The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wanted: Secure method of exchanging crown items for gold

• BisDasBlutGefriert
    BisDasBlutGefriert
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that would definitely make many of us feel much better in knowing there is a secure way to make the trade.

In my case, I have 21k crowns to burn up, but none of my friends play this game. I'm not in any guild or anything either, so I don't have a group I can mostly trust to do the trading with. Which leaves me sitting on these until either something comes up that interests me enough to blow them on, or till I meet someone trusting enough to do the trade.
    ~There’s a positive in every negative. Sometimes the positive is harder to find than other times, but there is ALWAYS one there~
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    If they gave you that they would be creating a analogous currency with actual value which brings up a lot of legal problems for them especially in the e.u.

By keeping the currency without actual value of items they give you a way to convert gold to crowns but it's not official therefore removing the legal issues they would run into.

Psychology is a big reason they make you convert to virtual currency, but legal issues is why that virtual currency has no real value.

No, what you do is implement what they have in GW2, which is an automatic currency exchange, within the game, where people trade in-game currency (gold) for store currency (the equivalent of Crowns) and vice/versa, like a stock exchange.

Players do not trade directly with each other - they only trade, anonymously, via this exchange mechanism.

As it is an exchange, the value is set by the players and fluctuates, accordingly; the currencies have no set price.

They also allow people to sell certain items they have obtained from the store (normally from gambling chests, I think - although, that may have to change), like weapon skins, on the auction house.

So, when a popular item is being sold, for gold, on the auction house, the price of gold may rise and when popular/new items are on the in-game store the store currency will, typically, rise.

The makers of the game then take a small (small being the operative word!) cut from every exchange, which helps fund the game.

(Also, if you buy store currency with real money, it does have an approximate value, anyway.)
    Edited by Tigerseye on January 12, 2020 2:30AM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    I am pretty sure ZOS never intended for people to exchange Crowns for In game gold, but noticed that people do it so they don't ban you for doing it, but also don't plan on facilitating it themselves.

Seriously? You really believe that? You really think ZOS didn't consider the massive profit potential of allowing players with a lot of money to sell crown items to players with a lot of in game gold but no extra cash? You have a lot to learn.

I have no empirical evidence to lead me to believe that they did originally intend to have players trade crowns for gold using an in game trade system. If you have you have pictures or tweets or video of the design team responsible for designing the crown gifting systems showing that they originally planned to let players trade gold for crowns, please link them to me.

But as someone else here mentioned, ALL speculation on it is meaningless. If ZOS really wants a feature added to the game, they will find a way to add it.

You also have no empirical evidence that they didnt originally intend to have players trade gold for crows. If you have you have pictures or tweets or video of the design team responsible for designing the crown gifting systems showing that they didnt originally planned to let players trade gold for crowns, please link them to me.

After all You were the one saying "I am pretty sure ZOS never intended for people to exchange Crowns for In game gold but noticed that people do it so they don't ban you for doing it, but also don't plan on facilitating it themselves" so please link anything that would make what You said even close to reliable.

At the end it goes down to are we thinking ZoS employees have ape level of IQ or not. Because only apes wouldnt figure out during months between the production and release of gifting that it can be used to trade gold for crown store items. In fact only apes wouldnt figure it out in first few minutes after thinking about it. Also it's no coincidence that soon after 1st crown exchange discords started to pop up ZoS's devs were there pretty fast to monitor situation and ban scammers and they were even faster with with official response saying it's allowed to trade crowns for gold. Initially account upgrades like additional character slot were non giftable so it also gives us an idea ZoS was perfectly aware it'll be traded for gold and they wanted to 1st check how far they can push it. Seriously are we going to pretend we're in kindergarten and say "since noone at ZoS never said officialy what was their intent with gifting we dont know what was their intent" ? It's obvious they wont say officially they wanted to make new monetization method to squeeze more money out of the whales because gifting is excatly that and thinking it was made for any other reason is simply being naive.

I think it was made for both.

People do, sometimes, gift items to other players, without expecting anything in return.

However, I think it would be unlikely that they didn't, also, consider that making that possible would also allow the trading of store items for in-game currency.