The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Toggle open PvP in a player house ("private arenas")

Humanophage
Humanophage
✭✭✭
There is currently no way for people to organise group fights, except in extremely convoluted ways such as going together to IC and clearing out an area. You can see that there are requests to diversify BGs, too, as well as complaints about MMR and queues. I really enjoy BGs, but everyone craves some diversity in entertainment.

What if you could designate your house as a PvP zone (noCP or CP)?

This way, if players go there, they can organise their own little group matches. They will not complain about being matched to overly tough or overly weak opponents, and they can beat their friends to their heart's content.

Advantages:
- Will encourage players to buy very large expensive houses that can be good arenas. Indeed, there is an arena house. Good for profit and directing people towards housing.
- People may buy expensive furniture to make more fun private arenas.
- Should not burden the server much since those are separate instances.
- Fun and unique PvP areas, often quite labyrinthine; diffuses some pressure to make new BG arenas.
- The concept of PvP zones already exists, so there is no need for new ideas like a group invitation to duel. There is a lot of switching of PvP/no-PvP zones in places like IC, and it works fine.
- A good venue to go to if anything happens to BGs, as is occasionally the case. Keeps people hooked to the game.
- Helps build up community and grassroots activity, so players can organise their own events.

Edited by Humanophage on October 31, 2019 12:25AM
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is currently no way for people to organise group fights, except in extremely convoluted ways such as going together to IC and clearing out an area. You can see that there are requests to diversify BGs, too, as well as complaints about MMR and queues. I really enjoy BGs, but everyone craves some diversity in entertainment.

This way, if players go there, they can organise their own little group matches. They will not complain about being matched to overly tough or overly weak opponents, and they can beat their friends to their heart's content.

Advantages:
    - Will encourage players to buy very large expensive houses that can be good arenas. Indeed, there is an arena house. Good for profit and directing people towards housing.
    - Fun and unique PvP areas, often quite labyrinthine; diffuses some pressure to make new BG arenas.
    - The concept of PvP zones already exists, so there is no need for new ideas like a group invitation to duel. There is a lot of switching of PvP/no-PvP zones in places like IC, and it works fine.
    - A good venue to go to if anything happens to BGs, as is occasionally the case. Keeps people hooked to the game.
    - Helps build up community and grassroots activity, so players can organise their own events.

That and ranked 4vs4 BGs would be good addition to the game.
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not specifically PvP related, but housing has a lot of potential for qol features to be added, to make them more than a barbie house. Being able to place crafting stations and dummies was a great start and I would welcome more options to turn houses into potential hubs.

Wildstar housing had a few cool ideas that might be fun to play with in ESO and some other options I've long wanted would be:

Player character NPCs (allow you to "place" your toons within your home)
    Tanking/Healing dummies and/or placable dungeon bosses
    Crafting writ pickup and turn in station
    fishing/harvesting nodes
    PvP arena functionality including traps/seige/custom scoreboards and match types
    Lighting/weather control (additionally the ability to toggle dragons flying overhead on/off would also be really cool but no idea if that would break stuff.)
    a build mode that allowed characters to fly only within their instance and only with building toggled on
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • Humanophage
    Humanophage
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, McGhosty, but I think the advantage of my proposal is that it is so straightforward. Add leaderboards and such some time later, if at all, but a simple toggle like you see in a lot of areas would already be a revolution. Even if it is behind a paywall - e.g., you pay 1m to unlock it (which I think may be a little unnecessary).

Of course, ESO has great potential for a lot of more decentralised player content, and it already has some tradition of this, such as vendors versus a central auction.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a pretty good idea ... until you can’t see your foes render in front of you because furnishing capacity is maxed out.
  • Humanophage
    Humanophage
    ✭✭✭
    Bump. We've been discussing the depressing state of BGs in the guild, and other people independently came with the same idea, so there's definitely some demand.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes definitely. Would love to have the option to enable player aggression in houses. Imagine the labyrinthine death mazes we could make!
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh man a 12-man house battle royal would be super fun :)
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’d have no problem with this. Good idea.
    Edited by Hapexamendios on November 14, 2019 12:39AM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Oh man a 12-man house battle royal would be super fun :)

Yes! Yes it would.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a sweet deal.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good idea, nothing to lose and everything to gain.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best ideas I’ve ever seen put forth on the forums.
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is possibly the best player idea i've seen this month out of this forum. good job on not being another endlessly whining voice in the cesspool!
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Advantages:

Best idea I've seen lately
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't PvP, but I'd definitely get behind this, particularly because one of the available houses is an ARENA...
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do I need to sign? OMG yes yes yes!
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a pretty good idea ... until you can’t see your foes render in front of you because furnishing capacity is maxed out.

