The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

A bunch of noob questions

Maytreia
Maytreia
Soul Shriven
Hey guys. 37 lvl stam Nightblade here, and i got a couple of questions.
- Should i deconstruct or sell all weapons, glyphs, and gear that i get? I dont have any profession leveled, so it seems that i'm missing a lot of resources. Or it's still better to deconstruct than sell to vendors?
- Do i need special character for crafting? Like is there something that helps to craft in champions points or whatever. Or maybe i should just focus on leveling only one profession for my favorite character so i don't waste skill points?
- Is there a real reason to rent a house? Any special benefits? As far as i get it, i can teleport to it any time, and have crafting tables there. Can i place there chests or crates to store items in addition to my bank?
- Is there any difference between weapon types, like swords, axes, and maces?
- How to power lvl as stam NB? As a templar, i feel like i can face tank everything while doing insane damage. On the NB i get killed every time I make a mistake, plus some mobs starting to flee when i kite a large pack with a bow for too long. It's more challenging and fun for sure, but it seems that i'll have to grind a lot even after 50 lvl, so i'm looking for tips to make it a bit easier and faster. Are there any mandatory skills for this? My only reliable AoEs are Steel Tornado and Acid Spray, and i have literally nothing to survive and heal. I'm obviously do something wrong but have no idea what exactly.

Pretty sure there were more questions to ask, but thats it for now :) Hope i didn't write anything incredibly dumb, and thanks in advance!
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maytreia wrote: »
    - Should i deconstruct or sell all weapons, glyphs, and gear that i get? I dont have any profession leveled, so it seems that i'm missing a lot of resources. Or it's still better to deconstruct than sell to vendors?
    - Do i need special character for crafting? Like is there something that helps to craft in champions points or whatever. Or maybe i should just focus on leveling only one profession for my favorite character so i don't waste skill points?
    - Is there a real reason to rent a house? Any special benefits? As far as i get it, i can teleport to it any time, and have crafting tables there. Can i place there chests or crates to store items in addition to my bank?
    - How to power lvl as stam NB? As a templar, i feel like i can face tank everything while doing insane damage. On the NB i get killed every time I make a mistake, plus some mobs starting to flee when i kite a large pack with a bow for too long. It's more challenging and fun for sure, but it seems that i'll have to grind a lot even after 50 lvl, so i'm looking for tips to make it a bit easier and faster. Are there any mandatory skills for this? My only reliable AoEs are Steel Tornado and Acid Spray, and i have literally nothing to survive and heal. I'm obviously do something wrong but have no idea what exactly.

Pretty sure there were more questions to ask, but thats it for now :) Hope i didn't write anything incredibly dumb, and thanks in advance!

1. If you don't have someone to make you gear, try and keep 5 pieces of a set that way you can get the bonus's, keep everything for at least 5 levels and then decon EVERYTHING expect items with the little yellow/icon, sell those as its worth more gold
    2. Unless you want to be serious about crafting, as researching can take a LONG time, so its best to start early but you can always join a guild if you need help with gear
    3. Not sure what you mean by rent a house, there is a quest to get a free inn for your factions starter level, its not big but it has room, yes you can buy storage crates to store items in ( I think you get them in the Crown Store )
    4. When Dual Wielding, the type of weapon matters due to the Twin Blade and Blunt passive. Swords increases the end damage your attacks do, Daggers increases your Critical Chance, Axes have a chance to cause bleed and Maces ignore some of your target's physical resistance thus letting more damage through.
    5. I can't answer since I haven't played this class

I'm sure there are others that could answer these a lot better than me
    Edited by JamieAubrey on October 28, 2019 2:32AM
  • LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out as Stamina Nightblade and could not learn the class well enough. It felt like I had no self healing and no power to hit things and kill them quickly. I re-specced to magicka nightblade and found it much easier to play.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very simple solution: Level as a magblade and respec later. I'm serious. Swallow Soul heals you. Sap Essence heals you. Both are attack skills. It's like a magplar.

To heal as a stamina nightblade you need Vigor. To get Vigor, you need to PvP some. Alternatively you can try to make do with Rally, but it's the last skill in the 2H skill line. It's all a big Catch-22. Draining Shot is a good heal, at least in PvP, but it's a single target attack skill with a single heal. Not ideal. Swallow Soul is a heal over time. Sap Essence is AOE. Much better.

