The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagSorc, Max Magic, Spell Damage, Spell Critical

sonwon.1_ESO
sonwon.1_ESO
✭✭✭
Looking for opinions.

What values for max magic, spell damage, and spell critical should a PVE MagSorc strive for?

Also running one pet for health boost.

With food and potions I am currently running ,

37k magic
20k health
11k stamina
3600 spell damage
50% spell critical

I am wondering if I should give up some spell damage and spell critical for higher max magic?

And for PVP what values should I plan for after I ditch the pet?

Best Answers

• Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not forget to take Physical/Spell penetration into account as since enemies in the PvE environment have a static armor statistic (9100 in the Overland, 18200 in group dungeons/trials.) Which effectively mitigate a good portion of damage, using debuffs such as Minor/Major Fracture/Breach, crushing enchantments or even increasing penetration through CP can alleviate this concern.

wearing 5 pieces of light armor can grant 4884 spell penetration through a light armor passive.

Some armor sets grant a flat number of penetration.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
    Answer ✓
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good point. My spell penetration is just over 9k. I suppose this could be higher for dungs and trials.

So would it be better to give up 238 spell damage for 3.5k more spell penetration or increase spell damage. Or should I just push my spell penetration to 18k and loose even more spell damage and maybe critical chance? I don't think I want a lower magic pool because the damage from some of the skills take a hit which was why I was originally considering increasing the max magic.

The Lover Mundus Stone grants extra physical and spell penetration, coupled with the Concentration passive, it will be more than enough to cement a good level of penetration.

More accurately, in Both solo and group content (excluding cyrodiil), you only need to get as close to 8590 Physical or spell penetration, through certain armor passives, lover mundus, some armor sets(entirely optional) and whatever is left remaining can be filled in with the Piercing Champion Points to fill the gap. Can’t go any higher than 8590 for a very good reason.

In overland content, enemies have 9100 resistances, with the penetration explained above, all it takes is one debuff such as major/minor breach/fracture to hit the cap for overland content to ensure your abilities hit at the peak of their power and melt through them like a hot knife through butter.

In group content such as Group Dungeons, Trials and Arenas, the enemies resistances go as far as 18200, thus it is wise to bring along some group members, one with alkosh if they happen to have already done maw of Lorkhaj, and the rest to bring along abilities with Major and Minor Fracture/Breach to maximise group DPS as a whole(Combining the Alkosh debuff with minor and major fracture/breach will reduce the enemies resistances down to 8590 which is where your own penetration values come in.), if a group member does not have alkosh, don’t fret, A staff, two-handed or bow with the crusher enchantment will make a good substitute minus the group capability alkosh has as it hits multiple targets within its radius upon activating a synergy.

Long story short: Invest a little in penetration but not too much, Critical hits are not as much of an important factor as they used to be, increasing critical hit chance will make it more likely to land a critical hit, but somehow I know that critical hits are there to compensate for armor penetration, it’s real benefit is greater if properly coupled with penetration which can be extraordinarily difficult, and the critical damage done is another factor which makes it even more difficult as well since at base levels, critical damage sits at about 50% which is like an ability hitting for 1.5X damage, 100% critical damage = 2.0X damage.

Best odds: Go for a little penetration, mix it in with some spell damage for the Magicka build your working with, your recoveries are good(some of the CP allocations can help make it better.) If your using moves that deal damage over time, try weaving some heavy attacks in as they persist since heavy attacks can help with recovering Magicka if your using a staff, better if using a Lightning staff since the Tri-focus passive makes Heavy attacks deal 100% of the damage done to nearby foes.
    Edited by Skullstachio on October 21, 2019 11:35PM
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
    Answer ✓
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't mention regeneration. The combo of max Magicka and its regeneration are what determines whether you can use the next ability, so if you're consistently draining down the resource, you may need more regeneration (or use more heavy attacks).

