The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Console or pc

jaime1982
jaime1982
✭✭✭✭
Which players have more skill? Opinions
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never played on console so i wouldn't know.

Why does it matter?
    confused24.gif

• Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on the Switch. PvP is pretty good there.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno. PC Players and Console Players don't PVP against each other.

It's sort of like "Pirate vs Ninja". Cool to speculate about, but not something that actually happened.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Console players have more skill technically, but would lose to PC if cross play existed because add-ons and mouse/keyboard provide too much of an advantage.

• MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason I keep playing console is because people cant use macros to weave and ani cancel. If you want to use advanced input options you need to actually master them.

Tbh on PC you guys have it easy, there are add ons that practically wipe your ass for you. And honestly we dont even have an effective buff timer on console, you need to remember all of your buff timers in your head.

Who is more skilled? No forum post can say. Are there options on PC that low ability players can utilize to level the playing field? Most certainly.
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭
    NuarBlack wrote: »
    Console players have more skill technically, but would lose to PC if cross play existed because add-ons and mouse/keyboard provide too much of an advantage.

this can't be serious....
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭
    The main reason I keep playing console is because people cant use macros to weave and ani cancel. If you want to use advanced input options you need to actually master them.

Tbh on PC you guys have it easy, there are add ons that practically wipe your ass for you. And honestly we dont even have an effective buff timer on console, you need to remember all of your buff timers in your head.

Who is more skilled? No forum post can say. Are there options on PC that low ability players can utilize to level the playing field? Most certainly.

I've played both. You don't know what you're talking about.
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play both and mouse keyboard is way easier.
    There's some things u can do on pc thats almost impossible on a controller due to turning speed cap.
    Edited by Ariades_swe on September 22, 2019 9:26AM
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    controllers on console feel awful (I tried) especially camera movement
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ll_Rev wrote: »

I've been playing MMO's for 17 years, I'm consistently on PvP leaderboards. Mind elaborating on your comment? Because while there are many people that dont know what they are talking about, I'm not one of them =).
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct answer is that all player skill is on a spectrum, or maybe a bell curve, and that’s true for all platforms. The vast majority of players are very average in skill. Even many of them with the loudest voices for their platform are “meh” at best and would fare equally well when mixed with players from anywhere.

I think you’re really asking for a comparison of the top performers. And those are probably pretty comparable too. It’s true that PC has better tools than console, but none of those tools replace the need for top situational awareness, hand-eye coordination, fast reflexes, the ability to remember and track multiple complex mechanics occurring at once, and continue the most effective cadence of combat throughout. Losing addons would initially hamper the performance of top performing pc players but they would adapt quickly and return to their previous levels of performance. They are good because they are good, not because they have addons.

Console players like to bash PC and vilify addons and macros, but the truth is that very very few players use macros, and addons don't turn an average player into a good one. That’s why such a small percentage of the player base has completed the most difficult content across all platforms.

Tl;dr - top players are comparable across all platforms. Most players are not top regardless of platform.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭

I've been playing MMO's for 17 years, I'm consistently on PvP leaderboards. Mind elaborating on your comment? Because while there are many people that dont know what they are talking about, I'm not one of them =).

you should know that addons don't help nearly as much as you think they do, if you actually played for 17 years and are consistently on pvp leaderboards. I doubt you are bud.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    The correct answer is that all player skill is on a spectrum, or maybe a bell curve, and that’s true for all platforms. The vast majority of players are very average in skill. Even many of them with the loudest voices for their platform are “meh” at best and would fare equally well when mixed with players from anywhere.

I think you’re really asking for a comparison of the top performers. And those are probably pretty comparable too. It’s true that PC has better tools than console, but none of those tools replace the need for top situational awareness, hand-eye coordination, fast reflexes, the ability to remember and track multiple complex mechanics occurring at once, and continue the most effective cadence of combat throughout. Losing addons would initially hamper the performance of top performing pc players but they would adapt quickly and return to their previous levels of performance. They are good because they are good, not because they have addons.

Console players like to bash PC and vilify addons and macros, but the truth is that very very few players use macros, and addons don't turn an average player into a good one. That’s why such a small percentage of the player base has completed the most difficult content across all platforms.

Tl;dr - top players are comparable across all platforms. Most players are not top regardless of platform.

While I agree generally with this addons can eliminate fraction of seconds on your reaction time which does matter in pvp because they provide that info to you better. Played many MMO'S and while the benefits vary across addons there are some that provide a distinct advantage that can't be compensated for. Or at least a good player would be better with objectively even if they can still remain good relative to most players without.
    Edited by NuarBlack on September 23, 2019 12:55AM
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so I also have a PC account where I do sub 50 BG (I know not a great representation). But comparing sub 50 on both I found the average player is able to hold their own on PC better, but the god tier players seemed better on PS4. But I don't have a good sample size, so nothing can really be concluded from that. Just my 0.02.

Basic summary would be. Average skill is higher on PC, while PS4 has alot more bad players and really good players.
    PvP needs more love.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

you should know that addons don't help nearly as much as you think they do, if you actually played for 17 years and are consistently on pvp leaderboards. I doubt you are bud.

Pointless baiting, just finished up the week on all 3 bg boards :).
    Edited by MentalxHammer on September 23, 2019 3:42AM
  • GeorgeBlack
    GeorgeBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Console because in PC we have addons that tell you what to do with big notifications right in front of the screen. Ridiculous
    Edited by GeorgeBlack on September 23, 2019 4:46AM
  • ShanebEU
    ShanebEU
    Soul Shriven
    obviously console
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's sort of like "Pirate vs Ninja". Cool to speculate about, but not something that actually happened.

