The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Sorcerer hybrid pvp

Shaloknir
Shaloknir
✭✭✭
Hey,

Is this a good idea for a pvp build or a waste of time:

Dark elf sorcerer hybrid pvp build 2h/resto. Two moon acolyte, shacklebreaker and tk/bloodspawn. Heavy armor.

It coukd utilize ranged execute mages wraith, haunting curse + hurricane and the new bound armaments.

At least there is some burst potential.

Jewelry infused stam/mag recovery.

Is this viable?
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. You lose too much scaling by splitting between stamina and magicka. Pelinal's would be a better hybrid set than New Moon, btw. But it doesn't matter, as hybrids have been considered unviable for a years now. Sorry. =/
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    Nope. You lose too much scaling by splitting between stamina and magicka. Pelinal's would be a better hybrid set than New Moon, btw. But it doesn't matter, as hybrids have been considered unviable for a years now. Sorry. =/

The point was that it wouldnt need Pelinals. Dark elf passive is both sd/wd, new moon is both sd/wd, shackle dips in to both stats stamina and magicka. One could use tristat enchants. Only thing is that one has to distribute leveling stats to stamina and magicka 50/50 or so. That of course lowers the tooltips. The thing is, is it too much of a sacrifice. Pvp is after all the competitive mode and if you play outside meta one might end up being couple steps behind the opponent :-/

And i play on ps4 so I cant test this... yet
    Edited by Shaloknir on October 29, 2019 12:54PM
  • chrightt
    chrightt
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is possible to stack mage’s wrath with executioner but IMO it turns your burst into a very situational burst. I would probably just use executioner on 2h coupled with haunting curse. This should give you enough of a burst. However, what I would suggest is scaling strictly stamina with medium armor and then using Pelinal. This way you can buff your weapon damage with infused weapon damage jewelry + medium armor and then converting it to spell damage. You won’t need to worry about mag regen as much because haunting curse is really cheap cast once per 12s and your other Magicka ability would be critical surge on a 33s timer + BoL (dark deal if you want to) but you should have enough mag sustain without needing mag regen unless you use BoL a lot.

^ I would probably just back bar a shield/bow instead of resto staff and use vigor as heals. A hybrid leaning towards one stat + pelinal rather than splitting stats seems to produce a better outcome atm.

Whatever the case is I don’t really think hybrid works that well in CP battles due to CP system. Without CP though I think hybrids are actually relatively decent this patch.
    Edited by chrightt on October 29, 2019 1:57PM
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    chrightt wrote: »
    It is possible to stack mage’s wrath with executioner but IMO it turns your burst into a very situational burst. I would probably just use executioner on 2h coupled with haunting curse. This should give you enough of a burst. However, what I would suggest is scaling strictly stamina with medium armor and then using Pelinal. This way you can buff your weapon damage with infused weapon damage jewelry + medium armor and then converting it to spell damage. You won’t need to worry about mag regen as much because haunting curse is really cheap cast once per 12s and your other Magicka ability would be critical surge on a 33s timer + BoL (dark deal if you want to) but you should have enough mag sustain without needing mag regen unless you use BoL a lot.

^ I would probably just back bar a shield/bow instead of resto staff and use vigor as heals. A hybrid leaning towards one stat + pelinal rather than splitting stats seems to produce a better outcome atm.

Whatever the case is I don’t really think hybrid works that well in CP battles due to CP system. Without CP though I think hybrids are actually relatively decent this patch.

Nice advice :-) thank you. Have pelinals already. Ill try it next patch.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaloknir wrote: »
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

The point was that it wouldnt need Pelinals. Dark elf passive is both sd/wd, new moon is both sd/wd, shackle dips in to both stats stamina and magicka. One could use tristat enchants. Only thing is that one has to distribute leveling stats to stamina and magicka 50/50 or so. That of course lowers the tooltips. The thing is, is it too much of a sacrifice. Pvp is after all the competitive mode and if you play outside meta one might end up being couple steps behind the opponent :-/

And i play on ps4 so I cant test this... yet

Problem is, skills scale of either spell/weapon dmg or max stamina/magicka. With your current set up, you will have low stat of both side and that make your skills weak. While pelinal is stricting people to specific playstyle, it allows you to focus on building 1 stat that benefits all, easier to build around weapon dmg as mostly stamina specs generat more weapon dmg than magicka spec of spell dmg.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, the things that make hybrids powerful is not really raw offensive power in my opinion, but the ability to use two resource pools, stack a lot of healing (if desired), stack a lot of debuffs (if desired), stack a lot of buffs, and the ability to have access any skill you want with little downside.

However, hybrids will eventually suffer from either a lack of damage (and/or crit), sustain, defense, or a combination of these things. It's exactly why most hybrid builds use medium or light armor, even if they do not use pellenial's.

