Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Mage/Wizard Tower

Idhendryon
I've come back recently to the game after a long hiatus, and one of things I really like about it now is the player housing.

In RPG's I usually play High Elf Mag/Wizard types. And as great as the housing options are, to me it looks like there is not real wizard type player housing for Altmer (or anyone else besides House Telvanni, and even that seems not to be available anymore). But I might be wrong, what is everyone using as their Mage Tower? Any good advice? I'm likely not the only one who'd like a Wizard Tower as their housing.

If not, I guess this has come up before, but even a relative small room at the Ceporah Tower would be great I think. Maybe only available after you finished the quest line (where at the end you get the invitation to stay or visit there whenever you want). At least you'd have some teleportation there, and a somewhat otherworldly atmosphere. But are the devs still opening housing options in older areas or does that never happen?

There seems to be an abundance in villa type or larger, wider housing options, but not so many for the vertically inclined.
  • Eirinin
    Eirinin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The different houses that say unavailable sometimes come back to the crown store.

There is a home (a massive one) on the isle of Artaeum that you can tour, the Grand Psjic Villa. It isn't a tower, more a huge span of porches and rooms.

As for wizard towers in general, some folks build them. One was recently done with style and panache on the big empty flat home in Coldharbour.

My own high elf magic user is very happy in Alinor in her townhouse. Large, elegant, close to everything from the mages guild to the palace, it is not a bad base of operations for someone magically inclined.

On the other hand, my main, a Dummer sorceress, is at home in Ald Velothi Harbor, in a walled shell house perched on the edge of the sea. Plenty of alchemy and enchanting materials just outside of her gate, and with incredible views of the lava flow on Red Mountain. Inspiring and free of nosy city residents fussing about underfoot. Plus there is a silt strider quite close, and who doesn't just love a silt strider?

Near Halloween a great Wyrd style home will hopefully be back in the store for purchase, if your mage is more the putter around the fens type, and more into snug and simple homes. Look for the Exorcised Coven Cottage.

The Observatory Prior in the Clockwork style is amazing, and while it seems more dark elf and dwemer in style to me, you may like it for your Altmer.

The Snow Globe House is magical, unique and a lighthouse (which is a bit of a tower).

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every now and then there is the tel galen (?) home available in morrowind. It’s a telvanni tower and it looks a little strange compared to what we know from older TES games. Also crowns only. But it’s as close to a Wizard tower as it gets.
  • Idhendryon
    Thanks to both of you.

I saw the Grand Psijic Villa, and while this looks amazing, it's a different beast in my view (and at the moment I can't get it anyway : ) ). I'll likely do the same as Eirinin and try to turn the townhouse into my wizardly home for my Altmer mage. I noticed that it's right next to the mage guild which is a plus.

I'll have a look at the Observatory Prior though, I must have missed that. That might be something.

If I ever play a Dunmer, and it's available I definitely would get the Tel Galen Mushroom Tower. If not Ald Velothi Harbor sounds great.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idhendryon wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you.

I saw the Grand Psijic Villa, and while this looks amazing, it's a different beast in my view (and at the moment I can't get it anyway : ) ). I'll likely do the same as Eirinin and try to turn the townhouse into my wizardly home for my Altmer mage. I noticed that it's right next to the mage guild which is a plus.

I'll have a look at the Observatory Prior though, I must have missed that. That might be something.

If I ever play a Dunmer, and it's available I definitely would get the Tel Galen Mushroom Tower. If not Ald Velothi Harbor sounds great.

For an Altmer mage, I am sure you will like the Grand Villa. It has lot's of rooms to decorate in a wizardy style.

Although I get you feelings: I reaaaally would love to have a big wizard tower - you know like the one in Skyrim. Let's hope they release one when they release the area of winterhold. *Crosses fingers*
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you.

For an Altmer mage, I am sure you will like the Grand Villa. It has lot's of rooms to decorate in a wizardy style.

Although I get you feelings: I reaaaally would love to have a big wizard tower - you know like the one in Skyrim. Let's hope they release one when they release the area of winterhold. *Crosses fingers*

I’d love a wizard’s tower too but not in Skyrim! You’re liable to wind up surrounded by Nords with pitchforks of something! :p I would love an Altmer-style wizard’s tower in Auridon or Summerset, surrounded by forest and cherry blossom trees! Ald Velothi Harbor is great but it would be lovely to have some additional housing options in Vvardenfell, including a smaller Telvanni wizard’s tower in a more TES III style. :)
  • Idhendryon
    Aelorin wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you.