Actually there's one thing I forgot: Dark Cloak. That's an early unlock and it should work as a short heal over time, much like Vigor, albeit I'm not sure how strong it is on a stamina nightblade. Probably not very. Like I said: Catch-22. Be a magicka nightblade for the time being.

In terms of stamina AOE, most people run Arrow Barrage in PvE. Steel Tornado is good. Shrouded Daggers is cheaper and nice for smaller groups. Reverse Slice (2H) for the splash damage. Brawler (2H) for a protective shield and AOE damage, but it's expensive. You'll have to heavy attack weave. Dawnbreaker of Smiting. Rend (the DW ulti) includes a heal and is AOE. Bombard, rather than Acid Spray, may lock mobs into place (this has been changed from patch to patch).
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To level a skill line, such as bow, on a magblade, put one or more bow skills on your skill bar, even though you are using a different weapon. It will level the bow skill line. Specifically: Put bow skill on your front bar. Experience is awarded when an NPC dies. Be sure to have bow skill on the bar when it does.
    Edited by fred4 on October 28, 2019 5:06AM
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    . To heal as a stamina nightblade you need Vigor.

This is just false. You can use blood craze, blood thirst and rend or, better yet, rally and brawler and you absolutely will not need to use vigor at all.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    . To heal as a stamina nightblade you need Vigor.

This is just false. You can use blood craze, blood thirst and rend or, better yet, rally and brawler and you absolutely will not need to use vigor at all.
    I forgot about Bloodthirst and Blood Craze, but they are single target. You are right, but all of this, except maybe Brawler, pales in terms of ease of use, when you compare it to Sweeps and Sap Essence. The problem for a newer player, I think, is that they get caught out with something like Rally, because it's a burst heal and because it's not totally on demand. Rend, being an ult, is also not on demand. I think heals over time and heals tied to AOE are easier to use than burst heals or single target heals, when you are dealing with larger mob groups. Vigor is so short now, I don't think it's totally noob friendly either, but at least it's still a HOT. I kind of agree on Brawler, though, it's how I started 4 years ago. Bombard, in it's then form, was also a revelation to me at the time, as it would lock melee mobs in place.

Doing the likes of vMA these days, I don't personally use Brawler anymore, nor Bombard. Both are expensive and don't do enough damage (though I have not checked Brawler in a looong time). Reverse Slice seems just so much more effective in vMA and Spellscar alike, although I hear it was double-dipping in crit, which they fixed.

There are some other ways of solving healing, now that I think of them. Troll King is the obvious one. If you have any healing at all, Troll King fills in the gaps. Speccing into health regen (Steed Mundus, gold food, Seventh Legion, lingering pots) or using a set like Cyrodiil's Crest would be some further solutions, but seem kind of overkill - more PvP practices.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) This depends. If you wish to create a character that can craft effectively, then you will need to use the gear you pick up to both research whenever possible, and deconstruct to progress the crafting lines and gain crafting resources. If however you are not concerned with crafting, then sell everything for the cash.
    2) Kind of, crafting is a time consuming and in some respects challenging and expensive aspect of the game. It requires focus and dedication to get all those crafting trees lines up and all the traits etc researched. It costs a lot of skill points as well. So I think the short answer is yes. Note that Orcs are best for crafting, they level the crafting lines faster.
    3) You nailed the main reason, get all the free houses, because it creates a network of free "waypoints" you can fast travel to. Beyond this, yes if you wish you can purchase storage boxes to keep all your loot in, which is very advantageous as you continue to progress, because there is a LOT of stuff in the game! (Storage boxes cost money from Crown store, two sizes, 30 spaces and 60 spaces). I am an 810 cp player, here since the first year of the game, I have all the boxes and they are all full, pretty much all of the time, as well as having maxed out banking space. But I am a hoarder, dont be like me lol!
    4) YES, very much so. Swords offer an increase in the base damage done. Axes have a chance to proc bleed damage on target. Maces penetrate armour better. Daggars increase your chance to land a critical strike (crits = more damage).
    5) NB is a more challenging and less forgiving of mistakes, class to keep alive, particularly when just learning. I had similar issues with dying a lot after changing from classes like sorc and templar which have far higher survivability. There are things you can do though, skills you can slot and use etc, I would suggest looking up some guides on online/youtube, as I would be here all day trying to explain (and others can explain better).

