The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What happened to Dungeon skins & personalities?

MrBrownstone
MrBrownstone
✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday I attempted Fang Lair Hard Mode with a competent group and did it. It was fun. Got the personality.

Then we attempted Moon Hunter Keep Hard Mode, it was even more fun. Still couldn't do it tho, spent more than 2 hours. We'll try again today. Why?

1) Because it has really interesting mechanics. I had to stun the adds to prevent them from reaching the boss. I made use of my skills that are not for damage dealing. Really unique.

2) It has a big reward. This is the problem with the latest dungeons in my opinion. They should continue with the unique rewards. A title is not enough.
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yep who is interested in repeating content just for a title or pet? We need stuff to show off these 2 things just won't cut it.
    Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • kwando
    kwando
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO my man, everything you need is right there in the crown store.
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latests dungeons gives you memento, colors and pets no? Its just not the same reward and i personally like skins and personalities more but there are some unique rewards. To blame it on the crown store again and again getting so boring
    also known as Overlich.
  • kwando
    kwando
    ✭✭✭
    Latests dungeons gives you memento, colors and pets no? Its just not the same reward and i personally like skins and personalities more but there are some unique rewards. To blame it on the crown store again and again getting so boring

Then why make this whole thread if you are happy anyways?
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kwando wrote: »

Because he's not me? :D
  • hasi
    hasi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds rough, but the ones to "blame" are people, who did want the Rewards of said Dungeons, but simply couldn't manage to finish Hm/No Death etc.

And if these People can't clear the old DLC Dungeons, they won't buy the next ones either very likely.

So Zenimax made DLC Dungeons, where you only needed Vet to aquire the special Items. Which makes the whole Concept interesting again for the "None-Try-Hards", as Veteran Difficulty will always be easier than Hm/No Death... ^^
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened to Dungeon skins & personalities?

They moved to the crownstore.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the pet should have been something unique like the IC tick and not a scamp with a backpack.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the goal for the skins, personalities, ect is, "billboarding." The entire idea is, if you see someone wearing that cool ass skin, you're going to ask, "how did you get that?" and then that might inspire you to go try that content, even if you would have normally passed on it.

That's also part of why, starting with BRP, the rewards started migrating down to just being vet clears, instead of trifectas. People saw the, speed run/no death/hardmode requirements and were like, "well, I can never do that." But, just clear it on vet? "Oh, I can do that."

That said, yeah, the Scalebreaker billboarding didn't really do it for me.
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kwando wrote: »

Because he's not me? :D

or am i? :D
    Edited by Lazarus_Rising on September 30, 2019 11:01AM
    also known as Overlich.
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then we attempted Moon Hunter Keep Hard Mode, it was even more fun. Still couldn't do it tho, spent more than 2 hours. We'll try again today. Why?
    The main purpose of games is to entertain people. You see, most people do not think that it fun to keep dying to the same stupid mechanics for 2+ hours, especially when there is some RNG involved.
    You'll be surprised but a lot of people need those skins not to show off, but for fashion design or RP purposes.

So since the amount of unhappy casuals was larger that the amount of try hards ZOS decided to make the majority happy and get additional $$ at the same time.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth I'm more likely to be motivated by a pet than a skin. Pets I use all the time, and I switch them frequently on a lot of my characters but at the moment I don't use skins at all. I'd maybe pick 1 to use if I wanted a special themed character, but then I'm not likely to play them very much. (For example I was tempted to use the ice skin from the New Life festival to make the Nights King from Game of Thrones, but never got further than thinking it could be cool but a bit of a waste of a character slot.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to sum it up. For the achievments of the Scalebreaker dungeons you get:

Outfit Style: Dread-Aurelian Mask
    Furniture: Behold Khunzar-ri's Guile
    Dye: Hollowfang Cruor
    Outfit Style: Dread-Aurelian Pauldrons
    Titel: Chevalier
    Non Combat Pet: Undaunted Porter Scamp
    Title: Hollowfang Exsanguinator
    Title: Guardian of the Green
    Memento: Corruption of Maarselok
    Title: Z'en's Redeemer

Wrathstone:

Hat: Ayleid Royal Crown
    Dye: Glacial Topaz
    Title: Frozen Treasure Seeker
    Non Combat Pet: Icebound Dwarven Spider
    Title: Purified Debastator
    Skin: Meridian Purified

and as an example of old rewards.. Wolfhunter:

Hat: Werewolf Hunter Hat
    Memento: Werewolf Behemoth Sigil
    Dye: Stahlrim Chrome
    Skin: Sable Man-Beast
    Title: Silver Knight
    Title: Alpha Predator
    Personality: Beast Personality
    Title: Huntmaster
    Title: Hircine's Champion

Basically we get the same rewards but this time it was switched for the Outfit-Styles. I rather work for personalites and skins tho. My favorite overall is still the Worm Wizard one. Took me 20 hours to get it and it felt so rewarding after we beat all the achievements.
    Edited by Lazarus_Rising on September 30, 2019 11:31AM
    also known as Overlich.
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The main purpose of games is to entertain people. You see, most people do not think that it fun to keep dying to the same stupid mechanics for 2+ hours, especially when there is some RNG involved.
    You'll be surprised but a lot of people need those skins not to show off, but for fashion design or RP purposes.

So since the amount of unhappy casuals was larger that the amount of try hards ZOS decided to make the majority happy and get additional $$ at the same time.

But is this really worth it in a long run?

Previously, when collectibles were locked behind challenger achievements, people were doing them for many days.

Now, it's just one run, people get their collectibles on the very first day and don't look back unless there is also a set worth farming (like tzogvin in frostvault). People don't even know how HM works because... why struggle? The only time when they come back is when motifs show up a few months later.

This is my observation when comparing wrathstone and scalebreaker dungeons to the previous ones. I feel like the new dungeons are far less popular than the old ones.
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And that's why ESO is a niche MMO.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why shouldn’t a vet clear be enough? I’m in 5 guilds and can’t barely ever get maybe one person to work on things with me. It’s possible I have a reputation of being generally bad, but that’s besides the point.

Getting a pug group to go back in and work on no death, speed run and hm, is an undaunting task. It’s beyond me and I Group finder pug all weekend long.

I was able to beat Depths of Malatar one time over the weekend. 2 players got the skin and they were thrilled with it.

For most people, getting a vet dlc clear is enough of a struggle.
  • StormChaser3000
    StormChaser3000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »

But is this really worth it in a long run?

Previously, when collectibles were locked behind challenger achievements, people were doing them for many days.

Now, it's just one run, people get their collectibles on the very first day and don't look back unless there is also a set worth farming (like tzogvin in frostvault). People don't even know how HM works because... why struggle? The only time when they come back is when motifs show up a few months later.

This is my observation when comparing wrathstone and scalebreaker dungeons to the previous ones. I feel like the new dungeons are far less popular than the old ones.

The key words in your post are "why struggle". While most people enjoy a reasonable amount of challenge, the joy is gone once it turns into a struggle. What fun is to run through the same content over and over and feel miserable in the process?
    Gaming should not be a work for consumers, it should be an entertainment.