Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23
• Xbox One: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®4: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• ESO Website for maintenance – September 26, 7:00AM EDT (11:00 UTC) - 11:00AM EDT (15:00 UTC)
Update 24 and the Dragonhold DLC Game Pack are both now available for testing on the PTS! Experience the amazing conclusion to the Season of the Dragon saga. You can find the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Crashing to desktop when I travel to a group party member

BlueRaven
BlueRaven
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Has anyone else encountered this?

I have been getting a bug recently where if I travel to someone in my group I crash to desktop.

I go through the "constellation" animation, but right at the end, right when there should be a load screen, immediate crash to desktop.

The only way around it I have found is to leave the group, THEN travel to member of the party, THEN rejoin the group. But this solution becomes problematic with trials.

•••

Other problems I have is the spinning toons (if I use the launcher).

And periodic freezes where the whole screen, just for a moment or two, just freezes up (again problematic in trials).

Thank you
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven’t had them myself (yet) but my brother is getting the freezes after the most recent patch. The one time I froze it just crashed after. Haven’t played since then.
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Has anyone else encountered this?

I have been getting a bug recently where if I travel to someone in my group I crash to desktop.

I go through the "constellation" animation, but right at the end, right when there should be a load screen, immediate crash to desktop.

The only way around it I have found is to leave the group, THEN travel to member of the party, THEN rejoin the group. But this solution becomes problematic with trials.

•••

Other problems I have is the spinning toons (if I use the launcher).

And periodic freezes where the whole screen, just for a moment or two, just freezes up (again problematic in trials).

Thank you

I have been getting something like this. I don't go into a constellation animation but I just crash back to log in. No lag, no warning, I didn't even freeze. It was weirder than normal.
    Edited by imredneckson on August 24, 2019 1:13AM
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_bastard_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • ZOS_BillE
    ZOS_BillE
    admin
    @BlueRaven

Have you gone through any crash troubleshooting for these crashes while traveling?

If not, we recommend going through the steps listed in our help article below.

What can I do if ESO is crashing frequently while playing on a Mac?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @BlueRaven

Have you gone through any crash troubleshooting for these crashes while traveling?

If not, we recommend going through the steps listed in our help article below.

What can I do if ESO is crashing frequently while playing on a Mac?

Thanks for getting back to me!

Some guild mates and I tried to figure this out last night. It's hard to nail down EXACTLY what is causing the crashes, so I can't give a definite reason why.

Also, it's hard to test because I need a large party to help me test it. So I cannot claim any cause with absolute certainty.

But here of my impressions after about an hour+ of trouble shooting last night;
    • Having add-ons loaded does make the issue worse, but does not eliminate it if I have no add-ons present.
    • Larger group size appears to make the issue worse, but it can still happen with small group sizes. (It can happen in groups of 4 or less. But it happens in larger groups more frequently.)
    • The longer I have had the game running, the problem appears to be worse then if I just start up. (I tested this by making a lap on a fast mount around the outer road in Eslweyr vs just starting up.)
    • Playing solo I do have occasional crashes, but not enough that I am bothered by it. This is definitely a "group" issue.
    • I am suspecting a particular add-on to be the main culprit (Essential Housing tools). But I also crash in the group even if it is off. It felt less often, but I can't be 100% sure.

••••

Errata;

I did a WB run in the Rift on Saturday, I went to the starting spot independently and grouped up then.
    No crashes UNTIL we switched zones to Shadowfen. When I reloaded I was still in the Rift.
    I tried a second time, this time it went to a load screen, THEN it crashed again (and still I was in the Rift on the reload).
    Third time it worked with no issues.

This was with all my add-ons loaded in windowed mode. I tend to run the game on reasonably high looking graphics though.

(This prompted some volunteers to help me figure this out last night.)

••••

About my Mac;

Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
    4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro 575 4 GB

I also have a second monitor

HP Z22i Display
    21.5-inch (1920 x 1080)

I always run the game in "windowed" mode. I generally have discord and safari also running at the same time (in the second monitor).
    Edited by BlueRaven on August 26, 2019 3:58PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Update: After further testing last night I am feeling quite confident that "Essential Housing tools" is the problematic add-on. I think it's a bit of a bloat-ware issue.

I will update this thread if the issue continues even with it turned off.

Thanks!