The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How do I turn off armor visual effects?

Araneae6537
Araneae6537
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Outside of casting spells, I generally don’t like glowy / firey / sparkly effects and like many players, I do care very much how my character looks. My problem is that I cannot find a way to turn off visual effects from armor passives — surely there must be a way to do this since you can toggle the appearance of mount upgrades, no?

I just got my monster set (Slimecraw) last night only to find that having minor berserk means that my arms erupt in red glowy flare every few seconds no matter what I am doing! I hate it! So now I take off the helmet while going about town, crafting and such, and have to remember to put it back on before battle. I thought the point of costumes and outfit transformations was to control how your character looks regardless of what armor they’re wearing! I don’t want to have to choose between being battle ready and not looking irradiated. :disappointed:
Edited by Araneae6537 on September 24, 2019 6:56PM

Best Answers

• colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't do anything about it atm.
    Answer ✓
  • OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »
    Outside of casting spells, I generally don’t like glowy / firey / sparkly effects and like many players, I do care very much how my character looks. My problem is that I cannot find a way to turn off visual effects from armor passives — surely there must be a way to do this since you can toggle the appearance of mount upgrades, no?

The Darloc Brae set creates a sparkly effect while crouched whenever the camera approaches first person perspective and it always puts me in mind of the feeling of standing up too fast and getting a bad head rush where your vision becomes weird for a moment. Then I just got my monster set (Slimecraw) last night only to find that having minor berserk means that my arms erupt in red glowy flare every few seconds no matter what I am doing! I hate it! So now I take off the helmet while going about town, crafting and such, and have to remember to put it back on before battle. I thought the point of costumes and outfit transformations was to control how your character looks regardless of what armor they’re wearing! Hopefully, there is an easy switch for this and my consternation is unnecessary, but those I asked did not believe there was any such function. Please tell me there is! I don’t want to have to choose between being battle ready and not looking irradiated. :disappointed:

Part of the reason you can't turn them off is because that visual effect is not just for you, but for other players. Those effects telegraph what effects your gear is going to produce, which is important in some vet content and pretty much all PvP.
    Answer ✓
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately you're not able to disable them. As far as PvP goes It adds a layer of depth to combat since you can punish an enemy who is bad at managing his armor buffs.

Visually some of these abilities are overbearing though ,like hurricane , shuffle, dragon blood etc.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on September 24, 2019 9:32PM
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be worse - Slimecraw used to have sound effects. It was horrid.

Ebon Armory, Sanctuary, Hircine's Veneer, and Worm's Raiment have three glowing balls that constantly float around the player.
    Edited by VaranisArano on September 24, 2019 10:59PM
    Answer ✓
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Darloc Brae set creates a sparkly effect while crouched whenever the camera approaches first person perspective and it always puts me in mind of the feeling of standing up too fast and getting a bad head rush where your vision becomes weird for a moment. Then I just got my monster set (Slimecraw) last night only to find that having minor berserk means that my arms erupt in red glowy flare every few seconds no matter what I am doing! I hate it! So now I take off the helmet while going about town, crafting and such, and have to remember to put it back on before battle. I thought the point of costumes and outfit transformations was to control how your character looks regardless of what armor they’re wearing! Hopefully, there is an easy switch for this and my consternation is unnecessary, but those I asked did not believe there was any such function. Please tell me there is! I don’t want to have to choose between being battle ready and not looking irradiated. :disappointed:

Part of the reason you can't turn them off is because that visual effect is not just for you, but for other players. Those effects telegraph what effects your gear is going to produce, which is important in some vet content and pretty much all PvP.

In vet content you can simply tell the party what armor set you have on. In PvP we should be able to hide the glowing because we can already hide what armor we are wearing and what weapons we use with costumes and outfits. Those effects are there because someone on the development team decided players would think it was neat and for no other reason. They are eye candy meant to make use go ooh and aah like we were at some kind of fireworks display.

The three balls floating around my character can sometimes give me motion sickness. There are a few games I can't play at all because of the motion sickness. I would like to be able to toggle those floating balls off. Wouldn't matter to me if others can still see them or not so long as I couldn't see my own floaty balls.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your on PC, you can use an addon to swap between sets and or outfits. You can also use the Outfit System to do a swap. In fact, you should not even have to do a swap, perhaps the outfit would mask the visual effect.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DR4GONFL1
    DR4GONFL1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ask for armor visual effects Nerf... ZOS loves nerfing things.

