The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Best way to get Jewelry Crafting platings?

dem0n1k
dem0n1k
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello crafters ... Does anyone have any tips on ways to get blue & purple jewelry crafting platings other than refining dust & decon? I have zero purple platings & drops for purple jewelry to decon are very low. I need the platings to complete writs!

I really wish they had not gone down this 10grains=1plating path... so tedious!

Any tips muchly appreciated!

Cheers.
NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do as many jewelry crafting writs on as many characters as you can tolerate. ;)
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    Hello crafters ... Does anyone have any tips on ways to get blue & purple jewelry crafting platings other than refining dust & decon? I have zero purple platings & drops for purple jewelry to decon are very low. I need the platings to complete writs!

I really wish they had not gone down this 10grains=1plating path... so tedious!

Any tips muchly appreciated!

Cheers.

Only other major source are the ones that drop from daily writs, they are weighted to drop more blue/purple/gold when you do them at max level. (But, you'll also get more master writs... lol)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You discounted two of the biggies in decon and refining. Also do writs. Daily quests can drop purple jewelry as can the daily random dungeon. In my experience jewelry was more or less designed for players to do some combination of all the available methods when acquiring grains.
  • Darkhorse1975
    Darkhorse1975
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what I do, (along with the surveys that drop). 16 seems to be my limit :#
    Master Craftsman!
  • Danouk
    Danouk
    ✭✭✭
    How did you get 16 characters? I only have nine. Is there something in crafstore that can give you more character slot?
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danouk wrote: »
    How did you get 16 characters? I only have nine. Is there something in crafstore that can give you more character slot?

You can actually have 18 characters if you buy the slots from the crown store
  • Salix_alba
    Salix_alba
    ✭✭✭✭
    you need to do jewelry Writ after writ after writ and hunt down the surveys because Auriel help us if there isn't a single mine in allll of tamriel that actually produces anything for sale, or even has enough nodes in them to even be called a mine.
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the tips & info!

I have been doing daily JC writs (oonly on one character as I haven't done JC on my other characters.).. but I only ever seem to get gold grains from the writ rewards.. & those very rarely.
    I get almost none from refining because I don't roam overland much so I never get many nodes.
    I get some from decon.. mostly from RotW jewelry drops.. but on average you need to decon around 12-15 pieces of jewelry to get enough grains for one plating. It takes me ages to get that many pieces of jewelry. I guess I could go jump on a dolmen train... but *yawn* so boring... ;)

• dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK so I finally realised that what you guys were trying to tell me is that i need to do JC writs on my non-crafter characters... yeah, I know... I'm a bit slow on the uptake :) So I am now doing the JC writs on 17 characters & getting a decent amount of green & blue grains... just need more purples! I guess I need to level up JC in some characters to get purples to drop from the writ returns?
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK so I finally realised that what you guys were trying to tell me is that i need to do JC writs on my non-crafter characters... yeah, I know... I'm a bit slow on the uptake :) So I am now doing the JC writs on 17 characters & getting a decent amount of green & blue grains... just need more purples! I guess I need to level up JC in some characters to get purples to drop from the writ returns?

Yes, the higher the level of JC writs you do, the more of the upper tier materials you will get. At maximum level, you get a guaranteed grain to drop (sometimes doubled, sometimes a full plating)

They drop approximately
    15% terne
    45% iridium
    35% zircon
    30% chromium
    at maximum level

(It's over 100% because of the double/plating drops included)
    Edited by tmbrinks on November 27, 2019 2:20PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just like other legendary upgrade materials the drop rate for chromium grains is much lower for writs that are not max tier. For example last year, while my characters were leveling I probably got less than 10 grains from tier 1 writs over a 5 months period. Jewelry crafting is one of the slowest crafting skills to level, comparable to enchanting. So if you rely on bought intricate jewelry to level it, it will be quite expensive. Those are around 500-550 gold a piece on EU-PC. I leveled mine from other character intricate drops as well as trash jewelry that dropped from content.

As of Scalebreaker patch (early August) the drop rate from writs has been buffed, and getting double drops for grains is not uncommon. Also an entire plating may drop occasionally. I don't know if this is possible for lower tiers, since my characters were already trained by the time it was introduced. The drop rate from refining is the same as for every other material, around 1 per stack (200) or raw material refined. Recovery rate from deconstructing jewelry is ~60% with all respective passives. If you can do veteran trials very fast the latter can be an option ex. vAA HM can be done in under 20 minutes with a competent group, for 2 gold jewelry pieces, netting an average of 1.2 grains per run, plus the undaunted plunder.

