The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Shifting Standard is a wasted opportunity

Somewhere
Somewhere
✭✭✭✭
As per title, let me explain. There's so many different play styles in the game, I can think of at least 6 of the top of my head (magdd, stamdd, heal, tank, pvp, solo) and that's not even comprehensive. One would hope that every skill and morph in the game, while not optimal in every play style, is at least optimal in several different scenarios.

My problem with Shifting Standard is it's really not good at what it sets out to do. Both morphs of DK Standard deal damage, just one is stationary and deals more damage, while the other lasts longer, can move, and is a little bit cheaper (225). A damage dealer is almost always going to go with Standard of Might. If you're looking for an ultimate that deals a lot of damage then obviously the morph that deals more damage is more optimal.

As far as I can see you would want Shifting Standard for the following reasons:
  • To make sure enemies take the full damage of your attack in the event of a mobile boss fight
  • For use in pvp, to make sure enemies cannot move out of its range, maybe as area denial

I take issue with the first point since there's rarely a time you can't get a boss to stand still long enough to get all 20 seconds of Standard of Might, and if you somehow can't, there's always Elemental Rage: an ultimate you can swap onto your bar on the fly when there's no shrine around (almost all the time if you're in a dungeon). The second point is also moot: enemies can still move out of it, and you're stuck spamming a GCD to get it to work. On the other hand Eye of the Storm moves with you, making it harder to escape from.

I am not saying that the skill doesn't have its uses, I just don't think what it does really justifies being a morph. Not when there's other play styles that don't have even have a class ultimate to effectively do their job (healers).

Personally I would rather see the following:
  • Shifting Mechanic collapsed to the base skill. This isn't entirely necessary but I think it's worth while so that way people using it as don't lose out on anything. As a result both morphs shift. A player wanting to use shifting standard can now use standard if might for the same functionality as before, but with the added 15% damage increase and reduction.
  • Major Defile removed from base skill, readded in Standard of Might, so it's not actually lost.
  • Shifting Standard redone as a healing ultimate named Rallying Standard, granting a HOT while inside its radius, and also providing several useful combat oriented buffs. These buffs should be good, but should not outdo something like Warhorn. In my head I see it as perhaps Minor Courage and Minor Heroism while inside the radius as it seems thematic. The synergy should be switched to provide more of an ally boon, instead of holding enemies in place. The buffs would persist after leaving the radius for only a short time (about 3 seconds, 5 maximum). I don't envision this kind of skill being better than Warhorn in terns of raw party DPS, indeed it cannot be: otherwise every tank and healer would have to be a DK with ulti gen to increase overall party DPS in a trial. Essentially the morph choice should self focused: SoM offers 15% additional damage and reduces incoming damage by 15% for just you, or offers a plethora of buffs for the rest of your party.

tl;dr: Every other ultimate in the DK arsenal supports either damage dealing or tanking quite well, but there's nothing to really help out a healer, and it shows: no one plays DK Healer. Shifting Standard is a morph just taking up space, when there's other play styles that could take advantage of it. No one is really using it as far as I can tell, and while I think the Shifting mechanic is fun, it simply doesn't justify an entire morph. Not when both morphs of DK Standard effectively do the same thing, and one does it better. Just turn it into a healing / buffing ultimate and be done.

Although maybe I am wrong, maybe Shifting Standard is better than I think and I am just not using it right.
Edited by Somewhere on November 26, 2019 8:46PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shifting Standard is great. It's the only ultimate in game that can be recast repeatedly. It does damage and defiles. And each time it's dropped it can be synergized again having both an aoe CC and significant damage. Think about that when combined with harmony jewelry. B) Like Nova, it's an ultimate that shines with teamwork.

In your suggestion, it sounds like Standard of Might just becomes Shifting?
    Options
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stamdk would like a poison version
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Shifting Standard is great. It's the only ultimate in game that can be recast repeatedly. It does damage and defiles. And each time it's dropped it can be synergized again having both an aoe CC and significant damage. Think about that when combined with harmony jewelry. B) Like Nova, it's an ultimate that shines with teamwork.

In your suggestion, it sounds like Standard of Might just becomes Shifting?

Yes that would correct. Both morphs would have the shifting mechanism, but the current Shifting Standard would become a healer's tool instead.
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems easier to just change Standard of Might directly. As long as we don't lose a solid useful ult I don't care what they call it.

I don't think people use SoM much. Banana has a point, a poison version would be nice for stam DKs, and it is in the damage tree.

I could totally see Magma Shell turned into much better healer ult. For that ult, stamDKs have something they use but Magma Shell is underwhelming.