Patch 25:

Armor - Visual Effects

Removed ALL visual effects and reduced all armor damage reduction to 1/2%. Armor will no longer give bonus's or synergies.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If your on PC, you can use an addon to swap between sets and or outfits. You can also use the Outfit System to do a swap. In fact, you should not even have to do a swap, perhaps the outfit would mask the visual effect.

My character is wearing a costume and that does not mask the effect, unfortunately. It baffles me that there is no way to get rid of the visual effect without removing the armor. I had hoped I had simply failed to find the option. :disappointed:
  • tigerborn62
    tigerborn62
    ✭✭✭
    Great idea!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In that case it should only occur during combat! That I would be okay with.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree op. A costume or an outfit does not hide the visual effect whatsoever.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately you're not able to disable them. As far as PvP goes It adds a layer of depth to combat since you can punish an enemy who is bad at managing his armor buffs.

Visually some of these abilities are overbearing though ,like hurricane , shuffle, dragon blood etc.

I had not thought of that as I’ve only done PvE thus far. I would think that isn’t something you should necessarily know about your enemy, but if they could make the effect only appear during combat and/or in PvP zones, that would be great. There’s no reason for my arms to erupt in radiation while I’m crafting. :unamused:

I guess I’ll have to be switching my gear all the time. :/

Does anyone know of a list of what armor or abilities / buffs have these kind of visual effects? I would avoid such armor if I can in the future.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Now I'm hearing it in my mind and It doesn't stop.. The horror of slimecraw and fasalla's guile...
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebon Armory, Sanctuary, Hircine's Veneer, and Worm's Raiment have three glowing balls that constantly float around the player.

Yikes! :s My armor is to be protective, not seen (unless I choose) and certainly not heard (and I suppose you should have the option of clanking about in heavy plate, but I digress).

Thank you for the heads up on those other sets! I’ll be sure to avoid them and check before I decide on any other armor I might want. :unamused: I’m starting to feel fortunate that the rest of the gear I chose is quietly invisible beneath my costume! :o
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lower you graphics settings will reduce the effects. But as pointed out you cannot eliminate them.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with OP in that I generally prefer less glowy visual effects - I would most welcome the option to turn off those effects.

Add Mighty Chudan to the list of armors with special effects - the effect is not obnoxious (a gentle aura of what looks rather like lightning) and occurs with about the same frequency/duration as Slimecraw's glowy hands.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It gets worse. I have a tank running Ebon on the body, Sanctuary weapons and jewelry, with Lord Warden slotted. He's the world's most aggressive Christmas tree.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

My character is wearing a costume and that does not mask the effect, unfortunately. It baffles me that there is no way to get rid of the visual effect without removing the armor. I had hoped I had simply failed to find the option. :disappointed:

Crud. I only have one armor set that has effects like this, so was not sure.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• OrdoHermetica
    OrdoHermetica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    In PvP we should be able to hide the glowing because we can already hide what armor we are wearing and what weapons we use with costumes and outfits.

If anything, that makes visual elements that are distinct from the armor or weapon models all the more important. You've been able to hide your armor type since well before outfitting through the use of costumes, and making your axe look like a sword is a largely insignificant loss of information compared to knowing what set effects you need to be on the lookout for in PvP. I wouldn't mind an option to turn the effects off outside of combat when not in PvP zones, but the set visual effects most definitely provide important information.
    Edited by OrdoHermetica on September 25, 2019 1:55AM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvP we should be able to hide the glowing because we can already hide what armor we are wearing and what weapons we use with costumes and outfits.

If anything, that makes visual elements that are distinct from the armor or weapon models all the more important. You've been able to hide your armor type since well before outfitting through the use of costumes, and making your axe look like a sword is a largely insignificant loss of information compared to knowing what set effects you need to be on the lookout for in PvP. I wouldn't mind an option to turn the effects off outside of combat when not in PvP zones, but the set visual effects most definitely provide important information.

I am saying if we can hide our armor we should be able to hide all our armor. It is about fair play. Why should you know what armor I am wearing only because I choose one of the sets with a visual effect. That isn't fair. My answer is to get rid of the effects. If we can't do that then costumes and outfits need to be disabled in PvP.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some love them and some hate them...I actually love all visual effects...my favorite unintentional one is the Mages guild quest (Simply Misplaced) where you leave midway through keeping a blue haze/smoke effect underneath your character.

I'm actually surprised ZOS hasent patched it by now and I hope they never do :)
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am saying if we can hide our armor we should be able to hide all our armor. It is about fair play. Why should you know what armor I am wearing only because I choose one of the sets with a visual effect. That isn't fair. My answer is to get rid of the effects. If we can't do that then costumes and outfits need to be disabled in PvP.

Honestly, a bigger gripe on this subject is that armor could really do with improved visuals. The Sanctuary/Ebon joke not withstanding, armor effects are kinda underwhelming. They're all very generic. Ebon, Sanctuary, Hircine, and Worm Cult all put three glowing balls around you. On top of that, both Hircine and Worm Cult use the same color. They're just pallet swaps. If you have two of the sets equipped, when you load in anywhere, the balls will be overlapping.

Chudan has a slight flicker effect. Slimecraw makes your arms glow.

Some sets like Hatchling's Shell fit a theme better, but are still kinda obnoxious, because, well, it's a glowing blue sphere around the player.

It would be cool if the effects were more tailored to the sets. Except, then, some are...

Infallible Aether, and Mending both put a nebula glow on your weapon when you pull it. But only if you have a weapon from that set equipped, and have the five piece bonus completed. Alkosh is a similar story, even if the actual visual is very different.

These are really cool, and there aren't enough of them.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly, a bigger gripe on this subject is that armor could really do with improved visuals. The Sanctuary/Ebon joke not withstanding, armor effects are kinda underwhelming. They're all very generic. Ebon, Sanctuary, Hircine, and Worm Cult all put three glowing balls around you. On top of that, both Hircine and Worm Cult use the same color. They're just pallet swaps. If you have two of the sets equipped, when you load in anywhere, the balls will be overlapping.

Chudan has a slight flicker effect. Slimecraw makes your arms glow.

Some sets like Hatchling's Shell fit a theme better, but are still kinda obnoxious, because, well, it's a glowing blue sphere around the player.

It would be cool if the effects were more tailored to the sets. Except, then, some are...

Infallible Aether, and Mending both put a nebula glow on your weapon when you pull it. But only if you have a weapon from that set equipped, and have the five piece bonus completed. Alkosh is a similar story, even if the actual visual is very different.

These are really cool, and there aren't enough of them.

The only ones I really do not like are the floating balls. Sometimes those give me motion sickness. The others I am indifferent about.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    Some love them and some hate them...I actually love all visual effects...my favorite unintentional one is the Mages guild quest (Simply Misplaced) where you leave midway through keeping a blue haze/smoke effect underneath your character.

I'm actually surprised ZOS hasent patched it by now and I hope they never do :)

All the more reason why they should be optional (at least outside of PvP)! :) Some effects, such as the Chudan set lightning effect @AcadianPaladin described might be cool on the right character. Others, like the Darloc Brae sparks in peripheral view make my head feel weird or like the “floaty balls” just look stupid IMHO, but no doubt there are people who like these too.

(Edited for autocorrect errors.)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on September 25, 2019 9:50PM
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't post the screenshots here in case anyone is sensitive to visual spoilers, but there is a visual effect on my characters after completing the Southern Elsweyr questline. The feedback threads seem to get buried easily, so I'm linking it here so you can check it out and voice your opinion before it goes live.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493615/pts-update-24-feedback-thread-for-southern-elsweyr#latest
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aisleyne wrote: »
    I won't post the screenshots here in case anyone is sensitive to visual spoilers, but there is a visual effect on my characters after completing the Southern Elsweyr questline. The feedback threads seem to get buried easily, so I'm linking it here so you can check it out and voice your opinion before it goes live.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493615/pts-update-24-feedback-thread-for-southern-elsweyr#latest

Thank you for the heads up! I put in my two cents for whatever it might be worth.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The red orbs are giving me a headache - if they activated during combat that'd be one thing but when I am just traveling - WHY?