The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Questions on Cyrodiil

winged_tortoise
After reading DrBeats "Dipping you toe in Cyrodiil PvP (PC) Beginners Guide" on Redit I took my first small step into Cyrodiil last night. It was fun but a little confusing and left me with some questions:

1. Can I use a siege engine more than once? If not do I break it down the same way I set it up, use my 'Q' Key?

2. What can I do to avoid being killed by boiling oil and opposing siege engines? I died while running into the keep (through the second breach). By the time I ran back everyone was gone.

3. What should I carry into battle? Last night I carried a bali. Now I have two trebs, siege repair kits and a couple of wall repair kits. Should I carry more? Should all of this go into my bank vault when not playing Cyrodiil?

4. Should I use Zone Chat to find a place to contribute and am I best off just showing up with my Trebs and blasting on the same wall everyone else is hitting?

Thanks! Looking forward understanding and contributing
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Can I use a siege engine more than once? If not do I break it down the same way I set it up, use my 'Q' Key?

They have a health bar, which reduces from damage taken and shots fired. If it still has health you can pick it up provided you were the one who put it down. Come close to the siege and you'll see a prompt to use it or put it away.
    2. What can I do to avoid being killed by boiling oil and opposing siege engines? I died while running into the keep (through the second breach). By the time I ran back everyone was gone.

Some combination of Purge, Siege Shield, snare immunity, and healing. A well sieged breech is a deathtrap. Judging what you can and cannot get through with who you have around you takes practice. Sometimes you just need to open a second breech.
    3. What should I carry into battle? Last night I carried a bali. Now I have two trebs, siege repair kits and a couple of wall repair kits. Should I carry more? Should all of this go into my bank vault when not playing Cyrodiil?

- Some form of siege for taking fortifications. I like plain ballistas but plain trebs and rams are also useful. Trebs you can run 4, ballistas you can run 3. Rams require 3 to work and adding more up to 6 makes them do more damage. If you can see the player counter on your screen, you are in ram range. You can be in ram range and also operate ballistas.

- Some form of counter-siege for defending. Oils and meatbags are always useful. You can run 3 oils over a breech easily. If oils and meatbags are already up, scattershot, lightning and fire ballistas. will help. Cold Fire Ballistas are the best by far. You get those from dolmens in Cyro.

- RE: siege kits: I only repair coldfire. The rest isn't worth it. You do want door and wall repair kits.

- When you have the AP to afford it, forward camps can save an engagement. You don't need to save AP to rank up your Alliance skill lines, you just have to earn it.

- Be sure you have your food and potions. Immovable and tri potions are strong favorites. Invis/Speed pots are useful if you aren't a NB and want to get away. Conversely, detect/immov pots for pesky cloaked/invisible people.

It doesn't matter where you store any of this, but you can transfer it from character to character if you play multiples.
    4. Should I use Zone Chat to find a place to contribute and am I best off just showing up with my Trebs and blasting on the same wall everyone else is hitting?

Zone Chat can be good or it can be horrible advice. You don't yet know who is talking or if they have a clue, so knowing where to go is rough. Rallying to defend important objectives is usually going to be the best zone calls you can pick up and respond to. (Important = your faction's trikeeps first, home keeps second and sometimes anywhere with a scroll your faction has.)

Pugging around (aka "I'm solo with all these friendly players here") is something everyone does from time to time but as a new chum, joining a group picking up in zone will help you find activities. Some of these groups will be, like zone chat, good or horrible. But if you are frustrated at randomly running around trying to find fights it will help you get your feet wet for sure and maybe make new pvp friends.

Your willingness to buy siege and use it makes you a 3-star new chum. Welcome to Cyrodiil! You're going to die. We all do, here. :D
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LFG will stay with Crown can get you in a group.

Also, if you die, you may sometimes want to wait as someone will resurrect you, especially if you are in a group.

Having Siege equipment is a good thing.