Compared to the cost, upgrading jewelry from epic to legendary has very little benefit. I only upgraded one piece to date, and that was mostly to get the dye from the achievement but it got quite a bit of use, until ZOS nerfed the set - Veiled Heritance.
    Edited by Asardes on November 27, 2019 2:47PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My method is to use ap to buy boxes of gear from the cyrodiil vendors and then break them down for mats 😉
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@dem0n1k Agree. Daily writs with jewelry crafting rank at level 5 (maxed) - grains are a guaranteed drop (single or double amount). Chance to get platings is lower. Fyi, I never got a single gold plating since jewelry crafting was refurbished.

I do daily writs with 8 chars in EU, 2 chars in NA atm.

I deconstruct EVERYTHING i don't need or that's not worth selling.

PS - I won't tell you how many gold platings I currently have. Your jaw would hit the floor. :D:D:D

@jadarock It's an option but every box is 20K AP... Do dolmen runs, my advise: results are about the same but it's a lot cheaper to achieve.
    Edited by redlink1979 on November 27, 2019 3:17PM
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is gold jewelry even a guaranteed drop from those boxes? If not it's a huge waste.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Asardes
    Why would it be a waste if pvp is the content i run and have millions of ap that sit in my bank for months at a time? Flipping some to stock up on jewelry mats literally cost me nothing as I have most of the gear I want from the golden already.
    In the end its an additional way to add to your mats 😉
    Edited by jadarock on November 27, 2019 3:43PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jadarock wrote: »
    @Asardes
    Why would it be a waste if pvp is the content i run and have millions of ap that sit in my bank for months at a time? Flipping some to stock up on jewelry mats literally cost me nothing as I have most of the gear I want from the golden already.
    In the end its an additional way to add to your mats 😉

Well I also have around 14M AP ATM but I do something else. When The Golden stocks something good, I buy multiple, I wait a few months then resell them at high price. I find that a much better AP to gold conversion rate. For example I was able to sell Mother's Sorrow rings for 275K a piece, having them bought for 300K AP a few months prior. I always analyze my decisions in game not only in terms of direct costs, but also opportunity costs compared to other possible options.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:

PC-NA CP 1800+
    Member of:

Characters:
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daily JC writs are a good, consistent source for upgrade mats - at Tier 5, but even lower tiers are worth doing as you work on leveling JC.

Right now, dragons are a great source for jewelry with double drops during the Dawn of the Dragonguard event. I'm just doing both dragon hunt dailies with my spouse, with characters on different days so that we can do 4 dragon hunt dailies each day. Just those and not doing any extra dragons nets me around a dozen or so to decon, and most of them are blue/purple.
  • xWarbrain
    xWarbrain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadarock wrote: »
    My method is to use ap to buy boxes of gear from the cyrodiil vendors and then break them down for mats 😉

This and BGs are the best way to get purple jewelry to decon. For the boxes of gear, buy 3-item sets like Ancients Grace in Cropsford for a much higher drop rate on jewelry. Do a week of BGs and your inbox will be over full of purple jewelry.
    XB1 NA
    Your nerf suggestion is dumb. Learn to counter other players instead of having the game rebuilt to your ability level.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JC Daily writs are worth doing, JC Master Writs are not. It is one of the most expensive and time consuming ways to get Vouchers.
    Edited by Nestor on December 4, 2019 7:56PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ESTyll13
    ESTyll13
    Go kill dragons many many ring drop when kill, recomended South Elswer
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing daily JC writs on 15 characters, 1 max JC lvl, 1 JC lvl25 & the rest are ~lvl4. The upgrade mats you get from the writs themselves is very low. From 15 characters, I average 6 green grains, 1 blue grain, 1 purple OR gold grain each day. which means it would take 10-20 days to get a single purple plating!

Each writ seems to always drop either an ornate or intrinsic piece of jewelry (white) with about equal chance of either, a pulverised trait or style material & either a shipment container (high chance) OR a survey (low chance).Then there is a low possibility of it also dropping one or two improvement grains where the quality is based on the crafter level (low chance) & also possibly an empty soul gem (also low chance).

The surveys are where you can really get some improvement mat grains. Unfortunately the drop rate of surveys seems pretty low, out of 15 characters, I average 2 per day.

I am going to keep doing my JC daily writs for a month to get a decent sample rate... but I already find doing it on 15 characters to be soooooo tedious & the rewards are not satisfying. I do BGs, dolmens & Cyrodiil & decon the jewelry.. but this is also super slow... say you score 10 purple rings in one day (unlikely)... chances are you won't get a grain from all of them when deconned, so that's not even one plating! I haven't been doing the dragons... might give that a go tonight.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing daily JC writs on 15 characters, 1 max JC lvl, 1 JC lvl25 & the rest are ~lvl4. The upgrade mats you get from the writs themselves is very low. From 15 characters, I average 6 green grains, 1 blue grain, 1 purple OR gold grain each day. which means it would take 10-20 days to get a single purple plating!

