The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is critical surge not a stamina morph?

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm just curious why they don't do it a stamina morph??? It gives "weapon Power", which Magicka sorcerer needs this???
  • Schattenfluegel
    Schattenfluegel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why should they? Surge runs a few seconds, the problem is, it gives ONLY Weapon DMG...the skillcost isnt the problem, actually

One Morph should heal each other, the other morph should give Major Brutality and Major Sorcery with Heals to Crit Hits...it would solve this problem. But...ZOS
    Edited by Schattenfluegel on August 18, 2019 9:12AM
    Love my Stamsorc
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    I'm just curious why they don't do it a stamina morph??? It gives "weapon Power", which Magicka sorcerer needs this???

Because all stamina builds should have some magicka abilities to use that magicka pool and prevent dummies from whining that stamina users need only stamina.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My stam archer appreciates having one or two skills (Crit Surge and Soul Trap) that use mag to help her stam sustain. If every skill she used in her rotation ate stam, it would hurt her sustain.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you want it to cost stamina?! Its free damage!
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Crit Surge in its current form (no Major Sorcery) is a "stamina" morph, it was clearly intended to be used by stamsorcs.

But on stamina builds it's good to have at least some buff abilities which cost magicka, since otherwise you aren't using the magicka for anything else really.

The opposite is NOT true on magicka builds - you really need to conserve stamina to be able to dodge/breakfree/sprint when needed, so generally speaking it's a really bad idea to be casting any stam abilities on a mag build.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crit surge is a good self heal for any magsorc or stamsorc really. Magsorcs can get their Major Sorcery from other places.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because all stamina builds should have some magicka abilities to use that magicka pool and prevent dummies from whining that stamina users need only stamina.

I agreed partially with that, but not in every case Magicka skills should be use to prevent stamina be the only pool for stamina builds.

I'm a developer for a company in Germany (not of video games) and when I plan a project I like to set rules, be consequent and specially I don't like to do things that goes against these principles only because it would be the fastest or easy solution. If something doesn't follow the logic then that means I don't have to patch it with a botched job, no! It has to be rethink!

In my opinion this skill is clear stamina oriented skill and it should cost stamina.

If the skill would give also major sorcery then maybe ok, but it does not.

Also now zos implemented in some skills that cost Magicka, that they do damage based on your highest offensive stat.

In my opinion again an inconsequent decision that will someday in the future make someone say: "why it was done like that??"

It f it does damage depending on your highest offensive stats then it should cost Magicka or stamina also depending on that.

Illogical decisions bring in the future chaos and architecture problems.

Edited by teladoy on August 18, 2019 3:20PM
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamina players love and want some few magicka skills, they give some breath to stamina spent, specially buffs.
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the appeal of Magicka costing skills for Stamina based characters is serving as a off resource dump. I see the logic argument but not everything gameplay wise should be based in reasoning. There should be room for creative, out of the box considerations as long as it isn't silly.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crit surge is a good self heal for any magsorc or stamsorc really. Magsorcs can get their Major Sorcery from other places.

But they should be getting Major Sorcery from Surge and Crit Surge, as Surge is a Sorcerer class skill. So why on earth would Major Sorcery only be available on Power Surge, the group heal morph which is primarily for Sorc healers (of which there are not many compared to DPS Sorcs anyway), leaving Crit Surge, the self-heal morph used by all DPS Sorcs with only Major Brutality???

It just doesn't make sense.

@ZOS please just do the right thing and add Major Sorcery to base Surge/Crit Surge.

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real losers on the change to Power Surge are pet sorcs. They are so darn tight on bar space (since each pet eats two slots) that slotting more skills is a problem. Pet sorcs generally remorphed to Crit Surge to keep the self heals but then are faced with the dilemma of adding another skill to a terribly tight pair of bars (Entropy) or getting addicted to popping potions every 50 seconds or so. Or farming a heavy armor set (Rattlecage) for very specific pieces to remain a light armor mage. Regardless, it gives less options to magsorcs.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real losers on the change to Power Surge are pet sorcs. They are so darn tight on bar space (since each pet eats two slots) that slotting more skills is a problem.