Also, the 7 day Resource Campaigns are good for learning the map, as you tend to move all over the map quicker. And, less Keep battles where you have to worry about defense. And, getting used to group dynamics.

Voice Comms is key, you don't have to have a microphone but you do need to listen

And, yes, you will die. Often. Everyone does.
    Edited by Nestor on July 25, 2019 5:10PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division has a good primer on PVP here on the boards, read that. It will help

• winged_tortoise
    Thanks Nestor and Brook!

I like the recommendation: "LFG will stay with Crown". It brings up the question. How do I know who the Crown is? Is there a way to tell who the crown is on Zone Chat? Is there some way to tell where he is on the map. I have yet to group in ESO. Is the crown just the group leader?

I looked for Joy's Guide. Are you talking about--"Joy's New and Improved Guide to Beating Maelstrom Arena"?

Unless I’m playing on a console their is no in game voice chat, right?
    Edited by winged_tortoise on July 25, 2019 6:13PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a odd name, but still good PvP advice

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event#

When you are in a group, you will see markers on the map for all group members. And if your in proximity, you will see markers over the players. One is shaped like a crown, that is the leader.

People on PC use either Discord or Teamspeak. I think there is a preference to Teamspeak with its push to talk feature. Just have both installed ahead of time so you can connect as needed.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another guide

https://youtu.be/bAmaLygmBes

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    It has a odd name, but still good PvP advice

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/360956/joy-s-advice-for-midyear-mayhem-event#

When you are in a group, you will see markers on the map for all group members. And if your in proximity, you will see markers over the players. One is shaped like a crown, that is the leader.

People on PC use either Discord or Teamspeak. I think there is a preference to Teamspeak with its push to talk feature. Just have both installed ahead of time so you can connect as needed.

Discord has push to talk too. It seems to be the most popular voice comms for pug groups -- probably largely because it's free to use.

What platform and faction are you on, OP? Perhaps people can recommend a starter group to look for.
  • winged_tortoise
    Awesome, thanks.

I’m on NA PC and belong to the Daggerfall Covenant
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chapterhouse and Best Laid Plans pick up in zone most nights. If the two, I'd recommend BLP.

At times I have seen Blood of Daggerfall and Iron Legion pick up in zone and advertise recruitment for the guilds but I am not sure what their normal status is.
  • winged_tortoise
    Thanks Brook!
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    There is also a tutorial when you first spawn in Cyrodiil.
    Completing it gives you 2 skill points.

Depending on what faction you are playing,
    for DC you can get the quest from the NPC standing by the big door in South High rock.
    For the other 2 factions, I'll just guess it's still by a big door in one of their gates.

Rolling with a group is a good starting point.
    Later on, you can try soloing but going alone you would have to know how to read the map.

Good luck in Cyrodiil!

(Yes, everyone dies here.)

EDIT: Forgot to point out that if you are new, the best campaign for you to start with would be the lowbie PvP (level < 50). Mulaamnir. (?)
    Edited by smee_z on July 26, 2019 12:28AM
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Discord has push to talk too. It seems to be the most popular voice comms for pug groups -- probably largely because it's free to use.

What platform and faction are you on, OP? Perhaps people can recommend a starter group to look for.

Forgot that about Discord. I just set my mic sensitivity so I have speak up a bit to activate it.

One thing to remember, the Teamspeak Client is free to use, it is the Server that costs money. Discord servers are free, hence the Pug popularity. So you won't have to pay to join a Teamspeak server.

• Claire
    Claire
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome, thanks.

I’m on NA PC and belong to the Daggerfall Covenant

Which campaign are you playing?
  • winged_tortoise
    Hi Claire!
    Mulaamnir
    Edited by winged_tortoise on July 30, 2019 9:02PM
  • Claire
    Claire
    ✭✭✭
    If you ever run on Yolnahkriin, find me in zone. I'd be happy to pick you up in group and take you on the $0.50 tour.
  • winged_tortoise
    Thanks!