Happy gaming :)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I want to elaborate on a few things.

Crafting IS useful in this game. Some of the crafted sets are very good. Retraiting gear (transmuting it), including jewelry, can make or break your endgame PvP build and only YOU can do that. Another player cannot do it for you, as items get bound. This is a good reason to at least research the traits you are most likely to use.

Crafting your own potions is very useful as only the most common ones tend to be available in guild stores. Same goes for glyphs to some degree.

You'll want the Alchemy Medicinal Use passive for endgame. Getting Provisioning to 50 gives you access to the Connoisseur passive, which increases the duration of the very expensive Mythic Aetherial Ambrosia XP drinks from 30 min to 50 min.

Completing all crafting research takes months. The research times escalate. This is necessary, if you ever want to craft 7, 8 or 9-trait sets, otherwise you'll have to rely on help from others. It pays off to start immediately and be dilligent about the research. There is nothing wrong with doing this on your main character, the only barrier is that you need A LOT of skill points eventually. This means going after all public dungeon bosses and pretty much all skyshards in the game, but then you WILL have enough skill points to be a crafter with your main. There are actually two advantages of doing this on your first (main) character. One is that you get started early. The other is that you are going to accumulate skill points from the main questlines, which you unlikely want to repeat on your alts. Your main is, therefore, likely to have the most skill points of all your characters in the long run.

The disadvantage to crafting on your main comes when not having ESO+. Lacking a crafting bag, you have to store your materials somewhere. I store them in my bank and keep excess armor sets in home storage. Having a dedicated crafter might allow you to store the materials in their inventory, but in the long run that will not even be large enough. You'll also end up constantly transferring materials via the bank. A lot of hassle. IMO ESO+ is best, followed by reserving your bank mainly for materials.

On home storage: Getting it from the crown store is very expensive as is getting it with Tel Var. Both equate to around 600K in-game gold for one of the large chests. The BY FAR cheaper way is paying for them with crafting writ vouchers. A large box comes in at 200 vouchers, which are worth around 120K in-game gold. This is another reason to learn crafting, particulary jewelry crafting. With the state of the in-game economy right now, I find purple jewelry crafting writs that yield 203 writ vouchers the best way to obtain a chest. You don't need any motif knowledge for those.

By the way, crafting is also the #1 long-term steady way to make gold in this game, especially if you have a lot of alts. Daily crafting writs give you chances of gold tempers, which are always in demand and worth thousands. If you value speed of trading, it pays off to be in a big trading guild that maintains a trader in a prominent location. Craglorn on PC EU, Mournhold / Stormhaven / Grahtwood / Rawl Kha on PC NA. Items sell much faster in one of these guilds, however the best ones require you regularly sell 100K+ worth of goods every week. Even lesser trading guilds have weekly targets or dues. The best way to meet those is to have a source of easily-selling, high-value materials. Being in a top trading guild that has a lot of turnover also gives you better statistics in addons, such as Master Merchant.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about Bloodthirst and Blood Craze, but they are single target.

blood craze stacks with the amount you cast it on. rend is aoe, basically 16 seconds of amazing healing and damage, you are not going to die with rend ticking.
    You are right, but all of this, except maybe Brawler, pales in terms of ease of use, when you compare it to Sweeps and Sap Essence. The problem for a newer player, I think, is that they get caught out with something like Rally, because it's a burst heal and because it's not totally on demand. Rend, being an ult, is also not on demand.

have you seen the tooltip for rally? on my stamplar, it is like 5k, at base, after the first case, it is literally a spammable burst heal. rally is totally "on demand" after the first cast. rend last for 16 seconds, the longest healing ulti in the game, it also only costs 150 ulti points(138 if you are redgaurd, the passives that lower weapon skills also works on the ultis in the weapon skill lines), making it pretty much(not literally of course) on demand on a nb.
    though I have not checked Brawler in a looong time

brawlers ward is also crazy, it is like 5k on my stamplar without hitting anything, wup to like 20k if i hit 6 mobs. it is really crazy.

i have a stam version of each class, i do not use vigor on any of them, it certainly is not a "need". does it make thing slightly easier, sure, but so does all of the skill i have laid out and most of them do damage as well as heal you, you know, the best way to survive? to kill the thing attacking you. if you need mroe then the skill i have talked about, really, you need to look at how you are playing, stay out of red, dodge/block more. etc etc.

