The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Introducing the Battlemage to ESO

TumlinTheJolly
TumlinTheJolly
✭✭✭✭
People have tossed around the term 'Battlemage' for a very long time. It was quite a popular thing in previous Elder Scrolls games, and many players have asked for it in one way or another since the release of ESO. It was supposedly even going to be one of the initial playable classes.

According to a few wikis:
'During the beta, the Battlemage was planned to be the sixth player class. Along with the Warden, it was scrapped at launch in favor of the four standard classes, though the Warden class later returned to the game in Update 14'.

People want to be able to play a Battlemage. There have been many forum posts recently, asking for options such as weapons scaling off highest stat, or for magicka morphs to be introduced to weapon skills. I believe I have a simpler, more realistic solution... a new 5 piece set. And here it is:

1ozGuI1.jpg

Allow me to explain it a bit.

The issue that we currently have is that while we have plenty of melee skills that scale off mag and spell damage, physical weapon light and heavy attacks still (and rightly so) scale off weapon damage and stam. This means that tools such as Ele Weapon, Knight Slayer etc are still better when paired with a Destro staff. In order to make a 'Battlemage' viable, we need to come up with a solution to this problem - hence this set.

In order to balance the 5 piece bonus (assuming you've built for max mag/spell damage):

X = the difference in damage between light attacking with a physical weapon vs a destro staff, PLUS additional damage equivalent to a 5 piece light attack bonus (such as the bonus provided from Undaunted Infiltrator).

Y = the difference in damage between heavy attacking with a physical weapon vs a destro staff, PLUS additional damage equivalent to a 5 piece heavy attack bonus (such as the bonus provided from Undaunted Infiltrator).

For the RP! : As a tribute to Bound Weapon, this set would provide your weapons with a magical blue glow.

Would people like to see this set? Would you use it? Can you think of any improvements that you would like to see?
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    go back to your necromancer already.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that ESO went back to the archaic D&D idea of restricting play with the classic 'If you pick up a bow, you cannot be skilled be skilled with magic; rather, you shall pick up daggers and we shall call you rogue. Never shall physical weaponry and magic mix or blend!'

Oblivion and Skyrim did not follow this path. If your skill with bow and skill with illusion magic were both leveled up then you could be a very effective 'mystic archer' - an archer who backed up her bow with magic instead of blades. The traditional TES concept has never precluded blending physical weaponry with magic so creating a heavy armor wearing warrior who wielded a blade in one hand and a fireball in the other - with equal skill - was wonderfully and refreshingly doable.

Having come from Oblivion and Skyrim, I appalled by the giant leap backwards in terms of pushing players to either magic or physical weaponry but discouraging blending the two. I still consider that to be one of this wonderful game's larger shortcomings.

So my approach would be way too radical for this point in ESO's evolution. Tie damage to how far you have leveled up a particular skill and use attributes simply to fuel their use.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • TumlinTheJolly
    TumlinTheJolly
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could maybe be a crafted set, so that players would have access to the play style at lower levels.
    Edited by TumlinTheJolly on August 21, 2019 12:41AM
  • Bosov
    Bosov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets fix things first before adding new things... alright?

Also a mage who battles, sounds like a mag dk.
    Edited by Bosov on August 21, 2019 12:43AM
    Xbox One - EU - GT : Bosov
    PC - EU - @Bosov91

ESO Highight :
    https://twitter.com/SlashLurk/status/895068339273310208

• TumlinTheJolly
    TumlinTheJolly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bosov wrote: »

Indeed. I do agree with this!
  • sly007
    sly007
    ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, mag dk don't have a melee magicka weapon, thus, have to use staves.
  • TumlinTheJolly
    TumlinTheJolly
    ✭✭✭✭
    sly007 wrote: »

Sadly, mag dk don't have a melee magicka weapon, thus, have to use staves.

Exaaaactly.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or instead, the 5th effect could read:

Two Handed, Dual Wield, and Sword and Board abilities now scale with magicka and spell damage rather than stamina and weapon damage.
  • TumlinTheJolly
    TumlinTheJolly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elusiin wrote: »
    Or instead, the 5th effect could read:

Two Handed, Dual Wield, and Sword and Board abilities now scale with magicka and spell damage rather than stamina and weapon damage.

Good idea. The problem here is that you'd then be lacking the power of a 5piece bonus. You could maybe make it scale and then also add extra damage... but that would be a pretty complex tooltip.
    Edited by TumlinTheJolly on August 21, 2019 2:43AM
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my view the simplest solution would be to append "and Penetration" after "Damage" in the 5 piece bonus of Pelinal's. With this improvement to Pelinal's and considerate selection of skills in terms of Skill Coefficients, a Battlemage of any class may be viable in both CP and No CP.

for reference:

https://esoitem.uesp.net/viewSkillCoef.php
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Best thing to do is wear medium armour and pelinals. Then wear sets that give magicka and weapon damage, no spell power. Voila - battle mage.