LOL.

Actually, Zos should create a house specifically for this. An arena style of some sort. Granted, it would be crown store exclusive to make it worth their time. It really is a good idea and I bet if there was really much interest in it this would sell well.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. Please allow us to flag our houses as open PvP. This seems like it would be a simple way to make houses more like something you can engage with.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • gabriebe
    gabriebe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only issue I'd see if people getting stuck in the furniture all the time. I don't know how many duels in my house ended because somebody was stuck in a plant.
    Former Empresses: Saliva Bortschion (MagBlade), Janet From Finance (PvP MagSorc), Carla Swagan (Tank DK), Estelle Born (StamBlade), Enya Arsenal (MagPlar), Anita Nurse (Magplar Healer), Bearback Brigitte (Magden), Rachel Justice (MagDK), Nicole From Payroll (Stamden), Bailiff Belinda (PvE MagSorc), Féline Dion (StamDK), Septic Tank Tina (Necro Tank)

The runts: The Trolly Spirit (Tank Sorc), Floods-Your-Basement (Warden Healer) Dinah Asthma (Magcro), Total Top Tony (Stamcro)

The traitor
    s: Janis Javelin (Stamplar, EP), Barbecue Becky (Magblade Healer, AD)

PvE: Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Flawless Conqueror

GM: Animal Control

• ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best idea ever
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope.

Not because I hate the idea, it does not work.

Housing PvP does not work well because all knockbacks can hit you through player placed objects.

Uhmmmm, I guess to fix that they will remove all knockbacks from abilities. >:)
  • Gravord
    Gravord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.

Housing PvP does not work well because all knockbacks can hit you through player placed objects.

As insane as it might sound, players can organize fights in area not full of chairs and tables...
  • Kilcosu
    Kilcosu
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be a cool idea.
    it could be like a sick 3 banner war flag that you toggle (flag on fire) to enable battle spirit and subsequently faction PVP in housing areas.
    now that particular example wouldn't be ideal for all situations (same faction problems) but I'm thinking the easiest way to implement now and build on as I don't know how zos would implement a much needed group vs. group dueling system.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an awesome idea, players would be able to create their own customs maps and use some of their extra non primary residences. Plus we could do it in a controlled area with less lag!
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think of it an easy way to implement this would be just to make group duels a thing, that way we could run organized group duels wherever we we wanted. This would open up the possibility to turn our houses into custom maps.

And honestly there have been several forum posts asking for group duels. ZOS, right now on xbox every pvp format is dysfunctional except dueling in Wayrest. Throw us a gd bone please!
    Edited by MentalxHammer on November 17, 2019 6:07PM
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gravord wrote: »
    Nope.

As insane as it might sound, players can organize fights in area not full of chairs and tables...

I'm rather talking about real player-made arenas with custom flooring and walls. A friend tried to build a small arena next to his psijic villa. Eventually he sold me his constructions. Guess why ...
  • Psijic42
    Psijic42
    ✭✭✭

[quote="Salvas_Aren;c-6465074"

I'm rather talking about real player-made arenas with custom flooring and walls. A friend tried to build a small arena next to his psijic villa. Eventually he sold me his constructions. Guess why ...[/quote]

Yes, I wanted to start a thread with this exact same topic, glad others already are sharing the idea.

Please make homes better PvP areas: Toggleable CP, toggleable health/damage buff/nerfs equal to cyro or BGs, and fix the bugs where ground placed aoes go right through planks etc to the floor beneath which completely breaks many ppl's builds. Also allow for XvX battles and not just 1v1 duels.

This would make a lot of very happy campers, hosting PvP duel nights in the guild home etc. Even mini games like rooftop ninja warriors, deadly hide-n-seek, or any other myriad of player created content

• MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    group duels would be good.
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn’t make sense why this isn’t already a feature, especially with the added “pvp house.”
  • TheGreatBlackBear
    TheGreatBlackBear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High key I'd support this. I always travel to my house and find random people using my crafting tables and transmutation station. It'd be nice to able to kill them for trespassing
    Edited by TheGreatBlackBear on November 27, 2019 5:03PM