The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hybrid-ish Magplar build, suggestions?

Essavias
Essavias
✭✭✭
Hey guys,

First of all - this build is not intended for high-end PvE. Or high-end PvP. Or high-end anything. It's basically intended for overland, vMA and casual vet dungeons/cyro. I doubt at this point, that I'll have time and ability to put effort in to get into trials. I do know that most of those things are possible on any build/any gear for more experienced players, but I'm fairly new, so would appreciate any suggestions on what could be improved gear/abilities wise.

Main idea is to assemble a somewhat competent build that can function as both healer and off-dps in casual vet dungeons, and to just steamroll solo (including non-trivial - I like a challenge) content and possibly trying to solo some dungeons as well.

PvP setup is pretty much set in stone:
BTB jewellery + shock/resto (considering shock/snb?).
Light Shacklebreaker (considering change to Swift).
Bloodspawn H/M.

I don't remember my skills loadout unfortunately for PvP :(

PvE (this includes overland and dungeons as a healer).
BTB jewellery + shock/resto.
Julianos (seems it's the best of the relatively easily acquirable damage sets).
Iceheart H/M. (considering Grothdarr, Slimecraw). Intentionally omitting Skoria there, since dots are getting the shaft soon.

Front bar: Jabs, Purifying light, Radiant oppression, Structured Entropy, Inner Light or Reflective Light (for major prophecy, considering leaving inner light since reflective is also getting a shaft).
Ult: Shooting Star. (Solar prison?)

Back bar: Breath of life, Combat prayer, Radiating Regen, Healing Springs, Extended ritual.
Ult: Aggressive Horn.

Now, I did only non-dlc vet dungeons, as I'm not CP300 yet, and this setup seems to be working quite decent. Again - any critique or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's not really any need for a hybrid Templar. It's mainly melee and what makes Stamplar strong, Magplar has more of.
    PC EU
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Essavias wrote: »
    Hey guys,

First of all - this build is not intended for high-end PvE. Or high-end PvP. Or high-end anything. It's basically intended for overland, vMA and casual vet dungeons/cyro. I doubt at this point, that I'll have time and ability to put effort in to get into trials. I do know that most of those things are possible on any build/any gear for more experienced players, but I'm fairly new, so would appreciate any suggestions on what could be improved gear/abilities wise.

Main idea is to assemble a somewhat competent build that can function as both healer and off-dps in casual vet dungeons, and to just steamroll solo (including non-trivial - I like a challenge) content and possibly trying to solo some dungeons as well.

PvP setup is pretty much set in stone:
    BTB jewellery + shock/resto (considering shock/snb?).
    Light Shacklebreaker (considering change to Swift).
    Bloodspawn H/M.

I don't remember my skills loadout unfortunately for PvP :(

PvE (this includes overland and dungeons as a healer).
    BTB jewellery + shock/resto.
    Julianos (seems it's the best of the relatively easily acquirable damage sets).
    Iceheart H/M. (considering Grothdarr, Slimecraw). Intentionally omitting Skoria there, since dots are getting the shaft soon.

Front bar: Jabs, Purifying light, Radiant oppression, Structured Entropy, Inner Light or Reflective Light (for major prophecy, considering leaving inner light since reflective is also getting a shaft).
    Ult: Shooting Star. (Solar prison?)

Back bar: Breath of life, Combat prayer, Radiating Regen, Healing Springs, Extended ritual.
    Ult: Aggressive Horn.

Now, I did only non-dlc vet dungeons, as I'm not CP300 yet, and this setup seems to be working quite decent. Again - any critique or suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance!

PvP Setup is fine, that's what I run -Skoria and what you consider 'high-end' is probably where I'm at.
    I run Shock/Ice but I'd avoid Ice if I was you and would recommend Fire*/Snb (Depending on what is going on next patch, I haven't read enough)

My skills are:
    Sweeps, Ref Light, Degeneration, Pur light/Flex, Toppling Charge
    Channelled, Race against Time, Ele Drain, HtD, E.Ritual

For PvE, yes, that build of BTB + Julies will be fine.
    Again I haven't kept up to date with all the changes but you can probably switch out reflective light or some skills on your back bar for Shards and or Wall of Elements - For Major Proph, just use a spell power potion (Corn flower, lady smock and water hyacinth?)