It’s not ideal, reason being your crit ends up being very low and you’ll have sustain issues from the missing light armour passives. Never tried it but I was theorycrafting a build with it:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=166272
    Edited by Iskiab on August 21, 2019 3:38AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab I suppose this new Onslaught does mitigate the Penetration issue rather well, at least if you can generate Ult quickly enough to make it more than a seldom buff. As for sustain, I see this build is nearly all Mag skills. Mixing it up with Mag and Stam skills actually makes sustain excellent, in my experience, but the attendant motivation to split Max Stats discourages the use of skills with Coefficients that give greater weight to Stat than Damage.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, as mag I never use abilities that cost stamina. Breaking free, dodge rolls and blocking’s too important.

That build is without CPs or unrealistic buffs like 500 stacks of balrog. The tooltips look decent enough so I was tempted to try it out, but haven’t gotten around to collecting the transmutation stones.

For pve the lack of crit would hurt the build, IDK I’d it would work. You could use better sets though.

Ult gen can be done by setting up on the resto bar with ranged light attacks/heals, then only engage when onslaught’s up. Idk how it would play really, but the tooltip’s look decent apart from crit.

I was thinking if I tried it I’d go Nord and bloodspawn.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 21, 2019 4:09AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another point on sustain - while using Medium gives you 15% more power, or 30% I guess you could say, if you were to wear 7 heavy and Black Rose, mix it up with Mag and Stam skills, I think you would find incomparable sustain. In fact, in my view, this excellent sustain would be the best reason to run Pelinal's.

The limitation I've found is I end up using one, or maybe two, skills that I wouldn't use without Pelinal's, and it's just not a good enough reason to use it over another 5 piece. I am speaking from the perspective of a Stam character using Mag morphs, rather than what @Iskiab and @TumlinTheJolly seem to be contemplating, a Mag character using Stam weapons.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab Yes I see that, your motivation to try Pelinal's was to make good use of Onslaught on a mag build? Like many StamDKs the new Seething Fury passive recently motivated me to try it out again to make use of Whip, but as was expected, it seems I'm better off just leaving Whip for the passive and picking a 5 piece which buffs Stam abilities, and saving my Mag for buffs and defensive skills.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Iskiab Yes I see that, your motivation to try Pelinal's was to make good use of Onslaught on a mag build? Like many StamDKs the new Seething Fury passive recently motivated me to try it out again to make use of Whip, but as was expected, it seems I'm better off just leaving Whip for the passive and picking a 5 piece which buffs Stam abilities, and saving my Mag for buffs and defensive skills.

Couple reasons. Medium armour weapon damage buffs are nice, especially combined with fighter’s guild abilities etc... In no-CP where mag’s missing the magicka CP boost it’s difficult to get high tooltips.

That plus onslaught yea, especially since light attacks with 2h or DWs scale with stamina and weapon damage. Destro staff passives are terrible, so a lot of magblades use 2hs and eat the light attack damage loss, so pelinals is a good work around.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 21, 2019 4:23AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab Interesting, I guess one problem here is heavy attacks with Resto Staff for sustain aren't very worthwhile? Also I'm sure you just overlooked it on that build page, but don't forget your Berserker enchant. That Onslaught tooltip would look quite a bit better with it. Of course it is true that Pelinal's is strongest on a MagPlar or a StamDK, given the access to Minor Sorcery / Brutality, but a 2h using MagBlade in Pelinal's is a novel enough idea you should definitely give it a try, but don't disregard the idea of using 5 heavy, granted you might not have Balorgh in Heavy. It's only a slight improvement to sustain on this build but it might be worth the loss of damage.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab possibly one thing we are hinting at here is that on a Battlemage (i.e. wizard using stam weapons), Pelinal's improves overall damage at the cost of sustain, whereas on a Spellsword (warrior casting spells), Pelinal's improves overall sustain at the cost of damage.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TumlinTheJolly Our apologies for derailing this conversation into a discussion about Pelinal's, but with all the recent changes to skills, there's probably lots of new ideas to be explored with Pelinal's. Seething Fury and Onslaught are just a couple of recent changes that elicit Pelinal dreams. Have you tried it on your builds at all?
  • TumlinTheJolly
    TumlinTheJolly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ya I have... The issue I find with it is that (while medium passives are great), you're kinda giving up a 5piece to get it, so its dps ends up being sub par. It could do with a second 5 piece bonus of a wee bit of extra weapon and spell damage IMO.
    Edited by TumlinTheJolly on August 21, 2019 5:39AM
  • mairwen85
    mairwen85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "we don't need another hybris set because we already have one" isn't really a counter argument to OP, it's actually a restatement of the problem OP is suggestion a solution to.

I'd love a more classic TES approach, but I can't see it becoming a reality this late in the games life. Not with how theyve created class skills and racial passives.
    Edited by mairwen85 on August 21, 2019 6:07AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have tossed around the term 'Battlemage' for a very long time. It was quite a popular thing in previous Elder Scrolls games, and many players have asked for it in one way or another since the release of ESO. It was supposedly even going to be one of the initial playable classes.

