The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

[Hireling Mail Timer] Request for Quality of Life convenience change

Dusk_Coven
Dusk_Coven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
A change to Hireling deliveries would be a profound Quality of Life improvement for players, especially those with multiple crafters.

Currently with the 24-hour timer for Hirelings, the schedule inches forward constantly due to in-game mail delay, login issues, connection issues, in-game activities with guilds/friends, and even scheduled maintenance.

A simple change to Hirelings (and the Shadowy Supplier) to deliver once per day AT ANY TIME (similar to Daily Rewards) would remove all sorts of inconveniences.

The 12-hour timer requires players to login twice AND doubles the issue of the timer constantly getting pushed forward. Consolidating that delivery into a single once-per-day-any-time delivery would help immensely (and save the server from having to deliver two mails instead of just one).

IDEALLY, dropping the entire delivery from Hirelings (and the Shadowy Supplier) into the Crafting Bag automatically without logging in at all would be best.

Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 14, 2019 8:34PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see a 10 hour timer instead of a 12 hour. I expect Zos specifically made the full hireling benefit 12 hours vs 24 hours with a specific reason in mind so shortening it a little is probably the best that will happen.

BTW, similar requests have happened to no avail and the threads do not stay active very long.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    A change to Hireling deliveries would be a profound Quality of Life improvement for players, especially those with multiple crafters.

Currently with the 24-hour timer for Hirelings, the schedule inches forward constantly due to in-game mail delay, login issues, connection issues, in-game activities with guilds/friends, and even scheduled maintenance.

This is why I put the extra "3rd" point in. I know they'll be up each day when I do my writs, since at least 12 hours were to have elapsed since I logged in on that character. I MIGHT attempt to get a "double" delivery on the weekend, when I have more time. I treat the 3rd point in the passive as my "daily" reward, instead of trying to squeeze out two a day and manage the timers
    A simple change to Hirelings (and the Shadowy Supplier) to deliver once per day AT ANY TIME (similar to Daily Rewards) would remove all sorts of inconveniences.

The 12-hour timer requires players to login twice AND doubles the issue of the timer constantly getting pushed forward. Consolidating that delivery into a single once-per-day-any-time delivery would help immensely (and save the server from having to deliver two mails instead of just one).

I don't think you should feel required to login twice to get the rewards... but that's just me.
    IDEALLY, dropping the entire delivery from Hirelings (and the Shadowy Supplier) into the Crafting Bag automatically without logging in at all would be best.

I'm honestly surprised to see you suggest this... since you've made some pretty strong arguments in other threads against the proliferation of materials and writ vouchers in particular. And this would help dump an astronomical amount of materials into people's craft bags without any work on their part.

I cannot ever imagine a game company give you rewards like this without requiring you to actually log into the game/character.

Now, if you wanted the hireling "mails" to go straight into your craft bag upon logging into a character... that I'd be all for!
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised to see you suggest this... since you've made some pretty strong arguments in other threads against the proliferation of materials and writ vouchers in particular. And this would help dump an astronomical amount of materials into people's craft bags without any work on their part.

People are already using the Hirelings, it's not quite the same as adding even more.

In any case, the main cause of the proposal is the many and assorted timing inconveniences. Like the X-Box Service interruption now (Oct-14 ~5.30pm PST) and Steam service interruptions we've had in the past.
    No idea how long a service interruption will last. No need to add insult to injury by missing your daily allowances and changing your future schedule to accommodate on top of not being able to play.

And how about having to ask your friend whispering you for a favour that you need 30 minutes to log all your hirelings and wait for the mail to come in before logging out, just in case you log out seconds too early and completely miss a delivery.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 15, 2019 12:41AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People are already using the Hirelings, it's not quite the same as adding even more.

In any case, the main cause of the proposal is the many and assorted timing inconveniences. Like the X-Box Service interruption now (Oct-14 ~5.30pm PST) and Steam service interruptions we've had in the past.
    No idea how long a service interruption will last. No need to add insult to injury by missing your daily allowances and changing your future schedule to accommodate on top of not being able to play.

And how about having to ask your friend whispering you for a favour that you need 30 minutes to log all your hirelings and wait for the mail to come in before logging out, just in case you log out seconds too early and completely miss a delivery.

Now that I'm back in the school year, there are days that I don't log onto certain characters, I simply don't have time. So, those would still get their hireling bags, while doing nothing, I just can't see ZoS going for that.

...and if a friend asked me for something, or they need somebody for a trial/dungeon/etc... I usually just forgo getting the hireling mails myself. Then again, I'm on the 3/3 in the passive, but only collect once a day boat. I know that each day I log into a character, I will get at least one set of hireling mails, which is what I see the benefit of the 3rd skill point as being. After all, you don't get any better rewards from 3/3 than you do from 2/3.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Dawnblade
    Dawnblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiring supplies should be claimable once per day (anytime during the day - not 24 / 12 hrs from last claim), with the different ranks simply changing the quality and quantity provided.
    Edited by Dawnblade on October 15, 2019 9:12PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dawnblade wrote: »
    Hiring supplies should be claimable once per day (anytime during the day - not 24 / 12 hrs from last claim), with the different ranks simply changing the quality and quantity provided.

I don’t think ZOS would go for that either, @Dawnblade ... since you’re not logged in to claim a reward you would normally get from being in-game after the 12-hour mark.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t agree with the auto craft bag for hireling mail, but I don’t understand why it can’t be with a cooldown like riding lessons.

I have 2/3 skill points in hirelings because I play throughout the day. I do crafting writs on alts first, then switch to my main for the rest of the day. I usually get online early, but if I’m busy and don’t log in until hours later, then the next day I don’t get the hireling mail for the alts. Logging in a second time just to get mail on them is more effort than I think is necessary.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• miscreant7
    I had thought that resetting hireling mail at a specific time each day would be good. For example Undaunted dailies reset at (for my time zone) 2 am, so have hireling mail reset at 2am and 2 pm. It eliminates time creep and it would still only drop 2 times a day max. I would like to be able to log into one character and get all the mail at once, but hold less hope of that happening.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Logged in fine this morning but now getting login errors repeatedly. No idea how long it's going to last. Already missed my hireling mail scheduled time to once again it's going to get pushed forward.

This is the sort of delay that makes the current 24-hour timer such a chore and why a change would be a huge Quality of Life improvement for everyone. @ZOS_GinaBruno

UPDATE: For a while I could log back in so I did 3 of my toons. Then the login issue reappeared so now I have at least 2 groups of toons on a different timer meaning everything gets pushed back even further. What already takes over a half hour is now going to take much longer.
    you don't get any better rewards from 3/3 than you do from 2/3.
    The main point of 3/3 is two shipments instead of one. If you are getting the same net materials from two shipments as from one shipment then it's broken.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 19, 2019 8:36PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logged in fine this morning but now getting login errors repeatedly. No idea how long it's going to last. Already missed my hireling mail scheduled time to once again it's going to get pushed forward.

This is the sort of delay that makes the current 24-hour timer such a chore and why a change would be a huge Quality of Life improvement for everyone. @ZOS_GinaBruno
    you don't get any better rewards from 3/3 than you do from 2/3.
    The main point of 3/3 is two shipments instead of one. If you are getting the same net materials from two shipments as from one shipment then it's broken.

not what I meant at all... definitely don't get more from 2 than 1... and you know that already.

I use the 3/3 to guarantee myself 1 shipment a day... so I don't have to play this whole juggling game. It works for me. You don't like it, you can play "beat the timer" each and everyday.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You don't like it, you can play "beat the timer" each and everyday.

That's the point. I shouldn't have to. It's not the intended purpose of 3/3

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't like it, you can play "beat the timer" each and everyday.

That's the point. I shouldn't have to. It's not the intended purpose of 3/3

If this is your biggest or even one of your biggest issues with the game you are in great shape.

Considering this thread is on life support with only 13 posts (including this one) after 5 days it tells Zos this "issue" is not that important and it is not. Most of us do not fret if we missed an login for hireling.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when we had 8 slots, it was slightly inconvenient to play beat the timer. One day was always skip to maintain the schedule, even with 3 points.

Now, I would like either 10/20 hour timers or a true 3 tiers and a single 20 hour timer. Then again, I have wanted that since beta. But, you have to log in to get the emails. No one should get mats without logging in. To allow that would tank the economy.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Back when we had 8 slots, it was slightly inconvenient to play beat the timer. One day was always skip to maintain the schedule, even with 3 points.

Now, I would like either 10/20 hour timers or a true 3 tiers and a single 20 hour timer. Then again, I have wanted that since beta. But, you have to log in to get the emails. No one should get mats without logging in. To allow that would tank the economy.

This is the suggestion made above. It is also much more likely to get attention from Zos to adjust the timers rather than what OP is suggesting.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Extra Long Maintenance DLC Day! Another reason to tweak how the Hireling Timer works please. @ZOS_GinaBruno

ADDENDUM: With PC(EU) having extended issues, auto-deposit into the Crafting Bag would be best but even once-per-day-anytime collection would be good.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 21, 2019 8:19PM
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Have to agree here with the 10/20 hour timer change. Make it the standardization in the game. Players, new and old, get confused or frustrated when you switch back an forth. Is it a 20 hour or is this one a 24hour? The 10/20 hour allows for some leeway for players.

Would like to see a QoL change to add a timer count down tab. Go to a character sheet tab and view what All active 10/20 hour timers you currently have going on that character. Of course short term timers would stay as they are, potions, spells, buffs and de-biffs.. etc. Allow a toggle on the long term timers to show or not, could always have the defaults as no display.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by Grimm13 on October 21, 2019 7:20PM
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_SarahHecker I think a QoL change of once-per-day-anytime Hireling mail collection would be wonderful for EU people who are hit by what seems to be a recurring can't-login issue.
  • Razzledazzle_dar
    Razzledazzle_dar
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I saw this above so I'll add it in case it hasn't been said.

I believe requiring the login based on the 12/24 timer was originally (and may still be) intended as yet another incentive to try and get you to log in on a regular basis or schedule, or at least once per day. If the items were auto-deposited regardless of login, it would drop the incentive to get you physically in the game at that time.
    AD PC/NA
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I believe requiring the login based on the 12/24 timer was originally (and may still be) intended as yet another incentive to try and get you to log in on a regular basis or schedule, or at least once per day. If the items were auto-deposited regardless of login, it would drop the incentive to get you physically in the game at that time.

Please read the original post. You've missed the main point.
    This is the sort of Quality of Life change that would avoid situations like https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498285/this-maintenance-is-beyond-unacceptable
    They WANT to login. But they couldn't
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 24, 2019 7:14AM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please read the original post. You've missed the main point.
    This is the sort of Quality of Life change that would avoid situations like https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498285/this-maintenance-is-beyond-unacceptable
    They WANT to login. But they couldn't

You're quibbling over less than 1k worth of materials on average. If missing a hireling is the biggest issue you've got in life, consider yourself lucky. We all miss a lot of things in-game, and even in real life. You can't have everything.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You're quibbling over less than 1k worth of materials on average. If missing a hireling is the biggest issue you've got in life, consider yourself lucky. We all miss a lot of things in-game, and even in real life. You can't have everything.

With this type of position why should anyone post any feedback or suggestions on the forums at all? It's just a game! You might as well answer "grow up and STFU" to anyone who posts.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Timers are fine as they are.

If anyone misses a hireling once or twice, the sky won't fall.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With this type of position why should anyone post any feedback or suggestions on the forums at all? It's just a game! You might as well answer "grow up and STFU" to anyone who posts.

Ah... logical fallacies.

Nowhere did I say you can't make suggestions...

I'm just very curious because you've had some very good, well thought-out ideas on other topics, places where you've had a civil debate with others, I just find it very curious that this seems to be a hill you're willing to die on, when it is so very minor in the grand scheme of the game.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Timers are fine as they are.

If anyone misses a hireling once or twice, the sky won't fall.

If you’re like me, you miss all hirelings - 1 (your main) unless you relog all of them.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno The recent server disruptions to EU resulting in all PC server maintenance -- this is the sort of thing that can be very disruptive to schedules on top of daily time creep as to when alts need to be logged in.
    I hope the timers can get looked at at some point and maybe made into a more convenient once-per-day-anytime pickup like the Daily Login Rewards.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with several of these ideas:

- Reset the timer Just like it resets for picking up the crafting dailies now. Tying it to that reset makes sense.
    - Give more feedback on timers. I posted in the past that we should have a research timer listing as well. Let me know how much time the character has for certain benefits.
    - Automatically put deliveries in my craft bag, don't make me slog through the emails to get it. That would also remove the risk of missing out on some because I let my mailbox fill up. (10-11 characters can fill the mail far too quickly with these.)

I would also like a way to view all these timers (including the riding timer if it is still valuable) for all my characters in one place, rather than having to log into each character. Putting this on the login screen would work. Having something viewable when logged in would also work. I know the game doesn't have this now for all the naysayers about any new idea, but it would be a great QoL improvement.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DIdn't it used to be you could log in after like 3 days and they would be in your mail (regardless having to log in every 12 hours ) or have I made this up in my mind and made it somewhat canon ?
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DIdn't it used to be you could log in after like 3 days and they would be in your mail (regardless having to log in every 12 hours ) or have I made this up in my mind and made it somewhat canon ?

It's any time after the cooldown period that you'd get the mail. So if you had one hireling you'd that one delivery from that hireling. But you get ONE delivery from that hireling whether you logged in 24 or 240 hours after the last time you got a delivery.
    If you have tier 3 it's one delivery any time after 12 hours since you got your last delivery you collected by logging in.

Maybe they changed it from before, but as far as I know, right now they don't pile up waiting for you to collect and suddenly flood your mailbox when you log in.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 27, 2019 3:12AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they changed it from before, but as far as I know, right now they don't pile up waiting for you to collect and suddenly flood your mailbox when you log in.

They do if you have 10 or 11 characters on a server!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They do if you have 10 or 11 characters on a server!

Ah I guess I wasn't completely clear. What I meant was, for a particular character.
    Yes, if you have multiple characters, when you log on to each, they each will get a delivery and of course if you don't collect that delivery and just continue to log each of your characters, it'll start to pile up in your mailbox.