The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sneak Mechanic Needs Work!

roguedkb16_ESO
Especially the heists you get from Fa'ren Dar are really frustrating as they make use of all the broken mechanics all at once.

- Your sneak will "reset" itself instantly after it has taken effect. So you squat down, see the "eye" close and as soon as its closed it pop open again and then has to slowly close for the second time.

- NPCs have erratic walk / patrol patterns. They'll stand there and then snap around and see you without any warning that they'll move. They'll also do a 360 degree spin when they are starting or stopping their walk path.

- NPCs have eyes in the backs of their heads. No seriously they can see you if your behind them sometimes. I've had to sneak away a few feet and come back soo many times to "reset" them so they cant see me, despite them having their backs turned on me.

- The objective chests during heists do not always show up on the map. So again not enough time to search everything to make it in time.

- Sometimes traps do not react to disarming, or they are damn near invisible to see. I know they are traps and should not be overly easy to see, but with the timer during heists you cant keep eye on floor and have time to react all the time.

- The lantern bearers during heists are way too slow to move the heck out of the way. You end up wasting so much time just standing there waiting for them to move, or if you sneak by them, there's like always another guard close by that WILL see you. Poor design.

- Pickpocketing is fun, but having to do 3x10 of them for a single run takes way too long. It's only once you get really good at sneaking that you can do it within reasonable time. And even then the percentages lie. I was caught 3 times in a ROW at 90% success estimate once.

I could keep going but I think I made my point. Sneaking mechanics and especially heists needs a bit of work to really become fun. They do have loads of potential and I think that's what makes them so annoying. You can tell what the devs wanted them to be like but they are not quite baked all the way through yet.
Hopefully this will be fixed soon so we can steal some more time away from our boring IRL lives playing ESO.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - NPCs have erratic walk / patrol patterns. They'll stand there and then snap around and see you without any warning that they'll move. They'll also do a 360 degree spin when they are starting or stopping their walk path.

I stopped at this point. While it has been awhile since I did heists do seem to recall their patterns were not erratic. They did the same thing every time making it predictable. If they topped at a certain point and waited 5 seconds then turned around that NPC will do the same thing at that point every time.

They followed the same patch each time, stop at the same place each time and turn/spin at the same place each time.

One thing I would suggest is an invis potion but you probably have some of those stocked since it is an obvious help. However considering those heists are several years old and many a player have cleared them the design of them and sneak seem to be working just fine. It is not about speed or brute force which probably trips some players up. It is about observance and finesse.

Good luck.
  • roguedkb16_ESO
    idk wrote: »
    I stopped at this point. While it has been awhile since I did heists do seem to recall their patterns were not erratic. They did the same thing every time making it predictable. If they topped at a certain point and waited 5 seconds then turned around that NPC will do the same thing at that point every time.
    Good luck.

Acturally that point was not about heists. I was talking about NPCs you can pickpocket in the various towns.
    The NPCs in the heists follow very tight and to be honest a bit boring pathes, and there dont seem to be a problem with them the same way as the town NPCs.