Each writ seems to always drop either an ornate or intrinsic piece of jewelry (white) with about equal chance of either, a pulverised trait or style material & either a shipment container (high chance) OR a survey (low chance).Then there is a low possibility of it also dropping one or two improvement grains where the quality is based on the crafter level (low chance) & also possibly an empty soul gem (also low chance).

The surveys are where you can really get some improvement mat grains. Unfortunately the drop rate of surveys seems pretty low, out of 15 characters, I average 2 per day.

I am going to keep doing my JC daily writs for a month to get a decent sample rate... but I already find doing it on 15 characters to be soooooo tedious & the rewards are not satisfying. I do BGs, dolmens & Cyrodiil & decon the jewelry.. but this is also super slow... say you score 10 purple rings in one day (unlikely)... chances are you won't get a grain from all of them when deconned, so that's not even one plating! I haven't been doing the dragons... might give that a go tonight.

At max level, you get a guaranteed grain. So level up those skills!

At max tier it's approximately 15% terne, 45% iridium, 35% zircon, and 30% chromium drops (add up to more than 100% because you can get double grains, and even sometimes a full plating (10 grains))

That means with 15 characters, you can expect to get a purple plating every 2 days.

Survey drops should be about 12.5% or 1 in 8, so getting 2 a day among 15 characters is expected.

Do your writs at max level, it's well worth it!
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

At max tier it's approximately 15% terne, 45% iridium, 35% zircon, and 30% chromium drops (add up to more than 100% because you can get double grains, and even sometimes a full plating (10 grains))

That means with 15 characters, you can expect to get a purple plating every 2 days.

Survey drops should be about 12.5% or 1 in 8, so getting 2 a day among 15 characters is expected.

Cheers for the information! It'll take a while to level all 13 chars to max JC level though!

2 chars are already max JC lvl but one doesn't have skill points in all the passives... so I need to get the material upgrade passives on that char.The thought of leveling 13 chars to max JC level is pretty daunting :p I guess if I funnel all the daily drops of intrinsic jewelry to a single char at a time it will speed up the leveling a bit.

It's a whole lotta grind just to get enough mats to craft purple set jewelry! Õ_o

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Cheers for the information! It'll take a while to level all 13 chars to max JC level though!

2 chars are already max JC lvl but one doesn't have skill points in all the passives... so I need to get the material upgrade passives on that char.The thought of leveling 13 chars to max JC level is pretty daunting :p I guess if I funnel all the daily drops of intrinsic jewelry to a single char at a time it will speed up the leveling a bit.

It's a whole lotta grind just to get enough mats to craft purple set jewelry! Õ_o

It will. One hint. You don't get the full benefit of the intricate trait (at least on platinum jewelry) until you've hit around level 35. I level 2 characters at a time. One (who is higher in the skill line) decons the intricate platinum jewelry, the 2nd (at a lower level) decons the non-intricate platinum and other jewelry so that you're not wasting the intricate bonus. Then when the 1st one gets to max level, the 2nd is leveled up and you start on a 3rd
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual with improvement materials, the one in short supply will be the purple. They get used by construction of both purple and gold levels, but the drop rate only reflects their use in the former. I have shortages in Mastic, Grain Solvent, and Elegant Lining as well as the Zircon Plating. No problems at all with the gold level; Rosin, Tempering Alloy, Dreugh Wax, and Chromium Plating are all plentiful, because I'm not using them up so fast.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESTyll13 wrote: »
    Go kill dragons many many ring drop when kill, recomended South Elswer

Totally agree. You can get an insane amount of jewelry if you farm the dragons during this event. Take advantage of the double drops.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    As usual with improvement materials, the one in short supply will be the purple. They get used by construction of both purple and gold levels, but the drop rate only reflects their use in the former. I have shortages in Mastic, Grain Solvent, and Elegant Lining as well as the Zircon Plating. No problems at all with the gold level; Rosin, Tempering Alloy, Dreugh Wax, and Chromium Plating are all plentiful, because I'm not using them up so fast.

Exactly. The number of epic MWs far exceeds the number of legendary MWs for my grand master crafter. I have way more gold level mats than purple for all major crafting lines.

I just got a legendary MW for wood that was only 49 vouchers. I did it anyway because they are few and far between.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your rich. Sell crowns and buy or via gold
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danouk wrote: »

You can do them on both servers....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually you can have 18 on each server. 8 are by default and you can purchase the other 10 with crowns, 1.5K a piece.

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters: