The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How is Frostvault laser boss still so bugged

IndianaJames7
IndianaJames7
✭✭✭✭✭
Just got out of a group from Frostvault where literally every mechanic on the vault protector was broken.

Orbs did not consistently kill spheres when they exploded, laser phases were basically a roulette (had a couple pulls where we burned it down to 90 then had the laser, then seconds after it unshielded there was another laser phase immediately with 4 lasers), the number of lasers after the first one is seemingly random, lasers were going through the boss shield and wiping us where we were on the correct side (in a way that was clearly not just us being too close to the edge of the shield), spheres continued to spawn way faster than they used to (we had like 3 of them spawn withing 10 seconds a couple times), lasers phases went clockwise instead of counter clockwise a couple of times, boss just reset while players were still alive, and of course the visual boss shield disappeared forcing us to guess where the edges of the shield were.

How is this boss still so bugged? I submitted like 8 tickets (one for each issue since they don't give you enough space per ticket to say everything that doesn't work) and others in my group sent tickets as well but clearly if all of the tickets players have submitted till now haven't gotten them to fix it then these tickets will mean nothing to them. I've cleared this boss a few times, and every time is was just RNG as to whether the mechanics worked as intended or if we just got wiped by some BS that could not be anticipated as proper mechanics can be. There is a reason many people like myself choose to just avoid this dungeon most of the time, and its not the difficulty; its the fact that you can do everything right and just continually die to BS bugs. Other dungeons at least you can out dps certain mechanics that might be broken, but not when you have mandatory shield phases that force you to endure so many bugs.

I don't know whats going on behind the scenes at ZOS but ever since this last 'phase one of the performance roadmap' the issues with this game has just exploded, not gotten better. I COULDN'T EVEN FISH LAST NIGHT because the lag was so bad in overland that the fish had escaped before the rod indicated that they were hooked. That is, when I was able to actually log in and not getting booted every 5 minutes along with half of the players on NA servers. Is this the kind of performance EU has been contending with for a while now? If so the future of PC NA appears equally bleak. Obviously these issues are much more important than a single dungeon which is why I have no hope the bugs in this fight is going to be fixed any time soon.

The crazy thing is this isn't even a base game feature that happens to not work, this was a DLC that many people paid for that is just broken. You would think that new features that bring in revenue would be a priority for ZOS to fix, but I for one am not giving you any more money until you fix the things I have already paid for.
  • spekdah
    spekdah
    ✭✭✭
    Only done this twice on vet. The number of lasers, 1, 2, 4 etc are consistent and once you know the direction it helps but yes its full of bugs.

Many times the shield would go up, but lasers will go right though and wipe the group. You do everything right and it gets ripped away from you and becomes super frustrating. Sometimes you get caught out of position, so you take a last ditch effort and roll dodge though. Sometimes this works, othertimes dead with no consistency of why.

Pretty sure the laser is a 0.5 second dot ticking for something like 55% of HP? So it's survivable.

Lasers tend to get out of sync, it's even worse with 200ms ping+ like in Aus/NZ. So on screen you look OK, but you die to a laser. 1 group member will say you looked OK, another group member will say you were not, so it's almost like at various points in time all group members are seeing lasers at different positions.

The other fights are not so bad compared to it. Last boss is walk in the park compared to that damm room.
    Edited by spekdah on November 18, 2019 12:07AM
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spekdah wrote: »
    Only done this twice on vet. The number of lasers, 1, 2, 4 etc are consistent and once you know the direction it helps but yes its full of bugs.

No, the reason why I said they were inconsistent is because they were not consistently 1, 2, 4. Many pulls it went 1 then 4 immediately, others it went from 4 back down to 1 again for some reason.

And yes, knowing the direction makes it easier to get into the right spot, but unless I am misinformed here it is always supposed to be counter clockwise. But I know for a fact that it went clockwise for us on a few occasions, causing those of us who immediately went counter clockwise to die because we were on the opposite side of the protected area. Every other time I have done this fight it has always been counter clockwise, but this time it was not always the case, unless they changed that mechanic since last time I did it.
  • Syrusthevirus187
    Syrusthevirus187
    ✭✭✭✭
    So 4 lasers at 90%, and then again at 85% isn't normal?
    What a fun game
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think part of the problem might be a visual bug. Several times I have seen the laser on the opposite side of the sheild as me, but apparently everyone else sees it on my side because they all went to the other side. I watch as the laser gets blocked by the shield on the other side, I die, they all live.
    There have been other times where I got caught out to the side of the shield, shoulda been toasted when the laser hit me, but lived and took no damage.
    Edited by nickl413 on November 18, 2019 12:54AM
  • MakeMeUhSamich
    MakeMeUhSamich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That entire fight is trash
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nickl413 wrote: »
    I think part of the problem might be a visual bug. Several times I have seen the laser on the opposite side of the sheild as me, but apparently everyone else sees it on my side because they all went to the other side. I watch as the laser gets blocked by the shield on the other side, I die, they all live.
    There have been other times where I got caught out to the side of the shield, shoulda been toasted when the laser hit me, but lived and took no damage.

