The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Blastbones vs beetles

Dr_Ganknstein
Dr_Ganknstein
✭✭✭✭✭
Why is it warden beetles ignore vertical limits yet blastbones will most times stop at a flight of stairs? Example, I'm on the top floor of a keep and a warden is fighting guards on the ground level and his beetles hit me.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because they are two entirely different abilities? One is single target, like Crystal Blast but with pathing, and the other an AoE.

Now I don’t know why, but in ESO AoE abilities have a lot of vertical (y-axis) allowance normally as much as horizontal (x-axis) allowance. Hence abilities like Streak (before the changes), Beetles etc. hit people on multiple levels of a tower. The bigger the length of the AoE the bigger its vertical allowance. You can also get hit by DBoS or Leap AoEs while being on different ground levels but since their x-axis allowance is lower so is their y-axis and it doesn’t quite work on different tower floors.

As for why they added AI pathing to an ability when it barely works, that no one sane can answer.

Edited by Maulkin on October 27, 2019 5:28PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because one is just a delayed AoE, while the other is a pet with pet AI, and pet AI tends to be completely stupid.

In my honest opinion, I think it's best if they dropped the whole pet concept altogether for Blastbones, because a burst skill with pet AI just doesn't work, even without the current issues Blastbones has. It'd still need to physically travel to the target using the AI's path finding capabilities (which are garbage in ESO), it'd still be stunnable, and it'd still be killable.

They should just rework it into a single target version of Sub Assault, with a shorter delay. You cast it targeting someone, it summons near where you were when you cast it, takes maybe 1.5 seconds to summon or whatever, and it just rushes at the target as a glorified projectile. Maybe make it absorb any corpses near the summoning area to increase its damage, or something, to make it not just a single target rip off of Sub Assault.

Have it actually function as a burst skill, leave the pet stuff to the skeletal mage/archer. At least that just stands near you and pew pews from range, no path finding to screw it over.
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe instead of the lame pet running toward its target it can be skeletons coming from under the target? Also I know beetles are different I was just pointing out how one is "bugged" and hits targets that are much higher or lower vertically. That should be fixed as well.
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or make it a spirit/ghost. Stam version can be Slimer magica can be Casper.
  • juhislihis19
    juhislihis19
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blastbones is quite strong in duels, except when the skeleton just freezes and has second thoughts about attacking the target.

In open world is super buggy.

On another note, shouldn't Noxious Breath have the same range as Sub Assault? Both are cone attacks, but I swear Breath doesn't hit as far as Sub.
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont listen everyone here. Boht of these skills are delayed aoe and they have same amount of damage (above spammables).

Blast bone is more projectile than it is a pet. You can not compare it to any other pet anways. It's job is going to ememy from your position like any other projectile.

About your question, oil drop locations on keeps are unique. You can walk overthem but atack through them too. You can use shalks on top level at oil location and you will se beetles at ram location. BUT this is only graphical, it dont deal damage. If it does, it should be a bug.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont listen everyone here. Boht of these skills are delayed aoe and they have same amount of damage (above spammables).

Blast bone is more projectile than it is a pet. You can not compare it to any other pet anways. It's job is going to ememy from your position like any other projectile.

About your question, oil drop locations on keeps are unique. You can walk overthem but atack through them too. You can use shalks on top level at oil location and you will se beetles at ram location. BUT this is only graphical, it dont deal damage. If it does, it should be a bug.

the issue is blastbones is buggy af. also if you tell a skeleton to jump of a cliff it runs down the stairs and then just dies. zos?