Petsorcs' worries about bar space are over now, since the nerfed Twilight is now pretty much useless for anything :trollface:
    From what I've heard, it doesn't even proc the new Power Surge... what a joke...
  • Saril_Durzam
    Saril_Durzam
    ✭✭✭✭
    Petsorcs are extint, if we call petsorcs the 2 pets style. Vollatile will be played and there is some more free skill slots there.
    Edited by Saril_Durzam on August 19, 2019 2:08PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't disagree on pet sorcs being endangered. I've always maintained that a sorc without pets plays like a magblade only not as effectively.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The skill works wonderfully stamina builds as it is. Gives us major Brutality and we get heals without costing the same resource we use to do damage and dodge roll/block.

Why do you want to mess up a good thing?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »
    The real losers on the change to Power Surge are pet sorcs. They are so darn tight on bar space (since each pet eats two slots) that slotting more skills is a problem.

Petsorcs' worries about bar space are over now, since the nerfed Twilight is now pretty much useless for anything :trollface:
    From what I've heard, it doesn't even proc the new Power Surge... what a joke...

I don't think pets can proc anything. Their damage was never able to proc the old Power Surge and it seems like their healing cannot proc the new Power Surge. They also cannot proc sets like Ilambris.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a sorcerer tank, and I did try the group healing morph for a short time. The Matriarch did proc the Power Surge heal when it achieved a critical. Dark Deal also triggered it on a crit heal. I don't remember that skill being able to crit, feels weird but I do like that change/fix.

Aside from that, it's still only actually effective if you are also using Echoing Vigor or some abilities from the Healing Staff, which I do not on my build.
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a sorcerer tank, and I did try the group healing morph for a short time. The Matriarch did proc the Power Surge heal when it achieved a critical. Dark Deal also triggered it on a crit heal. I don't remember that skill being able to crit, feels weird but I do like that change/fix.

Aside from that, it's still only actually effective if you are also using Echoing Vigor or some abilities from the Healing Staff, which I do not on my build.

I completely disagree. Blood altar exists.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Altar is MUCH better than the new Power Surge for group healing:
    • Huge radius
    • Heal SCALES with offensive stats
    • Heals every second instead of every 3 seconds
    • Most importantly... attacking more enemies = MORE HEALING

If you're running a sorc healer then just slot Entropy + Altar and be done with it.
    Unless it's a stamsorc healer, in which case just use Crit Surge + Altar.

And in any case, both of those heals are completely overshadowed by Illustrious + Radiating...
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major_Lag wrote: »
    Yep, Altar is MUCH better than the new Power Surge for group healing:
    • Huge radius
    • Heal SCALES with offensive stats
    • Heals every second instead of every 3 seconds
    • Most importantly... attacking more enemies = MORE HEALING

If you're running a sorc healer then just slot Entropy + Altar and be done with it.
    Unless it's a stamsorc healer, in which case just use Crit Surge + Altar.

And in any case, both of those heals are completely overshadowed by Illustrious + Radiating...
    • Huge radius -both of them
    • Heal SCALES with offensive stats - wrong?
    • Heals every second instead of every 3 seconds - true, but altar heal is smaller.
    • Most importantly... attacking more enemies = MORE HEALING - wrong again
    • no target cap on blood altar - wait thats not your points
    • scales with the crit chance of your dds - wait thats not your point.
    • why not both? - yep i plan on running power surge + altar to support my group, on a tank though.
    • To be honest the cooldown time on it doesn't make it good imho and makes it too much of an rng if it saves a person or not, and it doesnt make people reconsider into running a sorc as a healer, since you know, they bring NOTHING SPECIAL TO THE GROUP. If it had a unique synergy... Something like activating minor prophecy for 25 seconds+ generating 10 ultimate... Then. Then sorc healers would be a bit considered.
    Edited by zvavi on August 19, 2019 7:14PM
  • malistorr
    malistorr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely add Major Sorcery to Surge/Crit Surge as some have suggested above. I hate using Structured Entropy and don't want to have to use Rattlecage for a gear set. Using pots for it is not a viable option as they're expensive and don't last very long. This is the biggest thing I hate about the latest update (losing a convenient way of getting Major Sorcery), which is mandatory for mag sorc. FIX THIS ZOS!