The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Enchanting help

LBW
LBW
I've leveled my enchanting to 50 and I understand crafting glyphs, however I don't seem to understand applying them to items. I have crafted an epic "Truly superb glyph of increase magical harm" and I wanted to apply this to a ring but it won't let me, it just says I have no enchantments that can apply to this item. Indeed the only item it will let me apply that glyph to is my necklace, which just happens to be the only item I don't want to apply it to as it's a crummy green.
Why can't I use the glyph on a ring or any of my items of clothing?
Can anyone please explain or point me to more info on enchanting please?
Many thanks
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The level of the item has to be equal to or greater then the level of the enchantment. "Truly superb glyph" can only be used on an item level of 160.

Also, there are armor, weapon and jewelry glyphs. You can't swap them around.
    Edited by Ackwalan on October 3, 2019 2:48AM
  • red_bird
    red_bird
    ✭✭
    Also, you might like @BenevolentBowd 's enchanting calculator for a reference. Tell it your level, quality, and kind of enchantment, and it will tell you which runes to use to create it.
    pve on ps4
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some glyphs are for armor, others for weapons and others for jewelry.

To enchant an item, you simply select the item you wish to enchant in the Inventory screen, and choose "Enchant". The Glyph you have must be of the correct type and an appropriate level for the item to be enchanted.

Another site which can help you:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Enchanting
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Glyphs
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember how confused I was when I was just starting with Enchanting and doing writs. "Craft a glyph of such-and-such," except you don't know what the runes mean yet, so the only way to find out is to start crafting glyphs to learn what the runes mean. Aha! I just crafted a glyph of Stamina! Yay, I can turn it in now! Wait, why won't they take it? Eventually I figured out that it was because I'd crafted a green glyph of Stamina, and they wanted a white one ("with Ta"). But until I figured it out, I was pretty frustrated. ;)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since the glyph you crafted could be used to enchant your necklace, I can only assume that the reason it can't be used on your ring is that the ring is CP150 and not CP160. As mentioned above, truly superb glyphs can only be used on CP160 gear.

Also, since it's a jewelry glyph, it can only be used on rings/necklaces and not on your armor or weapons.