The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Resources for gear improvements...

Grianasteri
Grianasteri
✭✭✭✭✭
I wonder what the best, easiest way to gain gold mats for improving gear is?

I've never really got into this side of things, usually I just buy them from guild shops... Im looking for advice on the best alternative way to gain these resources...

Obviously deconstructing gear is a given, I am aware of this method of farming... is there a better, easier method?

Ta

Best Answers

• Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daily writs on 10+ characters followed by just old school resource farming and refining.
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Yes I have heard that writs are one of the main avenues.

I hate crafting writs, so I wondered if there was any methods outside of the usual writ/decon grind.

I got most of mine from refining lots of mats with maxed refining passives. Mind you, that's still a grind since you have to farm/buy the raw mats to refine. You can get a few from a maxed hireling, but you'll also get a ton of junk.
    Answer ✓
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Yes I have heard that writs are one of the main avenues.

I hate crafting writs, so I wondered if there was any methods outside of the usual writ/decon grind.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other important item to check @Grianasteri:

Are you actually improving your own gear sets and running the types of ESO content that require gold-improved gear??

Because the difference between purple and gold on weapons and armor is minuscule. And, purple works fine in the vast majority of the game’s content.

So, unless you’re trying to make a buck by selling gold improvement mats ... or chasing PvE Leaderboards or doing PvP raids ... there’s really no reason to invest the time in gold upgrades.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on November 25, 2019 9:40PM
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other important item to check @Grianasteri:

Are you actually improving your own gear sets and running the types of ESO content that require gold-improved gear??

Because the difference between purple and gold on weapons and armor is minuscule. And, purple works fine in the vast majority of the game’s content.

So, unless you’re trying to make a buck by selling gold improvement mats ... or chasing PvE Leaderboards or doing PvP raids ... there’s really no reason to invest the time in gold upgrades.

Yes, I am improving my own gear, for the characters I am more or less happy with, I am seeking to make more of their weapons and jewellery gold.

Moving weapons and to a lesser extent jewellery, from purple to gold, can help increase dps by as much as a few thousand, depending on the build and parse execution.

At the stage of development I and my characters are at, golding some gear is a logical progression :)
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 18 characters doing maximum tier writs every day, and that's by far the most efficient method; it takes around an hour, but you can divide that time if you have less characters. Considering the drop rate for those materials from writs is around 35%, I expect to get 6 wax, 6 alloy, 6 rosin, 6 kuta every day; for chromium grains it's harder to estimate since I get double drops not that infrequently and sometimes a whole plating so I think 1-1.2 plating per day is the average. 16 also have hirelings, and I've seen 1-2 from the former category drop from those mails as well. Once a month I pick up my surveys, on average 6-8K raw materials from each category, so another 30-40 gold upgrade materials, since the drop rate is about 1 per 200 raw materials refined on average.

Making weapons gold is essential, but for armor and especially jewelry, not that much. The difference between purple and gold jewelry is minute. I usually prefer using purple jewelry on my builds until the golden vendor in Cyrodiil stocks the gold version or I get some from trials or leaderboards. I do upgrade my armor, but only if I'm absolutely sure the setup works. I never upgrade gear pieces from normal trial sets, if there is a perfected version for that set, I can farm later; the only exception is Asylum 2H where there is almost no difference in practice between normal and perfected (people never get so low on HP for you to get the 15th ultimate when you land the killing blow). Before I make a build I always calculate the stats with the build editor, and it's pretty easy to just replace purple with gold quality there and compare the stats, to see if it's worth it, or if the build is indeed effective, not to waste those materials. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    I have 18 characters doing maximum tier writs every day, and that's by far the most efficient method; it takes around an hour, but you can divide that time if you have less characters. Considering the drop rate for those materials from writs is around 35%, I expect to get 6 wax, 6 alloy, 6 rosin, 6 kuta every day; for chromium grains it's harder to estimate since I get double drops not that infrequently and sometimes a whole plating so I think 1-1.2 plating per day is the average. 16 also have hirelings, and I've seen 1-2 from the former category drop from those mails as well. Once a month I pick up my surveys, on average 6-8K raw materials from each category, so another 30-40 gold upgrade materials, since the drop rate is about 1 per 200 raw materials refined on average.

Making weapons gold is essential, but for armor and especially jewelry, not that much. The difference between purple and gold jewelry is minute. I usually prefer using purple jewelry on my builds until the golden vendor in Cyrodiil stocks the gold version or I get some from trials or leaderboards. I do upgrade my armor, but only if I'm absolutely sure the setup works. I never upgrade gear pieces from normal trial sets, if there is a perfected version for that set, I can farm later; the only exception is Asylum 2H where there is almost no difference in practice between normal and perfected (people never get so low on HP for you to get the 15th ultimate when you land the killing blow). Before I make a build I always calculate the stats with the build editor, and it's pretty easy to just replace purple with gold quality there and compare the stats, to see if it's worth it, or if the build is indeed effective, not to waste those materials. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor

I make extensive use of the build editor to theory craft my builds.

I do not have the time to dedicate to crafting writs, so as I suspected, it would seem my best and most efficient route to gold mats, is to simply buy them from guild stores. I do plenty of content that generates gold, so that is probably the best option. Writs for me are not fun, plenty other content is, so I guess thats my answer.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

I make extensive use of the build editor to theory craft my builds.

I do not have the time to dedicate to crafting writs, so as I suspected, it would seem my best and most efficient route to gold mats, is to simply buy them from guild stores. I do plenty of content that generates gold, so that is probably the best option. Writs for me are not fun, plenty other content is, so I guess thats my answer.

Well if you can make enough gold to afford getting your gear fully upgraded without any extra effort, that's really nice. Prices for upgrades have decreased steadily over the last few months. If you do pledges or a veteran trial selling the trash or undaunted plunder to NPC gets you enough gold to buy 2-3 of them. If you sell some of the newer DLC dungeon motifs you can upgrade a piece. For me writs are a warm up of sorts since I don't really pay much attention while doing them as the addon does most of the work: I sip my tea, watch documentaries on youtube, chat with my wife, cuddle the cats etc. ;)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |