The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Enchanting system update soon?

Solariken
Solariken
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Don't you think an update to the enchanting system is long overdue? The current system became outdated/obsolete with One Tamriel. In my opinion you should eliminate glyph "levels" and level requirements and just make all glyphs one power level. Then re-purpose all the old lesser runes to provide different types of benefits. The possibilities are endless but here are some ideas to snack on:
  • Increase speed
  • Snare an enemy
  • Grant buffs like Minor Brutality, Minor Sorcery, et al
  • Reduce skill costs for X seconds
  • Increase enemy skill costs for X seconds
  • Cause an enemy to instantly dismount
  • Deals Oblivion damage over time
  • Grant resists for X seconds
  • Increase recovery stats by X% for Y seconds

Bonus suggestion:
Do the same for Alchemy, where you can gain different benefits based on the type of solvent used.

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think it's obsolete?

Your suggestion is purely towards pvp and you "seem" to forget that you can get almost all of those "buffs/unbuffs" you propose from other sources.

I think you aren't seeing the big picture....
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Your suggestion is purely towards pvp and you "seem" to forget that you can get almost all of those "buffs/unbuffs" you propose from other sources.

The beauty of ESO buildcraft is options and fluidity. Does it matter if I can get certain boons from other sources?

How is the leveling system not obsolete? Have you leveled a character recently?? A low level enchant is either a) viable for 5 minutes of playtime, or b) battle-leveled to max level anyway (One Tamriel addition). Ergo it doesn't make a lick of sense to keep the system as-is.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have 8 chars in EU, I'm leveling a char in NA. You are low level for a few time or not, depends on the player's effort. As in everything in this game.

Your arguments for claiming the current system is obsolete aren't strong as you think they are.

And yes, it matters if you have other sources available for boons. What's the point of having the same stuff from numerous sources?! Standardization? Isn't that what we are trying to stop ZOS from doing in this game?!
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

The beauty of ESO buildcraft is options and fluidity. Does it matter if I can get certain boons from other sources?

How is the leveling system not obsolete? Have you leveled a character recently?? A low level enchant is either a) viable for 5 minutes of playtime, or b) battle-leveled to max level anyway (One Tamriel addition). Ergo it doesn't make a lick of sense to keep the system as-is.

I make training gear complete with low level enchants, just because many players rush levels at grinding spots does not mean all do. I get plenty of people in the guilds I am in who level by questing they get good use out of the gear/enchants included for far longer than those that grind to 50, quite simply because some players like to take their sweet time leveling their characters.

Just because you don't find it useful does not mean its not used by others, I make a point of keeping a large stock of low level mats including low level potency glyphs to make others low level gear, whether that be a training set, a low level version of a crafted set used at max level, or a low level crafted PVP set up.

As for the being buffed to CP160 that ends eventually, players need to learn how to gear up their characters or they are in for a shock at first. I have seen plenty of newer players complaining that there low level characters can do more damage than their max leveled character, not understanding why that is until someone zone chat enlightens them either in a friendly or patronizing way depending on who is around to answer their questions.

The buffs you suggest adding to enchanting you can get from other sources in game and they don't all stack, if your already getting a buff from a skill or a potion you get not added benefit from also getting it from an Enchantment since, the same minor or major buffs wont stack.

By all means add more stuff to Enchanting and Alchemy but I see no reason to fix what is not broken.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt mind all of the crafts getting a redo for levels closer to jewelrycrafting, but your effects are badly thought out.

Some of them, like instantly dismounting, are just overpowered for PVP. There's no defending an enchant that lets you ignore all stamina upgrades. Single best enchant for gankers ever - one shot and a large part of their work is done.

A number of them simply duplicate the effects of poisons, like cost poisons, unless you want you enchant to be even more powerful via costing all skills not making a choice of stam/mag. In which case, that's again rather overpowered. Otherwise, there's no reason to not use a poison.

Others are effects that ZOS specifically parses out to different classes, skills, gear, and potions in order to force players to make a choice. Players have to min/max to get the effects they want. Adding those effects to enchantments is basically a plea to "let me have my cake and eat it too" when combined with gear, skills, or potions.

So while I understand the leveling issues, I'm not a fan of your suggestions for adding effects to enchanting. Enchanting is one of several crafts that offers different unique buffs. Between enchanting, poisons, potions, jewelry traits, gear effects and skills, all of those have unique reasons for players to use them in their builds. We don't need more duplication of effects. If Enchanting gets more effects, they need to be balanced with the other effects and not merely duplicates or overpowered.
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love your thinking, yes more diversity and building options. Its the core part of the game, this suggestion needs to happen @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the OP’s idea ... which gives more options for enchanting.

Details need to be fleshed out, however.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on October 18, 2019 4:33PM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »

I make training gear complete with low level enchants, just because many players rush levels at grinding spots does not mean all do. I get plenty of people in the guilds I am in who level by questing they get good use out of the gear/enchants included for far longer than those that grind to 50, quite simply because some players like to take their sweet time leveling their characters.

Just because you don't find it useful does not mean its not used by others, I make a point of keeping a large stock of low level mats including low level potency glyphs to make others low level gear, whether that be a training set, a low level version of a crafted set used at max level, or a low level crafted PVP set up.

As for the being buffed to CP160 that ends eventually, players need to learn how to gear up their characters or they are in for a shock at first. I have seen plenty of newer players complaining that there low level characters can do more damage than their max leveled character, not understanding why that is until someone zone chat enlightens them either in a friendly or patronizing way depending on who is around to answer their questions.

The buffs you suggest adding to enchanting you can get from other sources in game and they don't all stack, if your already getting a buff from a skill or a potion you get not added benefit from also getting it from an Enchantment since, the same minor or major buffs wont stack.

By all means add more stuff to Enchanting and Alchemy but I see no reason to fix what is not broken.

I'm not sure how you can say that with a straight face... If you do one battleground and one dungeon on a single day via the group finder you just gained like 5 levels. What do you do? Just run around picking flowers and killing mudcrabs?
    I wouldnt mind all of the crafts getting a redo for levels closer to jewelrycrafting, but your effects are badly thought out.

Some of them, like instantly dismounting, are just overpowered for PVP. There's no defending an enchant that lets you ignore all stamina upgrades. Single best enchant for gankers ever - one shot and a large part of their work is done.

How is dismounting overpowered? AC Caltrops have been a thing since launch.
    A number of them simply duplicate the effects of poisons, like cost poisons, unless you want you enchant to be even more powerful via costing all skills not making a choice of stam/mag. In which case, that's again rather overpowered. Otherwise, there's no reason to not use a poison.

Others are effects that ZOS specifically parses out to different classes, skills, gear, and potions in order to force players to make a choice. Players have to min/max to get the effects they want. Adding those effects to enchantments is basically a plea to "let me have my cake and eat it too" when combined with gear, skills, or potions.

There is still plenty of choice involved. If I want to add a snare enchant, it means I'm sacrificing damage or another powerful buff like 452 weapon/spell dmg.
    So while I understand the leveling issues, I'm not a fan of your suggestions for adding effects to enchanting. Enchanting is one of several crafts that offers different unique buffs. Between enchanting, poisons, potions, jewelry traits, gear effects and skills, all of those have unique reasons for players to use them in their builds. We don't need more duplication of effects. If Enchanting gets more effects, they need to be balanced with the other effects and not merely duplicates or overpowered.

I'm not even sure what you're saying here. I think you agree that enchanting should be fun and powerful... but you also think it's "good enough"? The vertical progression aspect is a joke since One Tamriel. It needs to be updated and use the old assets for new purposes.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how you can say that with a straight face... If you do one battleground and one dungeon on a single day via the group finder you just gained like 5 levels. What do you do? Just run around picking flowers and killing mudcrabs?

How is dismounting overpowered? AC Caltrops have been a thing since launch.

There is still plenty of choice involved. If I want to add a snare enchant, it means I'm sacrificing damage or another powerful buff like 452 weapon/spell dmg.

I'm not even sure what you're saying here. I think you agree that enchanting should be fun and powerful... but you also think it's "good enough"? The vertical progression aspect is a joke since One Tamriel. It needs to be updated and use the old assets for new purposes.

I agree that since One Tamriel, the leveling system for crafts has been...odd. There's a reason ZOS simplified the leveling for jewelry crafting.

As for the rest, you seem to ignore that part of the choice is between using a potion, a gear set, or a skill to get certain effects. Even the example of Caltrops dismounting is a choice - in order to get the dismounting effect, you must take a certain morph and use that skill, which is significantly different and more costly than a procced enchantment.

Enchanting doesn't need to be able to duplicate effects that you can get elsewhere. I'd rather have unique and balanced effects.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Once you hit level 30, the levels stop coming as fast, even on lower level gear you can use it when your 10 levels above without issue just switching to a higher level weapon as you go, in PVE especially sets with good bonuses or static bonuses that have the same 5th piece bonus regardless of the character level, Night-mothers and Seducers come to mind.

People tend to order training gear for levels 4/10/20/30/40, many bank that gear for future alts, CP training gear is only ever made an used once.

From level 10/20/30/40 onward also get people that order Impen versions so they can do battlegrounds or under 50 Cyrodiil.

When I say training or low level PVP gear, I don't mean a white set of gear with the trait handed to whoever requested it, I mean a full set of blue or purple gear with enchants to match, people get plenty of use out of it.

I see no issue with players that wan't to be prepared rather than use random drops as they level regardless of it being crafted or dropped gear players will out level it eventually.

I know more than a few players that have never set foot inside a dungeon or battleground, because they don't interest them, they play this game like the single player Elder scrolls games, only joining trade guilds to make a bit of coin on the side.

More than a few players have no desire to grind to 50 as quick as they can, even know a few crazies(at least as far as I am concerned) Who don't use XP scrolls or the buff from events because they want to take there time leveling.

As for the part about running around picking flowers and killing Mudcrabs, sometimes I do on my CP810+ character, when I am traveling somewhere in the overland, you want to run past gold sitting on the ground, that's up to you.

Many of those flowers your in such a rush to run past are selling for anywhere from 40 - 400+ gold a piece in guild stores and Mudcrab Chittin is priced around 80 - 300 gold depending on the guild trader, level does not matter when you pick those up and list them in guild stores.

Simplest way I can condense my argument for those that have less interest in reading all I write is this, not everyone chooses to level as fast as they possibly can, some don't have the extra time to waste grinding levels and want to enjoy the game in their limited play time by actually playing the game.

I know plenty of people that continue to use crafted gear once they hit the CP cap so they don't have to spend time farming sets in content and can get on with the game the way they want to play.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Once you hit level 30, the levels stop coming as fast, even on lower level gear you can use it when your 10 levels above without issue just switching to a higher level weapon as you go, in PVE especially sets with good bonuses or static bonuses that have the same 5th piece bonus regardless of the character level, Night-mothers and Seducers come to mind.

People tend to order training gear for levels 4/10/20/30/40, many bank that gear for future alts, CP training gear is only ever made an used once.

From level 10/20/30/40 onward also get people that order Impen versions so they can do battlegrounds or under 50 Cyrodiil.

When I say training or low level PVP gear, I don't mean a white set of gear with the trait handed to whoever requested it, I mean a full set of blue or purple gear with enchants to match, people get plenty of use out of it.

I see no issue with players that wan't to be prepared rather than use random drops as they level regardless of it being crafted or dropped gear players will out level it eventually.

I know more than a few players that have never set foot inside a dungeon or battleground, because they don't interest them, they play this game like the single player Elder scrolls games, only joining trade guilds to make a bit of coin on the side.

More than a few players have no desire to grind to 50 as quick as they can, even know a few crazies(at least as far as I am concerned) Who don't use XP scrolls or the buff from events because they want to take there time leveling.

As for the part about running around picking flowers and killing Mudcrabs, sometimes I do on my CP810+ character, when I am traveling somewhere in the overland, you want to run past gold sitting on the ground, that's up to you.

Many of those flowers your in such a rush to run past are selling for anywhere from 40 - 400+ gold a piece in guild stores and Mudcrab Chittin is priced around 80 - 300 gold depending on the guild trader, level does not matter when you pick those up and list them in guild stores.

Simplest way I can condense my argument for those that have less interest in reading all I write is this, not everyone chooses to level as fast as they possibly can, some don't have the extra time to waste grinding levels and want to enjoy the game in their limited play time by actually playing the game.

I know plenty of people that continue to use crafted gear once they hit the CP cap so they don't have to spend time farming sets in content and can get on with the game the way they want to play.

That's all fine and good. None of that has any bearing on whether the enchanting system should remain vertical. It's just added tedium. A horizontal system with lots of options would be much better IMO.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's all fine and good. None of that has any bearing on whether the enchanting system should remain vertical. It's just added tedium. A horizontal system with lots of options would be much better IMO.

Fair enough, I am not opposed to adding to the system, just don't think what we have now should be scrapped is all.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why single out enchanting? Low-level gear is generally of less use than max-level, and CP <160 gear is the most hilariously niched of all.

Ditto consumables.

• Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why single out enchanting? Low-level gear is generally of less use than max-level, and CP <160 gear is the most hilariously niched of all.

Ditto consumables.

That's a great point. Low CP items are the biggest joke of all.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enchanting is absolutely the most neglected craft.
    We routinely get new set crafting stations, food recipes and even alchemy ingredients.
    But the only time enchanting got a new addition was the Hakeijo rune 4 years ago.

It's really embarrassing.

Frankly, I'm still upset they re-imagined enchanting so much from other TES games. Trapping the soul of an enemy and binding it to an item is such a cool concept, and they replace it with something that doesn't feels totally generic and disconnected from the game world - and yet still use soul gems to recharge enchantments, which doesn't make any sense in their system and is just a leftover inconvenience from RPG systems with actual disadvantages.

Personally, I'd at least replace potency or aspect runes with different levels of soul gems. Binding boss souls to your weapons would be so much cooler than whatever it is we have now.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do think streamlining the potency runes would be a good thing. We have too many of them...since launch. It was also goofy that they straddled the various levels. Jora is 1-10, then Porade (?) is 5-15, and so on. So, there are more levels/ranks of potency runes than there are gear levels.

So, I think some streamlining wouldn't be amiss, esp. considering that you can now enchant gear with lower level runes, so levels don't have to be exact (though the power of the enchantment will be less).

In regard to battle-leveling, gear upgrades are still necessary as Level 4 gear won't continue to provide the same bonuses at, say, level 40. Gear becomes less effective as you level up, so that level 1 enchantment on your level 4 gear won't be nearly as good at level 40. So, new gear still needs to be crafted, though I don't think every 10 levels is necessary, esp. if you've got good sets that are improved to blue or purple, with the best enchantments for that level.

It works the same way with consumables. Lower level consumables become less effective the higher level you are, necessitating upgrading your consumables as you progress. Unless you're using consumables that level with your character (like the CS tripots or some of the holiday foods/drinks).

I also think it would be nice to add a new enchantment effect or two. As someone else pointed out, we've had new effects added to alchemy, as well as the addition of poisons.