The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Deadly Strike set in new DoT meta?

Holycannoli
Holycannoli
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Haven't seen the set mentioned in any new guides. It's a constant +14% DoT damage but only for physical, bleed, poison or disease damage. Also amazingly easy to acquire.

It's also medium armor and that could be it's biggest drawback and the main reason why it's never recommended. The usual recommendation seems to be heavy armor that increases weapon damage, which I actually agree with. I'm just wondering why a set with an obvious bonus like +14% isn't being recommended anywhere. The rare medium armor recommendation I see is Bone Pirate's Tatters (admittedly an excellent recommendation).

Obviously magicka DoT builds won't be using Deadly Strike, but Soul Trap can be physical damage, bow skills can be poison damage etc. and they will be buffed by the set.

Just looking for insight as I adjust to this patch in my downtime from work.
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried it on my dotcro, and I felt really strong. BUT I also felt strong not using it and getting a different 5 piece. so most fights it wasn't worth it. but with vma dw tanks melt ( I hated the tank meta so I cherish watching them squirm) so its not that its bad there is just better options I think. 14 percent is more of a boost on a 21m parse than on a 20-30k player ( i run deadly on my pve stamcro)
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam DKs could possible make good use of it with soul trap being what it is, but I think the issue is that it doesn’t necessarily out perform other damage sets that would also boost heals and direct damage.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doesn't help healing so poor set for this patch. Unless you're a NB.
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on August 19, 2019 3:59PM
    PC EU
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the PvE side, it just can't really compete with Lokkestiiz. Lokkestiiz is a 15% boost to all of your damage done instead of 14% only to damage over time. Even if you assume that the only synergy you are getting is orbs, the damage will probably be roughly even between the two sets. If you have 2 consistent synergies then Lokkestiiz pulls far ahead.

That said, I don't think Deadly Strikes is a bad choice if you don't have Lokkestiiz or if you're not expecting to get synergies or if you are in a group that's still running a lot of War Machine and Master Architect.
  • jkolb2030
    jkolb2030
    ✭✭✭
    I have ot agree with the majority on this one...

I bought the deadly set and tried it out in BGs on my stamdk and it felt good, but it didn't feel good enough that I would run it long term i don't think...

If you have the set, great - its worth running with another sustain / defensive set!

If you dont have the set, probably not worth the coin or farming time to get it - there are other sets that are easier / cheaper to obtain.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ATreeGnome wrote: »
    On the PvE side, it just can't really compete with Lokkestiiz. Lokkestiiz is a 15% boost to all of your damage done instead of 14% only to damage over time. Even if you assume that the only synergy you are getting is orbs, the damage will probably be roughly even between the two sets. If you have 2 consistent synergies then Lokkestiiz pulls far ahead.

That said, I don't think Deadly Strikes is a bad choice if you don't have Lokkestiiz or if you're not expecting to get synergies or if you are in a group that's still running a lot of War Machine and Master Architect.

What is Lokkestiiz?

I spend majority of time in Cyrodiil, BGs and imp city so alliance points for Deadly Strike set are easier for me than acquiring gold to purchase from guild vendors. Don’t run trials, rarely run dungeons, don’t even have a guild.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got myself a set last night (on advice of another forum user, cheers) to pair with Vicious Ophidian (cant do newer trials cos Australia lag). Felt pretty good on my Khajiit Staminancer, might take a bit if getting used to, but the extra weapon damage is helpful too with the FD nerf
  • Xogath
    Xogath
    ✭✭✭
    "New" DoT meta? DoTs have been the meta in this game for years now. Just because the Soul Magic DoT was buffed in to ridiculousness doesn't mean the DoT meta is new.. not by any means.

IIRC, Stamblades can safely abandon Surprise Attack this patch and use Flurry instead.. a channeled DoT, instead of their class-based spammable.

Anyway, having the option to play DoT-heavy builds like this is a good thing, don't get me wrong. But when it is the only option, as it is now, it's.. well, less than fun.
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xogath wrote: »
    "New" DoT meta? DoTs have been the meta in this game for years now. Just because the Soul Magic DoT was buffed in to ridiculousness doesn't mean the DoT meta is new.. not by any means.

IIRC, Stamblades can safely abandon Surprise Attack this patch and use Flurry instead.. a channeled DoT, instead of their class-based spammable.

Anyway, having the option to play DoT-heavy builds like this is a good thing, don't get me wrong. But when it is the only option, as it is now, it's.. well, less than fun.

Regarding pve stamblade dropping SA for flurry, the problem I have is the lack of major ward, unless your using shade, but I always prefer vigour
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nm
  • FoulSnowpaw
    FoulSnowpaw
    ✭✭✭
    Oblivion Foe set
    +1000 Weapon and Spell Damage to Soul Trap ability

Deadly Strike set
    +14% Physical, Poison, Bleed dot

Maelstrom Dagger
    +1000 Weapon and Spell Damage to dot ability after using Flurry

Soul Trapis pretty powerful at this point
  • ATreeGnome
    ATreeGnome
    ✭✭✭✭
    ATreeGnome wrote: »

What is Lokkestiiz?

I spend majority of time in Cyrodiil, BGs and imp city so alliance points for Deadly Strike set are easier for me than acquiring gold to purchase from guild vendors. Don’t run trials, rarely run dungeons, don’t even have a guild.

It's a set that gives Major Slayer when you use a synergy, not useful outside of trials/dungeons.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oblivion Foe set
    +1000 Weapon and Spell Damage to Soul Trap ability

Deadly Strike set
    +14% Physical, Poison, Bleed dot

Maelstrom Dagger
    +1000 Weapon and Spell Damage to dot ability after using Flurry

Soul Trapis pretty powerful at this point

Pretty sure most enjoy not dying in 2 seconds and actually having stamina to use on skills.
  • butterrum222
    butterrum222
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if this set buffs relequin? From a pve dps perspective
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put together a quick build with Bloodspawn, Clever-alch and Deadly for my Stamcro. It actually shreds so I've just left it as is 5 med 2 heavy 2DW/2H.

^High weap dmg, dece recovery (partially because you're spamming pots) and good HP for your Scythe to scale off/survive.

You have a fair bit in the kit to survive with Totem, Armor pull mini stun to Totem, Guardian, Scythe to a name but a few as necro who also get a 10% DoT passive it seems to work well, Just DoT the living daylights out of them with bloodcraze, soul trap, axes, double dot poison, rend etc and watch the panic while sitting in a totem spamming fear giving 8% minor prot.
    Edited by KBKB on August 21, 2019 6:26PM