The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Maelstrom Arena

CMDR_Un1k0rn
CMDR_Un1k0rn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I'm guessing that there is a minimum damage requirement for this arena?

Tried it for the first time today knowing nothing about it. Still don't TBH.

When I look to tackle this arena should I adjust my build to a balance between damage and survival?

I... Kinda' went in on a pure tank build.

LOL

:P
In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a bajillion guides for it for each class and spec. Definitely need damage.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that there is a minimum damage requirement for this arena?

Its almost like you need damage to kill the mobs or something, crazy concept, I know right.

PS: I also did my first vMA clear on a heavy armor PvP build with sword/shield. Would not recommend.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 24, 2019 6:50PM
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You need a certain amount of burst to take mobs down before they become troublesome. If you try to slow and steady MA, the mobs/mechanics/environment will build and overwhelm you.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'd say it's definitely best to be a DPS type with some sustain and defense as well. As they suggested already, there are detailed guides online. What helped me the most was just practicing for a few hours a day for a few days in-a-row to learn the mechanics. I was also high-level and had really good gear.
    Options
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biggest thing in vMA is juggling mechanics. A little bit of extra defense from monster sets like bloodspawn, chudan, or ice heart (if mag) can help alleviate some of the burden. Often burst damage is more important that having the best DPS setup since there are windows of opportunity to attack. Damage wise there are advantages of you hit harder because you can skip or shorten certain mechanics like the last boss fight where you can actually skip the first cremetorial guard. That said the real minimum is only like 20-25k solo damage. Mechanics are more important and it plays like a hybrid between pve and pvp since you are expected to be more self sufficient then most pve content however you need to put out more consistent damage then most pvp builds can do.
    Options
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    You need a certain amount of burst to take mobs down before they become troublesome. If you try to slow and steady MA, the mobs/mechanics/environment will build and overwhelm you.

As I learned today.

As ever guys, thank you and I will begin looking at guides so I can figure out how I will clear the arena.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

As I learned today.

As ever guys, thank you and I will begin looking at guides so I can figure out how I will clear the arena.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/381682/joys-new-and-improved-guide-to-beating-maelstrom-arena/p1

I recommend this one.
    Options
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the arena just with my crafted gear on vet first time... when the damage was worse than this patch and the cp was lower...it just needs patience and you need to learn how the arenas work.

Once you get through, it will be a breeze next time.

you can do it! :)
    Edited by HappyLittleTree on October 25, 2019 8:11AM
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best Defense is a good Offense. There is no substitute for arena experience, but as a general rule, kill stuff before it kills you. Learning to prioritize targets is the most important thing. This is more important in the beginning until you really get a handle on spawn locations, because there are going to be times when you get behind and have have 4-6 enemies that need to be dealt with. Healers>Ranged Characters>Melee Characters, as a general rule.

My best advice on gear is to take pretty much a glass cannon setup, and dial it back a bit. One or two health enchants on the big armor pieces, one or two regen pieces for jewelry, and perhaps a monster set to compensate for any remaining weaknesses as opposed to just raw damage. Sets like Vicious Ophidian and False God are really strong in the arena.

When learning, dont be afraid to grab every damn sigil in that place. I would also advise using trash pots while learning, unless money is no object for you in game.

Magic is generally easier than stam to learn with, but if all you play is stam in game, play stam in the arena. The best VMA class for your first clear is the one you play the most.

The arena is perfectly doable at 160 CP and purple gear, so dont let that get in your head. Too many people spend more time worrying about their build then practicing the arena. Everyone bangs their head against that place for a while.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on October 25, 2019 3:59PM
    Options
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vma is alot of memorization for me. I had to keep going back untill i memeorized everything. You have to learn mechanics its a must.
    Options
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely all mechanics and that means practice is the real solution. There are tricks that can help but they only make sense in context. It's good to try to remember where key enimes spawn as there is always a priority for which target you take down first. As many have said there are a lot of guides but it's worth just going for it and asking questions if you get stuck.
    Options
  • Vajrak
    Vajrak
    ✭✭✭
    12k DPS consistent is the bar you want to hit for, the rest can go to survival. 20k is enough to ignore most of the mechanics except for hp% triggers (Frost Giant Matron). 30k with decent survival is enough to knock it out in 30 minutes if you don't mind forcing a few deaths.
    Options