As for sorc hybrids, I have not used one in a while, but soon I might since I see no real advantage to being a pure build this patch anywhere in PvP and it feels kind of stale to be a stam sorc/mag sorc. But that is after my hybrid NB of course ;)
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Honestly, the things that make hybrids powerful is not really raw offensive power in my opinion, but the ability to use two resource pools, stack a lot of healing (if desired), stack a lot of debuffs (if desired), stack a lot of buffs, and the ability to have access any skill you want with little downside.

However, hybrids will eventually suffer from either a lack of damage (and/or crit), sustain, defense, or a combination of these things. It's exactly why most hybrid builds use medium or light armor, even if they do not use pellenial's.

As for sorc hybrids, I have not used one in a while, but soon I might since I see no real advantage to being a pure build this patch anywhere in PvP and it feels kind of stale to be a stam sorc/mag sorc. But that is after my hybrid NB of course ;)

I agree with you. Hybrids have access to so many options that it tempts me. Only I fear I cant compete with it. Guess i have to try and see if it works. At least i could throw lightning while wielding swords. Now thats the power fantasy im looking for :-)
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Devs stated in last PTS that they are going to merge spell and armor pen into single debuffs. If that happens, and Elemental drain reduces both armors, all sets with penetration reduce both armors, then going hybrid becomes massively more practical.

As the game is now, I go hybrid primarily for access to magicka heals on a stamina build. Healing is not impacted heavily by CP; you put points into the same CP to buff healing for stam or mag. Healing is not impacted by penetration so you are not having to split stats there. You have to weigh if the cost of losing a useful 4 and 5 piece bonus is worth having access to a big class magicka heals.
  • Aerenel
    Aerenel
    ✭✭✭
    Why magicka heals? Vigor is op.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You could try Pelinals and Bright throat. The trick with Pelinals is 5 medium, 3x infused weapon damage enchants, and bright throat, then use mostly magicka abilities.

It could work in no-CP, CP points force you to specialize in mag or stam damage so it’ll be weaker in CP.

In no-CP spell and weapon damage scales better than magicka or stamina for damage. I think I took a look at trying it but decided against it. Penetration is a huge issue with medium armour so you sorta need Onslaught, but I prefer weaving Overload which was another reason I didn’t try it.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    The New Moon Acolyte and Shackle Breaker, with sharpened weapons, using tri-stat armor glyphs has worked well for me. I didn't level my attribute points but focused on one. You have about 2.5-2.7k unbuffed weapon and spell damage without weapon jewelry glyphs and 32k+ primary and 20k secondary resource pool in CP environment (as Dark Elf), with about 18k base health. With Infused neck and 2x swift, glyphed with recovery and mundus, you can get thereabouts 1.8k recovery. So stat wise, this isn't a true hybrid; but you can gain more benefits from your magic class kit skills, as stamina focused.

• Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »
    The New Moon Acolyte and Shackle Breaker, with sharpened weapons, using tri-stat armor glyphs has worked well for me. I didn't level my attribute points but focused on one. You have about 2.5-2.7k unbuffed weapon and spell damage without weapon jewelry glyphs and 32k+ primary and 20k secondary resource pool in CP environment (as Dark Elf), with about 18k base health. With Infused neck and 2x swift, glyphed with recovery and mundus, you can get thereabouts 1.8k recovery. So stat wise, this isn't a true hybrid; but you can gain more benefits from your magic class kit skills, as stamina focused.

Nice to hear it works for someone. What skills from magicka pool are you using? Just curious.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shaloknir wrote: »

Nice to hear it works for someone. What skills from magicka pool are you using? Just curious.

I am using the sets on my magDK but here is Stone Fist tool-tips on my action bar. The displayed skill is meant to show how you'd gain more from your secondary resource class kit or non-class skills.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GNm9XorioW5ESbrq7

Using the following stats,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/APMyri4joMwn9vce7

Edited: Trying to get the images to display. I could get a higher spell and weapon damage using the weapon glyph. But the stats image is meant to offer a thereabouts view on stats +/- w/o undaunted 5/1/1 stat passive (which would give my guy higher stat pools).

For the OP, Stamina Sorc. gain most of their direct damage from weapon skills. After the degradation of the DoT damage, you could utilize the 20k spell + 2.5 (ish) spell damage and use Lightning Form instead of the Hurricane for chance to proc Concussion. You could use Rune Cage to immobilize targets to line up D-swing with a slightly higher after effect damage from the Rune Cage damage tool-tip portion. You'd would also have more Streaks to improve your mobility and also use Dark Exchange to restore stamina and health more often.

Granted those examples are all situational needs, but I often find outmaneuvering your assailant or target is part of the strategic fun.
    Edited by Sahidom on November 1, 2019 4:29AM