Edited by OG_Kaveman on October 28, 2019 5:50PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    I forgot about Bloodthirst and Blood Craze, but they are single target.

blood craze stacks with the amount you cast it on. rend is aoe, basically 16 seconds of amazing healing and damage, you are not going to die with rend ticking.
    You are right, but all of this, except maybe Brawler, pales in terms of ease of use, when you compare it to Sweeps and Sap Essence. The problem for a newer player, I think, is that they get caught out with something like Rally, because it's a burst heal and because it's not totally on demand. Rend, being an ult, is also not on demand.

have you seen the tooltip for rally? on my stamplar, it is like 5k, at base, after the first case, it is literally a spammable burst heal. rally is totally "on demand" after the first cast. rend last for 16 seconds, the longest healing ulti in the game, it also only costs 150 ulti points(138 if you are redgaurd, the passives that lower weapon skills also works on the ultis in the weapon skill lines), making it pretty much(not literally of course) on demand on a nb.
    though I have not checked Brawler in a looong time

brawlers ward is also crazy, it is like 5k on my stamplar without hitting anything, wup to like 20k if i hit 6 mobs. it is really crazy.

i have a stam version of each class, i do not use vigor on any of them, it certainly is not a "need". does it make thing slightly easier, sure, but so does all of the skill i have laid out and most of them do damage as well as heal you, you know, the best way to survive? to kill the thing attacking you. if you need mroe then the skill i have talked about, really, you need to look at how you are playing, stay out of red, dodge/block more. etc etc.
    @Maytreia, listen to this man as well. My own first stop is Vigor in any stam build that lacks healing, but it is possible to heal in many ways. One thing that can catch you out, when you don't have an outright heal skill, is not staying on the attack. If you hesitate or you flee (for whatever reason), then only some skills like Vigor and Rally heal you, or a skill like Swallow Soul that keeps running for 10 seconds. Recent changes to Rally make it work more consistently, something that I overlooked.

I had one thing in the back of my mind. The first skills you unlock as a totally new character tend to be your first class skills. That's why magplar and magblade have a leg up early on, since Sweeps and Swallow Soul heal you while attacking. As you unlock more skills you become less dependent on those skills.
  • Maytreia
    Maytreia
    Soul Shriven
    Wow thats A LOT of helpful answers, thanks guys!

Ok, it seems pretty much clear about stam NB sustain now (i just dont want to reroll to magika), tho it's a bit disturbing that i'll have to use ultimate from dual wield that unlocked only at 50 skill lvl. But now i see that there are a lot of skill i can use for now.

About crafting - i do have ESO+ and i'm pretty sure that i want to lvl up clothing and alchemy. Maybe jewelry too. Will i be able to craft these 9 piece sets with these? Or i will need blacksmithing for weapons also? I'm a bit scared of necessity to get every skill point, especially from quests, so i'm not gonna lvl up every profession, sadly. Btw If i will get all these points will it be enough to have high crafting skills and to have all i need for combat?

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    9-trait sets, not 9-piece. Those are sets that require you to have all 9 traits researched. The short is, you will also need Blacksmithing.

My own policy is to level every crafting skill line on every character so I can do top level crafting writs using the same materials and not clutter up my inventory. That doesn't mean you have to unlock every crafting passive on every character, although I have Alchamy and Enchanting on every one for convenience.

Public dungeon bosses, Undaunted dungeon quests and skyshards all yield skill points, which are sufficient to unlock all crafting skill lines and still have a well-rounded main character. Where things get tight is if, you wanted, say, Psijic AND werewolf AND PvP AND more than two weapon skill lines on top of your crafting, class skill lines, armor passives and Fighter's Guild skills.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do the story content you will get more skill points than you can use so use your main as in the character you get the skyshards and quest on as crafter, many furniture also require experience in multiple skills to craft.

And you definitely need to research traits. This let you change trats on gear, some weapons are very hard to get and changing traits of them is priceless.

Everything below cp160 is pretty much worthless.
    Deconstruct everything Intricate, you want to hold on to or sell purple jewelry

Templar sweep is an damage+ self heal, any stamina build needs vigor. Do Cyrodil or BG for it,
    Lots of guilds do causal pvp stuff.
    And yes my primary advice is join some friendly guilds. They offer loads of help and fun.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • azjuwelz
    azjuwelz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamblade and crafting main here, lol. Yes, it's a more challenging class to play, but it's (usually) a lot of fun. I also recommend making your main toon your crafting toon since it does take so long to research traits, but you can then make yourself a really good set like Hundings, and also of course transmute your dungeon/trial gear.

Don't forget your class skill Siphoning/Leeching strikes, which also heals you if you decide to stick with the stam build. I do slot Vigor for the "oh crap" moments in vet dungeons or trials, but otherwise the Bloodcraze, Leeching strikes, and other little heals in the NB class are enough to do the job.

Also, get good at roll/dodge. This is a very mobile class, and dodging is 100% damage mitigation.
    Xbox-NA
    Guildmaster of Nightmothers Deadly Deals

PVE/PVP Stamblade: Ylandra Silverthorn
    PVE Magwarden healer: Raw'zl Dah Zel
    PVE DK Tank: Greta Feuerwerk
    PVP StamDK: Helga Feuerwerk
    PVP Necro Healer: Dratha Helbain
    PVE Magcro: Dorian Fey
    PVE Magblade: Arivssa Thaoral
    PVE Magsorc: Eldara Birchwood
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is all from a PVE perspective...

1) All gear under CP160 is trash once you hit CP160. I read down in your post, so I'm guessing you are already a CP160 on that templar. Once you get to level 50 on the NB, you will jump to the level your highest character is.

2) Your original character will likely become your crafter as you will earn the most skill points through it as you level up. You only need one master crafter.

3) YES. They are great at unlocking zones you haven't been to, and are terrific for free travelling when away from a wayshrine. I bought all of the cheap ones as soon as I could. They unlock across all alternates, so they come in very handy when you start making alternates.

4) Yes. Axes cause bleed, swords are weapon damage, maces are penetration, and daggers are crit.

5) Do quest line/area overland content, it gives more XP. Do dolmens. Do the main quest. Always have an XP scroll buff active.
  • Maytreia
    Maytreia
    Soul Shriven
    And thanks again, all my fears are gone xD

45lvl now, already rerolled all my skill points (i was pretty messy about it before), leveling professions, gathering skill shards with addon, doing dolmens occasionally, and tried 2H weapon.

Just noticed that almost all of PvP guides suggest using 2H weapon wich a bit of strange for an assassin, but whatever. Overall 2 handed weapon feels much stronger, i picked brawler and it's so much easier to deal with huge mob packs now.

So what should i do after i reach level 50? Just level up further?
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You need to get to CP160, which is the level cap for gear. THEN you can start thinking of your endgame build.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So what should i do after i reach level 50? Just level up further?

Absolutely. CP helps for PVE and PVP, unless you are a no-CP PVPer. And your levels increase across all of your characters that are over level 50 at that point, so there is no need to level each individually. I do primarily endgame group content with several guilds. But when I'm not, I tend to run overland stuff to get skyshards and skill points. Not necessarily quests, but public dungeons for that group boss point. And some quick quests where you get a skill point, but those are rare

The 2H thing in PVP is fairly standard, although people were running dual wield "spin to win" characters earlier this year. I don't PVP a lot so I don't know if that is still a thing.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. If your into crafting deconstruct everything but save some stuff to research traits
    2. Any class and character can craft other than resource node harvest speed there's no CP related to crafting
    3. As a new player I would focus on 3 professions just to get started its entirely possible to max out all 7 professions on 1 character if your not into alts. Some people will split them up between different characters 1 character does Alchemy, Enchanting, Provisioning and the other characters does the rest so you don't have to learn motifs with other characters but with the outfit system that's not a big issue unless your going to craft gear for other people.
    4. There are storage chests where you can store gear and dps dummies to practice on that you can buy for your house there's a handful of free inn rooms to get you started and a decent bigger house isn't to expensive.
    5. No difference between melee weapons unless you put skill points into the Twin Blade and Blunt passive under duel wield and there's a similar passive for two handers.
    6. Templar is a good class especially for new players and maybe something to keep player till you feel more comfortable with the game. sadly I'm not an expert on leveling a NB
    Hope this helps...

Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.