(Consuming Darkness also need a buff, but that's a different class.)
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems easier to just change Standard of Might directly. As long as we don't lose a solid useful ult I don't care what they call it.

I don't think people use SoM much. Banana has a point, a poison version would be nice for stam DKs, and it is in the damage tree.

I could totally see Magma Shell turned into much better healer ult. For that ult, stamDKs have something they use but Magma Shell is underwhelming.

Yes, but as you see their point is not about a lost opportunity but to create a healing ultimate for the DK. The issue I have is if Zos did create a healing ultimate for the DK I do not see them being such strong healers. Heck, they already have a solid shield they can provide the group.
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Yes, but as you see their point is not about a lost opportunity but to create a healing ultimate for the DK. The issue I have is if Zos did create a healing ultimate for the DK I do not see them being such strong healers. Heck, they already have a solid shield they can provide the group.

Well isn't that a symptom? They're not very good healers because their toolkit isn't very good, but this would be one step to updating that toolkit. I know one of the areas the devs wanted to focus on was healers for all the different classes, because realistically, only 2 are all that great at it.
    Edited by Somewhere on November 26, 2019 5:00AM
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree the OP has a good point. A solid group healing ult for the class would improve DK healers and there are underused morphs that could be repurposed.
    Options
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have instead a Standard that increases team's damage that stands in the radius for tradeoff of like less dot damage. No matter how much healing DK would have on the ult it still won't be used because Warhorn and Barrier is a much better option. Even Wardens in dungeons rarely use their forests.

DK has already very good healing output, they only lack unique synergy that could be used outside trash pulls (Ignite on talons).
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere wrote: »

Well isn't that a symptom? They're not very good healers because their toolkit isn't very good, but this would be one step to updating that toolkit. I know one of the areas the devs wanted to focus on was healers for all the different classes, because realistically, only 2 are all that great at it.

An ultimate is not going to do much to change that fate as they already have a good shield.

The classes more favored for healing have full healing lines. Sorc seems to be the only class that can hold their own at the top but they do have a solid heal in their lineup.

Zos devs (think Matt or Rich) said that while they intended all classes to be able to do all roles they do not intend to make them equal. This was when they were introducing the Warden for a time reference.
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭

An ultimate is not going to do much to change that fate as they already have a good shield.

The classes more favored for healing have full healing lines. Sorc seems to be the only class that can hold their own at the top but they do have a solid heal in their lineup.

Zos devs (think Matt or Rich) said that while they intended all classes to be able to do all roles they do not intend to make them equal. This was when they were introducing the Warden for a time reference.

That's true, but regardless that isn't really my point anyway. Whether it makes the class better at healing or not, shifting standard doesn't offer the class much more in terms of play styles than the base skill, or other morph do. I personally think a healing buffing ultimate is a good replacement as I think the idea of a Rallying Standard improving ally vigor and morale fits with the theme of a dk. Realistically, I think making it deal poison damage would provide more value to more players though. Either way the skill just looks like real estate space for a more valuable morph which would hopefully give some more identity to the class.
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make the standard movable on base and all morphs. Leave standard of might the same only add the movable portion to it. You may see it used in pvp sometimes. Probably not but at least it would be an option. Honestly with the way most of the new bosses move around in the new dlc this is something that really needs to be done. I rarely see standard of might used at all and the unmovable is the biggest reason I see for it.

I like the idea of giving a DK the option of a healing rally standard. Warhorn would still be the most useful but options are never a bad thing.

After looking at the passives they would need to be updated or the skill loaded more than say trees because no passive would apply to except extending the duration by 4 seconds. I guess they could also give it small flame damage also to enemies to help with the passives such as combustion to help the DK with resources.
    Options
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Think the Poison based flag would be the best option. Could even give it a really good spell graphic with green mist inside the flag zone.

Classes that lack a powerful Defensive ult <Major Maim/Protection etc> have one now they can use in raids. Its barrier, and its honestly plenty good. In 4 man content you can even use restro ult.
    Edited by karekiz on November 26, 2019 2:44PM
    Options
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO thanks.

I love my Shifting Standard just the way it is right now. Using it at PVP all the time when on my DK, it is always on one of my bars. It is a great skill and one i consider to be BIG part of DK class identity. Shifting Standard needs to stay mobile and it needs to keep its area Defile.

Requests like this are also what if happened would make even fewer Defile sources..

Please leave ZOS combat team doing their work without getting distracted by requests like these, they might take them seriously.