That may also be an issue, but consider this. There was one occasion where all 4 of us were stacked behind the barrier in what appeared the be the correct spot for all of us. 3 of us were killed instantly, and the fourth was unaffected. That cannot be a visual bug. We all just sat there baffled at what even just happened...

Honestly there is so much broken with this fight that it's hard to point out what exactly is causing some of the issues.
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    nickl413 wrote: »

That may also be an issue, but consider this. There was one occasion where all 4 of us were stacked behind the barrier in what appeared the be the correct spot for all of us. 3 of us were killed instantly, and the fourth was unaffected. That cannot be a visual bug. We all just sat there baffled at what even just happened...

Honestly there is so much broken with this fight that it's hard to point out what exactly is causing some of the issues.

Ya, also hard to pin down because the fight just moves too fast for an online game when you consider the normal latency plus typical lag. What you are seeing might of happened 1/4 to 1/2 second ago or worse.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is it still broken?

The dungeon team is underresourced. They don’t have time to check their work fully and are content to put out content that they know is buggy. They don’t resolve it because they’re on a treadmill of 4 dungeons and a trial a year. Fire and forget is the name of the game here.

Never look back. Never get out of the boat.
  • AbysmalGhul
    AbysmalGhul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The laser boss is pretty bugged.

1. Sometimes you'll get infinite lasers or the laser count is off
    2. Sometimes you can face tank a laser and not receive any damage

And when I speak of infinite lasers, I mean that the boss will squat right after the laser phase is complete regardless of how much HP he has left or time spent fighting him
    Edited by AbysmalGhul on November 18, 2019 11:40AM
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One-shot mechanics enhance the game... or, something like that.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The other day we had a fun bug I've never seen before. The next boss, with his Ice Atronach? That the tank keeps away from group while dps burn the main guy, well his Ice Atronach fell face first on the floor at the very beginning of the fight.

He never got up. We simply tanked the main guy and killed him.
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the Ice Atro just had it and he /playdead
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If the boss remains with the expected health for each laser phase, first phase will have 1 laser, then, 2, then 4, 4...

However, if you burn the boss, you won't have 1, 2, 4... but 1 then 4 lasers directly. It's been like this since the dungeon was released.

If you try to cheat the mecs by burning the boss, then be ready to deal with the consequences.

The rest of situations you mention, yes, bugged. Seen them too (ie: laser going through boss orb and killing everyone).

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • IndianaJames7
    IndianaJames7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    If the boss remains with the expected health for each laser phase, first phase will have 1 laser, then, 2, then 4, 4...

However, if you burn the boss, you won't have 1, 2, 4... but 1 then 4 lasers directly. It's been like this since the dungeon was released.

If you try to cheat the mecs by burning the boss, then be ready to deal with the consequences.

The rest of situations you mention, yes, bugged. Seen them too (ie: laser going through boss orb and killing everyone).

Doesn’t explain why boss would go from 4 lasers back down to 1. Or have multiple 1 laser phases in a row at the beginning. And going from 1 to 4 is not always a result of burning to fast. We had times were it went 1 then 4 phases before the boss even got to 90 a couple times.
  • imno007b14_ESO
    imno007b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about all that, but the last three times I played that dungeon and fought that boss (all on separate days), the game froze up and two or three of us got booted off the server, so that's something that definitely needs fixing...
  • Nachtfrost
    Nachtfrost
    Soul Shriven
    Half a year after last post in this thread and still bugged. Tried this boss for 2 hours today. In one try we had 1-1-4 laser, in another the laser were fast as hell, laser kept going through the boss sphere so you cannot survive. And sometimes, the laser didn't hurt for 1 damage.

Totally random things happened. I'd like to get the Stonekeeper helm, but in this bug hell it seems to be just a luck factor to get one not bugged shot.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nachtfrost wrote: »
    Half a year after last post in this thread and still bugged. Tried this boss for 2 hours today. In one try we had 1-1-4 laser, in another the laser were fast as hell, laser kept going through the boss sphere so you cannot survive. And sometimes, the laser didn't hurt for 1 damage.

Totally random things happened. I'd like to get the Stonekeeper helm, but in this bug hell it seems to be just a luck factor to get one not bugged shot.

Sounds like PC EU prime time. Don't run fv in prime time PC EU.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the dungeons got bugs that needs looking into.

For me the absolute worst one is Wayrest.

You get feared into walls, the doors don't open so the group has to crouch and sometimes one of the bosses spawn on a high platform so you have to shoot to kill him but can't loot him. It is a mess lol.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't worry, they will eventually solve it by reducing the health and damage output of the boss.
    Playing since beta...