I looked into some videos of the Grand Psijic Villa and went in myself in the preview. This is indeed an awesome place. And if it will ever become available I likely will buy it. But, yes that's what I meant, it's not really a wizards tower. I was exactly thinking about something like the one in Skyrim, or even something smaller in an Altmer/Ayleid style.

As mentioned, I'd even settle for a smaller home in the Ceporah Tower, because the whole atmosphere there is perfect and having a room there would just fit well with the story etc.

Generally speaking I really like Summerset, it's a beautiful place and the music is great too, but for me it lacks a bit in magic. I thought the whole island would feel more like Artaeum is done in the game, a bit more fantastical in the way Vvardenfell is. But that's going off the rails here. For the time being I'll take Eirinin's advice and settle into the Villa in Alinor.

Hopefully we see more Wizard/Mage style housing in the future.
  • Eirinin
    Eirinin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you love your new townhouse. Fwiw, I'd pay a lot for an apartment in Ceporah Tower. Hint, hint, developers!
  • Nerhesi
    Nerhesi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Build your own in Coldharbour - very appropriate theme. Or build your own in the new Empty plot... Elseweyr themed.

Here is mine in Coldharbour:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeX3HzZx1o
  • Idhendryon
    Eirinin wrote: »
    I hope you love your new townhouse. Fwiw, I'd pay a lot for an apartment in Ceporah Tower. Hint, hint, developers!

Thank you, I'll start decorating this weekend. I'd obviously pay for something at Ceporah too. @devs : )
    Nerhesi wrote: »
    Build your own in Coldharbour - very appropriate theme. Or build your own in the new Empty plot... Elseweyr themed.

Here is mine in Coldharbour:

Oh, wow, that's awesome. I hope the devs will have a look at that one, if they ever make a wizard tower. That's done really well, but sadly a bit beyond my current abilities and furniture options. I'll definitely will use some of your ideas for my townhouse though.
    Edited by Idhendryon on September 4, 2019 11:28PM
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a shame you can't get the villa! Hopefully that is available to those who didn't get it again at some point. Although the house was the bane of my life for a while due to it's enormous size in comparison to our item limitations, those towers either side are beautiful and would have been great wizard towers! They are so tall, with some winding stairs, you could have had two towers! :) Fingers crossed that there is another chance to get that house during a Summerset anniversary event or something, I have met a few other people who missed out on that one too!

The Lunar Champion is also a free one which would make a great Wizard home, in my opinion! The portals just shout out magic wizard home to me! The central room could be a library or craft area or whatever you wanted, and through one of the portals you could easily create a tower, using walls or even rocks, for like a cavey type tower, and the view from the top would be great, lovely views through those portals! You could even make an alchemy garden through the second one! Now I am just going off on one thinking of ideas haha! :D
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Idhendryon
    It's a shame you can't get the villa! Hopefully that is available to those who didn't get it again at some point. Although the house was the bane of my life for a while due to it's enormous size in comparison to our item limitations, those towers either side are beautiful and would have been great wizard towers! They are so tall, with some winding stairs, you could have had two towers! :) Fingers crossed that there is another chance to get that house during a Summerset anniversary event or something, I have met a few other people who missed out on that one too!

The Lunar Champion is also a free one which would make a great Wizard home, in my opinion! The portals just shout out magic wizard home to me! The central room could be a library or craft area or whatever you wanted, and through one of the portals you could easily create a tower, using walls or even rocks, for like a cavey type tower, and the view from the top would be great, lovely views through those portals! You could even make an alchemy garden through the second one! Now I am just going off on one thinking of ideas haha! :D

Yes, the villa would be nice, but at the moment, still way too big for me. I can imagine it caused you some trouble. I'm settling down next to the mage guild at the moment. I'll still take some time until I have all the furniture together, and maybe in the meantime this comes up again, or we get something nice otherwise.

Thanks to all the feedback from everyone I can see that I have some options.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want the Tower of the Vale for my mage tower — I just took care of the previous deranged occupant! :D It just needs some stairways or portals...