With all things, it's a question of enough, or no more. Too much penetration, or critical, or whatever, can be wasted if a smaller value gives the same results. And for group content, your needs depend on what everyone else brings. Don't duplicate what the tank or healer is providing.
    Answer ✓
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im rolling with non meta pet sorc build with max magicka:
    - Necropotence + Crafti Alfiq
    - vma lightning staff back bar infused berserker
    - Slimcraw monster set
    Inner light front bar, Shooting star front bar

have 56k magicka, if i remember. With two separate max mag monsters, Bound Aegis front and War Horn, i can go up to 70k, but it's not that profitable actually.

37k dps with Tormentor (was 45k few updates before, with Matriarch lol). Full self sustain with heavy attack rotation.
    Answer ✓
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVE DPS only needs:

35K+ Magicka or Stamina depends on what you use
    17K+ Health
    3000+ Damage Buffed
    50% Critical Chance Unbuffed
    90%+ Critical Damage Buffed
    700+ Magicka or Stamina Recovery depends on what you use

At least 15K on both Spell Resistence and Physical Resistance

That's it, a beautiful PVE DPS Build in my opinion
    Edited by yRaven on October 12, 2019 12:27AM
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • sonwon.1_ESO
    sonwon.1_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reply.

I am running about 80% critical damage and my recoveries are higher, 1200 on magic and 850 on stam both buffed. I also think my resists are close to your suggestion when fully buffed. So I am not far from your specs. So you would not exchange crit chance and spell dam for a higher magic pool. Well I suppose that would depend on if there was sustain problems.

And I've noticed in the build editor that it doesn't appear adding more magic to the pool gives more damage compared to adding more spell damage.

And at what point does it become better to add more critical over more spell damage?
  • sonwon.1_ESO
    sonwon.1_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    That is a good point. My spell penetration is just over 9k. I suppose this could be higher for dungs and trials.

So would it be better to give up 238 spell damage for 3.5k more spell penetration or increase spell damage. Or should I just push my spell penetration to 18k and loose even more spell damage and maybe critical chance? I don't think I want a lower magic pool because the damage from some of the skills take a hit which was why I was originally considering increasing the max magic.
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lover Mundus Stone grants extra physical and spell penetration, coupled with the Concentration passive, it will be more than enough to cement a good level of penetration.

More accurately, in Both solo and group content (excluding cyrodiil), you only need to get as close to 8590 Physical or spell penetration, through certain armor passives, lover mundus, some armor sets(entirely optional) and whatever is left remaining can be filled in with the Piercing Champion Points to fill the gap. Can’t go any higher than 8590 for a very good reason.

In overland content, enemies have 9100 resistances, with the penetration explained above, all it takes is one debuff such as major/minor breach/fracture to hit the cap for overland content to ensure your abilities hit at the peak of their power and melt through them like a hot knife through butter.

In group content such as Group Dungeons, Trials and Arenas, the enemies resistances go as far as 18200, thus it is wise to bring along some group members, one with alkosh if they happen to have already done maw of Lorkhaj, and the rest to bring along abilities with Major and Minor Fracture/Breach to maximise group DPS as a whole(Combining the Alkosh debuff with minor and major fracture/breach will reduce the enemies resistances down to 8590 which is where your own penetration values come in.), if a group member does not have alkosh, don’t fret, A staff, two-handed or bow with the crusher enchantment will make a good substitute minus the group capability alkosh has as it hits multiple targets within its radius upon activating a synergy.

Long story short: Invest a little in penetration but not too much, Critical hits are not as much of an important factor as they used to be, increasing critical hit chance will make it more likely to land a critical hit, but somehow I know that critical hits are there to compensate for armor penetration, it’s real benefit is greater if properly coupled with penetration which can be extraordinarily difficult, and the critical damage done is another factor which makes it even more difficult as well since at base levels, critical damage sits at about 50% which is like an ability hitting for 1.5X damage, 100% critical damage = 2.0X damage.

Best odds: Go for a little penetration, mix it in with some spell damage for the Magicka build your working with, your recoveries are good(some of the CP allocations can help make it better.) If your using moves that deal damage over time, try weaving some heavy attacks in as they persist since heavy attacks can help with recovering Magicka if your using a staff, better if using a Lightning staff since the Tri-focus passive makes Heavy attacks deal 100% of the damage done to nearby foes.

Really excellent advice here.