Happened 1869. Tokugawa vs. Kōtetsu
    And is, just for the lore and records, the real background of Starwars Death Star. Lucas was inspired by the japanese Anime "Heroes of the Galactic Empire", which was a remake of the japanese civil war and the battle over the ironclad.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mague wrote: »

Happened 1869. Tokugawa vs. Kōtetsu
    And is, just for the lore and records, the real background of Starwars Death Star. Lucas was inspired by the japanese Anime "Heroes of the Galactic Empire", which was a remake of the japanese civil war and the battle over the ironclad.

I had a feeling George Lucas was an otaku.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, PS4 seems to be leagues ahead of Xbox.

As for PS4 vs PC, pc seems ahead but it seems really close in the dueling area. I think PC is ahead but that has more to do with the home field advantage thing. Pretty sure most top PS4 players are leveling up on pc anyway.

In small scale, pc is ahead by leagues. Console doesn’t even have a small scale scene that I’ve seen.

In 1vX, console has the easier opponents by far since PC baddies can be carried by addons. I agree with combat hammer in that addons can’t make a good player great, but they can make a bad player into an average player. I always get jealous when I watch a console 1vX vid and half of the X hasn’t even realized they’re in a fight until the other half has already died.

Regardless, I think once the top PS4 people finish their pc toons they will be able to be top pc players as well, and I look forward to seeing what their opinion is on this issue.
    Edited by Thogard on September 23, 2019 8:51PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, personally feel as if Xbox has the easiest crowds. I say this as an Xbox player watching clips of PC and PS4

According to my friends that played on several platforms; the top players are all pretty equal amongst them
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »

As for PS4 vs PC, pc seems ahead but it seems really close in the dueling area. I think PC is ahead but that has more to do with the home field advantage thing. Pretty sure most top PS4 players are leveling up on pc anyway.

In small scale, pc is ahead by leagues. Console doesn’t even have a small scale scene that I’ve seen.

In 1vX, console has the easier opponents by far since PC baddies can be carried by addons. I agree with combat hammer in that addons can’t make a good player great, but they can make a bad player into an average player. I always get jealous when I watch a console 1vX vid and half of the X hasn’t even realized they’re in a fight until the other half has already died.

Regardless, I think once the top PS4 people finish their pc toons they will be able to be top pc players as well, and I look forward to seeing what their opinion is on this issue.

Wait is there a significant migration back to PC from PS4? I felt there was a bunch of us that migrated to PS4 from PC cause ZoS botched the PC release so bad population was dying and PS4 was new and shiny with lots of fixes encouraging a more robust population. Not sure why you would go back to PC unless you are that hard up for add-ons? Suppose performance may be a bit better but not by much if you are rocking a Pro. And cyro lag is bad on all platforms. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't care to hunch over a keyboard for anything but an RTS cause I've ugraded PCs multiple times since launch and have stuck to PS4.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaime1982 wrote: »
    Which players have more skill? Opinions

PC players. And that comes down to most PC players having more pvp mmo experience then people that normally only play console. I imagine most of the average to top tier PvPers on ESO PC have played PvP mmo's prior to ESO where as on console mmo's are basically just now starting to come out, therefore its only natural they are gonna have less or limited experience in mmo PvP.

But that being said the gap between console and PC players isn't as wide as it used to be. There are alot of good players across all platforms now.
    Edited by Akinos on September 24, 2019 12:17AM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the argument some people are making are that since Console players have less "tools" to help them, they therefore have to "work harder", thus making them "better". But this makes them better than other console players, not better against PC players.

As mentioned above, PC players that PVP most likely PVP'd on quite a few other MMO's before ESO (DAoC, WAR, WoW, GW2, maybe BDO, etc.) This means that there are probably a higher portion of the PC player base in PVP that have a better understanding of what they "should" be doing.

PC players are also used to faster combat, since everyone on PC is PVPing using a mouse and keyboard, and most likely can get over 60 fps with their chosen hardware. Faster reaction time in game, lower input lag, more PVP experience, so the quest is who would have more ESO PVP experience....well PC gamers have been PVPing since launch in 2014, and some of us played in a few of the 2013 betas.

So....Console PVPer vs PC PVPer with the build of their choice, in a dual, I would put money on the PC PVPer.
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This topic is pointless for several reasons. But an Xbox player won a dueling tournament on PC, that player wasn’t even the best at the time. That goes to say it’s all irrelevant. A good player will be good no matter what. Although for some reason everyone likes to make up scenarios of why someone is better like it takes rocket science to play this game.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your opinions have never been more pointless.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • cmvet
    cmvet
    ✭✭✭

lol, guess you haven't seen the modded controllers or cronus max type things for consoles.....
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭

Wait is there a significant migration back to PC from PS4? I felt there was a bunch of us that migrated to PS4 from PC cause ZoS botched the PC release so bad population was dying and PS4 was new and shiny with lots of fixes encouraging a more robust population. Not sure why you would go back to PC unless you are that hard up for add-ons? Suppose performance may be a bit better but not by much if you are rocking a Pro. And cyro lag is bad on all platforms. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't care to hunch over a keyboard for anything but an RTS cause I've ugraded PCs multiple times since launch and have stuck to PS4.

so you prefer an inferior version? Ok.
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only way to measure that would be to gather all the "top tier" console and pc players together in real life at a LAN party where everyone has the same ping, PC, class, build and skillbars, and have them do a dueling tournament best out of 10 each.
    If the console players stick with their controllers (and most of them will because thats what they are used to) then the PC players would probably win because mouse and keyboard is just better.
    Till something like that happens tho, asking such a question is very very dumb.
  • NuarBlack
    NuarBlack
    ✭✭✭✭

so you prefer an inferior version? Ok.

No, I just prefer a higher population community that isn't so elitist and toxic with near instant BG ques over a few more fps.