'During the beta, the Battlemage was planned to be the sixth player class. Along with the Warden, it was scrapped at launch in favor of the four standard classes, though the Warden class later returned to the game in Update 14'.

People want to be able to play a Battlemage. There have been many forum posts recently, asking for options such as weapons scaling off highest stat, or for magicka morphs to be introduced to weapon skills. I believe I have a simpler, more realistic solution... a new 5 piece set. And here it is:

1ozGuI1.jpg

The issue that we currently have is that while we have plenty of melee skills that scale off mag and spell damage, physical weapon light and heavy attacks still (and rightly so) scale off weapon damage and stam. This means that tools such as Ele Weapon, Knight Slayer etc are still better when paired with a Destro staff. In order to make a 'Battlemage' viable, we need to come up with a solution to this problem - hence this set.

In order to balance the 5 piece bonus (assuming you've built for max mag/spell damage):

X = the difference in damage between light attacking with a physical weapon vs a destro staff, PLUS additional damage equivalent to a 5 piece light attack bonus (such as the bonus provided from Undaunted Infiltrator).

Y = the difference in damage between heavy attacking with a physical weapon vs a destro staff, PLUS additional damage equivalent to a 5 piece heavy attack bonus (such as the bonus provided from Undaunted Infiltrator).

For the RP! : As a tribute to Bound Weapon, this set would provide your weapons with a magical blue glow.

Would people like to see this set? Would you use it? Can you think of any improvements that you would like to see?

We had MagDW for years, which was better than this set suggestion.
    People thought it was an abomination, and ZOS killed it slowly patch after patch after patch. It seems unlikely they will bring it back.

They like Wizards to have wands..Potter fans over LOTR...
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss soft caps
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see a Conjuration skill line soon, one to allow conjured weapons and summonable creatures as temporary pets, like a daedroth.

My suggestion is to have something like the bound armor skill, while slotted your magical weapon (staff) will be replaced with a conjured weapon with certain buffs and limitations.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • TumlinTheJolly
    TumlinTheJolly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

1ozGuI1.jpg

We had MagDW for years, which was better than this set suggestion.
    People thought it was an abomination, and ZOS killed it slowly patch after patch after patch. It seems unlikely they will bring it back.

They like Wizards to have wands..Potter fans over LOTR...

True... but this was more a PvP burst combo thing. And back in the day not everybody realised how important animation canceling was. LAs are far stronger now though, so you do have a fair point. Still, personally I don't think these nerfs to the play style were intentionally aimed at said play style, and the community definitely seem to miss it.
    Edited by TumlinTheJolly on August 21, 2019 10:27AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A magplar with sweeps can feel pretty battlemagey as she swings her spear of light. Only thing is that you need to really go all in on the 'mag' bit because sustaining sweeps is very costly - at least 5 light pieces of armor, Seducers, Channeled Focus, Elemental Drain. . . . A heavy armor costume can make her more look the part though.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on August 23, 2019 11:26PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that ESO went back to the archaic D&D idea of restricting play with the classic 'If you pick up a bow, you cannot be skilled be skilled with magic; rather, you shall pick up daggers and we shall call you rogue. Never shall physical weaponry and magic mix or blend!'

Oblivion and Skyrim did not follow this path. If your skill with bow and skill with illusion magic were both leveled up then you could be a very effective 'mystic archer' - an archer who backed up her bow with magic instead of blades. The traditional TES concept has never precluded blending physical weaponry with magic so creating a heavy armor wearing warrior who wielded a blade in one hand and a fireball in the other - with equal skill - was wonderfully and refreshingly doable.

Having come from Oblivion and Skyrim, I appalled by the giant leap backwards in terms of pushing players to either magic or physical weaponry but discouraging blending the two. I still consider that to be one of this wonderful game's larger shortcomings.

So my approach would be way too radical for this point in ESO's evolution. Tie damage to how far you have leveled up a particular skill and use attributes simply to fuel their use.

You can use a bow as a nightblade and use illusion magic, like cloak, fear, blur, shades etc.
    You dont have to use daggers at all.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You know I was messing about thinking if pelinals could be used in pve. Stam are higher dps in trials afterall, maybe medium armour's a big reason.

I was playing around and came up with this. Think this is feasible? IDK, crit looks low to me but when looking at the effective spell power nirnhoned came up higher then precise so maybe the weapon/spell damage is high enough to offset the difference.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=172437

Anyone play PvE enough to tell, or want to take it for a spin on PTS?
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Edited the build again, looks promising but IDK, the low crit will really hurt in PvE. It's also interesting that dots end up coming out ahead of impale sub 25%, might be best to add lotus fan or shade (if it's boosted by the bow weapon damage) instead. Maybe relentless, IDK.

Dot tooltips come out to 40k without the Soul Harvest buff.
    Edited by Iskiab on August 21, 2019 4:00PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dk is the closest to a battle mage you can get. They do need to add a melee magick weapon what ever it is just because melee magick builds get range punishments with the staff even though they are melee. Like longer heavy attacks.
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc