ring of damage in a crowd. So, changing this to be non transparent will effectively hide the skill from other players, which is why it shouldn't happen.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the VFX of that skill but hate those that have bones or rocks or whatever sprouting out of your back (although that DK ability can look cool on Argonians), among others — all the more reason some options would be nice as what one person thinks is cool, another finds cheesy or ugly. However, many skills would need some sort of indication for coordinating with or countering other players. 🤔

More than that, I would like to be able to toggle off armor effects. Not all armors have these and there is no reason why some armies should have to. I refuse to wear floaty orb armor on any regular basis. :unamused: