I've always wanted to see an article or guide where I can read about what each class can do, what buffs or debuffs it has access to, and what roles tend to suit it best and why, however till now, I don't think i've ever seen such a thread or guide. All of them are either too outdated, or too general.
For example; "Class xxxx does extremely high single target damage and good AOE."
Like, excuse me? Can you at least tell me how it does that and why? How high is it compared to the others?
Well, I finally got around to doing one myself.
It's certainly better than sitting around, looking at a 5 minute loading screen before i can do my writs, swap to another toon, disconnect, watch another 5 minute loading screen, and then disconnect again with today's server instability. It took me 3 f*cking hours to do my daily writs on 9 characters, and I wasn't willing to torture myself anymore than that, Witchfest be-damned. I'm on PCNA if anyone's curious.
Figured I'd post it up here for the newbies to look at. I'm no expert, not even high CP so I'm sure one of you fine gentlemen will be perfectly happy to insult my idiocy, my general lack of anything resembling L33T Gaming skeelz, my gene pool and maybe even my ancestors, but I reckon I have enough experience in the game to at least give them a good Overview of what each class can and cannot do, so let's get cracking.
General notes for the Beginners
1. Major buffs stacks with Minor buffs of the same name. Major buffs of the same name do not stack with each other. Both Major and Minor can be added together with similar, but unnamed buffs. For example, you can have Major Fracture, Minor Fracture and 5% Physical Reduction from Nightblade's Surprise Attack, all on the same target.
2. You can only pick one morph. Feel free to experiment if it suits your playstyle, as switching morphs is cheap and fast.
S = Self
ST = Single Target
AOE = Area of Effect
HOT = Heal over Time
Group = Affects entire party
DoT = Damage over Time
-Assassination: ST Minor Vulnerability (Teleport Strike and Morphs) - Changes into AOE Minor Vulnerability with Lotus Fan morph
-Assassination: ST Major Fracture & Breach (Mark Target and Morphs)
-Shadow: ST Off-Balance (Veiled Strik when attacking from sneak/Invisibility)
-Shadow: 5% Physical Resistance Reduction (Surprise Attack - Morph of Veiled Strike, when attacking from flank) [Stacks with Major/Minor Fracture
-Shadow: ST Minor Maim (Summon Shade and Morphs)
-Siphoning: Minor Magickasteal (Debilitate - Morph of Cripple)
-Assassination: Self Major Evasion (Blur and Morphs)
-Assassination: Self Minor Resolve (Mirage - Morph of Blur)
-Assassination: Self Major Berserk (Reaper's Mark - Morph of Mark Target)
-Assassination: Group Minor Savagery on crit (Hemorrhage passive)
-Assassination: Self Empower (Ambush - Morph of Teleport Strike)
-Shadow: Group Major Protection (Consuming Darkness ultimate and Morphs)
-Shadow: Self Minor Proection (Dark Cloak - Morph of Shadow Cloak)
-Shadow: AOE Major Expedition (Path of Darkness and Morphs)
-Shadow: Self Major Resolve on use of Shadow line skills (Shadow Barrier passive)
-Siphoning: Major Vitality (Soul Siphon - Morph of Soul Shred Ultimate)
-Siphoning: Self Minor Mending (Healthy Offering - Morph of Malevolent Offering)
-Siphoning: Major Brutality and Major Sorcery (Drain Power and Morphs)
Others (Comments and my experience with the class)
-The only class with a stealth ability. Can morph to drop the invisibility and gain a strong HoT instead
-In-built Execute. can morph into ranged Magicka Execute or heal on kill within 2 seconds
-Up to 10% damage reduction with Grim Focus. Grim Focus and Moprhs also have significant damage and heal on proc.
-Heal and Resource regen or Ultimate Regen with one of the cheapest ultimate in the game, Death Stroke
-10% increase to WD and SD when attacking from invisibility or sneak
-Alot of Heals and Resource Regeneration on enemy kill - extremely good sustain when dealing with trash packs
-Can be build to have a lot of crit thanks to Assassination - Pressure Points passive that increases crit the more Assassination skills you have on your bar
-Passive 10% higher Crit Damage (Hemorrhage Passive)
1. Inherently high crit, with in built execute, the nightblade is designed to kill, and regenerates resources each time they kill.
2. If played as healer, a majority of NB's class heals are HoTs but they come with a DPS component and can be layered allowing you to keep up extremely high health sustain, while dealing decent damage at the same time. Also has access to one of the strongest burst heals at the cost of your own HP.
3. If played as tank, base health will not be as high as a natural tank class such as Dragon Knights, however this is easily solved with stat distribution and equipment. The Nightblade also has access to a lot of Evasion, HoT and Regeneration as per the above to keep them going even when facing down the strongest of bosses.