The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Question on level scaling and Summerset

wesmacdon
wesmacdon
Soul Shriven
Hey. So I've been in an out of ESO for a while so only lvl 43 still. Can someone explain how scaling works once you get champion points? I'm really fed up of every enemy being a grind to kill. I get that scaling needs to be there but does it EVER get quicker once you get champion points?

In that note - Summerset, some bosses are a nightmare even with scaling. Do I need to level up/get better gear sets etc or is the effect of scaling that they will NEVER get easier?
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bosss will get easier the world bosses in DLC zones tend to be harder than base game ones and it does get easier after 200CP or so which won't take long to get to the gear cap is CP 160.
    Edited by RebornV3x on September 30, 2019 10:25PM
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The world is at CP160 and you are scaled up to match until you hit level 50/CP10. The closer you get to 50 the more important it is to keep your gear as close to your characters level as possible to not feel weak.

Once you hit 50/CP10, try to get to CP160 as quick as possible so you can invest in good gear that you can keep (The gear cap is also CP160).

The game will get a lot easier once you are past CP160 ...
    :smile:

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you hit CP 160, its all up from there. Until then...

The best way to handle the scaling is to keep your gear and especially your weapons close to your level. That way you get the best stat benefits from the scaling. Having gear/weapons that are close to level and, if possible, gear with set piece bonuses will help more than just leveling up.

However, at level 43, you are getting to the point where there is less benefit from the scaling, which makes using your skills effectively more important. Its also really important to start practicing the game's combat. This includes using light attacks in between every skill and paying close attention to game mechanics.

Attributes: you really need to choose Magicka or Stamina, and increase as much of one of those as you can. This should extend to your weapon choice and, as much as you can while leveling, your armor choice as well. (Hybrids are viable at extremely low levels, but require specific gear sets to remain so. The only builds that spec into Health are tanks, and they are generally less effective at questing content.)

Light and Heavy Attacks: depending on your weapon, your light attacks increase their damage with max stamina or magicka. Your heavy attacks restore the same type. For maximum damage with minimal use of resources, you need to cast a skill, then light attack, skill, light attack, and so on. With practice, you can weave a skill and light attack every second. Light attacks alone do a lot of damage, so if you are struggling with a boss, you can do a lot of damage with just light attacks while saving your resources for healing yourself.

Skill Rotations: if you haven't already, now is a good time to look up some skill rotations for your class. Essentially, you'll cast your damage over time skills, buffs, and single target skills in an order that gives you good uptime on the DOTs and buffs, all the while weaving in light attacks. This is more or less the foundation of good DPS in ESO, and unfortunately the game itself won't teach you how to do an effective rotation. Once you start group content, you'll want an effective damage rotation. If you need more specific help, let us know your class and preferred build, i.e. MagSorc or StamDK.

Game Mechanics: knowing when to block, bash, interrupt, heavy attack and roll dodge can really make the combat easier. Interrupting especially makes certain miniboss fights a lot easier (my personal example was harvesters). This is also going to be important as you maybe start trying group content.

Hope this helps!
    If you need more specific help, please let us know your Class and whether you prefer magicka or stamina.
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 30, 2019 10:33PM
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had your problem OP, once you get more accustomed to the gameplay mechanics and learn how to build a character more effectively you'll eventually be melting everything in quests and overland, save for some world bosses, and group dungeons.

But all in all from level 1 to level 50 CP 160 the difficulty of overland doesn't change much. Once you get past cp 160 and gain more CP it starts to get a bit easier but that's like saying you can cut butter with a flaming sword easier than a hot butter knife, the real difference in difficulty will be on how you learn as a player the mechanics of combat and such. You can start out on a new level 1 character and kill any overland quest boss in any zone, almost as easily as a max level character can, but only if you know the in's and out's of how things work. Leveling up skill lines may get you more useful abilities you can use - but you'll have to figure out the best circumstances to use them to get the most out of them.

Do note that the way the scaling works is that it really messes with you if you're using lower level gear than you. If you're level 1 and wearing level 1 armor, the stats will be the same as a max level character wearing max level armor, but if you're level 20 wearing level 1 armor, the stats will be greatly reduced, and so forth, each level higher you are than the weapons/armor you're using.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »
    If you're level 1 and wearing level 1 armor, the stats will be the same as a max level character wearing max level armor, but if you're level 20 wearing level 1 armor, the stats will be greatly reduced, and so forth, each level higher you are than the weapons/armor you're using.

Actually, a level 1 is boosted even beyond a fully decked out CP160. You're not just scaled to CP160, at very low levels you are also notably boosted.
    :wink:

• wesmacdon
    wesmacdon
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to keep plugging away. I'm fairly comfortable with the mechanics (they aren't particularly tricky) but some strategy may need employed against certain bosses. I haven't had any trouble really prior to Summerset. That slug was a nightmare.....
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wesmacdon wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to keep plugging away. I'm fairly comfortable with the mechanics (they aren't particularly tricky) but some strategy may need employed against certain bosses. I haven't had any trouble really prior to Summerset. That slug was a nightmare.....

You definitely arent alone in struggling with K'tora! There were several threads when Summerset came out from players who had trouble with him.

I also found K'tora to be a challenge on my no-CP leveling MagBlade. I wound up beating him by running in a circle around K'tora light attacking him to death, while using my magicka to heal myself and casting AOEs to damage the adds he summoned.

I did have the benefit of doing that before AOEs got nerfed, and on a character with a good self-healing skill.
  • Idhendryon

I'm kind of in the same boat with my DK. But things like K'tora are not meant to be done alone. You can always ask in chat, or wait until they are the target of the daily group quest and do it then. Even if only one or two other players join you it becomes much less of a grind.

You can do them alone of course, but it'll take time, if you don't have good gear yet.
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey. So I've been in an out of ESO for a while so only lvl 43 still. Can someone explain how scaling works once you get champion points? I'm really fed up of every enemy being a grind to kill. I get that scaling needs to be there but does it EVER get quicker once you get champion points?

In that note - Summerset, some bosses are a nightmare even with scaling. Do I need to level up/get better gear sets etc or is the effect of scaling that they will NEVER get easier?

Till you reach level 50 you get scaled up to cp160. After you reach level 50, you get your first champion-points and as far as I noticed the scaling is then gone. You can only go up from therei basicly.

160cp is the current gearlevel-cap. Most veterean content scales to cp300.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you get CPs, you unlock an entirely new levelling system that adds a huge amount of damage, protection and passive abilities to your characters, provided of course you spend the points appropriately.

Overland content is scaled with the beginner/casual player in mind, its supposed to be difficult. But once you progress into CPs, get CP gear and learn to play more, overland content becomes extremely easy.

World bosses are the exception. Base game world bosses are fairly easy and can be soloed. DLC world bosses tend to be much more difficult (like Summerset), or certainly some of them are and require that you are either a very good player indeed or that you team up with others. Getting people to team up together is the main intention.

I would also strongly suggest you seek out a beginner friendly guild, there are many good people out there who are more than happy to help you farm good gear, help you create a build, with skills and a rotation, that will raise your game to the point overland content becomes negligible.

Happy gaming!