For the content you want to complete, you don't need all those heals.

For solo overland content, your PvP or PvE setup will melt adds so it doesn't matter what you run.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Essavias
    Essavias
    ✭✭✭
    There's not really any need for a hybrid Templar. It's mainly melee and what makes Stamplar strong, Magplar has more of.

Sorry, I should've made that clear - it's a dps/heal hybrid, not a stam/mag.
  • Essavias
    Essavias
    ✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

PvP Setup is fine, that's what I run -Skoria and what you consider 'high-end' is probably where I'm at.
    I run Shock/Ice but I'd avoid Ice if I was you and would recommend Fire*/Snb (Depending on what is going on next patch, I haven't read enough)

My skills are:

Again I haven't kept up to date with all the changes but you can probably switch out reflective light or some skills on your back bar for Shards and or Wall of Elements - For Major Proph, just use a spell power potion (Corn flower, lady smock and water hyacinth?)

For solo overland content, your PvP or PvE setup will melt adds so it doesn't matter what you run.

Thanks, I too was considering to drop some heal ability for a damage one. About major prophecy - I'm reaaaaaly not a fan of chugging pots every 40 sec, and inner light also gives additional 5% magicka, which is nice. Kinda wish it gave major sorcery instead of prophecy though.
    Edited by Essavias on September 30, 2019 11:11AM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My skills are:

Thanks, I too was considering to drop some heal ability for a damage one. About major prophecy - I'm reaaaaaly not a fan of chugging pots every 40 sec, and inner light also gives additional 5% magicka, which is nice. Kinda wish it gave major sorcery instead of prophecy though.

Degeneration will still give you Major Sorc next patch iirc - You may need to double check, simple morph change if it is.

But yeah, if you don't wanna drink pots then you could just swap out one or 2 of, BoL/Springs/Mutagen depending on your group and replace it with shards and Wall or whatever for a bit of passive damage and utility.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Essavias
    Essavias
    ✭✭✭

Degeneration will still give you Major Sorc next patch iirc - You may need to double check, simple morph change if it is.

But yeah, if you don't wanna drink pots then you could just swap out one or 2 of, BoL/Springs/Mutagen depending on your group and replace it with shards and Wall or whatever for a bit of passive damage and utility.

Yeah, it still does give Major Sorc, but damage portion of it gets gutted by 60-ish %.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it still does give Major Sorc, but damage portion of it gets gutted by 60-ish %.

Buffs your heals and support damage, decent tool to boost your "hybrid" all around, despite the nerf.

For the content you're talking about, 60% of like 3k hits or whatever they are in PvE, isn't that big of a deal imo.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magplar healer is what I call a pug healer. That is, she packs a bit more damage and flexibility than a pure healer to account for low damage dds and fake tanks. Don't do PvP though. Not saying I have a wonderful set up but I'm quite pleased with it.

Rattlecage for major sorcery (no bar space for entropy and refuse to suck potions). Seducers for sustain. Earthgore to help help with burst since no bar space for big burst like BoL.

Lightning bar: EleDrain, Wall, Shards, Reflective Lt, Sweep.
    Resto bar: Ext Ritual, Channel Focus, Prayer, Rapid Regen, Illustrious Healing.
    Ult is Mages Guild on both bars for passive and damage.

I said bar space is tight and I'm not kidding. I would love to also slot Ritual of Rebirth, Orbs, Purifying Light, and Jesus Beam (in that order of priority). What saves me some bar space is Rattlecage (instead of slotting entropy) and Earthgore combined with Prayer and HoTs (instead of slotting a big burst heal).

