The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

GPU Usage in Cyrodiil (FPS Issue)

Kikazaru
Kikazaru
✭✭✭✭✭
In Cyrodiil, I notice that there is a strange degradation in performance after playing for about an hour or so. I start to get fps dips that will gradually get worse until there comes a point where it becomes unbearable and I end up having to restart the game. Also, restarting the game temporarily alleviate the issue.

JMu4i2c.png

This is what my GPU usage looks like when starting the game or after a fresh restart of the client when traveling from keep to keep. Highlighted in blue.

The dips are unnoticeable or mild to say the least.

After 40 mins - 1 hour of fighting players, it looks like this.

Jqta8dz.png

Red Highlight indicates the zerg fighting at keeps, I notice the GPU usage goes down to the 40 - 50 range. Just normal fps drops in heavy fighting.

Blue Highlight indicates the FPS dips I have while traveling from keep to keep. Usually it goes from 80 - 100 fps down to 25 - 40 fps and the severity of it depends on the amount of players there are in a given area.

Tweaking the graphic settings and .ini files mitigate the issues a bit.

I tried with all add ons, few add ons, and no add ons. Same results.

Some add ons do affect the performance but the fps issues are different from this one.

I notice other players have similar problems to some degree.

It happens on two computers I have. With or without overclocking. (2019 and 2013 gaming rigs)

Can't be on my end, ya? Must be a problem with the game itself.

I can run any other game, including this one, on max settings, and even on 4k resolution. No other MMO -or other games for that matter- have this particular problem.

It's very annoying to deal with!

Edited by Kikazaru on November 24, 2019 4:53AM
Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Kikazaru

What are your PC specs currently on the computer experiencing the FPS drops?

You can post those details in the thread and link to a DxDiag report.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have recorded footage of what the FPS drops look like in game. FPS counter in also included.

https://youtu.be/uP2LG4ImB80

Video 1: This is how smooth the FPS is when I first start the game or restart to fix the fps drop issues.

https://youtu.be/m9IpZvPFLhg

Video 2: FPS dips start to become noticeable after 40 minutes of intensive fighting in Cyrodiil.

https://youtu.be/AI88kqbScDI

Video 3: I decided to spend 3 hours in pvp without changing the zones or closing the game. This is how bad the fps dips can get.

After restarting the game, the performance will return to normal. The issue seems to be linked to heavy fights where lots of players are involved.

ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Kikazaru

What are your PC specs currently on the computer experiencing the FPS drops?

You can post those details in the thread and link to a DxDiag report.

Edited by Kikazaru on November 25, 2019 9:44AM
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Kikazaru

Thank you for providing the videos and your DxDiag report. When looking through your PC specifications I noticed your DPI settings set to over 100. Try changing them back to 100% and see how if affects performance. Instructions on managing issues with high-DPI displays can be found here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • AMAI460
    AMAI460
    ✭✭✭
    I have the exact same problem as you. The only Thing that seems to work for me is to Delete the ShaderCache.cooked file in your live folder. When u log back in takes a bit to rebuild it but works for hours before the problem starts again.

I7770k, 32gig ram, gtx 1080ti acer 34" Predator.
  • AMAI460
    AMAI460
    ✭✭✭
    Turn off the grass, Fixed it for me. So dumb you build a High end PC and have to shut off things.
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I adjusted the DPI and didn't notice much of an impact. Except making the letters very tiny.

Yeah, I'll try those and see how that turns out.

The performance in this game can be so weird considering the fact that this computer massively exceeds the recommended requirements. I shouldn't be getting this problem. I notice the last couple of patches has made my problem worse than before.

Mizaru

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the last set of changes help?
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

I find that reducing the settings alleviates the issue somewhat, maybe it differs per computer, but the issue returns eventually and I have to restart again.

I’ve seen players in the zone chat expressing the same issues that I have. I just hope the performance road map they are working on actually fixes the problem..
    Mizaru

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kikazaru wrote: »
    idk wrote: »

I find that reducing the settings alleviates the issue somewhat, maybe it differs per computer, but the issue returns eventually and I have to restart again.

I’ve seen players in the zone chat expressing the same issues that I have. I just hope the performance road map they are working on actually fixes the problem..

If it builds up over time and restarting alleviates it then it sounds like a memory leak. afaik /reload helps with memory leaks addons contribute to but restarting the client is needed for what the game itself contributes.

Yes, hopefully the performance improvement plan helps. Zos does not specifically address a memory leak but they do have several stages of a memory management overhaul that will hopefully help with this.

Good luck to us all (and Zos with this performance plan)