ZOS, do not touch Standard - we (i and a millionzillion friends) love the skill as it is. Thank you and official /kneelpray to make the begging official to leave this sweet skill untouched. <3:)
    Options
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Stop trying to remove Defile. Stop trying to make DK healers a thing.

The only change I would even consider making is turning Shifting Standard into a PBAoE like Permaftost.
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please note the OP isn't getting rid of Shifting in their proposal, Shifting function becomes Standard of Might, defile included.
    Options
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both morphs are fine as they are. In very mobile PvE fights, where enemies will move out of Standard and you end up chasing them simply use something else, like Ballista as ultimate - cheaper, more burst, keeps hitting the target even if it moves after cast. For PvP Shifting Standard is actually quite good, if you can use it, for example to defend capture points or wall breeches.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would appreciate a poison damage version.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's true, but regardless that isn't really my point anyway. Whether it makes the class better at healing or not, shifting standard doesn't offer the class much more in terms of play styles than the base skill, or other morph do. I personally think a healing buffing ultimate is a good replacement as I think the idea of a Rallying Standard improving ally vigor and morale fits with the theme of a dk. Realistically, I think making it deal poison damage would provide more value to more players though. Either way the skill just looks like real estate space for a more valuable morph which would hopefully give some more identity to the class.

1. You are now changing your suggestion as the thread goes along as you suggest it heal but now are suggesting it also do poison damage.
    2. Zos is moving away from a skill doing decent damage and also healing a group. So adding poison and also have it heal does not make sense.
    3. The "combat buff" it provides player should be a buff already in the game. We do not need more power creep.

It would make more sense that one morph does magicka damage and the other morph does poison to meet the needs of the two different DPS builds. That makes more sense.
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭

1. You are now changing your suggestion as the thread goes along as you suggest it heal but now are suggesting it also do poison damage.
    2. Zos is moving away from a skill doing decent damage and also healing a group. So adding poison and also have it heal does not make sense.
    3. The "combat buff" it provides player should be a buff already in the game. We do not need more power creep.

It would make more sense that one morph does magicka damage and the other morph does poison to meet the needs of the two different DPS builds. That makes more sense.

I said realistically the poison morph is most likely to happen but I would prefer the healing morph.

So let me be clear: the morph would not deal poison and heal. It'sone or the other but I do acknowledge that a poison morph is a valuable use of this as well. These isn'tany one single solution here.
    Moonsorrow wrote: »
    NO thanks.

I love my Shifting Standard just the way it is right now. Using it at PVP all the time when on my DK, it is always on one of my bars. It is a great skill and one i consider to be BIG part of DK class identity. Shifting Standard needs to stay mobile and it needs to keep its area Defile.

Requests like this are also what if happened would make even fewer Defile sources..

Please leave ZOS combat team doing their work without getting distracted by requests like these, they might take them seriously.

ZOS, do not touch Standard - we (i and a millionzillion friends) love the skill as it is. Thank you and official /kneelpray to make the begging official to leave this sweet skill untouched. <3:)

Re-read it a bit more carefully, standard of might would still defile and also shift.
    Edited by Somewhere on November 26, 2019 6:51PM
    Options
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing alts are a waste of time as long as warhorn is in the game. As has been said already. If you really want to make DK healers better, you need to get cinder storm to a decent size, 5 meters is way to small for an aoe hot. Needs to be at least 8 meters, the size of illustrious healing, that might not sound like a lot but the area of a 5 meter radius circle is ~78 square meters and the area of a of a 8 meter radius circle is ~201 square meters. That is almost 3 times the size.

then you need to figure out how to make the ward from fragmented shield worth a dam to a healer but not be over powered when used by a tank. Do those things, DK healers would be in a much better spot then if you simply made one of the ultis heal.
    Edited by OG_Kaveman on November 26, 2019 7:14PM
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    Healing alts are a waste of time as long as warhorn is in the game. As has been said already. If you really want to make DK healers better, you need to get cinder storm to a decent size, 5 meters is way to small for an aoe hot. Needs to be at least 8 meters, the size of illustrious healing. And then you need to figure out how to make the ward from fragmented shield worth a dam to a healer but not be over powered when used by a tank. Do those things, DK healers would be in a much better spot then if you simply made one of the ultis heal.

The point of my post was not to make DK healers better. It was to point out that shifting doesn't offer enough to be a morph. We could use fuse the 2 existing morphs as is to create empty space for something new.

I chose healing as it was thematic. What would a rallying standard do? Heal and buff. I see it being useful in 4 man dungeons, pvp healing, and for a group struggling in a trial. No other trial group use it because we have all collectively agreed 4 war horns is better. I did not even consider that group because honestly they're not relevant.

You're right those changes are more important if we wanted dk healers to be good. But I am only talking about shifting standard, not the entire toolkit. One skill.
    Options
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Somewhere I see. Do you see that there is plenty of people that do use that morph in this thread? I see the 2 morphs as offering something unique and powerful, one has mobile AOE defile with a powerful synergy and the other has self buffs, one is for yourself and the other for the group. Add them together and that would be too much.
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    @Somewhere I see. Do you see that there is plenty of people that do use that morph in this thread? I see the 2 morphs as offering something unique and powerful, one has mobile AOE defile with a powerful synergy and the other has self buffs, one is for yourself and the other for the group. Add them together and that would be too much.

I really don't think that's too much to be honest. We have a lot of skills in the game that do a lot, and DK has a couple of those: just both morphs of whip and stonefist for instance have a lot going on. For an ultimate that costs as much as it does, I don't think being able to move it is too much. "Recasting allows you to move it to a new position." I agree both morphs are unique, but I don't think it's necessarily that powerful, not more powerful than SoM. It's too niche imo, which is why I think more can be done with this skill at it is to open more play style opportunities.

Given that they've slowly added more to Shifting Standard over the last year, year and a half or so (decreasing its cost to 225 from 250, increasing its duration to nearly 30 seconds, and increasing the damage per tick slightly), I would argue that even ZOS believes this skill is under budgeted.
    Edited by Somewhere on November 26, 2019 7:36PM
    Options
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ideally, if I was the Game Developer behind this design, Dragonknight's Shifting Standard ultimate/morph would function similar to a real Standard Carrier / Standard Bearer and move with the player, just like Destruction Staff's Eye of the Storm ultimate/morph, where the AOE is a radius around the player and moves with the player. Or Stam-Sorcerer's Hurricane ability; again, where the player is the center of the AOE. Shifting Standard should be reworked into this design for more mobility but less damage than Standard of Might. Dragonknight's standard ultimate morph choices should be between duration/mobility and more damage/area-denial.
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know this post is solid proof that A LOT of people in forums don't even have the ability to read. I say it time and time again, people don't read posts, they read the title and jump into conclusions. OP's idea is to give SoM the shifting ability, and make something original out of the other morph, which is honestly a good one.

Considering ultimates like negate has MUCH bigger AoE and permafrost has both bigger AoE and follows you around(Its AoE major protection for allies btw), then maybe its time to give standart some love.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on November 26, 2019 8:08PM
    Options
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I said realistically the poison morph is most likely to happen but I would prefer the healing morph.

So let me be clear: the morph would not deal poison and heal. It'sone or the other but I do acknowledge that a poison morph is a valuable use of this as well. These isn'tany one single solution here.
    Moonsorrow wrote: »
    NO thanks.

Re-read it a bit more carefully, standard of might would still defile and also shift.

I did and NO, i like both of them how they are. Shifting standard has just right duration and effects. Please no changes to it.

They are balanced that way for some time now. Making changes to the SoM (having such effects) would lead it to being most likely nerfed.

So sometimes better leave things like they are, no need to fix what is not broken.. so many things lost because of doing such things already.

Class skill roulette.. i feel we had enough of such changes. People would like some skill stability now for a bit.

Not directed at you.. but please let us all just play with the skills & sets we have without the big fotm changes back and forth, up and down, due to making stuff go from "op to useless" after 3 months of nerf request cycles.

/permanentkneelpray :D
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ideally, if I was the Game Developer behind this design, Dragonknight's Shifting Standard ultimate/morph would function similar to a real Standard Carrier / Standard Bearer and move with the player, just like Destruction Staff's Eye of the Storm ultimate/morph, where the AOE is a radius around the player and moves with the player. Or Stam-Sorcerer's Hurricane ability; again, where the player is the center of the AOE. Shifting Standard should be reworked into this design for more mobility but less damage than Standard of Might. Dragonknight's standard ultimate morph choices should be between duration/mobility and more damage/area-denial.

This would remove Shifting's most powerful asset, the repeatable synergy.
    Options
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭

I have to wonder if the repeatable synergy was intentional or simply the result of how they implemented the skill.
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I have to wonder if the repeatable synergy was intentional or simply the result of how they implemented the skill.

Regardless of the intention, It gives the shifting standart some use in harmony ball groups, without that I think this ultimate would pretty much be abandoned.
    Options
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Regardless of the intention, It gives the shifting standart some use in harmony ball groups, without that I think this ultimate would pretty much be abandoned.

Pretty much this. The only other use it has outside of its Synergy is Major defile which a warden does better while giving a Major protection ult to everyone.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
    Options