She works well with fairly casual groups and pugs for simpler dungeons. She also is quite effective as a soloist. Though she went to Cyrodiil for a few skills (Level 6 I think) and she can help some, we have no interest in PvP.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    You want this:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1812-AlphaGear2.html
    There are other addons with similar functionality (I use Bandits) but thats basically what you want.
    If you zone into a dungeon you deceide what gear- and skill-sets you want to use, takes like 10 sec to get gear, skills, food going.
  • Essavias
    Essavias
    ✭✭✭
    Fiewiel wrote: »
    You want this:
    https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1812-AlphaGear2.html
    There are other addons with similar functionality (I use Bandits) but thats basically what you want.
    If you zone into a dungeon you deceide what gear- and skill-sets you want to use, takes like 10 sec to get gear, skills, food going.

Ooooh, this is awesome! It was such a chore to reequip stuff for pve/pvp, thanks!
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TL;DR I would switch out Jabs and Breath of Life for Reflective Light and Shards (either morph). Extended Ritual for Necrotic Orb. Iceheart -> Earthgore, Nightflame, damage set

Explanation: I wouldn't use Jabs as it requires melee (which limits positioning), and (at least this patch) costs more magicka to do less damage than an AoE DoT like Reflective Light, Shards (Burning Light proc will deal most of the damage), Soul-splitting Trap, so on. Instead of a spammable, a set-and-forget DoT lets you spend time efficiently since you want to heal and damage. Many DPS are foregoing Jabs this patch anyway because of DoT strength

If you can get it, Earthgore for dungeons will make them a breeze. And Barrier Ult will also keep even the standing-in-reddest DPS alive while you focus on damage (if you keep using Jabs), and gives 10% magicks regen. Tho Nova is more of a hybrid dps/heal skill. I use Barrier on my magplar DPS for no-death runs in vet DLC and it's very comfortable

With an Aedric Spear skill on both bars, Burning Light will proc a lot from Shards (either morph). Extended Ritual is nice, but the 3 resto skills should cover healing, while Necrotic Orb (either morph) will give DPS & tank resources to do their job better. As far as Breath of Life, I don't use a burst heal on my NB healer build for vet dungeons. With enough Magicka/Spell Damage/Crit, HoT's and Combat Prayer do really well
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Fiewiel
    Fiewiel
    ✭✭✭
    As a templar you want Breath of Life. You can basically fill your bars with dps skills and throw bol whenever bad things happen. Its not efficient and you need sustain to do it, but works as clutch heal in no-dlc dungeons. Not recommended.
    Other skills you want to use is regeneration for prehotting and orbs for heal + sustain. prayer is pretty nice if you meet people who arent running somewhere around, so in pugs thats a problem.
    In dlc dungeons you should tone down damage if youre the healer of the group. Get a 28m interrupt on some bar and expect damage incoming. Harness might be also a good idea, because someone will die and templars naturally rez people. yeah.
    If you go into a vet dlc dungeon with a pug, forget about damage. Barswap takes a second which is a luxuary you do not have very often. The 50-60k tank can go down in a couple of seconds (aside from 1shots) and you better be able to spam bol as dead tank -> dead party.
    In trials bol looses a lot of its usefullness. Here prayer and illustrious are shining. You wont need that many manareg either.

I normally have a 1 bar heal setup coupled with 1 bar dps. On my dps bar its mainly aoe skills, as in bossfights youre mostly on your heal bar. Its sweeps, shards, light, blockade and opression. ult is rage.
    If I queue as dps, I just have bol on a bar, often not used, sometimes it saves. Dps skills arent that important, for overland you just want to kill stuff fast and its anyway patch dependant.

For healskills I found this important in dungeons:
    range > heal amount > healnumberoftargets

For gear I normally use a sustain set (bright) + X. X can be spell power cure / olorime / oversurge / war maiden / brass dependant the situation. Crit is awesome for dps, not so for heals.
    Overland solo anything goes. I use rattle + spinners.
    Monsterhelms you want bogdan as healer. Theoretically earthgore should be amazing, practically if things are bad and every couple of seconds someone is short of dying earthgore simply isnt noticable. Hp bars are anyway jumping around. There is no ideal setup, as bogdan is static and low range, but I notice it more often than earthgore. Plus youre a templar, bol hits hard and heals the target nearly always to 100% a second later. Just like earthgore.
    Dps I use skoria as I like range.

Pvp I have no clue.