Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gifting locked even tho I subscribed to ESO Plus.. Getting insane

Konox2015
Konox2015
Soul Shriven
So the thing is I have tryed for days to get help from the support team regarding my issue. My gifting option is not unlocked. It says that j still has a timer with 20 days left even tho I bought eso plus.. I tryed to find answers in the web, submitting a ticket 20 times but get the same answer every single time. Buying ESO plus from the first place was for me to remove that timer.. not happening and the timer still say wait 20 days make you go nuts:(
Edited by Konox2015 on August 23, 2019 11:11PM

Best Answer

• virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    bluebird wrote: »
    From the official Crown Gifting article on the website:

'Gifting is a feature that must be unlocked. If you are a new player, you need to become an ESO Plus member or make a Crown Pack purchase and wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift. If you are an existing player who is not yet an ESO Plus member or has not made a Crown Pack purchase, you will also need to make a purchase and then wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift. Gifting is automatically unlocked if you are an existing player with a qualifying history of Crown Pack purchases or ESO Plus participation on the launch of Update 18.'

I assume you bought your first Crown Pack or you purchased your first ESO+ 10 days ago, that's why it says you need to wait 20 days until Gifting is unlocked for your account. As you can see from the article and the answer to your tickets, the wait time is perfectly intended. Your account will be able to use the Gifting function after your timer runs out.

The problem is that ZOS' language here is ambiguous, and ambiguity in explanatory text is per se an error. Do they mean you must A ) subscribe to ESO+ OR B ) buy Crowns, in which case you must wait 30 days? Or do they mean you must A ) subscribe to ESO+ and then wait 30 days OR B ) buy Crowns and then wait 30 days? The phrasing allows for either interpretation equally. OP interpreted it one way; ZOS meant it the other. Copying-and-pasting the language (which may well be what Support is doing) does not clarify anything when the language itself is ambiguous like this.

If ESO+ does not unlock gifting immediately, they should rephrase this for clarity, e.g. "If you are a new player, you need to become an ESO Plus member or make a Crown Pack purchase, and then either way you must wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift." If I had been in OP's position and interpreted the article to mean that I could avoid the wait by subscribing, I would be very put off of spending any more money on the game in the future when I found out that I could not and that Support was not explaining the issue adequately. Potential customers are easily alienated when they are misled, even inadvertently. The issue could have been avoided entirely if a copy editor or proofreader had caught it before it was published.

Edited: because apparently we're not allowed to put Bs next to )s without entering emojiland... B)
    Edited by virtus753 on August 24, 2019 6:09AM
    Answer ✓
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

'Gifting is a feature that must be unlocked. If you are a new player, you need to become an ESO Plus member or make a Crown Pack purchase and wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift. If you are an existing player who is not yet an ESO Plus member or has not made a Crown Pack purchase, you will also need to make a purchase and then wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift. Gifting is automatically unlocked if you are an existing player with a qualifying history of Crown Pack purchases or ESO Plus participation on the launch of Update 18.'

I assume you bought your first Crown Pack or you purchased your first ESO+ 10 days ago, that's why it says you need to wait 20 days until Gifting is unlocked for your account. As you can see from the article and the answer to your tickets, the wait time is perfectly intended. Your account will be able to use the Gifting function after your timer runs out.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

The problem is that ZOS' language here is ambiguous, and ambiguity in explanatory text is per se an error. Do they mean you must A ) subscribe to ESO+ OR B ) buy Crowns, in which case you must wait 30 days? Or do they mean you must A ) subscribe to ESO+ and then wait 30 days OR B ) buy Crowns and then wait 30 days? The phrasing allows for either interpretation equally. OP interpreted it one way; ZOS meant it the other. Copying-and-pasting the language (which may well be what Support is doing) does not clarify anything when the language itself is ambiguous like this.

If ESO+ does not unlock gifting immediately, they should rephrase this for clarity, e.g. "If you are a new player, you need to become an ESO Plus member or make a Crown Pack purchase, and then either way you must wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift." If I had been in OP's position and interpreted the article to mean that I could avoid the wait by subscribing, I would be very put off of spending any more money on the game in the future when I found out that I could not and that Support was not explaining the issue adequately. Potential customers are easily alienated when they are misled, even inadvertently. The issue could have been avoided entirely if a copy editor or proofreader had caught it before it was published.

Edited: because apparently we're not allowed to put Bs next to )s without entering emojiland... B)

There is nothing ambiguous in ZOS's language. It clearly says "AND wait 30 days".
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »

There is nothing ambiguous in ZOS's language. It clearly says "AND wait 30 days".

I can see the ambiguity, depending on which conjunction you break up the phrasing. Its the difference between:

"you need to become an ESO Plus member

or

make a Crown Pack purchase and wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift"

"you need to become an ESO Plus member or make a Crown Pack purchase

and wait 30 days in order to gain the ability to gift."

Without punctuation or time words, its not immediately clear which reading is correct.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's not ambiguous. Only if you are purposefully trying to read into it what you want it to say.

I'm not going to go into great detail about the maxims of the cooperative principle of language, but if ZOS had wanted to convey that ESO+ members could gift immediately, they would have said so. Just as saying 'We won some of the matches' means that we didn't win all of the matches despite 'some' being a part of 'all', because if we won them all, we would have said so explicitly.

Not to mention that the twenty (20!) support tickets he got in reply ought to have been enough to suggest that he probably misinterpreted it. :wink:
  • DrowElfMorwen
    DrowElfMorwen
    ✭✭
    The or/and make it pretty clear to me: No matter what you must wait 30 days. That's your answer. It's not ambiguous.
    3d Artist: https://deviantart.com/drowelfmorwen
    Wheel of Time Fan :: James Cameron's Avatar Fan